2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Miami is a very holistic school. MCAT/GPA only makes up about 35% of the scoring/rubric. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
MPH applicants, what are you putting for the anything else prompt?

My letters of rec are not in, I'm going to call tomorrow to see why. I'm assuming it's just a volume issue on their end, because other schools have them.

I'll post here with what they say.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My letters of rec are not in, I'm going to call tomorrow to see why. I'm assuming it's just a volume issue on their end, because other schools have them.

I'll post here with what they say.
Same. I emailed them and will also post updates when I hear back.

Reactions: 3 users
For the chronological list questions are you guys still writing them out in paragraph format?

What are your guys' brief descriptions of your activities like? How similar are they to your AMCAS descriptions?

What are your guys' brief descriptions of your activities like? How similar are they to your AMCAS descriptions?
I made mine a lot more brief. Two to three sentences for me

Reactions: 1 users
For AP courses used to fill prereqs, what did y'all put as the grade? What it says on the transcript or just something like "AP Credit" ?

For AP courses used to fill prereqs, what did y'all put as the grade? What it says on the transcript or just something like "AP Credit" ?
I put what appeared on my transcript

on my transcript no grade or pass or anything appears so I left it blank

How is anyone getting 300+ words for the hobbies and sports prompts??

How is anyone getting 300+ words for the hobbies and sports prompts??
I found sports easy to talk about for a long time, just because I have learned so much from my involvement. However, hobbies had so much overlap with other parts of the application, it's just a couple sentences.

Do we think it's okay to be close to 500 words for even the optional prompts, as long as it isn't "fluff"? I'm seeing a lot of posts saying that it's okay to not write much, and now I'm wondering if I'm writing way more than anyone would read.

I found sports easy to talk about for a long time, just because I have learned so much from my involvement. However, hobbies had so much overlap with other parts of the application, it's just a couple sentences.

Do we think it's okay to be close to 500 words for even the optional prompts, as long as it isn't "fluff"? I'm seeing a lot of posts saying that it's okay to not write much, and now I'm wondering if I'm writing way more than anyone would read.
My interpretation for the whole optional section was that they were playing it chill. "Like homie, what sports you play. We need a new WR for our intramural team".

So my responses were pretty short and to the point (less than 250 and most less than 100). You shouldn't have a problem either way if you're still under the limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone marked complete yet? Just submitted and it says they haven't received my LoRs, but I'm assuming it'll update by tomorrow

wow didnt realize this school required 2 quarter classes of biochemistry.... only have 1
is it even worth applying now?
I'm having the same issue and I've called admissions, but they told me to email. I'm worried they'll take forever to reply and the rest of my application materials are completed so I honestly just want to submit lol.

But I read on reddit that an applicant last year had the same issue and admissions responded saying that they either had to take another quarter of biochem before matriculation OR if they took 3 quarters of ochem, one of the classes could be used for the biochem requirement.

I emailed admissions to confirm whether this was true or not, I'll update when I get an answer!

Last edited:
anyone know if it takes a little bit for LOR to be received? just submitted my secondary but says that LOR are missing. do I need to do anything or will they automatically transfer from AMCAS?

anyone know if it takes a little bit for LOR to be received? just submitted my secondary but says that LOR are missing. do I need to do anything or will they automatically transfer from AMCAS?
Having the same issue also, I'm going to wait a day or two before contacting them

I just called and was told to wait and see if they show up in their system. She said to check again in one week o_O

I just called and was told to wait and see if they show up in their system. She said to check again in one week o_O
Yep complete everywhere else but LOR not in at UM. I betcha nobody has them checked off yet :unsure:

For those more familiar with Casper, when is the best time to take it? I haven't received a secondary invite (just the acknowledgment of primary received) for UM yet, and am an OSS. I also applied to another FL school that requires it.
Also, any general advice about it? I know some schools are using it as preliminary data, but some don't.

thanks!

For those more familiar with Casper, when is the best time to take it? I haven't received a secondary invite (just the acknowledgment of primary received) for UM yet, and am an OSS. I also applied to another FL school that requires it.
Also, any general advice about it? I know some schools are using it as preliminary data, but some don't.

thanks!
Take it as soon as possible. It takes about 3 weeks to grade. Literally sign up for the next available date. If you want to study just take the practice test that is on their site.

For some reason after I paid the fee and submitted my app, I clicked on the application status check link they sent in the confirmation email and the link does not work? Anyone else experienced this?

Alright y'all, gonna swing back around to the controversial new question. "What have you done to help identify, address and correct an issue of systematic discrimination?" How are we approaching this? Systematic discrimination refers to methodical, deliberately planned discrimination. Systemic discrimination refers to pervasive discrimination that is ingrained in our society. I really can't think of any examples in my life where I've witnessed deliberate, systematic discrimination as in an institution with a formula in place for discrimination. Are you all ignoring their terminology and just focusing on addressing general instances of discrimination? (I.e. small steps taken to educate myself and others, challenging microaggressions, etc.)

Alright y'all, gonna swing back around to the controversial new question. "What have you done to help identify, address and correct an issue of systematic discrimination?" How are we approaching this? Systematic discrimination refers to methodical, deliberately planned discrimination. Systemic discrimination refers to pervasive discrimination that is ingrained in our society. I really can't think of any examples in my life where I've witnessed deliberate, systematic discrimination as in an institution with a formula in place for discrimination. Are you all ignoring their terminology and just focusing on addressing general instances of discrimination? (I.e. small steps taken to educate myself and others, challenging microaggressions, etc.)

been thinking about this for a day lol, not a great use of the springtime of youth. given my general impression of the question I am just assuming theyre using systemic and systematic interchangeably, cause I doubt many of us have combat experience against the KKK. will be writing about combatting more interpersonal discrimination in my community

I just talked about advocacy, to be honest. I mentioned a couple things I've been involved in to support people and address discrimination, and hopefully the sum of those multiple experiences will add up to something...closer to addressing systematic discrimination than one experience alone?

been thinking about this for a day lol, not a great use of the springtime of youth. given my general impression of the question I am just assuming theyre using systemic and systematic interchangeably, cause I doubt many of us have combat experience against the KKK. will be writing about combatting more interpersonal discrimination in my community

Racism and white supremacy do not only refer to the KKK or interpersonal racism. You are living through a global pandemic that disproportionately impacts people of color. You've taken the biostats, public health, and epidemiology classes to know that black americans are burdened by chronic conditions at a higher rate, even when adjusted for SES. You should also understand the social determinants of health like exposure to harms that are prevalent in majority black communities that are not in white suburbs.

Work toward dismantling systemic racism does NOT mean that you've "fixed" it. Identification is still a huge part because there are people reading that prompt and having conversations about how racism IS NOT systemic. That lie is pervasive and work to correct that lie, is a contribution. The school is looking for fit. I don't mean this in a mean way, but if this question is so controversial to you, that should tell you something.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Racism and white supremacy do not only refer to the KKK or interpersonal racism. You are living through a global pandemic that disproportionately impacts people of color. You've taken the biostats, public health, and epidemiology classes to know that black americans are burdened by chronic conditions at a higher rate, even when adjusted for SES. You should also understand the social determinants of health like exposure to harms that are prevalent in majority black communities that are not in white suburbs.

Work toward dismantling systemic racism does NOT mean that you've "fixed" it. Identification is still a huge part because there are people reading that prompt and having conversations about how racism IS NOT systemic. That lie is pervasive and work to correct that lie, is a contribution. The school is looking for fit. I don't mean this in a mean way, but if this question is so controversial to you, that should tell you something.
Hey bud, you didn't seem to read what I said. Everything you just talked about is systemic discrimination. This is not the same thing as systematic discrimination. I applaud Miller for trying to do the right thing and get us talking about things like this, but it sucks that they can't take the time to educate themselves on why these two terms are not interchangeable. Edit: It also kind of stings that you assume that just because the wording of this question bothers me, I am... racist or something? I KNOW that systemic discrimination is a problem. I'm not arguing against that. I'm pointing out that their question specifically asks about **systematic** discrimination.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey bud, you didn't seem to read what I said. Everything you just talked about is systemic discrimination. This is not the same thing as systematic discrimination. I applaud Miller for trying to do the right thing and get us talking about things like this, but it sucks that they can't take the time to educate themselves on why these two terms are not interchangeable.

The terms are not interchangeable but the concept behind them is. Discrimination at a systemic level, is absolutely systematic. You don't think deliberate strategy went into redlining? Efforts to identify, address, and correct systematic discrimination include systemic racism. AS WELL AS interpersonal racism. I hear the point you're trying to make, but it does not change the fact that the prompt isn't asking how you've cured discrimination. It's asking how you've taken action against it (no magnitude requested).

Reactions: 2 users
The terms are not interchangeable but the concept behind them is. Discrimination at a systemic level, is absolutely systematic. You don't think deliberate strategy went into redlining? Efforts to identify, address, and correct systematic discrimination include systemic racism. AS WELL AS interpersonal racism. I hear the point you're trying to make, but it does not change the fact that the prompt isn't asking how you've cured discrimination. It's asking how you've taken action against it (no magnitude requested).
I cannot lie. I was very confused over the systemic vs systematic debates on like r/premed. It is very much semantics. Racism (or most other form of discrimination) was indeed methodological & intentional in its implementation (systematic) and the result is that it is now inherent within these systems (systemic).

I cannot lie. I was very confused over the systemic vs systematic debates on like r/premed. It is very much semantics. Racism was indeed methodological & intentional in its implementation (systematic) and the result is that it is now inherent within these systems (systemic).
I understand that they are very similar in meaning, but the question is specifically asking how to *correct* *systematic* discrimination. I absolutely can and will read between the lines and talk about combating systemic discrimination in my everyday life. I know that what schools ask for isn't always what they really want you to say. I'm just saying if you read it at face value, their wording here is atrocious.

some things to ponder for y'all freaking out about the systemic discrimination question, prefaced with my usual "not at all involved in admissions" warning:

- They know that none of you will have solved racism
- Big protests are not the only way to make change, and small actions can mean a lot
- Have you ever witnessed an incident of discrimination (racial, gender, sexual orientation, language, something else...)? Were you able to intervene or help in anyway? If so how? if not, did you learn anything you would do next time?
- Has a friend ever come to you to discuss their experience with discrimination? were you able to support them somehow?
- Have you ever challenged a family member or friend who was saying something ****ty?
- Have you ever realized that YOU were contributing to a systemic problem, and taken steps to correct that?
- How have you educated yourself or others about injustices in society?
I understand that they are very similar in meaning, but the question is specifically asking how to *correct* *systematic* discrimination. I absolutely can and will read between the lines and talk about combating systemic discrimination in my everyday life. I know that what schools ask for isn't always what they really want you to say. I'm just saying if you read it at face value, their wording here is atrocious.

literally one quick google search of systematic discrimination and it corrects to 'systemic' discrimination. it's clear to me that they're participating in performative activism instead of taking the take time to educate themselves on the uses of these two different words.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

not what we were discussing my nakama. i have spent dedicated time to contributing to these issue and writing my undergrad thesis on the topic. we are talking about the wording miami used

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
not what we were discussing my nakama. i have spent dedicated time to contributing to these issue and spent the springtime of youth writing my undergrad thesis on the topic. we are talking about the wording miami used

I think I am confused as to why the systematic term is throwing people off. I can see @sputniksweetheart's concern that they're attempting to cater to the social climate, but if the controversy is just in semantics, I really do not see how their inquiry toward how a student has acted against systematic discrimination is confusing. Have you shut down someone's racist comment, are you part of an anti-racism club, have you educated yourself on the topic during the pandemic....

I think I am confused as to why the systematic term is throwing people off. I can see @sputniksweetheart's concern that they're attempting to cater to the social climate, but if the controversy is just in semantics, I really do not see how their inquiry toward how a student has acted against systematic discrimination is confusing. Have you shut down someone's racist comment, are you part of an anti-racism club, have you educated yourself on the topic during the pandemic....

it's frustrating reading something so surface level that they can't even use the correct terminology. it smells so much of being cut from the same cloth as people who had never made a peep or introspected about racism in any capacity but decided posting black squares on instagram was a great contribution. miami has a dean who is black and they are situated in THE city in florida that prides itself on its cultural identity. discrimination is only suddenly important now?

also as a side note, your eagerness to moral high horse/soapbox me... very offputting. i think we all have time in the springtime of youth to learn, even if i was a problematic person i super disagree with this method of trying to help people learn about these issues, nobody is going to change their minds because you were smug with them

Reactions: 7 users
Have you shut down someone's racist comment, are you part of an anti-racism club, have you educated yourself on the topic during the pandemic....
None of those things are systematic discrimination. Systematic discrimination occurs on an deliberate level, when there are procedures in place that actively discriminate. An example of addressing systematic discrimination would be running a campaign that convinced a CEO to stop workplace discrimination; and if anyone has done that, great. Addressing systemic discrimination is a great thing too! But it works on an individual, interpersonal level, calling out pervasive racist/ableist/sexist tendencies in the world around us that aren't always deliberate. These tendencies are not the same things as large-scale systems that are in place to discriminate, such as redlining, as someone pointed out. I know this isn't the best source, but check out this article to help you think about the difference.

it's frustrating reading something so surface level that they can't even use the correct terminology. it smells so much of being cut from the same cloth as people who had never made a peep or introspected about racism in any capacity but decided posting black squares on instagram was a great contribution. miami has a dean who is black and they are situated in THE city in florida that prides itself on its cultural identity. discrimination is only suddenly important now?

also as a side note, your eagerness to moral high horse/soapbox me... very offputting. i think we all have time in the springtime of youth to learn, even if i was a problematic person i super disagree with this method of trying to help people learn about these issues, nobody is going to change their minds because you were smug with them

Unfortunately, the springtime of youth is behind me. But, I hear what you're saying about my comment being off putting, and thats fair. I can see that it came across as soapboxy, but that was not my intention.

No, the prompt does not *specifically* ask this. The problem here is that many of you are honing in on the word ”correct” and reading lines that weren’t there, assuming that they have asked you how you have fixed discrimination. This is what I believe @dindjarin87 is also trying to get at with their comments. Again, a contribution (this could be via helping *identify* the issue or helping *address* the issue in some manner - and like we all know both terms are also used in the prompt) is working towards a correction of systematic racism.

Last edited:
Can everyone just lowkey chill a bit lol just answer it however you see fit and that's that

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Can everyone just lowkey chill a bit lol just answer it however you see fit and that's that
I think ice cheem's original question on the topic was completely fair, and had more complex possible answers than expected. I've personally appreciated reading the different takes. Understandably, everyone just wants to make sure they know what question they should be answering. I don't see how their discussion is impacting anyone else negatively.

It really isn’t that serious but I am enjoying the drama

SDN threads were getting too nice for my liking

• Haha
tenor.gif

None of those things are systematic discrimination. Systematic discrimination occurs on an deliberate level, when there are procedures in place that actively discriminate. An example of addressing systematic discrimination would be running a campaign that convinced a CEO to stop workplace discrimination; and if anyone has done that, great. Addressing systemic discrimination is a great thing too! But it works on an individual, interpersonal level, calling out pervasive racist/ableist/sexist tendencies in the world around us that aren't always deliberate. These tendencies are not the same things as large-scale systems that are in place to discriminate, such as redlining, as someone pointed out. I know this isn't the best source, but check out this article to help you think about the difference.

Glad to have contributed to some SDN drama. I feel like a real SDN'r now. I hear what you're saying about the systematic discrimination as being a deliberate action, but the example you provided, work place discrimination, would also be systemic in nature. The work place is a system, if there is overt discrimination that happens with recruiting or within every day work flow, that is a system of discrimination. I'm not saying that I think the two terms are interchangeable, but I think that reading into the prompt to where it's then damn (as other people have done in this thread) or that the institution is damned, seems like a stretch. I can see the concern that Miller would be hopping on the anti-racist bandwagon in light of recent events, but isn't that the point? Even if they, as an institution, have been historically racist, I think adding a question about this at least seeks to find students that are aligned with an anti-racist position. That to me, stands as a way to rectify their racist mistakes (as every organization has them). Even if the language isn't spot on.

AND after re-reading my post, I totally see how that came across as condescending or soapboxy. Sorry, about that. Thats not an SDN quality I want for myself!

If it’s really all that deep to y’all, you can just not apply. I can tell you right now that if you’re irritated by Miller’s nonsense already, you’re not going to like how much worse it gets post-acceptance.

• Haha
If it’s really all that deep to y’all, you can just not apply. I can tell you right now that if you’re irritated by Miller’s nonsense already, you’re not going to like how much worse it gets post-acceptance.
what do you mean?

literally one quick google search of systematic discrimination and it corrects to 'systemic' discrimination. it's clear to me that they're participating in performative activism instead of taking the take time to educate themselves on the uses of these two different words.

Look, all I can say is that if a single word throws you off that much, you're gonna have trouble having these kind of conversations with anyone. Should they have fixed it? yeah. Are we probably sometimes guilty of performative activism? also yeah. But there's also a lot of real, serious activism by students and faculty at Miller, around a lot of important systemic AND systematic problems, and I'm actually pretty stoked to see they're at least thinking about that in the admissions office and trying to encourage that culture going forward.

Reactions: 6 users
So does systemic/systematic discrimination only refer to race/sexual orientation? Does volunteering among low-income/uninsured/rural populations count to this definition of discrimination as well, or does it refer to something else?

So does systemic/systematic discrimination only refer to race/sexual orientation? Does volunteering among low-income/uninsured/rural populations count to this definition of discrimination as well, or does it refer to something else?

I think it would work if you can talk about the issues well! People face discrimination for a lot of reasons, socioeconomic reasons being one of them. I think the important thing is that you think about how whatever specific issue you pick fits into a bigger picture

Edited to add: I assume they would rather read a genuine essay about something you've been deeply involved in than a superficial essay about race or sexuality if you don't feel you can talk about those as well

For the community service / volunteering prompt, should all instances of "volunteering" count? I had a couple positions working as a mentor for freshmen, and particularly students from backgrounds underrepresented in medicine. Would this count as volunteering since I was never paid?