2020-2021 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Or I guess I should have said, when does UCI stop accepting secondaries all together?
In the email they said that they will be reviewing secondaries for interview invites through the end of February thats why im a bit skeptical of if I should even submit it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In the email they said that they will be reviewing secondaries for interview invites through the end of February thats why im a bit skeptical of if I should even submit it
Do you have the extra money? Are you already accepted to another school? Personally, I wouldn't if I am already in somewhere, even if I did have the extra money, which I don't lol

Has anyone who has been accepted yet heard anything about next steps? So far I have only received my background check, but nothing else. Also, does anyone know if there has been a group made for accepted students yet or any word about a second look day? Thanks in advance!
I emailed and asked. They said make sure your FAFSA is in and then you can start sending in transcripts as well, if you're sure this is where you're going (so you don't have to do it twice). You can also do the institutional financial aid form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the MSTP accepts updates? I assume that the updates on the portal only go to the MD Committee?

Reactions: 1 users
When are secondaries due by?
I think its def worth doing if you think you are a good fit for the school. Just get your secondary in ASAP. They are interviewing into march as well.

Has UCI sent out pre-ii R's yet?
This would be a surprise to me. I applied two cycles ago (2017-2018) and they rejected me pre-II in September (complete in July). This cycle I was complete 9/20 and have heard nothing so far.

Edit: Surprising that they haven't sent pre-IIs yet

They have sent pre-II R's. If you search "pre-II R" in the thread history looks like the only round was in Nov

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed and asked. They said make sure your FAFSA is in and then you can start sending in transcripts as well, if you're sure this is where you're going (so you don't have to do it twice). You can also do the institutional financial aid form.
Thank you for your response! Have you heard anything else about financial aid aside form submitting your FAFSA?

Thank you for your response! Have you heard anything else about financial aid aside form submitting your FAFSA?
There’s an institutional form as well. If you log in to the MyAid on the financial aid website, you can see what you need to complete. They also send an email when they pull your fafsa. It has all the details in it.

Does anyone how much weight UCI places on VITA? I am a little nervous to take my VITA tomorrow

Does anyone how much weight UCI places on VITA? I am a little nervous to take my VITA tomorrow
I did not feel super confident about mine and I got accepted. This doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I did not feel super confident about mine and I got accepted. This doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps.
Congrats on the acceptance first of all!

It definitely helps! I hate having to talk to my screen because it's not a natural conversation so that's what's making me nervous :)

Really appreciate the insight!

Would you mind telling me what your interview experience was like with the faculty and student? you can pm me if you want to

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R, complete 9/20 IS

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
II today @ 9:48 PST. IS, ORM, Complete Sept. 20, no updates added

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 16 users
quick question for those that submitted a letter of intent update - how did you do this in 500 characters? i guess just keeping it very straightforward in a couple of sentences?

Pre-II R on a Friday night. Complete 8/22. IS. I submitted multiple updates. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
dates available?
March 8th and a date in mid april (I was so fast to click the march date, that I don't remember the exact April date. Now that I have clicked the 8th, I can't view the other date- I'm so sorry:( )

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-II R. Complete 9/2. Good luck to everyone still in the run!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if we need to submit the identity form from UCI financial aid before our interview?

I was about to give up hope on this school and I received a secondary invite this morning. Is there even a point of completing it now or is it just a money grab?
Hey y'all just wanted to provide an update. I submitted the secondary. I'm not expecting for much because it's so late in the cycle, but I'm honored to even be considered. I'll keep yall updated!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Received an email earlier today saying I was placed on the alternate list. Interviewed 1/25-26 for the MSTP. Hopefully there is more movement this year than in those previous 🤞

• Care
Ok so what if we dodged the pre-II R last week but didn’t get an II either ? only a matter of time until another R wave? do we think II’s might still be sent out?

• Hmm
Hello everyone,

In the letter of rec portion of the portal, my "Received by Admissions Office" date is very recent, but I have not updated my AMCAS application.
Does anyone have an answer or hypothesis about this?

I am trying to read non-existent tea leaves. :)

Hello everyone,

In the letter of rec portion of the portal, my "Received by Admissions Office" date is very recent, but I have not updated my AMCAS application.

I just checked mine, and it also shows a recent date...

Hello everyone,

LOL I just checked and saw that too. FINGERS CROSSED!

Mine does too but I don't think it means anything. Mine says 02/22/2021

Mine does too but I don't think it means anything. Mine says 02/22/2021
It probably doesn't mean anything. But UCSD said that they would review my app again in mid-Feb after placing me on an interview hold. The received date of my LOR was updated to 2/19. So maybe it does mean that they are looking at our apps again.

so did any of you check what the date was before this? was there even a date listed before?

Just checked and mine said 2/22. Previously (1 week ago) it said 12/30/2020. If I had to guess, it changed for everyone or many people and doesn’t mean much. They interview until April so they are still reviewing apps and handing IIs but there are too many of us on sdn that had our LOR date change to 2/22 to all get IIs. I wouldn’t look into this.

Yeah, it probably is a global thing they are doing for both of these schools.

Unfortunately, I don't think it means much. As with the UCSD SOM example above, I got rejected 02/19 even though the letter of rec date on the portal says 02/22. Pretty bummed, but surviving. :(

• Care
I don't believe that it means much (but i could be wrong) because I interviewed here this week and even my letter of rec date on the portal says 2/22/2021.

• Haha
Surprisingly got an II from here today. Complete 3rd week of September. The only date I saw was in April, but it does looks like there are still some going out (am gonna turn it down so hopefully someone else gets it instead).

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 16 users
If I haven't even gotten a VITA invite thus far is it safe to say it's too late to get an interview invite?

If I haven't even gotten a VITA invite thus far is it safe to say it's too late to get an interview invite?
VITA is only requested after being invited for an interview. So if you get an interview invite, the VITA invite will follow.

VITA is only requested after being invited for an interview. So if you get an interview invite, the VITA invite will follow.
Oh okay, thanks! I've heard of some other schools sending the VITA out as a precursor to the actual interview, so I wasn't sure if Irvine did the same

Does anyone know if they accept update letters and if it is worth it to send one pre-interview?