You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UC Davis
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Patience is key! The order of which you get a secondary is not dependent on stats. Trust me, amazing stats means nothing in medical school. Every applicant gets a review of their application before being asked to interview. Secondaries will vary between now and January. Also, whether you have ties to North Cal is irrelevant. Our class is so diverse from all over.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is me af and I feel attacked 🤣 Secondary submitted 8/11, answer is hopefully coming soon - fingers crossed for II for all of us!Me watching II getting sent and checking email to see no IIView attachment 321095
D
deleted801891
Does anyone know how many applications UCD screens out before giving a secondary?
D
deleted801891
Received a secondary today! Completed my primary app in July
Are you from, or have ties to, Northern CA ?Received a secondary today! Completed my primary app in July
Anyone who interviewed yet? How did it feel? Obviously you can't talk mmi specifics but I'd be curious to know the stress level/difficulty and how you thought the virtual aspect was handled- just tryna calm myself down because this interview means the world to me lol
It went well! No technical issues. I’d say it was very fair. No need to stress- of course easier said than done! But I’m sure you’ll do great 🙂Anyone who interviewed yet? How did it feel? Obviously you can't talk mmi specifics but I'd be curious to know the stress level/difficulty and how you thought the virtual aspect was handled- just tryna calm myself down because this interview means the world to me lol
D
deleted801891
I am from southern CAAre you from, or have ties to, Northern CA ?
Attended university in northern CA
Did not mention in primary app but I do have Family that live throughout CA (nor cal and central) which I will mention on the secondary!!
really curious how this will feel in 5 minute chunks ripI'm also interviewing October 30th! I'm doing practice MMI's that I have found online. I know a current student that told me there will be more focus on "why medicine" and "why UCD" instead of their more typical standardized actors and scenario questions.
also did they have any other helpful tidbits? Going in less blind would feel great ahaha
Sorry if I am being annoying but can you please send me the doc as well? I'd appreciate it so much! Thank you!I just PM you the doc I'm using. I can't say how helpful medschoolcoach really is in the end since I've only just signed up for my first session early next week. I will share you my thoughts afterwards if you want!
Thanks for the heads up, this is helpful! I've also attended a webinar with UCLA and the admissions coordinator heavily suggests that you find something innocuous as a theme to answer those types of questions like 'why medicine' or 'tell me about yourself'.
For example: I can answer the tell me about yourself question by talking about my love for basketball. The reason why I love basketball was because I grew up in an underserved area. Basketball introduced me to a lot of concepts of getting along with people different than I. I learned a lot about teamwork which is why I value medicine because it's a team oriented practice, etc etc etc.
Just figured I share and hope this is helpful
FutureERDoc9819
Full Member
really curious how this will feel in 5 minute chunks rip
also did they have any other helpful tidbits? Going in less blind would feel great ahaha
Here's some more info I got from UCD about the interview. Hope this helps!
Interview Format:
- Real-life situations, short, open-ended
- Stations (diverse raters)
- 7 scenario or situational prompts
- 2 traditional interview questions
- 1 “Meet the Dean”
- 2 Rests Stations
- Each Station
- 2 minutes to read the scenario (you may strategize and write notes)
- 5 minutes to interact with the rater (cameras on)
- 3 minutes to rest before the next station
- Stations starts every 10 minutes
Obviously I can’t reveal any specifics about the interview, but I interviewed yesterday. I was super nervous beforehand because I had no idea what to expect. However, like the other person said above the interview was very fair and all the questions felt like they were just trying to get to know me better. As much as you possibly can, take a deep breath, relax, and be thoughtful about your answers. Good luck!
I just had my interview this morning. To mirror the sentiments of the poster above me, the entire process felt really fair. There could be some adjustments or guidelines that the program can advise the raters to avoid potential technical difficulties with virtual interview format, but entire day was fair and mostly smooth sailing. Aside from maybe wanting more time per station, I thought the day was pretty fun. There are plenty of opportunities for interviewees to highlight who they are, what they are about, what they want to achieve, and how they can fit into the program.
Well, good luck to everyone, to those that has received IIs and those that are still waiting.
Well, good luck to everyone, to those that has received IIs and those that are still waiting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ellicose
Full Member
anybody got an interview this week?
I got a II here on Sunday, 10/25, complete 08/29, SoCal resident, some ties to NorCal.
benignradical
Full Member
Complete 8/1, LM low 70s and CA/ORM, nothing from Davis. Should I be worried at this point?
Nope! They only started interviewing this monthComplete 8/1, LM low 70s and CA/ORM, nothing from Davis. Should I be worried at this point?
lakers2020champs
Full Member
pls
not sure what specifically this is referring to, but same
Not as worried as me sitting here without even a secondaryComplete 8/1, LM low 70s and CA/ORM, nothing from Davis. Should I be worried at this point?
I'm with you friend. No secodnary gang rise up. At least we have until January to lose hope all together.Not as worried as me sitting here without even a secondary![]()
also still waiting for a secondary :/
I'm with you friend. No secodnary gang rise up. At least we have until January to lose hope all together.
Same but my hope has mostly dwindled
also still waiting for a secondary :/
BeeBopBoop
Full Member
Goodness.. y'all are STACKED! RIP for those of us with much more average apps 😀Extremely similar stats and NorCal ties, complete mid-July, and radio silence since. Hang in there - we'll find out something soon, hopefully.
ii received today! Complete 09/01. 519 MCAT, 3.6 gpa, UCD alumni and lived in Norcal all my life
Super stoked! There were only two time slots to choose from, both in January
Super stoked! There were only two time slots to choose from, both in January
For us who haven’t received a secondary...do you think it’s worth messaging the adcoms about it or with a letter of interest?
For us who haven’t received a secondary...do you think it’s worth messaging the adcoms about it or with a letter of interest?
UC Davis does not accept letters of interest or letters of intent. You can contact admissions, but they'll probably just say something along the lines of "We are sending secondaries until January."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those prepping for MMI, a good book I recommend is "Multiple Mini Interviews: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty" that you can find on Amazon. I found during my interview trail that many schools have used similar scenarios in this book. Perhaps I wouldn't be surprised if UCD uses at least 2 of them as well. 🙂
Did anyone write thank you notes? If so, who did you address it to?
I wrote a thank you letter addressing it to the admissions team.
D
deleted907416
Still waiting for a secondary sadlyanyone still waiting for secondaries here? Or should I call it silent rejection if I haven't heard **** yet.
+ MEStill waiting for a secondary sadly
+1Still waiting for a secondary sadly
is there still a chance to get an II? Or should I lose all hope?
myaripremed
Full Member
I ask myself the same
premed3life
Full Member
Has anyone received an II recently? 🙁 losing hope
Same 🙁Has anyone received an II recently? 🙁 losing hope
is there still a chance to get an II? Or should I lose all hope?
They will send out II until end of Feb. even early March.
It's a bit too early to worry about. And no, they don't do silent Rs. They will let you know.
I'm in the same boat. According to the "Med School Post-II A Tracker, out of 2564 OOS applicants 7 were offered interviews last year....Wish I woulda known that earlierI submitted here as an OOS was that a bust? Is Davis all in state
Do you think it’s worth for me to ask for a secondary lol. It’s been dead quiet from here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think it’s worth for me to ask for a secondary lol. It’s been dead quiet from here.
I'm not sure if it is worth it, but it won't hurt.
I actually emailed UCSF admissions last night letting them know that I'm still interested in the program. Lo and behold, they sent me a secondary today at 5pm. So, I don't think it will hurt if you just ask them politely that you're still interested in the program and to know if you're still being considered.
Are they really considering or they just sending it for the $$ grabs... My friend got an R after submitting his secondary and he got his 2ndary app super late like around late Oct.I'm not sure if it is worth it, but it won't hurt.
I actually emailed UCSF admissions last night letting them know that I'm still interested in the program. Lo and behold, they sent me a secondary today at 5pm. So, I don't think it will hurt if you just ask them politely that you're still interested in the program and to know if you're still being considered.
I'm not sure if it is worth it, but it won't hurt.
I actually emailed UCSF admissions last night letting them know that I'm still interested in the program. Lo and behold, they sent me a secondary today at 5pm. So, I don't think it will hurt if you just ask them politely that you're still interested in the program and to know if you're still being considered.
That's awesome! May I ask how you structured your email?
Nontraddddds
Full Member
Did you mean UCD? Not sure if you meant to post this in the UCSF thread.I'm not sure if it is worth it, but it won't hurt.
I actually emailed UCSF admissions last night letting them know that I'm still interested in the program. Lo and behold, they sent me a secondary today at 5pm. So, I don't think it will hurt if you just ask them politely that you're still interested in the program and to know if you're still being considered.
I think he’s giving an example, could be wrong.Did you mean UCD? Not sure if you meant to post this in the UCSF thread.