2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice on when to send a LOI for Pitt? Should I wait closer until 4/30 or send one earlier?
I was told to send LOI soon after you receive a WL decision. That way, when they are making decisions for WL movement, you already have a LOI there showing your interest and commitment for a given school. But only send a letter of intent to one school. It's bad form to send multiple LOI's or to a place that is not your top choice. If Pitt is not your 100% top choice, sending an update letter would probably be more appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It's bad form to send multiple LOI's or to a place that is not your top choice.
Yep agreed, and I'm surprised that a lot of people don't seem to know this (some of my premed friends suggested I send a Letter of Intent to every school I was waitlisted at -- um...no lol). Only send it to one school that you are absolutely certain that you will matriculate at. If you're waiting on financial aid packages and if finances are a big part of your decision, I think you should wait to send it.

I've also heard of some med schools talking to residency PD's about applicants who rescind their acceptance after sending a letter of intent, so just be careful. It's a non-binding letter, but you never know how it may potentially affect your future with residency apps.

Where is the LOI showing up for you guys on the portal? Sent mine in a while ago and still don’t see it. Maybe I should have made it a PDF instead of a Word doc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is the LOI showing up for you guys on the portal? Sent mine in a while ago and still don’t see it. Maybe I should have made it a PDF instead of a Word doc?
I wouldn't think that should matter, it should be up by now. I would reach out to Pitt about it

Also, for some reason it doesn't show up if I look at the portal on my phone. I have to use my laptop to see that the files were added

Can someone please tell me how to go about sending a Letter of Intent?

Reactions: 1 user
As in where to send it? To who? Portal? Which email address? Etc
I sent mine to [email protected] and CCed Dean Piraino! I can't remember her email, but it's on her pitt page!! After you send it it pitt will upload it to your portal and it should show up in your portal under other documents right below your rec/next to your photo uploads. For me, it was uploaded to my portal within 24 hours.

I sent mine to [email protected] and CCed Dean Piraino! I can't remember her email, but it's on her pitt page!! After you send it it pitt will upload it to your portal and it should show up in your portal under other documents right below your rec/next to your photo uploads. For me, it was uploaded to my portal within 24 hours.
Thanks friend!

• Care
Any thoughts on when waitlist movement might start?

Unpredictable this cycle in my opinion with the pandemic, but hopefully we might some early WL movement.
2019-20: 2/27
2018-19: 3/1
2017-18: 3/5
2016-17: 2/24
2015-16: 3/3
2014-15: 2/23

But then again, we also thought they’d release first round of decisions early this year but that didn’t happen, so I’m not sure what to expect. I just wish we got an email so I don’t have to keep refreshing the portal.
Many big-names like the Ivies and Mayo drop their As soon. It is possible that the adcom would see a PTE migration away from Pitt and/or withdrawals. However, I'd give it until mid-March.

Reactions: 1 users
did y'all attach your LOI's as a PDF of put them in the body of the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt's secondary portal: "The system will be down for maintenance on Wednesday, March 3rd starting 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM."
Me: Sus

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Pitt's secondary portal: "The system will be down for maintenance on Wednesday, March 3rd starting 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM."
Me: Sus
I thought the same thing.... then I was like wait there’s something wrong with me....

For real though, what does website maintenence mean? Are they fixing bugs, etc.?

Great. I'm not sleeping tonight. I found a pit in my tea and I don't know what to make of it? I am hoping it means I am getting off the WL.

lemon GIF
It's not a "pitt", so probably meaningless?

I know admissions release day was delayed this year, but is anyone else majorly anxious at the fact that waitlist movement historically started at the end of February... and its already March... @ Pitt start with the WL movement pls 🥺

I've seen people say that 65 people were accepted off the waitlist in past years. Is that the number of waitlist acceptances total, or the number of people who decided to attend after acceptance off of the waitlist (i.e. there was more than 65, but some waitlist acceptances didn't matriculate)?

I've seen people say that 65 people were accepted off the waitlist in past years. Is that the number of waitlist acceptances total, or the number of people who decided to attend after acceptance off of the waitlist (i.e. there was more than 65, but some waitlist acceptances didn't matriculate)?
I think this has been asked multiple times on this thread lol. I hope someone can give us an answer since I'm curious too.

I believe how many people get off the waitlist depends on how many people withdraw their As (hopefully a lot lol)
So I think major WL movement would happen in early May.

I believe how many people get off the waitlist depends on how many people withdraw their As (hopefully a lot lol)
So I think major WL movement would happen in early May.
from what I've seen in last year's thread, it seemed like the major waitlist movement happened at the end of February and beginning of April, with limited WL movement in May and June

It looks like decisions are historically released on Fridays. So maybe we'll hear of waitlist movement on the 12th?

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else scared by the slim possibility that they accepted more applicants off the bat this year and won't be pulling from the waitlist much? Nightmare fuel...

Anyone else scared by the slim possibility that they accepted more applicants off the bat this year and won't be pulling from the waitlist much? Nightmare fuel...
ill kill you michael scott GIF

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
There's no way to know of they did... but let's hope there's more waitlist movement this year too

Last edited by a moderator:
They also seem to have post-II R'd a decent number of people this year. I don't think there were any of those reported last year

Reactions: 3 users
Am I the only one who thinks the percentage accepted off the waitlist will be about the same as previous years? I doubt more acceptances than usual would be offered straight off; it's possible that there's a deeper waitlist this year, but while more were interviewed, it also seems like more were rejected.

Reactions: 4 users
My guess is that the WL is much longer. Here are some numbers for conjecture---

2020-2021 # of applicants: 53,030 total applications: 906,588 av # per applicant @ 22
2019-2020 # of applicants: 53,371 total applications: 896,819 av # per applicant @ 17
2018-2019 # of applicants: 52,777 total applications: 849,678 av # per applicant @ 16

spells GIF
Where's this data from?

My guess is that the WL is much longer. Here are some numbers for conjecture---

2020-2021 # of applicants: 53,030 total applications: 906,588 av # per applicant @ 22
2019-2020 # of applicants: 53,371 total applications: 896,819 av # per applicant @ 17
2018-2019 # of applicants: 52,777 total applications: 849,678 av # per applicant @ 16

spells GIF
Wait so if this data is correct, the same number of people applied...but to more schools -> more people dropping As -> WL movement should be higher?

Where's this data from? Praying that it's accurate!

Also what exactly do you mean by a longer WL? More people on the WL, or more people to be taken off the WL?

The data is from AAMC. I asked them for the historical data and they gave me two attachments for the past two cycles. For the current cycle, the data can be viewed at 2020 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data

When I stated that I believe the WL list is longer, I mean more people are on it. I think they (and other schools) needed to build in the cushion because so many applicants applied to more schools. To me, it was interesting that the total number of applicants actually decreased this year.
I just checked the data to see for myself, and you seem to be right! I thought the AAMC said that apps increased by 17% this year?

Reactions: 3 users
The data is from AAMC. I asked them for the historical data and they gave me two attachments for the past two cycles. For the current cycle, the data can be viewed at 2020 FACTS: Applicants and Matriculants Data

When I stated that I believe the WL list is longer, I mean more people are on it. I think they (and other schools) needed to build in the cushion because so many applicants applied to more schools. To me, it was interesting that the total number of applicants actually decreased this year.
Thanks. So glad you shared this

I just checked the data to see for myself, and you seem to be right! I thought the AAMC said that apps increased by 17% this year?
I think the total number of applications increased (not applicants)....this accounts for the average applicant applying to about 5 more schools than last year

Why would the total number of processed applications be 60,127 (assuming that represents the # of applicants) and the reported final number reported by AAMC (of applicants) shows the 2020-2021 cycle as 53,030 applicants? I might ask AAMC for clarification.
The 2020-2021 number is for the 2020 cycle. Read the explanation at the bottom of their table PDFs. This cycle isn't over yet.

"Note: Each academic year includes applicants and matriculants that applied to enter medical school in the fall of the given year. For example, academic year 2020-2021 represents the applicants and matriculants that applied to enter medical school during the 2020 application cycle."

Also, I guess last year 2k randomly sent in an app between February and May :p

"Also, I guess last year 2k randomly sent in an app between February and May"
I wonder how many of those applicants were accepted? Not.
Nobody should be charged an app fee unless they have a fair chance to get accepted and/or to have an actual review (just my opinion).
It's the responsibility of the applicant to be informed on the process. But, the AAMC should also just close the cycle application when the last primary deadline for a school passes (USF or MCW or something).

My WL folks, where are we sending LOIs to/addressing them to?
(praying for WL movement!)

My WL folks, where are we sending LOIs to/addressing them to?
(praying for WL movement!)
I sent mine by emailing it to [email protected]. In the email I wrote a very short body paragraph thanking them for their time and stating that attached to this email was my LOI. I attached my LOI as a PDF. I didn't address either to Dean Piraino directly, just generally to the school/admissions committee. I didn't get a response to my email but my LOI did show up in my portal the next day.

Hey yall does anyone else have an additional document that was uploaded to their portal? I didn't send anything in recently but there's a file titled "Additional Support / Interest" that was added to my portal on Friday. Maybe it was just a mistake??

Hey yall does anyone else have an additional document that was uploaded to their portal? I didn't send anything in recently but there's a file titled "Additional Support / Interest" that was added to my portal on Friday. Maybe it was just a mistake??
Did you send in a letter of interest? If so, they probably uploaded it under that heading!

I sent in an LOI and an update but those were both already uploaded a while ago! I'm wondering if they uploaded someone else's letter onto my portal by accident... guess I'll just email them. Thank you!

did anyone else CC Dean Piraino in the LOI email and get a reply from her?

Did anyone NOT CC Dean Piraino? Pitt had on their website to just email the main admissions email, so I'm just hesitant about CC'ing since they never mentioned to do that lol