2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wait what's modified rolling admission? (sorry if dumb q, thanks in advance!)
They release a big batch of As in feb instead of going smaller batches like a lot of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
lmaoooo so I initially received an email from Downstate back in Aug saying my MCAT was too old and looks like they changed their mind about that. I just got a secondary invite today... is there any point to completing it at this point in the cycle and paying the fee?

SAME!!!!
I was so confused. Completing this secondary right now is giving me flashbacks to the bad old days of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Says Feb 15th on MSAR but could be wrong
Someone posted 2/21 as the drop date in this thread; not sure where that comes from.
(Lol I JUST read the whole thread -- it's definitely in here somewhere!)

They release a big batch of As in feb instead of going smaller batches like a lot of schools.
cool thanks! do you/anyone know where they're at with interviews? and do they schedule them far out or like a week in advance? thanks again!

my student interviewer criticized me for reaching out to the admission after he didn't respond to my emails. He did that during the middle of the interview. Should I report him or let it go?

That's so unprofessional of the student interviewer....was the overall vibe of your interview off with this student? If he just made a snarky comment, I would probably let it go and not address it out of fear of coming off petty or entitled to adcoms. But if you felt like there were other concrete signs that the interviewer was prejudiced against you, it might be worth letting adcoms know...i think it depends on how the rest of your interview went

I indicated that I prefer FaceTime in our email exchanges, but got a phone call from the student interviewer instead so I can only rely on his voice. It can be hard to tell if he was prejudiced just by voice. It was less conversational. It felt more like a Q & A with no follow-ups to any of my responses. He did respond to all of my questions, so there's that.

Downstate sent us a post-faculty-interview email saying that
  • Peer-to-Peer conversation: one of our currently enrolled students will be contacting you shortly to schedule a call via Telephone, Face Time or Skype at your convenience, but preferably within five days following your interview at SUNY Downstate.

The student interviewer said to me "we can literally do this in March, so I don't know why you reached out to the admission."

When you say that he wasn't responding to your emails, how many emails did you send exactly and over what time frame?

hey! was invited for an interview and want to make sure i attend the general information session that is on the first friday of the month. does anyone know how to access this? will the link for this info session be posted onto my portal?

hey! was invited for an interview and want to make sure i attend the general information session that is on the first friday of the month. does anyone know how to access this? will the link for this info session be posted onto my portal?

You'll get an invitation to RSVP, followed by an email with the zoom link.

Just reread the instructions in the admissions portal and see that updates should not be submitted unless they are asked for. I submitted an update two weeks ago...

Will they just ignore it? And will that be detrimental to my app? Thinking about emailing them.
what exactly does it say because I sent a thank you letter/ Letter of interest post II. No update tho

Just reread the instructions in the admissions portal and see that updates should not be submitted unless they are asked for. I submitted an update two weeks ago...

Will they just ignore it? And will that be detrimental to my app? Thinking about emailing them.

I called them and the lady who answered said sending pre-ii updates was acceptable

II received! Complete 9/14; LM 74; OOS; URM

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how long the post-interview group meetings are? the one with med students and the Dean of Admissions?

Just got an II here today! IS LM, from NYC 67 :)

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on the 19th and still haven't heard from anyone in regards to the peer interview. Anyone think I should reach out to admissions or should I wait until after Thanksgiving to see if someone reaches out?

yes, it is a closed file interview. My interviewer gave me the freedom to take it in generally any direction I wanted and it was very casual

Very conversational, although I would say the questions asked were much more open-ended than in the faculty interview.

Did you two (or anyone else reading this who knows) wear a full suit to your student interview? My student interviewer just emailed me and said it was gonna be a “super casual chat through zoom,” but I’m not sure if that means I should be wearing a suit or not like I do for my regular interviews.

Also, how long did the student interview last for you?

Did you two (or anyone else reading this who knows) wear a full suit to your student interview? My student interviewer just emailed me and said it was gonna be a “super casual chat through zoom,” but I’m not sure if that means I should be wearing a suit or not like I do for my regular interviews.

Also, how long did the student interview last for you?
Always suit up for interviews! Some info sessions are truly casual and in my experience, the admissions staff will make very clear that formal wear is not required.

Always suit up for interviews! Some info sessions are truly casual and in my experience, the admissions staff will make very clear that formal wear is not required.

Got it, thank you! Yeah I've never had this type of interview style (days after the faculty interview and they said it could just be a phone call with the student) before so I wasn't totally sure.

Have an interview coming up here this week. Any tips on how to prepare best? Could anybody elaborate a bit on the writing assignment that is part of the interview?

Hi all,
I have an upcoming interview here, and I'm a bit confused about the schedule (apologies if this question has already been posed elsewhere). Does the interview day really just consist of one interview? There are no other info sessions, talks from deans, etc? Any clarity on this would be appreciated!

Just looking for advice! If I get into this school, I will definitely be attending, so I was wondering if it would be wise to submit a letter of intent. I interviewed early November and I am just waiting, but this is definitely my first choice. Would a letter of intent help?

Hi all,
I have an upcoming interview here, and I'm a bit confused about the schedule (apologies if this question has already been posed elsewhere). Does the interview day really just consist of one interview? There are no other info sessions, talks from deans, etc? Any clarity on this would be appreciated!
There are 2 mandatory interviews--- one with faculty and one with a med student over the phone usually. There is also an optional info session with the deans and med students the first Friday of every month (the month after your interview).

Hi all,

I was also a bit confused. You first have your faculty interview on interview day- mine lasted about 70 minutes. After a few days (mine took a bit over a week) a student from the school will contact you through email to set up another, more informal interview appointment. It could be by phone, facetime, or zoom - my student interviewer chose Zoom. My faculty interview date was 11/19 and my student interview is scheduled for later this week.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
II mid-November. Completed mid-September. IS, ORM, LM75.

Is Downstate silent rejection or do they send out pre-II R completed 8/2 and silence from them

So i interviewed november 10th and plan on being on the zoom meeting this friday with the dean and other students. How do we dress, and do prospective students ask questions the whole time or does the Dean have a speech/information that he comes off the bat and tells us? I just don't know what to expect

How long is the peer interview supposed to be? Also anything important we should know ahead of time to prepare for it?
It's closed file and very conversational. I don't think you can prepare for it much outside of looking over your AMCAS again.
Downstate says it should be around 20-30 mins but it depends. My student interview was closer to 1 hour since we had so many things in common.

Sorry, asked about the general info session before too, but another question about it: can you only attend the general info session after your interview?
It says on my portal "In lieu of the campus tour, we will be hosting a general chat session with our currently enrolled students, Dean/Director of Student Admissions for applicants who have completed their interviews during the preceding month" just sounds odd to me not to learn more about the school prior to the interview. Most info sessions at schools have been before the actual interview.

Sorry, asked about the general info session before too, but another question about it: can you only attend the general info session after your interview?
It says on my portal "In lieu of the campus tour, we will be hosting a general chat session with our currently enrolled students, Dean/Director of Student Admissions for applicants who have completed their interviews during the preceding month" just sounds odd to me not to learn more about the school prior to the interview. Most info sessions at schools have been before the actual interview.
Sorry read the rest of the thread and see that the info session is indeed after the interview. Just wanted to make sure I understood that lol don't want to make any mistakes.

Do we have to reach out ourselves to get the zoom link for the General Chat session post-II? or they send it out themselves?

Do we have to reach out ourselves to get the zoom link for the General Chat session post-II? or they send it out themselves?

You should have gotten an email post-interview with the zoom link for it. I also got another email today for the general chat session, so you should've gotten 2-3 emails from them in total with the link. Check your spam folder maybe? If it's not there, I'd email the admissions office.

You should have gotten an email post-interview with the zoom link for it. I also got another email today for the general chat session, so you should've gotten 2-3 emails from them in total with the link. Check your spam folder maybe? If it's not there, I'd email the admissions office.
I did get a post-interview email but it only briefly mentioned the General Chat Session. i interviewed on Dec 1st, 2020 so do I attend the session tomorrow (Friday) or the first Friday in January? Any clarification is appreciated.

I did get a post-interview email but it only briefly mentioned the General Chat Session. i interviewed on Dec 1st, 2020 so do I attend the session tomorrow (Friday) or the first Friday in January? Any clarification is appreciated.

Hmmm..I'm honestly not sure. I checked the email and it says to please RSVP by 5:00PM EST today (which past an hour ago). Maybe you'll have to attend the next session in January? Try emailing the admissions office right now if you'd rather just get it over with and attend the one tomorrow, I doubt it'll be an issue.

I was confused with this too...it sounds like it's the month after your interview. So it would be in january

II today!, complete 3 months ago to the day. IS, non-trad, average MCAT & lower GPA.
Only interview slots were in early and mid feb. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Just finished my interview! does anyone know if the person interviewing you is also a member of adcom/presents you to the committee? It seemed like she was awesome but not directly related to admissions even though it was open file.
in case you still need to know.. i had my interview recently and my interviewer said he will write a report and someone will present that to the committee (or maybe he will present it. i don't exactly remember). that being said, i felt like he was on the committee already.

For those that interviewed, how did you prepare for it? Was going over the SDN interview feedback for SUNY Downstate helpful or are those questions outdated?

Reactions: 1 users