You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Abcdefghijklmno1
Full Member
Any OOS applicants who applied early (verified before July 10) and still have not received a secondary invite? I am above their MCAT/GPA cutoffs and went to undergrad at UNC, so I thought I would get an invite for sure.
Same. OOS with decently high stats. Their website says they send secondaries to every applicant though, I guess we just have to wait.
D
deleted1061630
Same. OOS with decently high stats. Their website says they send secondaries to every applicant though, I guess we just have to wait.
Good to know I'm not the only one. Most of my pre-med friends from undergrad at UNC have already gotten their secondary invitations, so I'm starting to worry.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there!
Quick question. I have pre-requisites that I am taking this fall and spring ( 1stats course, 1 humanities , 1 social science) I was wondering if I should include the future courses on my AMCAS application even though I am unsure of exact course name and code. I know that the pre-reqs just have to be completed prior to matriculation but I didn't know if not having them on my AMCAS app would affect my chances of secondary/interviews.
Quick question. I have pre-requisites that I am taking this fall and spring ( 1stats course, 1 humanities , 1 social science) I was wondering if I should include the future courses on my AMCAS application even though I am unsure of exact course name and code. I know that the pre-reqs just have to be completed prior to matriculation but I didn't know if not having them on my AMCAS app would affect my chances of secondary/interviews.
For those with FAP, do we submit and wait until they reach out to us about payment? I'm confused on how this works considering they said not everyone with FAP recieves a waiver for secondaries.
For those with FAP, do we submit and wait until they reach out to us about payment? I'm confused on how this works considering they said not everyone with FAP recieves a waiver for secondaries.
Yes. When you fill out the secondary, tick the box for fee waiver consideration. Then just submit. You don’t have to do anything else and they will send you an email if you get denied. I was approved and didn’t receive an email or anything. I checked the portal and saw that my status went from “awaiting payment” to fee waived.
Okay that's great! if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats/oos or is? & how long did it take before you saw the change in your portal?Yes. When you fill out the secondary, tick the box for fee waiver consideration. Then just submit. You don’t have to do anything else and they will send you an email if you get denied. I was approved and didn’t receive an email or anything. I checked the portal and saw that my status went from “awaiting payment” to fee waived.
Okay that's great! if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats/oos or is? & how long did it take before you saw the change in your portal?
It took 2 business days. I read on an older thread that they have 1 person processing all of the requests, so I think the longer you wait to submit the longer it might take to hear a decision.
And this is just pure speculation, but I feel like they would be more willing to waive fees for IS students, maybe because there’s less of us but who knows.
Last edited:
For the advanced bio courses, could I list physiology twice? It was split up into two courses over the course of a year at my school.
For the advanced bio courses, could I list physiology twice? It was split up into two courses over the course of a year at my school.
I'd say yes. It's on your transcript twice!
Any OOS applicants who applied early (verified before July 10) and still have not received a secondary invite? I am above their MCAT/GPA cutoffs and went to undergrad at UNC, so I thought I would get an invite for sure.
Just an FYI but I was in the same boat until I checked my "spam" folder this past Monday - my supplemental emails from UNC were in there, dated 7/22. I have received 20+ secondaries and for some reason it is the only one that was flagged as spam.
Mine got sent to the "Promotions" tab in Gmail. I still have no idea how that happened, but I missed it for a day or two after I received the app.Just an FYI but I was in the same boat until I checked my "spam" folder this past Monday - my supplemental emails from UNC were in there, dated 7/22. I have received 20+ secondaries and for some reason it is the only one that was flagged as spam.
Abcdefghijklmno1
Full Member
Still haven’t received secondary and I’ve searched every corner of my email. I emailed them a couple days ago but haven’t received a response. Welp
OOS, LM 78, still haven't received a secondary. I've checked every folder in my email as well. I'm not sure if I should email them, because it says on their website that everyone gets a secondary. Anyone have the admissions email? I can't find it on their website.Still haven’t received secondary and I’ve searched every corner of my email. I emailed them a couple days ago but haven’t received a response. Welp
Where on their website does it say that everyone gets a secondary? I'm OOS a bit below their mcat requirement so I was surprised to get one. Didn't think to check if they had a cutoff before applying haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Admissions Checklist | Office of Admissions
"All applicants will receive a supplemental application"
lol idk how I missed that. Oh well I guess I wasted a few hours on that app but haven't paid yet because I was waiting for them to approve my fee waiverAdmissions Checklist | Office of Admissions
www.med.unc.edu
"All applicants will receive a supplemental application"
D
deleted1054798
Those who submitted, the only email u got was the payment one right?
noDoes the secondary ask you to list your prerequisite courses?
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
Anyone's "awaiting decision" no longer appearing on the portal? Does this mean a decision has been made?
D
deleted1038508
Yeah mine disappeared like yesterdayAnyone's "awaiting decision" no longer appearing on the portal? Does this mean a decision has been made?
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
Fingers crossed, I couldn't find any info about it on previous years' threadsYeah mine disappeared like yesterday
D
deleted1038508
Oof, good luck 🙂 I'm nervousFingers crossed, I couldn't find any info about it on previous years' threads
Mine disappeared too. I checked yesterday and it was gone.
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
.
Last edited:
Mine is gone too. Maybe the words "awaiting decison" sounded too final compared to what other schools call "under review" and they didn't want to give any kind of indication to anyone before extending IIs.Anyone's "awaiting decision" no longer appearing on the portal? Does this mean a decision has been made?
I think mine disappeared too. Does it just say "application submitted" for you now?Oof, good luck 🙂 I'm nervous
I think mine disappeared too. Does it just say "application submitted" for you now?
Mine now just has the date I submitted my secondary (yesterday lol), so I doubt it is indicative of anything.
D
deleted1038508
Yes it just says "Application Submitted" with the dateI think mine disappeared too. Does it just say "application submitted" for you now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1053887
Do ya'll know if the 750 word essay for COVID-19 is mandatory or optional? Thanks!
debbydowner
New Member
Is anyone else still waiting to receive a secondary? I have checked everywhere in my email. My AMCAS application was verified early May, and I'm IS. I emailed admissions and haven't heard back...
Abcdefghijklmno1
Full Member
Is anyone else still waiting to receive a secondary? I have checked everywhere in my email. My AMCAS application was verified early May, and I'm IS. I emailed admissions and haven't heard back...
I’m in the same situation except OOS. I emailed a week ago and haven’t heard anything. Stats are above the median. Though they say everyone gets a secondary, i was starting to wonder if I was screened out bc I only have 150 non clinical volunteer hours.
2021MDapplicant77
Full Member
The COVID essay is not optional. It's more broad than most schools' optional ones however.Do ya'll know if the 750 word essay for COVID-19 is mandatory or optional? Thanks!
D
deleted1053887
Haha yeah, thanks! I just submitted it last night, but it was certainly tough to write a 750 word limit essay when all the other COVID essays were like 200 words or less.The COVID essay is not optional. It's more broad than most schools' optional ones however.
D
deleted1038508
I just made mine 440 words or so. I highly doubt they will care as long as your essay is good.Haha yeah, thanks! I just submitted it last night, but it was certainly tough to write a 750 word limit essay when all the other COVID essays were like 200 words or less.
futuredoc4634
Full Member
From the website: "Mathematics – One statistics course is required. Biostatistics is an acceptable course to fulfill the requirement". So it seems a regular stats class and/or biostats would work!For the statistics requirement, does it have to be a biostatistics course or can it be any statistics course?
.
Last edited:
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
Do you guys think it's too late to add UNC to my school list at this point? And would it be worth it for me? I went to college in NC, 514/3.9
probably not, at the same time though know that you’re sending the app in a month later than most people so keep that in mind
good luck!
D
deleted962722
Is anyone else still waiting to receive a secondary? I have checked everywhere in my email. My AMCAS application was verified early May, and I'm IS. I emailed admissions and haven't heard back...
I'm still waiting too! OOS but was also verified before July 10
D
deleted1038508
A month later than most people? That's not true. This applicant still has time. Before september, applicants are still considered "early".probably not, at the same time though know that you’re sending the app in a month later than most people so keep that in mind
good luck!
A month later than most people? That's not true. This applicant still has time. Before september, applicants are still considered "early".
Yep and with AMCAS verification delays and MCAT pushes, I'd say they're in an even better spot than in most other years (relatively of course).
LetMeINNNNNN
Full Member
A month later than most people? That's not true. This applicant still has time. Before september, applicants are still considered "early".
I don’t know about that, I mean even with this pandemic they still have more qualified seats than they have spaces
its august now sending a primary to them is a little on the later side
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1038508
Sending a primary right now, getting secondary almost immediately, and submitting it in mid-August is NOT late. This is literally 2 weeks past July, in an application cycle that is delayed by 2 weeks. So it is effectively like submitting near the end of July. Or perhaps even earlier, given that many schools are still waiting before releasing interviews (*COUGH*: UNC!!!). I applied last cycle and one of my MSTP apps at WashU was deferred in DECEMBER and the MD committee reviewed it and gave me an II for January. The applicant we are talking about not only has the perfect stats for UNC, but is also In-state! Especially for this applicant, applying now is not "a little on the later side." I rest my case lol. Anyone who disagrees can downvote me.I don’t know about that, I mean even with this pandemic they still have more qualified seats than they have spaces
its august now sending a primary to them is a little on the later side
Last edited by a moderator:
septembersveryown__
New Member
how have y'all been able to verify if your application is complete? all i can see on the unc portal is "application submitted" with the date of submission. does that mean that everything is all set? thanks!
After submitting, I only received an e-mail going over the next steps for the application process. So, I assume that’s the “complete” e-mail?how have y'all been able to verify if your application is complete? all i can see on the unc portal is "application submitted" with the date of submission. does that mean that everything is all set? thanks!
septembersveryown__
New Member
ok same, that makes sense!After submitting, I only received an e-mail going over the next steps for the application process. So, I assume that’s the “complete” e-mail?
What do you mean by list physiology twice? Was there a place on UNC's secondary this year to input prereqs?For the advanced bio courses, could I list physiology twice? It was split up into two courses over the course of a year at my school.