2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is UNC waiting to start releasing IIs? Do I remember reading something about how UNC wants to give everyone a fair shot given that the MCAT has been delayed for many? Or am I imagining things?

Fingers crossed, has anyone heard anything back in terms of admissions decisions such as Rs or holds (if they do holds)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Missed the deadline like an idiot...currently about 10 days out. Stats are around their cut off for OOS students. Not locked out of the portal (yet). Spend my time and money completing it in hopes of getting a bit of pity? Or should I just move on? Feel pretty dumb to have missed the big bold read letters that said "deadline"
 
Missed the deadline like an idiot...currently about 10 days out. Stats are around their cut off for OOS students. Not locked out of the portal (yet). Spend my time and money completing it in hopes of getting a bit of pity? Or should I just move on? Feel pretty dumb to have missed the big bold read letters that said "deadline"

I don't think UNC will extend your deadline given what they said in the email. But, at the same time, what is the worse that could happen? They will tell you, "no". If you email and ask, there is small chance they will give you an extension.
 
Secondary submitted today 8/24. On the secondary application, it says that the secondary was started on 8/6 (when my primary was verified), but I didn't receive an email to the secondary until 8/12.

Regardless, it's within the three week deadline someone mentioned earlier in the thread, but did anyone else have something similar happen on their secondary?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I cri fam. No II. WARS 83, LM 75.4. IS, ORM. Submitted August 11th. Praying they just haven't had a chance to review my app. Terrified I put something in there that caused a red flag. Lol the neuroticism is rearing its ugly head.
I feel you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those with II, all we know is "one individual interview and another in a group setting". Any guesses as to what "group setting" means? Some kind of group activity, or is that code for MMI? Maybe they'll give us info closer to the date, but I have no idea how to prepare for that one except look over common interview questions and such.
 
For those with II, all we know is "one individual interview and another in a group setting". Any guesses as to what "group setting" means? Some kind of group activity, or is that code for MMI? Maybe they'll give us info closer to the date, but I have no idea how to prepare for that one except look over common interview questions and such.
I'm hoping that they'll give more info. I think in the past, they have done more teamwork-oriented stuff, but I'm not sure how well that would transfer to a virtual setting. I guess we will just have to see.
 
I am looking at UNC’s LOR requirements and am I bit puzzled. I graduated this May and started working as a medical assistant in July.

On the website, UNC has the following under their LOR requirements:
For applicants who have completed, or are currently completing, an advanced degree program or significant post-grad work experience:
For applicants who have advanced degrees or significant post-grad work (one year or more), two letters of recommendation are required from mentors who have interacted with you in an academic setting and know you well.You should have at least one letter from your post-grad education and/or major work experience.”

I’ve only been working for 2 months, but i will have a year experience by the time I enter medical school next year. Does this mean this bullet point does not apply to me? Does this point mean that the applicant has to have one year or more work experience when applying?

I already submitted two LORs from my professors.

Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited:
I am looking at UNC’s LOR requirements and am I bit puzzled. I graduated this May and started working as a medical assistant in July.

On the website, UNC has the following under their LOR requirements:
For applicants who have completed, or are currently completing, an advanced degree program or significant post-grad work experience:
For applicants who have advanced degrees or significant post-grad work (one year or more), two letters of recommendation are required from mentors who have interacted with you in an academic setting and know you well.You should have at least one letter from your post-grad education and/or major work experience.”

I’ve only been working for 2 months, but i will have a year experience by the time I enter medical school next year. Does this mean this bullet point does not apply to me? Does this point mean that the applicant has to have one year or more work experience when applying?

I already submitted two LORs from my professors.

Thank you in advance!
I recently started my gap year job (also about 2 months), didn't submit a LOR from work, and got an II. So I think it doesn't apply!
 
I am looking at UNC’s LOR requirements and am I bit puzzled. I graduated this May and started working as a medical assistant in July.

On the website, UNC has the following under their LOR requirements:
For applicants who have completed, or are currently completing, an advanced degree program or significant post-grad work experience:
For applicants who have advanced degrees or significant post-grad work (one year or more), two letters of recommendation are required from mentors who have interacted with you in an academic setting and know you well.You should have at least one letter from your post-grad education and/or major work experience.”

I’ve only been working for 2 months, but i will have a year experience by the time I enter medical school next year. Does this mean this bullet point does not apply to me? Does this point mean that the applicant has to have one year or more work experience when applying?

I already submitted two LORs from my professors.

Thank you in advance!
I would think since you've only been working two months, it wouldn't necessarily count as "significant post-grad work experience." I think they mean like if you've been a teacher or a nurse for 5 years- something like that.
 
Has anyone with an II for 9/21 gotten more information about it yet?

I just received an email with more info. Looks like the first and second interviews are back to back for both the am and pm sessions. Looking forward to meeting some of you morning of 9/21!
 
I just received an email with more info. Looks like the first and second interviews are back to back for both the am and pm sessions. Looking forward to meeting some of you morning of 9/21!
I am also 9/21 and still haven't gotten any info- should I email admissions?
 
Hi! My interview is Monday, and I was wondering about how to convey updates to my app. Will our individual interviewers ask about updates from every applicant, or should we be prepared to hand something in or what's the deal?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! My interview is Monday, and I was wondering about how to convey updates to my app. Will our individual interviewers ask about updates from every applicant, or should we be prepared to hand something in or what's the deal?
Hi there! My experience interviewing last year is that these things came up naturally during the conversation, no need for a formal write-up. If it doesn't come up they will likely ask you at the end if there is anything else you didn't cover and you could mention updates then!