2020-2021 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ProctorU experience was honestly so ****ty that I just wanted to be over with the test as soon as possible. I think I spent maybe 10 or 15 minutes total on the actual test? Just didn't really give a damn lol. So, in a sense, I'm fairly surprised and happy that I got a 7. I thought it would be worse.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you know this? do you know how much weight does the SJT play in the Admissions team's decision?

I had a zoom meeting someone high up from admission team (might have been admission dean. Don't remember exactly). They said it will not be a big factor. It will be used as a tie breaker after interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap. Then it's still a big factor then.

There are many things you can stress over during the application cycle and SJT is not one of them. First, it is not viewed until after interview -> worry about it after your interview. Second, let's say you get an interview, then there is no way that your PS, EC, GPA, MCAT, letters, interviews are absolutely tied with another applicant that they have to use SJT score to break tie. Last, SJT happened and you don't have redo so why stress about it? It's already out of your hands. SJT IS NOT BIG DEAL. Go grab some beer or something and shake it off

Reactions: 3 users
Got an interview earlier with a 505 MCAT and 3.9 GPA! Still can’t believe I got an interview with my mcat score

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
There are many things you can stress over during the application cycle and SJT is not one of them. First, it is not viewed until after interview -> worry about it after your interview. Second, let's say you get an interview, then there is no way that your PS, EC, GPA, MCAT, letters, interviews are absolutely tied with another applicant that they have to use SJT score to break tie. Last, SJT happened and you don't have redo so why stress about it? It's already out of your hands. SJT IS NOT BIG DEAL. Go grab some beer or something and shake it off
thank you for taking the time to write this for me. This application cycle, specifically this SJT score got the best of me. I'd appreciate your encouragement and advice.

Got a 3 (38th percentile) on the SJT :( Complete 7/14 and silence.

• Care
I submitted my secondary early August, and I took my SJT fairly late around early to mid Sept, scored a 7. I was one of the first wave of interview invites it seems, received my invite on the 23rd of Sept.

Based on the timing of finishing up my SJT and getting the invite, it sort of seem to me getting an interview invite has little to do with my SJT score.

I just hope this help reduce the anxiety of those that are still waiting for a response back and thinking their SJT score tanked their chances.

*edit to include stats for those wondering*
Non-trad, re-applicant, 3.65 average GPA, and 513 MCAT score.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an II! Received it on Wednesday at 7pm. URM, 511 MCAT, 3.98 gpa, IS, ties to Norther California

Are there any admitted students that can contact me? I have some questions I would really appreciate answers to. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my secondary early August, and I took my SJT fairly late around early to mid Sept, scored a 7. I was one of the first wave of interview invites it seems, received my invite on the 23rd of Sept.

Based on the timing of finishing up my SJT and getting the invite, it sort of seem to me getting an interview invite has little to do with my SJT score.

I just hope this help reduce the anxiety of those that are still waiting for a response back and thinking their SJT score tanked their chances.

*edit to include stats for those wondering*
Non-trad, re-applicant, 3.65 average GPA, and 513 MCAT score.

Congrats on the II! Have you interviewed yet?

Congrats on the II! Have you interviewed yet?

Thanks! and congrats for your II as well!! I haven't interviewed yet, my interview is on the 26th of this month. I waited a few days to select my interview date because UCD has strict instructions on the photo they require everyone to upload before they can schedule a date. So, by the time I had an updated photo to select my date, the only spot left for my II cohort was on Oct 26th.

thanks for sharing. i think in your case sjt played 0 role at all since SJT scores were released to UCD on 10/14 and you got your interview in September.

My train of thought is that if people were offered II without any consideration of the SJT, they have to apply the same standard to all applicants. If they didn't, then it would be terribly unfair for those that are being measured by the SJT to receive an interview invite.

*Edit*
I just literally received this email from UCD concerning SJT and how it affects an applicant:
Dear 2021 UC Davis School of Medicine Applicant:

We would like to provide an update regarding the SJT to all applicants for the cycle. Thank you to those that took the exam. If you did not complete an SJT exam, it will not affect you negatively. Please review the following FAQ responses.

How will the schools and I get my AAMC SJT score?

The AAMC will provide your score directly to UC Davis School of Medicine. Please do not send your scores to us.

Will the school be informed if I voided my AAMC SJT score?

No, the school(s) will not receive your score report if you voided your AAMC SJT score. This does not negatively impact your application since the SJT was not mandatory.

What does my SJT score mean?

Because we are in a pilot year of testing the SJT, your score will be not be considered in any part of the evaluation of your application for final admissions decision.

The AAMC collaborated with medical educators, including faculty, admissions officers, and student and diversity affairs officers to develop the scoring key for the SJT (i.e., the key effectiveness rating for each response).

Your score is based on the extent to which your effectiveness rating for each response aligns with medical educators’ ratings for each response. Full credit is awarded for an item if your response matches the medical educators’ rating. Partial credit is awarded if your rating is close to the medical educators’ rating. Higher scores suggest that your ratings align more closely with medical educators ratings; whereas lower scores suggest your ratings align less closely with medical educators ratings.

Please keep in mind that the SJT is one of several factors schools may consider when evaluating applicants. If we find that SJT scores enhance our holistic process, we may consider them as one part of our ultimate admissions decision.

As a reminder, here is our Update Policy: Admission decisions will be based upon the information contained in the application materials at the time of review. The Admissions Committee does not accept updates from applicants including activities additions/updates, additional letters of recommendation, explanation of grades or metric scores, etc. Note: Substantial changes such as citizenship status or recipient of a nationally recognized award may be review and considered by the admissions committee on a case-by-case basis.

Again, I hope this helps people feeling anxious about their SJT!

Last edited:
bruh thought I was getting II or R but it was just the stupid SJT :lame:

Reactions: 8 users
I received an II! Received it on Wednesday at 7pm. URM, 511 MCAT, 3.98 gpa, IS, ties to Norther California

Are there any admitted students that can contact me? I have some questions I would really appreciate answers to. Good luck to everyone!
Congrats!!! If you don’t mind me asking, when were you complete??

1602878181522.png

Me saying congrats to all those who got a II when I haven't even gotten a secondary yet

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
bruh thought I was getting II or R but it was just the stupid SJT :lame:

hah same!! it's been all SJTs and brown bag lunch notifications this week and nothing juicy whatsoever sighhhh welp time for another weekend.......

Thanks! and congrats for your II as well!! I haven't interviewed yet, my interview is on the 26th of this month. I waited a few days to select my interview date because UCD has strict instructions on the photo they require everyone to upload before they can schedule a date. So, by the time I had an updated photo to select my date, the only spot left for my II cohort was on Oct 26th.

Ok. I am interviewing on the 30th of October. So are we among the first people interviewing? And, how are you preparing for the interview?

Feel free to contact me. Current student here.

Ok. I am interviewing on the 30th of October. So are we among the first people interviewing? And, how are you preparing for the interview?

I have been working through a MMI question sheet that has a 100 MMI type questions. I've been traumatized from the last application cycle (4 interviews: 2 top 10s and 2 top 30s), so I am doing more mock interview through help of friends,, and I am also fortunate enough to pay for medschoolcoach.com interview prep (damn expensive).

The first interview date was 10/9, FYI

Right, since I waited around 3 days to respond to my II (II received on Sept 23rd), the only date left for my II cohort was 10/26 lol.

Last edited:
I have been working through a MMI question sheet that has a 100 MMI type questions. I've been traumatized from the last application cycle (4 interviews: 2 top 10s and 2 top 30s), so I am doing more mock interview through help of friends,, and I am also fortunate enough to pay for medschoolcoach.com interview prep (damn expensive).

Ok. Would you mind directing me to where I can find that question sheet with 100 MMI questions? Is the interview prep from medschoolcoach helpful or worth it if one can afford it?

I'm also interviewing October 30th! I'm doing practice MMI's that I have found online. I know a current student that told me there will be more focus on "why medicine" and "why UCD" instead of their more typical standardized actors and scenario questions.

Ok. Would you mind directing me to where I can find that question sheet with 100 MMI questions? Is the interview prep from medschoolcoach helpful or worth it if one can afford it?

I just PM you the doc I'm using. I can't say how helpful medschoolcoach really is in the end since I've only just signed up for my first session early next week. I will share you my thoughts afterwards if you want!

I'm also interviewing October 30th! I'm doing practice MMI's that I have found online. I know a current student that told me there will be more focus on "why medicine" and "why UCD" instead of their more typical standardized actors and scenario questions.

Thanks for the heads up, this is helpful! I've also attended a webinar with UCLA and the admissions coordinator heavily suggests that you find something innocuous as a theme to answer those types of questions like 'why medicine' or 'tell me about yourself'.

For example: I can answer the tell me about yourself question by talking about my love for basketball. The reason why I love basketball was because I grew up in an underserved area. Basketball introduced me to a lot of concepts of getting along with people different than I. I learned a lot about teamwork which is why I value medicine because it's a team oriented practice, etc etc etc.

Just figured I share and hope this is helpful

Is Davis still sending out secondaries? I've been waiting 2 months...

I just PM you the doc I'm using. I can't say how helpful medschoolcoach really is in the end since I've only just signed up for my first session early next week. I will share you my thoughts afterwards if you want!

Thanks for the heads up, this is helpful! I've also attended a webinar with UCLA and the admissions coordinator heavily suggests that you find something innocuous as a theme to answer those types of questions like 'why medicine' or 'tell me about yourself'.

For example: I can answer the tell me about yourself question by talking about my love for basketball. The reason why I love basketball was because I grew up in an underserved area. Basketball introduced me to a lot of concepts of getting along with people different than I. I learned a lot about teamwork which is why I value medicine because it's a team oriented practice, etc etc etc.

Could you DM it to me too please

Could you share with me as well if you don't mind

Can you PM me the doc to please.

Does anyone happen to know when interviews for scholarly pathways might start?

Hard to say exactly. However, you will only be interviewed for the track programs after you receive an acceptance into the MD program. I believe it is separate people who look at the people to interview for the tracks. There may a be a case or two of people interviewing before they hear back about getting accepted or not, but generally that would happen toward the end of the cycle (March/April).

You will be asked to interview for the scholarly pathway after you've interviewed for regular Admissions. I'm also in one of the programs, but just know that it will happen after your regular admissions. Most likely if they interview for scholarly pathway they have accepted you or you will be accepted.

Hope this helps.

Could you send me the doc as well, pretty nervous about MMIs. Thank you!

Could you possibly DM this to me as well? Thanks so much! :)

521 MCAT, 3.87 GPA, 8 on the SJT and heavy NorCal ties (lived here all my life, went to high school and college here, and am now working in the Bay Area) but still nothing :( sadness

521 MCAT, 3.87 GPA, 8 on the SJT and heavy NorCal ties (lived here all my life, went to high school and college here, and am now working in the Bay Area) but still nothing :( sadness

Extremely similar stats and NorCal ties, complete mid-July, and radio silence since. Hang in there - we'll find out something soon, hopefully.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe they haven't reached your application yet. They received 8000 applications instead of 6000 this year. The director told me, so wait patiently. Your stats are amazing. You will get in!

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my primary here a month ago and still have not received a secondary. I know that not everyone receives a secondary, but I am just curious if this is me getting pre-secondary rejected or if they have not gotten to my primary yet? Thanks in advanced!

Just received an interview invite today! This is my second year applying. From the Sacramento area. 512 MCAT 3.51 GPA 3 SJT (LOL that probably means they're not factoring it in)

Reactions: 6 users
Just received an interview invite today! This is my second year applying. From the Sacramento area. 512 MCAT 3.51 GPA 3 SJT (LOL that probably means they're not factoring it in)
Woohoo more interviews! When were you complete?

anyone still waiting for secondaries here? Or should I call it silent rejection if I haven't heard **** yet.

Reactions: 7 users