2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I just received a secondary invite from downstate. They mentioned they recommend having a complete file by oct 1. However, I just received it today. I was wondering if I should submit it as soon as I can and if it would be fine to be complete by end of this week?

People last year have gotten IIs with completed applications way into Oct/Nov, so you are probably fine. They seem to review high MCAT applicants first? Just a trend I've been seeing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Third Time Re-applicant II last week!

Reactions: 8 users
Part 2 is not true. UMass sends Vita invites to every applicant who completes a secondary application.
Okay there is (at least) 1 exception, but even then there is no point in doing it until you have received your first official II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay there is (at least) 1 exception, but even then there is no point in doing it until you have received your first official II?
I got one from UMass and the email stated that they wanted it completed within 2 weeks, so I did it then (they haven't sent me an II yet). If the school requires it, then why wait?

waiting until February is gonna be rough....

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Just finished my interview! Really cool interviewer :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished my interview! Really cool interviewer :)
From SDN and my friends who interviewed there in previous years, it feels like there are two types of interviews that Downstate has: a stressful interrogation or a chill conversation. I hope mine is the latter :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
how have people's experiences w the peer interview been? does anyone know if more weight is placed on the faculty interview or if they are both equally weighted ?

how have people's experiences w the peer interview been? does anyone know if more weight is placed on the faculty interview or if they are both equally weighted ?

does someone reach out to you for the peer interview after your regular one?

at the information session they said its pretty much equally weighted I think. Also just FYI that info session and the peer interview is supposed to be really casual and you don't have to dress up (but that's scary, id still dress up lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all - I'm currently a first year student at Downstate. If you have any questions regarding the application process, let me know. I can also help you out with your essays. Feel free to contact me privately.

So for this year, do we still have peer to peer interview? I got the information on faculty interview, writing assignments, and the information session, but couldn't find an info about p2p.

So for this year, do we still have peer to peer interview? I got the information on faculty interview, writing assignments, and the information session, but couldn't find an info about p2p.

I just had my interview earlier today and the interviewer said that a current medical student will reach out within 7 days after your faculty interview to set up the peer to peer interview.

Just wondering do you know who your interviewers are beforehand?

You don’t. They send you an emaileither the day of or the night before, I don’t remember

like 3 days to a week after your faculty interview, the med student will personally reach out. At least that was my experience

From SDN and my friends who interviewed there in previous years, it feels like there are two types of interviews that Downstate has: a stressful interrogation or a chill conversation. I hope mine is the latter :rolleyes:

both the interviewer andthe peer interviewer made it clear that they have to ask a set of specific questions, so I think at least half of the interview questions are similar across interviewees

both the interviewer andthe peer interviewer made it clear that they have to ask a set of specific questions, so I think at least half of the interview questions are similar across interviewees
Yep, that agrees with what people have said in previous years. I guess the difference mainly stems from your interviewer's personality.

FIRST II FOR THIS CYCLE. I AM A REAPPLICANT FROM LAST CYCLE after a waitlist rejection in August. i was just praying to hear something a few days ago....
IS and complete 8/13. only interviews for mid november rn

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
FIRST II FOR THIS CYCLE. I AM A REAPPLICANT FROM LAST CYCLE after a waitlist rejection in August. i was just praying to hear something a few days ago....
IS and complete 8/13. only interviews for mid november rn
btw 514/3.95

• Love
II a few days ago, IS reapplicant w/ poor stats so I was honestly surprised by a MD II.

Reactions: 3 users
II! It says they use VITA, and seeing as it is Friday, I won't get an invite until next Thursday right? But the deadline is still the same.

For anyone who attended the info sessions, did admissions say how they were using the VITA this year? I've been practicing for it but wow, it feels so awkward talking to myself out loud lol :rolleyes:

II!!!
Complete 8/10, in-state

Reactions: 3 users
II today!! Complete 7/31.
I literally didn't see any available interview dates on the calendar (I clicked until October 2021 lol). Is this legit or some kind of boo-boo on their part?

Does anyone know if Downstate sends out rejections early on or are they just silent until the end of the cycle ?

Hey everyone, another question about interviews...do ya'll look into the camera (so that you don't actually see the interviewer) while answering or do you look at your screen? This is my only II coming up on Thursday so I'm a little neurotic lol

Did anyone do the peer interview? What was that like?

For anyone who attended the info sessions, did admissions say how they were using the VITA this year? I've been practicing for it but wow, it feels so awkward talking to myself out loud lol :rolleyes:
not sure if someone answered you but my vita was straight garbage but my interviewer didn't really mention it, I just made a joke about how bad it was and better explained situations I mentioned when relevent

Did anyone do the peer interview? What was that like?
very casual, apparently you don't even need to dress up for it (I still would). Conversational closed file 30 mins

does downstate accept updates? Completed in early august and no word yet

not sure if someone answered you but my vita was straight garbage but my interviewer didn't really mention it, I just made a joke about how bad it was and better explained situations I mentioned when relevent

Oh yep, I completely bombed vita too. Everything was fine for like 30secs but I never knew I relied so heavily on the other person's body language before lol. I'm really hoping they don't put too much weight on that.

We don't have to upload a photo of ourselves at any point before or after the interview, right?