You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Seton Hall
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Current M1, can try to answer questions y’all have.Also are there any current students who have time to answer a couple questions I have about the school? If so, please dm me!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent my update letter to this email address [email protected]Would anyone who has submitted an update letter please tell me which address they sent it to? I've been calling for two days and can't seem to get through to anyone
Medical school journey1
Full Member
Anyone got Interview invite or acceptance call? update please!
Thanks for offering to answer questions! I guess my main one would be if you feel as though the program and admin are well-run for being a newer school. From my experience so far, I love HM but it seems like they are a little disjointed when it comes to the admissions process and was wondering if that applies to other things as well. A second question would be what are your favorite and least favorite parts about the program!Current M1, can try to answer questions y’all have.
I don’t believe so, if you do “plan to enroll” it only tells the school that one additional person plans to enroll. You can always change schools (before 4/30) if you change your mind.Is there any downside to using the "choose your med school" tool on AMCAS? I'm ready to pick HMSOM (yay) but is there any reason why I should wait?
To my knowledge, they said Feb was the last month for interviewsNot sure if it was already said, but how much longer is Hackensack interviewing/how many more IIs are going to be sent?
I also remember them saying that interview season ends in Feb.To my knowledge, they said Feb was the last month for interviews
The disorganization and lack of planning are definitely present and will be for the next couple of years at least. It's manageable but there are going to be some moments where you are scratching your head wondering what in the world the admin was thinking.Thanks for offering to answer questions! I guess my main one would be if you feel as though the program and admin are well-run for being a newer school. From my experience so far, I love HM but it seems like they are a little disjointed when it comes to the admissions process and was wondering if that applies to other things as well. A second question would be what are your favorite and least favorite parts about the program!
Pros:
P/F
1.5-year preclinical/1.5-year clinical with having many options for the 4th year including entering residency early in select specialties
Excellent facilities and solid clinical skills faculty
Strong support resources if you need them
Great availability for research because of the large network
Depends on you:
Tests based solely on power points, decently follows outside resources
Small group is pretty regular in our curriculum (team based learning, patient based learning, Human dimension, clinical skills)
We have a mandatory class called heath systems science which goes over topics like Ethics, epidemiology, health law etc.
Another class called human dimension which focuses on the social determinants of health and we do community-based projects in this class
Cons:
A CAR IS MANDATORY
Disorganization in general
Mandatory attendance generally from 8-12 every day
Couple hours of busy work each week
Many different professors who teach, ranging from excellent to horrific
Grades can take up to a month to get
Last edited:
Random, but I happen to know a program director at Columbia's med school (not that it helped me get in LOL), and she told me that at least 2 of her colleagues just took jobs at HMSOM to direct the program there. Maybe it means nothing, but it kind of comforts me a little in my decision to attend. Maybe the current disorganization will improve with new, experienced staff coming from such an excellent school...The disorganization and lack of planning are definitely present and will be for the next couple of years at least. It's manageable but there are going to be some moments where you are scratching your head wondering what in the world the admin was thinking.
Pros:
P/F
1.5-year preclinical/1.5-year clinical with having many options for the 4th year including entering residency early in select specialties
Excellent facilities and solid clinical skills faculty
Strong support resources if you need them
Depends on you:
Tests based solely on power points, decently follows outside resources
Small group is pretty regular in our curriculum (team based learning, patient based learning, Human dimension, clinical skills)
We have a mandatory class called heath systems science which goes over topics like Ethics, epidemiology, health law etc.
Another class called human dimension which focuses on the social determinants of health and we do community-based projects in this class
Cons:
Disorganization in general
Mandatory attendance generally from 8-12 every day
Couple hours of busy work each week
Many different professors who teach, ranging from excellent to horrific
Grades can take up to a month to get
Doubt it will mean much, and trust me, you will succeed in spite of the school's shortcomings. Also, if you do commit here (or already are) you can dm me and we can have a chat about what you can expect as a student at HMSOM and give you my info in case you need help at some point.Random, but I happen to know a program director at Columbia's med school (not that it helped me get in LOL), and she told me that at least 2 of her colleagues just took jobs at HMSOM to direct the program there. Maybe it means nothing, but it kind of comforts me a little in my decision to attend. Maybe the current disorganization will improve with new, experienced staff coming from such an excellent school...
Thank you for offering your help! Sorry if this a silly question, I am mainly asking for clarification. Since M1’s don’t really get a “summer” break, just the 2 weeks in July mentioned during the interview day, I’m assuming that most students wait until 4th year to do any type of research?Current M1, can try to answer questions y’all have.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are correct about the summer break being two weeks but people don't wait until 4th year to do research. You can start after the first two courses are complete but generally, people start research at some point in the Spring of 1st year or early 2nd year. Totally varies and people in the upper classes had success starting research later than that.Thank you for offering your help! Sorry if this a silly question, I am mainly asking for clarification. Since M1’s don’t really get a “summer” break, just the 2 weeks in July mentioned during the interview day, I’m assuming that most students wait until 4th year to do any type of research?
Great, thank you!!You are correct about the summer break being two weeks but people don't wait until 4th year to do research. You can start after the first two courses are complete but generally, people start research at some point in the Spring of 1st year or early 2nd year. Totally varies and people in the upper classes had success starting research later than that.
mattyice4pres
New Member
What are the select residencies available to HMSOM students after their third year?The disorganization and lack of planning are definitely present and will be for the next couple of years at least. It's manageable but there are going to be some moments where you are scratching your head wondering what in the world the admin was thinking.
Pros:
P/F
1.5-year preclinical/1.5-year clinical with having many options for the 4th year including entering residency early in select specialties
Excellent facilities and solid clinical skills faculty
Strong support resources if you need them
Depends on you:
Tests based solely on power points, decently follows outside resources
Small group is pretty regular in our curriculum (team based learning, patient based learning, Human dimension, clinical skills)
We have a mandatory class called heath systems science which goes over topics like Ethics, epidemiology, health law etc.
Another class called human dimension which focuses on the social determinants of health and we do community-based projects in this class
Cons:
Disorganization in general
Mandatory attendance generally from 8-12 every day
Couple hours of busy work each week
Many different professors who teach, ranging from excellent to horrific
Grades can take up to a month to get
I’m not a student, but if I remember correctly during the orientation they said everything but the really competitive ones (ortho, neurosurg, etc.)What are the select residencies available to HMSOM students after their third year?
Hi! I wanted to DM you but it says your profile is limited for people to viewDoubt it will mean much, and trust me, you will succeed in spite of the school's shortcomings. Also, if you do commit here (or already are) you can dm me and we can have a chat about what you can expect as a student at HMSOM and give you my info in case you need help at some point.
Should be fixed nowHi! I wanted to DM you but it says your profile is limited for people to view
Still developing programs for the 3 year program but the students who did the program in the first class matched into IM, family, neuro, psych, anesthesia, peds, emergency medWhat are the select residencies available to HMSOM students after their third year?
rintohsaka
Full Member
Did any 3 year students match into surgery?Still developing programs for the 3 year program but the students who did the program in the first class matched into IM, family, neuro, psych, anesthesia, peds, emergency med
No, only the specialties I listed above.Did any 3 year students match into surgery?
During my admissions presentation, I remember they mentioned that the year 3 students didn't get to do their full surgery rotations because of covid so that is why no one matched out of cautionNo, only the specialties I listed above.
Medical school journey1
Full Member
Any one has an idea of how many seats filled so far this cycle ?
They told me that we should hear back on decisions by next week for those interviewed in the past month and a halfToday is the last business day in February so anyone hear back about decisions? Wouldn't be surprised if not because last year I believe they also delayed the decision date.
Oof I interviewed back in late DecemberThey told me that we should hear back on decisions by next week for those interviewed in the past month and a half
that could include you. I didn't ask really specifically cause I assumed they were gonna take a while. But they said to send an email or call if you don't hear by like end of next weekOof I interviewed back in late December
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh did they really. That's helpful, thanks!that could include you. I didn't ask really specifically cause I assumed they were gonna take a while. But they said to send an email or call if you don't hear by like end of next week
This week or next week?that could include you. I didn't ask really specifically cause I assumed they were gonna take a while. But they said to send an email or call if you don't hear by like end of next week
I was able to find it. I would try looking again.anyone else not able to find the plan to enroll option in amcas? does HSOM not use that feature?
I was able to find it. I would try looking again.
ooh thanks, I was able to find it with their guide - the screenshots were helpful!
Hi! I was wondering what the average Step 1 (and step2 ck) score is? I couldn't find any information online and I don't recall them telling us during the info session. (I know that it will be P/F for us)Current M1, can try to answer questions y’all have.
Has anyone received scholarship information from HMSOM at all? I remember something about being sent that info in mid feb, but I haven't gotten anything as of yet.
Not available at this time. In our curriculum, you take the Step exams during your 3rd-year winter. So the first class just took them.Hi! I was wondering what the average Step 1 (and step2 ck) score is? I couldn't find any information online and I don't recall them telling us during the info session. (I know that it will be P/F for us)
I have not gotten info yet and was told the same thing. I could be wrong but I thought someone in the thread earlier said they changed the date to mid March for when they will send financial aid info out.Has anyone received scholarship information from HMSOM at all? I remember something about being sent that info in mid feb, but I haven't gotten anything as of yet.
I got mine at the end of March last year.I have not gotten info yet and was told the same thing. I could be wrong but I thought someone in the thread earlier said they changed the date to mid March for when they will send financial aid info out.
I sent an email with a letter of intent attached (talking about why this school, why I'm a good fit). But got an email back saying they're not taking updates anymore. Should I clarify that I didn't include updates, or should I just let it go? (Interviewed 1/19 and this is my first choice)
Did you send your letter of intent to the Dean's email? That's what I did yesterday, although I didn't really hear anything back.I sent an email with a letter of intent attached (talking about why this school, why I'm a good fit). But got an email back saying they're not taking updates anymore. Should I clarify that I didn't include updates, or should I just let it go? (Interviewed 1/19 and this is my first choice)
No I emailed the SOM email address. What is the dean of admissions email? Thanks!Did you send your letter of intent to the Dean's email? That's what I did yesterday, although I didn't really hear anything back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe it's [email protected]No I emailed the SOM email address. What is the dean of admissions email? Thanks!
superintroduction
Full Member
Dr. Stanton is the dean of the med school but not dean of admissions, the dean of admissions is Dr. Simonian. Not sure what sending Dr. Stanton a letter will really doI believe it's [email protected]
Oh you're right! Thank you for pointing that out!Dr. Stanton is the dean of the med school but not dean of admissions, the dean of admissions is Dr. Simonian. Not sure what sending Dr. Stanton a letter will really do
Yes as of now. They haven't given the info on sending vaccine records or final transcripts yet as far as I know.for those of you that got accepted, we only need to submit a deposit and complete the background check right? just making sure I'm not missing anything that i still need to do