2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These IIs that I’m not getting are by email, yeah? I dont need to check the portal?

Yea, I got an email with the interview invite via email! Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i think they said someone should contact us within 5 days? or maybe i misread and that was about something else
ooh you're right! I didn't see the 5 day thing until I got the follow-up email after my faculty interview today :)
seems like we should be receiving an email to schedule the peer interview - ideally within 5 days. But if you haven't heard from anyone yet, maybe you could reach out to admissions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done this essay? I'm writing it now and I guess I'm just going to be upfront and say that I haven't lived in a city, but I've always wanted to and I have friends in NYC and family in upstate NY, etc. I'll probs get rejected, but that's half the fun right?
what did you end up doing? I only live 100 mi outside of NYC, so I am just going to say my personal support system will be that (that works, no?) but my hometown is rural and my college town was a city, but small.

does anyone know if we can submit more than 2 LOR's? that seems so minimal, especially if people with letter packets are able to include all of theirs...it seems to put individual letter-senders at a disadvantage

II - woah! the first one for this cycle. It felt SO much better than I anticipated! Completed my application on 9/1

Reactions: 2 users
Are there only two interview dates available for everyone else? I don't think I can make those work and they withdraw your app if you don't choose a day within 5 days of the II so I guess I may email them if there really are only two days right now.

Are there only two interview dates available for everyone else? I don't think I can make those work and they withdraw your app if you don't choose a day within 5 days of the II so I guess I may email them if there really are only two days right now.

I only had like a week and a half in Oct. available to choose from.

Members don't see this ad :)
II received (IS).
I had 5 dates to choose from that was in the span of 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how we can do the VITA? In my II email it said that I will get another email from a different email address with a link to VITA but they apparently send it out on tuesdays?

Does anyone know how we can do the VITA? In my II email it said that I will get another email from a different email address with a link to VITA but they apparently send it out on tuesdays?
From what I recall, Hirevue sends them out on Thursday mornings at 8am. So expect an email tomorrow morning! Also darn, I am still only seeing two dates in early October lol I wonder why

Has anyone who completed the interview heard from a student to schedule the peer-to-peer conversation? Should this be considered an additional interview?

ahhh first MD ll!! I'm so excited :)
Complete 8/25
512, 4.0
IS

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! I submitted the secondary on 7/14, my letters were submitted on 9/8. They still say my MCAT and LOR weren't received so I'm not sure what to do. The letters say they were received but still have the red x. Same for my MCAT score. Anyone else have this issue? If you did, how did you resolve it? Thanks

Hey guys! I submitted the secondary on 7/14, my letters were submitted on 9/8. They still say my MCAT and LOR weren't received so I'm not sure what to do. The letters say they were received but still have the red x. Same for my MCAT score. Anyone else have this issue? If you did, how did you resolve it? Thanks
I submitted July 18th and was not marked complete until August 13th. I think this is a pretty normal occurrence so I would just be patient! They will be marked complete within the next few weeks :)

Has anyone who completed the interview heard from a student to schedule the peer-to-peer conversation? Should this be considered an additional interview?
yup! I had one recently and they prefaced it saying that I could consider it the final part of the interview process and they would write-up feedback similar to the faculty interview :)

yup! I had one recently and they prefaced it saying that I could consider it the final part of the interview process and they would write-up feedback similar to the faculty interview :)
Did it take a while for a student to reach out to you?

IS. I got it last week, but just hadn't gotten to posting yet.

Interviewed a week ago still no email from student for interview, problem?

Is "your application is ready" the default status or does that mean they finished reviewing you?

How were the two interviews different?

How were the two interviews different?
one thing was that during the student interview, they told me upfront that it was closed file and they didnt know anything about me hahah... whereas my faculty interviewer did have access and referenced the things i wrote in my app.
also, my student interviewer preferred phone call, whereas faculty was with video over zoom.
but overall the interviews felt pretty similar in style! they both kinda said a lil blurb at the beginning mentioning how downstate has a series of questions assigned to them to ask (altho these question probably differ slightly from applicant to applicant)

received II a couple of hours ago! IS, WARS 74, URM

Reactions: 3 users
II! Anyone who just scheduled their interview only see one date available?

Does anyone know when they will start giving out acceptances?

Does anyone know how to send thank you letters? Do you submit them on the portal or email them?

I am so confused but excited at the same time.

I go an email saying " We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a formal virtual interview to further evaluate your candidacy for the College of Medicine at SUNY Downstate....
We participate in the AMCAS Vita video interview tool. We strongly recommend that you complete the AMCAS Vita within two weeks of the date of this email interview invitation, Video responses will be incorporated into our virtual interview process. "

Is this an II or does everyone get invited to complete this? It just seems really fast because I was marked complete on 10/2 and received the "II" today.

Thanks all!

I go an email saying " We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for a formal virtual interview to further evaluate your candidacy for the College of Medicine at SUNY Downstate....
We participate in the AMCAS Vita video interview tool. We strongly recommend that you complete the AMCAS Vita within two weeks of the date of this email interview invitation, Video responses will be incorporated into our virtual interview process. "

Is this an II or does everyone get invited to complete this? It just seems really fast because I was marked complete on 10/2 and received the "II" today.

Thanks all!
I got the same, complete 10/01. I believe it is a true II since you don't normally schedule a VITA invite.

Thanks all!
I got the same, complete 10/01. I believe it is a true II since you don't normally schedule a VITA invite.

When did you guys submit your secondaries to Downstate if you don't mind sharing?

Submitted 9/30, complete 10/1, and II today 10/4

Wow so this sounds like my 8/26 self is just waiting for bad news haha
Schools don't necessarily review apps in order! My friend last year didn't get IIs until Feb/March and got into 2 schools. I'm confident you'll crush this cycle.

1. Downstate does not review apps in the order they are received. You guys had good apps and got lucky they got reviewed quickly!
2. That is an official II, you can only complete VITA when you receive your first official II from a med school. Invites are sent on Thursdays.
Goodluck!

Reactions: 2 users
1. Downstate does not review apps in the order they are received. You guys had good apps and got lucky they got reviewed quickly!
2. That is an official II, you can only complete VITA when you receive your first official II from a med school. Invites are sent on Thursdays.
Goodluck!
Part 2 is not true. UMass sends Vita invites to every applicant who completes a secondary application.

Hi, I just received a secondary invite from downstate. They mentioned they recommend having a complete file by oct 1. However, I just received it today. I was wondering if I should submit it as soon as I can and if it would be fine to be complete by end of this week?