2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone NOT CC Dean Piraino? Pitt had on their website to just email the main admissions email, so I'm just hesitant about CC'ing since they never mentioned to do that lol
I did not CC her. I just sent an email to the address they gave with a pdf attached

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone NOT CC Dean Piraino? Pitt had on their website to just email the main admissions email, so I'm just hesitant about CC'ing since they never mentioned to do that lol
I didn't because of the instructions on the Pitt website (just like @lapotencia52 said). Figured it would be safest to follow the instructions exactly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I addressed the letter to Dean Piraino and the adcom but only sent it to admissions

I addressed to both, sent to both. Dean Piraino responsed. It's honestly not a big deal guys.

I addressed to both, sent to both. Dean Piraino responsed. It's honestly not a big deal guys.
Agreed. I think the response is a kind gesture and that's all. it does speak a lot to Pitt's friendly vibe and i appreciate it :)

How long did it take for the Letter of Intent to be added to the portal? I sent mine in a while back, and nothing is showing up.

How long did it take for the Letter of Intent to be added to the portal? I sent mine in a while back, and nothing is showing up.
I sent mine in at ~4pm EST and when I checked the portal around 11am the next day it was already uploaded. I would email them!

Reactions: 1 user
If you're looking on your phone, try checking on a laptop. I can't see it on my android

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like most people in this thread sent a letter of intent. Do I have a shot off the WL with a letter of interest?
I was thinking the same thing. I sent a letter of continued interest. Pitt is my top choice, but financial aid is a big thing that I am considering and I am not ready to commit yet. Not sure how much the letter of interest will help but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was thinking the same thing. I sent a letter of continued interest. Pitt is my top choice, but financial aid is a big thing that I am considering and I am not ready to commit yet. Not sure how much the letter of interest will help but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In previous years, plenty of people were accepted off the waitlist without any letters, intent or otherwise. I really don't think a letter will significantly sway them one way or another if you're a good fit.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else who got waitlisted get their letter from Pitt in the mail recently? Mine just arrived internationally 🤡

Members don't see this ad :)
Never got a letter and never got an email. Apparently it showed up in the post office electronic mail preview my roommate gets for us but it never made it to the box :oops:
Did anyone else who got waitlisted get their letter from Pitt in the mail recently? Mine just arrived internationally 🤡

Well, folks, maybe sometime next week then?

Also, please make sure to report your status here if you get off the wait list please

Well, folks, maybe sometime next week then?

Also, please make sure to report your status here if you get off the wait list please
I have a feeling that WL movement this year will be on a similar schedule to other schools (April/May), but am obviously still hoping for earlier!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a feeling that WL movement this year will be on a similar schedule to other schools (April/May), but am obviously still hoping for earlier!
Fair enough... I really wanted to do PREP, so hopefully things work out before that application deadline comes

I had such high hopes for today... :(
Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Care
2020:
1. Initial decisions released 1/29
2. First WL movement 2/27
3. Second WL movement 4/9

2021:
1. Initial decisions released 2/19
2. First WL movement- I suspect will be 3/18-19 because they typically wait a month and release decisions on Thursdays or Fridays
3. Second WL movement- who even knows

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone fear the 1st WL movement will be smaller than usual since it's a lot of Pitt (A) vs preferred Ivy/T20 (WL) people right now. Until the people holding multiple T20 As drop to 3 or 1 schools post-FA, I don't think it'll budge much.

• Sad
Anyone fear the 1st WL movement will be smaller than usual since it's a lot of Pitt (A) vs preferred Ivy/T20 (WL) people right now. Until the people holding multiple T20 As drop to 3 or 1 schools post-FA, I don't think it'll budge much.
In past years they've released WL decisions before FA info for accepted students came out I believe. I would think this year wouldn't too different

In past years they've released WL decisions before FA info for accepted students came out I believe. I would think this year wouldn't too different
No...of course. They will do the same again this month. I'm just theorizing that it will be less people than usual.

No...of course. They will do the same again this month. I'm just theorizing that it will be less people than usual.
Could be... they might want to guard against over-enrollment if they gave out more initial As than usual

Yeah screw the letter of intent. Everyone and their grandma sends one. Try this maybe:

Pitt Med numbah one (14)
US News Report so good
Pitt Med so so good
I haven't scrolled through here in a while, so I know this was posted a while ago, but my dude I just wanna let you know that this legit made my year. 2022, I'm ready for ya! Existential WL gang rise up ⬆️

Yeah screw the letter of intent. Everyone and their grandma sends one. Try this maybe:

Pitt Med numbah one (14)
US News Report so good
Pitt Med so so good
Bold. I think this strategy works at OSU, who proudly display their rankings on every presentation slide.

Do you guys think that the fact it's Match Week this week means we likely won't see any WL movement this week? Not sure if that affects AdComs in any way.

Do you guys think that the fact it's Match Week this week means we likely won't see any WL movement this week? Not sure if that affects AdComs in any way.
I do not think the squeeze will be squoze this week. Last year people had an updated committee decision put in their app files, released later in the week. If we don't see it this Monday/Tuesday, then it's probably not this week.

I do not think the squeeze will be squoze this week. Last year people had an updated committee decision put in their app files, released later in the week. If we don't see it this Monday/Tuesday, then it's probably not this week.
Last year did that updated committee decision show up before the initial decision too? Or did that change in the portal only occur AFTER the initial decision? Just asking since there was no portal change before initial decisions this year.

Last year did that updated committee decision show up before the initial decision too? Or did that change in the portal only occur AFTER the initial decision? Just asking since there was no portal change before initial decisions this year.
After.

They could have changed their portal to fix some of those glitches, so who knows if it will follow the same pattern this year

Any idea how they would communicate any news to us (if they had any lol)? Phone/email/portal?

Any idea how they would communicate any news to us (if they had any lol)? Phone/email/portal?
Portal is king...email is secondary...phone is nonexistent. At this point, we're just looking for portal changes and maybe PREP emails. I'm not sure when waitlist subcommittee meets, but WL movement probably is by the end of next week.

I hope that we all get acceptances soon. I'd love to meet you all!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
I’m thinking tomorrow..... fingers crossed

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think it'll be tomorrow. No "signs" on the portal indicating changes to our status/decisions/files. My bet is for late next week.

Also, not worth getting hopes up too much pre-Financial Aid WL movement. Most of the movement here happens because of the money.

It could also be that people with multiple acceptances are holding on to all of them, so Pitt doesn't want to do WL movement yet and risk over-enrollment

Maybe once the April 15 and April 30 choose your school deadlines hit we'll see a lot of movement.

Ugh, so much for PREP?

• Sad
When your waitlist movement conspiracy theory doesn't come true:

Sad Baby GIF

• Care
The financial aid packages from Pitt are looking like they'll be released to accepted students early April, so seconding a good bet for WL movement seems to be sometime around April 15. Hoping for showers of As for all of you!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
if you know you are not going to pitt and are holding an acceptance, can you please just withdraw. I'm literally dying inside. thank you

Reactions: 12 users