-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Texas A&M
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted975161
Wondering this too. I did not get any notification.Just wondering but after accepting our offer on the portal, is there any notification from the admissions office of confirmation of acceptance? Or do we just trust the portal?
Using the school's portal will do it.Wondering this too. I did not get any notification.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted880375
By trust the portal, did you mean where it says "Your application status is: ACCEPTED" at the top?Just wondering but after accepting our offer on the portal, is there any notification from the admissions office of confirmation of acceptance? Or do we just trust the portal?
marauders98
Full Member
For A&M, is there a separate application for scholarships? Also, when filling out FAFSA do you need to include your parent's info? And do you have to wait until you're accepted to fill out FAFSA?
By trust the portal, did you mean where it says "Your application status is: ACCEPTED" at the top?
No I mean when you submit your acceptance form for “will attend”, there is no notification that they in fact received this.
D
deleted880375
I did not receive any notification (I think as long as we do not have any "outstanding assignment" we should be good). And to be clear, my previous comment was not meant in jest, genuinely was wondering what part of the portal you were referring to.No I mean when you submit your acceptance form for “will attend”, there is no notification that they in fact received this.
Brownkid95
Full Member
Got a congratulations email from the professor I interviewed with, but they called me the wrong name. LMAO
SubjectTranquil
Full Member
Anyone else prematched and just super excited for July??
I am looking forward to the adventure!Anyone else prematched and just super excited for July??
The school just seems full of quality people, too. They have been kind enough to try to help me find some accommodations for my SO, even though they are very busy and could have respectfully declined.
MissDoctaDocta
Full Member
Have they sent out any more IIs since prematch?
Yes and interviews will continue to go out for some time.Have they sent out any more IIs since prematch?
SubjectTranquil
Full Member
Yes, I think most of us actuallyanyone's prematch still not on TMDSAS??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SubjectTranquil
Full Member
When you find out a good source for this info, let us know!Where are you guys hoping to do clinical rotations? I can't find any information on the premed forums on the advantages/disadvantages of Dallas v. Temple v. Houston v. BCS.
It's all about what location/environment and hospital you want to primarily be around.Where are you guys hoping to do clinical rotations? I can't find any information on the premed forums on the advantages/disadvantages of Dallas v. Temple v. Houston v. BCS.
Dallas: Baylor Medical Center (#4 in TX) and Cook Children's (a very good pediatric hospital)
Houston: Methodist (#1 in TX)
Temple: BSW (#6 in TX)
BCS: St. Joseph's (lower than the others, but still a decent hospital)
Keep in mind, that you can do rotations at any of those locations, without setting it up as an away rotation, regardless of which campus you go to.
I plan on going to Temple--it fits the bill for the location and environment I wish to practice in, while getting exposure to every specialty and a quality health system and I like the student clinic setup best there--but I may also try to go to Dallas, where my family is.
Last edited:
Every place will have equivalent volunteering opportunities (each location has a student run clinic or, in the case of BCS, a student-friendly clinic) and there will be stuff to do around each community. BCS will also have many opportunities for volunteering with A&M student organizations which may be more limited in other locations.Do you know about the differences in research and volunteer opportunities at these locations?
BCS and Houston have plenty of research going on and are where the bulk (if not all) of research faculty associated with the COM are located.
Dallas and Temple will certainly have clinical research going on, but not to the same extent and facility access as BCS and Houston. BCS also benefits from non-COM research, if you wanted to do other research and organized it with a mentor from another A&M college.
non-college-of-medicine. For example, if you wanted to go do biochemistry/chemistry research, with or without clinical applications, under a mentor in the College of Science, then you may be able to set that up with the PI.Sorry, but what is non-COM?
How much of a role do you think the location of your clinical rotations will play in matching into a competitive specialty? Or is it "school name" that matters more (since STEP is now P/F)?It's all about what location/environment and hospital you want to primarily be around.
Dallas: Baylor Medical Center (#4 in TX) and Cook Children's (a very good pediatric hospital)
Houston: Methodist (#1 in TX)
Temple: BSW (#6 in TX)
BCS: St. Jospeh's (lower than the others, but still a decent hospital)
Keep in mind, that you can do rotations at any of those locations, without setting it up as an away rotation, regardless of which campus you go to.
I plan on going to Temple--it fits the bill for the location and environment I wish to practice in, while getting exposure to every specialty and a quality health system and I like the student clinic setup best there--but I may also try to go to Dallas, where my family is.
No one knows how STEP's transition will impact things.How much of a role do you think the location of your clinical rotations will play in matching into a competitive specialty? Or is it "school name" that matters more (since STEP is now P/F)?
I do not think anyone from A&M will be more or disadvantaged for going to one campus vs another. More important than the location is how well you do in your rotations and passing your shelf exams. The impact it will have will be in the connections made and networking done where you are. However, you can always take rotations at other locations to do this same thing (like an audition rotation) and each location should see you as an in-house applicant for residency, since they are all affiliated with A&M.
I honestly cannot figure out if A&M provides scholarships to IS (OOS obtain a scholarship that is just enough to bump them down to in-state tuition).Can someone answer whether scholarships were awarded during acceptance?
Also, the financial aid package from A&M will not be awarded to accepted applicants until May/June.
D
deleted880375
I'm leaning towards Dallas. Large city + Baylor University Medical Center is a pretty academic environment so both of those fit well with my career goals. Temple is A&M's OG clinical campus site so just based off that I bet the clinical training you get there is excellent since they have been training med students for 40+ years. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the campuses. The interview handbook had a lot of info on each of the campuses.Where are you guys hoping to do clinical rotations? I can't find any information on the premed forums on the advantages/disadvantages of Dallas v. Temple v. Houston v. BCS.
So everyone is at Bryan/College Station (BCS) the first two years and then you get to pick your regional campus for clinical rotations for years 3 and 4? As a person who's spouse will be attending grad school in BCS, what is the likelihood of me not getting assigned the BCS campus? or is it pretty easy to obtain your campus of choice?
From what I've heard, the only regional tracks that are competitive are Houston and Dallas. If BCS is your first choice, then I'm pretty sure you will get it.So everyone is at Bryan/College Station (BCS) the first two years and then you get to pick your regional campus for clinical rotations for years 3 and 4? As a person who's spouse will be attending grad school in BCS, what is the likelihood of me not getting assigned the BCS campus? or is it pretty easy to obtain your campus of choice?
So everyone is at Bryan/College Station (BCS) the first two years and then you get to pick your regional campus for clinical rotations for years 3 and 4? As a person who's spouse will be attending grad school in BCS, what is the likelihood of me not getting assigned the BCS campus? or is it pretty easy to obtain your campus of choice?
Per current students, they are also extremely accommodating for circumstances, like family and SO’s that have needs. You write about your justification for what you chose and can even apply for reconsideration if you happen to not get where you need to be. If your spouse is anchored to an area, I’m sure you will get first dibs on that location (not to mention many people get their top choices anyway).From what I've heard, the only regional tracks that are competitive are Houston and Dallas. If BCS is your first choice, then I'm pretty sure you will get it.
Also, you apply for locations before MS1 (to give time for any problems to be fixed) and preclinical time is only 1.5 years, then you move. It used to be you would move after 12 months and finish the last 6 months of preclinicals at your clinical location, but I think they changed that so everyone stays together at BCS for 1.5 years (I bring this up because I could be wrong and would appreciate verification since the curriculum breakdown is no where to be found online or on the handouts).
Fair enough. I like A&M as a medical school, but it's just a reminder that these places aren't your friend and you should always be highly skeptical of any profit motive behind what they do or say (That's why I have SDN to clear things up). Although, I'm glad that TMDSAS was merciful and didn't do anything like AAMC VITA or SJT (although TMDSAS schools have CA$PER).
I wouldn’t say they had malicious intent. Med schools mess up too apparently. Just look at Mayo from last ut
marauders98
Full Member
Why, what's happening in July??Anyone else prematched and just super excited for July??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You start Med school...Why, what's happening in July??
marauders98
Full Member
Oh haha. Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?You start Med school...
I (current M3) was also OOS and got news of a scholarship in December. Best of luck!I got in as OOS and have not been granted any scholarships (yet). Will I be notified of any sort of scholarship later?
Hey, would you mind sharing whether the preclinical exams are in-house or NBME and if you know about any anki decks which are better at covering the material tested on (if the exams are in-house)?I (current M3) was also OOS and got news of a scholarship in December. Best of luck!
I (current M3) was also OOS and got news of a scholarship in December. Best of luck!
Did you need to do anything or are we all just considered automatically for the scholarships?
Hey, would you mind sharing whether the preclinical exams are in-house or NBME and if you know about any anki decks which are better at covering the material tested on (if the exams are in-house)?
We had in house exams for preclinical, but that might have changed now. An M1 or M2 would know better than me. For most of preclinical I made my own anki cards, but in hindsight I probably could have saved some time by just doing the Anking cards.
Did you need to do anything or are we all just considered automatically for the scholarships?
Automatic consideration
FunGuyKawhi
New Member
Does anyone know what criteria has been used in the past to select students for scholarships?
what was your complete date?So got an II 3 days ago for 11/5 and didn't even see and email or anything about it but got a reminder email from a nice lady at the school this morning. Very excited to interview here, LizzyM 70
OBGYNKenoby
Full Member
Hey guys! I just received an II. Thing is, I'm super low on PTO at my job. The email says that the SPE is just two 5 minute interactions, but it also says I have to be available for the full three hours. What else happens during that time and would I be able to get away with logging in for the 3 hours, but not paying attention until my turn?
MissDoctaDocta
Full Member
Hey guys! I just received an II. Thing is, I'm super low on PTO at my job. The email says that the SPE is just two 5 minute interactions, but it also says I have to be available for the full three hours. What else happens during that time and would I be able to get away with logging in for the 3 hours, but not paying attention until my turn?
congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats, complete date, and interview dates available?
Hey guys! I just received an II. Thing is, I'm super low on PTO at my job. The email says that the SPE is just two 5 minute interactions, but it also says I have to be available for the full three hours. What else happens during that time and would I be able to get away with logging in for the 3 hours, but not paying attention until my turn?
You log in for the training and for your 2 SPEs. After you are done with your SPEs you can log out and go about your day.
primary submitted on 5/5, secondary submitted on 6/14, i dont remember seeing a complete emailwhat was your complete date?
Last edited:
OBGYNKenoby
Full Member
Sure thing!congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats, complete date, and interview dates available?
OOS, 3.86 GPA, 3.67 sGPA, 513 MCAT, secondary complete Sep 7, only date they offered me was Nov 5
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you or any of your classmates in the AIM program? I was wondering if anyone could speak about to positives/negatives of this program.Automatic consideration
Does anyone know when we get to rank the regional campuses?
Does anyone know when we get to rank the regional campuses?
Spring semester of ms1
wannabebee
New Member
Congrats! When was your interview?Pre-matched early yesterday morning, hope to be seeing some of you guys next year!