-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1034652
02/21Does anyone know when they release post-interview results?
Welp....It's going to be a long winter.02/21
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are these questions more like standard interview ones (tell me your greatest strength/weakness, etc.), behavioral (MMIs), or more focused on your ECs?My interviewer was literally taking notes the entire time and looking down. They have a set of questions they have to ask so it's crucial for them to take notes of your answers. So honestly don't worry too much about where you are looking for this interview. In general, have the zoom on speaker screen (not gallery) and its best to try to look directly at the speaker and maybe glance at the camera every now and then. Don't let your eyes wander too much.
Standard interview questionsAre these questions more like standard interview ones (tell me your greatest strength/weakness, etc.), behavioral (MMIs), or more focused on your ECs?
any idea where they're at with II's/reviewing?
yeah it can take a while, don't worry. If its been a week I would send an email to the office just to make sure they know you are still interested but it should come within 2 weeks of your interview.Hey y'all. Has anyone else who interviewed here within the past week not yet received communication with the peer interviewer?
Thanks, will do!yeah it can take a while, don't worry. If its been a week I would send an email to the office just to make sure they know you are still interested but it should come within 2 weeks of your interview.
I feel like it's been 2 weeks since any IIs...
Does Downstate accept update/interest letters pre-II?
D
deleted963608
Yes they do I confirmed with them yesterdayDoes Downstate accept update/interest letters pre-II?
II today
Congrats! Complete date?II today
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too. Trying to not be worried... any other thoughts in this thread?Haven't heard back from this school yet, should I be worried? (I'm an in-state student)
First week of AugustCongrats! Complete date?
pre-med202022
Full Member
II today! Complete date 08/15. LM 65
applicant20
Full Member
Has anybody already attended the post-II virtual student information session? Do people have their webcams on during this thing and are applicants going to participate at all? Would appreciate any insight!
pre-med202022
Full Member
II today! Complete date 08/15. LM 65
Just a side note. SUNY Downstate is one of my top choice schools. I did not think I was good enough to land an interview here with a 3.35 GPA and 505 --> 511 MCAT score. I had so much self doubt while applying to schools this cycle. However, I still gave it a try and worked so hard on the rest of my application. Getting this interview has only confirmed the notion for me that most medical schools take a holistic approach and anything is possible with determination and hard work.II today! Complete date 08/15. LM 65
Please do not be discouraged if you have not heard back for interviews yet. Your time will come, and we all have come this far for a reason. I am sure all of us are going to make great doctors one day.
This gave me hope! I'd also love to get an interview here 🙂 Congrats, and good luck!!Just a side note. SUNY Downstate is one of my top choice schools. I did not think I was good enough to land an interview here with a 3.35 GPA and 505 --> 511 MCAT score. I had so much self doubt while applying to schools this cycle. However, I still gave it a try and worked so hard on the rest of my application. Getting this interview has only confirmed the notion for me that most medical schools take a holistic approach and anything is possible with determination and hard work.
Please do not be discouraged if you have not heard back for interviews yet. Your time will come, and we all have come this far for a reason. I am sure all of us are going to make great doctors one day.
Just a side note. SUNY Downstate is one of my top choice schools. I did not think I was good enough to land an interview here with a 3.35 GPA and 505 --> 511 MCAT score. I had so much self doubt while applying to schools this cycle. However, I still gave it a try and worked so hard on the rest of my application. Getting this interview has only confirmed the notion for me that most medical schools take a holistic approach and anything is possible with determination and hard work.
Please do not be discouraged if you have not heard back for interviews yet. Your time will come, and we all have come this far for a reason. I am sure all of us are going to make great doctors one day.
I am crying in the club rn this was so inspirational. I was complete at the end of August and this is one of my top choice schools because I'm from NYC (not a current resident tho bc adulthood moving) and I haven't heard back at all. I just wanna be back in my hometown with all of my family :/
pre-med202022
Full Member
I am crying in the club rn this was so inspirational. I was complete at the end of August and this is one of my top choice schools because I'm from NYC (not a current resident tho bc adulthood moving) and I haven't heard back at all. I just wanna be back in my hometown with all of my family :/
Praying for you. You got this
Zulka
Full Member
Congrats! What was your complete date? Thank you!This school is my top choice so I'm excited I got an interview offer here :')
Thank you, I completed it on 8/1Congrats! What was your complete date? Thank you!
Mcath8er
Full Member
I am crying in the club rn this was so inspirational. I was complete at the end of August and this is one of my top choice schools because I'm from NYC (not a current resident tho bc adulthood moving) and I haven't heard back at all. I just wanna be back in my hometown with all of my family :/
me too! I really feel you & I wanna be back at home as well. Hopefully there's luck & room for us <3
I only had December optionsCongrats!! Did you know what dates are available for interviews?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Open filehey guys, do you know id the interview is open or closed file?
Have my peer to peer coming up here. Can anyone say what it was like? I know for the most part it's laid back and its a good opportunity to learn about the school. But pretty sure there are some questions they have to ask. What kind of interview questions do they ask?
thank you, i appreciate itOpen file
The college website says "If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites."
Is it worth applying to if you did not take college courses or advanced courses?
Is it worth applying to if you did not take college courses or advanced courses?
The college website says "If your undergraduate college has awarded you AP credits and the credits are listed on your transcript, we will also accept your AP credits to fulfill our prerequisites if the course is listed by subject title on your final official college transcript. However, in order for the Admissions Committee to consider you to be competitive for admission, you should take advanced level science course work equivalent to the number of credit hours which have been accepted for AP prerequisites."
Is it worth applying to if you did not take college courses or advanced courses?
Are you asking because most of your prerequisite coursework was covered with AP credits you obtained in high school?
Has anybody already attended the post-II virtual student information session? Do people have their webcams on during this thing and are applicants going to participate at all? Would appreciate any insight!
I would be interested in this as well if anyone has any insight
D
deleted1054798
Most people had their webcams on. They put you in breakout rooms like 3/4 downstate students and 15ish applicants so you can def ask questions.I would be interested in this as well if anyone has any insight
applicant20
Full Member
Most people had their webcams on. They put you in breakout rooms like 3/4 downstate students and 15ish applicants so you can def ask questions.
Oh wow. Were the downstate students a mix of first-fourth years? or specifically first, second, etc. years?
D
deleted1054798
Definitely a mix. Had 1st, 2nd and a 4th year if I remember correctlyOh wow. Were the downstate students a mix of first-fourth years? or specifically first, second, etc. years?
Are you asking because most of your prerequisite coursework was covered with AP credits you obtained in high school?
That is correct.
which AP classes are you referring to?That is correct.
I did not expect an II on Sunday! LM 70.5, IS, ORM. Complete 8/24
Congrats @NY_Premed !!!II today, 3.68/504 mcat. Did not think I had a chance, very surprised and excited!
Complete date ? URM or ORM ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Completed 9/13. IS (obviously from name haha). and neither URM or ORM (caucasian).Congrats @NY_Premed !!!
Complete date ? URM or ORM ?
which AP classes are you referring to?
Personally, I did not take any general chemistry or physics in college (although I am planning to take a semester of physics in my last semester)
can anyone else help with this? my undergrad did not accept any science AP's so i had to go though that again. Do you guys think it's best for them to contact the admissions office themselves?Personally, I did not take any general chemistry or physics in college (although I am planning to take a semester of physics in my last semester)
Antsydancy
Full Member
Does anyone know if theyre having an info session or anything anytime soon
mendyzlato
New Member
II yesterday, IS, ORM, LM 69, complete late August. Super excited
In the confirmation email regarding my interview date, it stated, "We will provide you with a writing assignment that must be completed by 4 pm on the day of your interview." What kind of writing assignment is it, and will I have enough time to write it if my interview is at 2 PM?
In the confirmation email regarding my interview date, it stated, "We will provide you with a writing assignment that must be completed by 4 pm on the day of your interview." What kind of writing assignment is it, and will I have enough time to write it if my interview is at 2 PM?