2020-2021 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II for enmed as well! LizzyM 73, completed 07/30, but submitted enmed in november after the deadline extension was announced lol

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I’m out of state so I didn’t prematch, but I got accepted early November!
Thanks for the info! And you didn't submit any kind of application right? At least, from what I was told, there's no app, so just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the info! And you didn't submit any kind of application right? At least, from what I was told, there's no app, so just wanted to make sure.
That right! Everyone is automatically considered.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I’m out of state so I didn’t prematch, but I got accepted early November!
My understanding is every OOS matriculant gets a scholarship to bump them down to in-state tuition.

Reactions: 2 users
II invite received this morning! Date available was 1/21. In-state and complete in late June so color me surprised I got one from A&M this late in the process but hopefully this gives some hope for some applicants who haven't heard from A&M and were complete early.

Reactions: 7 users
At last check UTSW, McGovern and A&M follow the practice of giving a scholarship to OOS students to bump tuition down to instate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else prematch on October 15th and still not have A&M show up in the rank page? (or even prematch page)

Does anyone know how prematch heavy A&M is? I have to put a deposit down at another school and wondering if they will send out any more prematches before they (presumably) break for the holidays

Does anyone know how prematch heavy A&M is? I have to put a deposit down at another school and wondering if they will send out any more prematches before they (presumably) break for the holidays

Not worth the risk. Put down the deposit and put tamu higher in your rankings.

Has anyone who got a prematch on Oct. 15th been contacted by TMDSAS to send transcripts yet?

Has anyone who got a prematch on Oct. 15th been contacted by TMDSAS to send transcripts yet?

Not from here, but got prematched to a few other schools and I got a message from admin on tmdsas saying to submit grades as soon as they were released and send transcripts accordingly.

So, since A&M is not on the pre-match offer withdrawal tab, I don’t think they’ve actually sent into TMDSAS some of their prematches (at least not mine from 10/15). So, I don’t think TMDSAS is going to send a request until they do.

I did get a prematch from a different school, that withdrawal page got updated, and TMDSAS asked for my transcripts.

How were anyone's interviewers? One of mine was sort of antagonistic, he was very nice and courteous and still professional, but I felt like I had to defend my app and some of my answers during the interview. It almost felt like he didn't think I should be there. The other interviewer was perfectly normal. I feel like I handled him well but looking back I feel like it diminished my chances, which is a bummer cuz I really liked the school.

Last edited:
How were anyone's interviewers? One of mine was sort of antagonistic, he was very nice and courteous and still professional, but I felt like I had to defend my app and some of my answers during the interview. It almost felt like he didn't think I should be there. The other interviewer was perfectly normal. I feel like I handled him well but looking back I feel like it diminished my chances, which is a bummer cuz I really liked the school.

My interviewers were both very nice and I was ultimately accepted to the school, but one did ask questions regarding my app like "explain this bad grade in this class". I think they ask these questions to gauge how you respond to uncomfortable situations and I wouldn't think too much of it affecting your chances unless you really flubbed a response so it sounds like you are fine.

Reactions: 1 users

I had the exact same situation for my interview and I thought for sure my chances were over, but I ended up with a prematch!

Prematched here today! So stunned because I thought my interview went horribly. As a non-traditional student and a re-applicant, this is the best feeling in the world. I interviewed at only one other school I would take over TAMU, and I imagine I’ll have to wait until Match Day to know for sure. Otherwise, can’t wait to meet some of you guys later next year!

• Love
ENMED PROGRAM THOUGHTS
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum today although I've been in the cycle for a while. I would like to share about my experiencing interviewing for the A&M EnMed program - I'm not sure if anyone else has shared about this, but since it's a fairly new program, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this. Unfortunately it's been a couple of months so I may not remember all the details, but I'll do my best.

My Application Details
TMDSAS complete 5/21, transmitted 6/12, letters 7/14
2° complete 9/8, II 9/25, IA 10/12, A 11/4 (yay!! :giggle:)
ORM, In State

Logistics
There was a pre-interview social (EnMed specific) on the Sunday evening. It was pretty chill, they put together an interesting trivia game for the first half an hour, and then took questions. Monday was interview day, beginning in the morning with a whole bunch of presentations on curriculum and the program, Q&A, and then an "engineering innovation activity" which was like a ten minute group project and presentation lol. That got us from 8:00 am to 11:30 am, then came lunch break and a concurrent (optional) student panel, followed by interviews from 12:30 pm through to 5:00 pm (not the whole time, of course. That would be killer.)

Interview
I believe that the EnMed committee and the College of Medicine (COM) conduct their "own" interviews. I had one 30-minute EnMed interview with two of the people on their committee/panel, followed by two 30-minute interviews with professors from COM. Mine were all back to back (yes, it was quite exhausting, I hope that isn't you).

Impressions

Good

1. Generally, hearing about how the engineering mentality is worked into medical education is really exciting. The students say that the EnMed program isn't comprised of two completely separate and unconnected parts (the "medical" and the "engineering" parts). For example, when learning about a new physiological system, they immediately also get to learning about medical technology and innovation pertaining to those systems. That sounds really cool to me and I think a learning environment like that would really equip students to think like physicianeers (as A&M like to say).
2. Students also seem to have lots of opportunities to engage in research and engineering design - one of the MS2s was doing research in a lab that was designing technology for use in resource-constrained environments.
3. Because the EnMed program is fairly new, professors are pretty involved in developing the curriculum and program, and constantly working to make the student experience better. I think it makes the students feel cared for, and it makes the program seem more refreshing.
4. It did feel like the faculty was promoting the EnMed program pretty heavily. While it is a privilege to attend any medical school, it helps to understand why they were so excited to convince prospective students of the value of the EnMed program (see below).

Not So Good
5. The EnMed program's youth does it a disservice. There are currently only two classes (we would be the third class). As a result, I feel like a lot of the claims made about providing opportunities for innovation and engineering design are still untested. I felt the tentative uncertainty in the students during the student Q&A. I asked both students and the faculty that interviewed me, about how they would help students innovate, create, and form startups. The general response was "we're not sure yet, but we'll figure it out when we get there".
6. One of the claims that might be made about EnMed is that, because it's one of the first of its kind (which is somewhat true), it has attracted and will attract lots of interest. This will presumably increase the likelihood that professionals from other institutions will be willing to collaborate with and support A&M EnMed students. One student remarked that "just having 'A&M EnMed' on your email signature may sometimes get people to reply to your emails out of interest". However, (if you can't tell), I'm skeptical of this because novelty alone can only bring so much prestige/recognition to a particular school or program. EnMed sounds cool, but maybe only for now, and this also brings me to my last point:
7. Ultimately, EnMed is still associated with Texas A&M, which is nationally a mid-tier school. TX does have a special affection for Aggies (A&M graduates), so it's a fair choice for people planning to stay in TX. But otherwise, I would personally view the EnMed program as not adding too much in terms of prestige/reputation.
8. In my opinion, the reasons above explain why the EnMed program is excited to look for the best and the brightest. Improving the quality of the class increases the likelihood of medical students actually innovating, inventing, and making full use of the additional opportunities that EnMed claims to offer.

Overall
TAMU College of Medicine is a decent school, and the EnMed program sounds really exciting and has the potential to be a revolutionary educational experience. However, I believe that the EnMed program's reputation will always be constrained by the reputation of TAMUCOM itself. For example, for Baylor to offer a similar program would be a whole other story.

Advice
1. This is a new program with lots of untested waters. With greater risk and uncertainty comes the possibility of both greater reward and greater disappointment. My recommendation is for you to grasp this risk, understand it, and still be okay with it before committing to EnMed over some other potentially more reputable but less exciting program. In order to grasp this risk, I recommend that you ask the students and faculty real, down-to-earth questions. Allow yourself to be rendered a little uneasy by their tentative, uncertain response. But also consider the incredible learning opportunity that potentially awaits you. Then decide if that potential gain is worth the level of uneasiness you feel.
2. Despite the veiled pessimism in my post, remember that the EnMed program cannot possibly be worse than TAMUCOM's MD program itself. If you're cool with TAMUCOM's MD program, why not go to EnMed? The big question though is if you receive an offer from a more reputable but less exciting program. What then are your priorities? How much does a Masters in Engineering mean to you? And how do you weigh the potential benefit that the EnMed program brings for you?
3. Send thank-you notes to the interviewers. I found the email addresses through a quick Google search.

I apologize if my pessimism is a little overbearing in my post. I try to be objective (but I guess none of us ever are) and explain why I think what I think. Please correct me if I made any errors, and also feel free to disagree with me. The above is just the opinion of a pre-med student, of which most of you are. Stay warm!

ENMED PROGRAM THOUGHTS
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum today although I've been in the cycle for a while. I would like to share about my experiencing interviewing for the A&M EnMed program - I'm not sure if anyone else has shared about this, but since it's a fairly new program, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this. Unfortunately it's been a couple of months so I may not remember all the details, but I'll do my best.

My Application Details
TMDSAS complete 5/21, transmitted 6/12, letters 7/14
2° complete 9/8, II 9/25, IA 10/12, A 11/4 (yay!! :giggle:)
ORM, In State

Logistics
There was a pre-interview social (EnMed specific) on the Sunday evening. It was pretty chill, they put together an interesting trivia game for the first half an hour, and then took questions. Monday was interview day, beginning in the morning with a whole bunch of presentations on curriculum and the program, Q&A, and then an "engineering innovation activity" which was like a ten minute group project and presentation lol. That got us from 8:00 am to 11:30 am, then came lunch break and a concurrent (optional) student panel, followed by interviews from 12:30 pm through to 5:00 pm (not the whole time, of course. That would be killer.)

Interview
I believe that the EnMed committee and the College of Medicine (COM) conduct their "own" interviews. I had one 30-minute EnMed interview with two of the people on their committee/panel, followed by two 30-minute interviews with professors from COM. Mine were all back to back (yes, it was quite exhausting, I hope that isn't you).

Impressions

Good

1. Generally, hearing about how the engineering mentality is worked into medical education is really exciting. The students say that the EnMed program isn't comprised of two completely separate and unconnected parts (the "medical" and the "engineering" parts). For example, when learning about a new physiological system, they immediately also get to learning about medical technology and innovation pertaining to those systems. That sounds really cool to me and I think a learning environment like that would really equip students to think like physicianeers (as A&M like to say).
2. Students also seem to have lots of opportunities to engage in research and engineering design - one of the MS2s was doing research in a lab that was designing technology for use in resource-constrained environments.
3. Because the EnMed program is fairly new, professors are pretty involved in developing the curriculum and program, and constantly working to make the student experience better. I think it makes the students feel cared for, and it makes the program seem more refreshing.
4. It did feel like the faculty was promoting the EnMed program pretty heavily. While it is a privilege to attend any medical school, it helps to understand why they were so excited to convince prospective students of the value of the EnMed program (see below).

Not So Good
5. The EnMed program's youth does it a disservice. There are currently only two classes (we would be the third class). As a result, I feel like a lot of the claims made about providing opportunities for innovation and engineering design are still untested. I felt the tentative uncertainty in the students during the student Q&A. I asked both students and the faculty that interviewed me, about how they would help students innovate, create, and form startups. The general response was "we're not sure yet, but we'll figure it out when we get there".
6. One of the claims that might be made about EnMed is that, because it's one of the first of its kind (which is somewhat true), it has attracted and will attract lots of interest. This will presumably increase the likelihood that professionals from other institutions will be willing to collaborate with and support A&M EnMed students. One student remarked that "just having 'A&M EnMed' on your email signature may sometimes get people to reply to your emails out of interest". However, (if you can't tell), I'm skeptical of this because novelty alone can only bring so much prestige/recognition to a particular school or program. EnMed sounds cool, but maybe only for now, and this also brings me to my last point:
7. Ultimately, EnMed is still associated with Texas A&M, which is nationally a mid-tier school. TX does have a special affection for Aggies (A&M graduates), so it's a fair choice for people planning to stay in TX. But otherwise, I would personally view the EnMed program as not adding too much in terms of prestige/reputation.
8. In my opinion, the reasons above explain why the EnMed program is excited to look for the best and the brightest. Improving the quality of the class increases the likelihood of medical students actually innovating, inventing, and making full use of the additional opportunities that EnMed claims to offer.

Overall
TAMU College of Medicine is a decent school, and the EnMed program sounds really exciting and has the potential to be a revolutionary educational experience. However, I believe that the EnMed program's reputation will always be constrained by the reputation of TAMUCOM itself. For example, for Baylor to offer a similar program would be a whole other story.

Advice
1. This is a new program with lots of untested waters. With greater risk and uncertainty comes the possibility of both greater reward and greater disappointment. My recommendation is for you to grasp this risk, understand it, and still be okay with it before committing to EnMed over some other potentially more reputable but less exciting program. In order to grasp this risk, I recommend that you ask the students and faculty real, down-to-earth questions. Allow yourself to be rendered a little uneasy by their tentative, uncertain response. But also consider the incredible learning opportunity that potentially awaits you. Then decide if that potential gain is worth the level of uneasiness you feel.
2. Despite the veiled pessimism in my post, remember that the EnMed program cannot possibly be worse than TAMUCOM's MD program itself. If you're cool with TAMUCOM's MD program, why not go to EnMed? The big question though is if you receive an offer from a more reputable but less exciting program. What then are your priorities? How much does a Masters in Engineering mean to you? And how do you weigh the potential benefit that the EnMed program brings for you?
3. Send thank-you notes to the interviewers. I found the email addresses through a quick Google search.

I apologize if my pessimism is a little overbearing in my post. I try to be objective (but I guess none of us ever are) and explain why I think what I think. Please correct me if I made any errors, and also feel free to disagree with me. The above is just the opinion of a pre-med student, of which most of you are. Stay warm!
What do you mean when you say “ Enmed cannot possibly worse than TAMUCOM’s MD program itself”? Not trying to be aggressive or anything, but Im trying to gain more perspectives about TAMU as I decide how to rank it.

What do you mean when you say “ Enmed cannot possibly worse than TAMUCOM’s MD program itself”? Not trying to be aggressive or anything, but Im trying to gain more perspectives about TAMU as I decide how to rank it.

Sorry if that sentence comes across as too hyperbolic. What I'm trying to say is that the EnMed program builds on the existing MD program at Texas A&M. Hence, despite having painted the EnMed program as a riskier choice, I'm trying to communicate that the EnMed program is still fundamentally a TAMUCOM MD program. So, even if the engineering aspect (or the EnMed program aspect) does not live up to its claims and expectations, you should still be receiving a medical education at least equal to what traditional MD students at TAMUCOM are receiving.

In my rankings, the EnMed program makes TAMU my next best choice after Baylor and UTSW. Without the EnMed program, TAMU would have ranked lower for me. So really, TAMU gets "bonus points" in my ranking because of the EnMed program. But again, I'm awarding bonus points based on potential improvement in educational experience. Hope this helps!

Sorry if that sentence comes across as too hyperbolic. What I'm trying to say is that the EnMed program builds on the existing MD program at Texas A&M. Hence, despite having painted the EnMed program as a riskier choice, I'm trying to communicate that the EnMed program is still fundamentally a TAMUCOM MD program. So, even if the engineering aspect (or the EnMed program aspect) does not live up to its claims and expectations, you should still be receiving a medical education at least equal to what traditional MD students at TAMUCOM are receiving.

In my rankings, the EnMed program makes TAMU my next best choice after Baylor and UTSW. Without the EnMed program, TAMU would have ranked lower for me. So really, TAMU gets "bonus points" in my ranking because of the EnMed program. But again, I'm awarding bonus points based on potential improvement in educational experience. Hope this helps!
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Prematched here today! So stunned because I thought my interview went horribly. As a non-traditional student and a re-applicant, this is the best feeling in the world. I interviewed at only one other school I would take over TAMU, and I imagine I’ll have to wait until Match Day to know for sure. Otherwise, can’t wait to meet some of you guys later next year!
Congrats! When was your interview?

Alright! Just got an II!! Interview date was 1/21. Complete 9/12 (around) with LM 77.

• Love
Accepted yesterday! I couldn't believe it! I'd all but given up!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone who recently got II, provide the latest date TAMHSC is scheduling interviews. Dead silence since 2'ary completion in Aug.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone who recently got II, provide the latest date TAMHSC is scheduling interviews. Dead silence since 2'ary completion in Aug.
They only offered me the 1/21 date, so I don't know what else might be available. Best of luck, though.

Reactions: 3 users
Got the A today. To those still waiting to hear, keep your head up—I believe in you and am rooting for you!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I received an acceptance yesterday (12/16) after interviewing early november. Reapplicant, IS, LM 69-70 super happy they gave me a chance 🥺

Reactions: 6 users
Just to verify, completing the acceptance acknowledgement form is not binding right?
Correct. Accept all offers for now, rank all schools where you interviewed for Texas TMDSAS Match, and the Match will sort it out leaving you with one school.

If you have so many pre-match offers that there are one or more you are SURE you would not like to attend, you are also free to politely decline a pre-match offer.
Few are in this situation, and there is no requirement to do this. Do not feel pressure to do this if you are still considering and deciding.
All are free to wait until the Match, at which point you will have a seat at one school.

This long wait period between interviews and Match is hard, hang in there everyone.