2020-2021 UNC - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is UNC waiting to start releasing IIs? Do I remember reading something about how UNC wants to give everyone a fair shot given that the MCAT has been delayed for many? Or am I imagining things?

Fingers crossed, has anyone heard anything back in terms of admissions decisions such as Rs or holds (if they do holds)

Members don't see this ad.

Fingers crossed, has anyone heard anything back in terms of admissions decisions such as Rs or holds (if they do holds)
Haven't heard of any decisions of any type yet! I went to UNC for undergrad and am friends with a lot of other ppl applying so I'll let ya'll know if I hear anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Missed the deadline like an idiot...currently about 10 days out. Stats are around their cut off for OOS students. Not locked out of the portal (yet). Spend my time and money completing it in hopes of getting a bit of pity? Or should I just move on? Feel pretty dumb to have missed the big bold read letters that said "deadline"

Reactions: 1 user
Missed the deadline like an idiot...currently about 10 days out. Stats are around their cut off for OOS students. Not locked out of the portal (yet). Spend my time and money completing it in hopes of getting a bit of pity? Or should I just move on? Feel pretty dumb to have missed the big bold read letters that said "deadline"

I don't think UNC will extend your deadline given what they said in the email. But, at the same time, what is the worse that could happen? They will tell you, "no". If you email and ask, there is small chance they will give you an extension.

Secondary submitted today 8/24. On the secondary application, it says that the secondary was started on 8/6 (when my primary was verified), but I didn't receive an email to the secondary until 8/12.

Regardless, it's within the three week deadline someone mentioned earlier in the thread, but did anyone else have something similar happen on their secondary?

II received just now! Complete 7/24, IS, ORM with LM 69!!!! Thought my sGPA would be the death of me, but here we are.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I'm OOS and dying for an II here but doubt i'll get it :/

LOL, and I'm an International student in Canada. In the same boat as you waiting for II

How were you notified? Email, portal, or both?
Email (it was in my main Gmail inbox, but somebody else said theirs went into spam). I just checked my portal, and it looks no different from when I first submitted my secondary, which is odd.

I cri fam. No II. WARS 83, LM 75.4. IS, ORM. Submitted August 11th. Praying they just haven't had a chance to review my app. Terrified I put something in there that caused a red flag. Lol the neuroticism is rearing its ugly head.
I feel you.

II today. 3.9 504 IS

Have any of you guys done VITA before and/or have any tips/recommendations?

Have any of you guys done VITA before and/or have any tips/recommendations?
I did the VITA yesterday. It was easy. No need to stress. Essentially a verbal Casper, and it's not nearly as awkward as people make it out to seem.

So is the VITA just an alternative to in-person interviews this year?
UNC is conducting virtual interviews as well as using VITA. You get the invitation to do both at the same time. Most schools are doing it like this, I believe, but they can choose to use it however they want.

• Love
For those with II, all we know is "one individual interview and another in a group setting". Any guesses as to what "group setting" means? Some kind of group activity, or is that code for MMI? Maybe they'll give us info closer to the date, but I have no idea how to prepare for that one except look over common interview questions and such.

For those with II, all we know is "one individual interview and another in a group setting". Any guesses as to what "group setting" means? Some kind of group activity, or is that code for MMI? Maybe they'll give us info closer to the date, but I have no idea how to prepare for that one except look over common interview questions and such.
I'm hoping that they'll give more info. I think in the past, they have done more teamwork-oriented stuff, but I'm not sure how well that would transfer to a virtual setting. I guess we will just have to see.

I am looking at UNC’s LOR requirements and am I bit puzzled. I graduated this May and started working as a medical assistant in July.

On the website, UNC has the following under their LOR requirements:
For applicants who have completed, or are currently completing, an advanced degree program or significant post-grad work experience:
For applicants who have advanced degrees or significant post-grad work (one year or more), two letters of recommendation are required from mentors who have interacted with you in an academic setting and know you well.You should have at least one letter from your post-grad education and/or major work experience.”

I’ve only been working for 2 months, but i will have a year experience by the time I enter medical school next year. Does this mean this bullet point does not apply to me? Does this point mean that the applicant has to have one year or more work experience when applying?

I already submitted two LORs from my professors.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I am looking at UNC’s LOR requirements and am I bit puzzled. I graduated this May and started working as a medical assistant in July.

For applicants who have completed, or are currently completing, an advanced degree program or significant post-grad work experience:
For applicants who have advanced degrees or significant post-grad work (one year or more), two letters of recommendation are required from mentors who have interacted with you in an academic setting and know you well.You should have at least one letter from your post-grad education and/or major work experience.”

I’ve only been working for 2 months, but i will have a year experience by the time I enter medical school next year. Does this mean this bullet point does not apply to me? Does this point mean that the applicant has to have one year or more work experience when applying?

Thank you in advance!
I recently started my gap year job (also about 2 months), didn't submit a LOR from work, and got an II. So I think it doesn't apply!

Thank you in advance!
I would think since you've only been working two months, it wouldn't necessarily count as "significant post-grad work experience." I think they mean like if you've been a teacher or a nurse for 5 years- something like that.

Are the IIs going out in waves, I wonder? I am just stuck in that toxic loop of obsessing over the interview tracker.

Me too, here's to hoping. I have a sibling who's there so I'm really hoping I hear some good news soon

Has anyone with an II for 9/21 gotten more information about it yet?

Has anyone with an II for 9/21 gotten more information about it yet?

I just received an email with more info. Looks like the first and second interviews are back to back for both the am and pm sessions. Looking forward to meeting some of you morning of 9/21!

I just received an email with more info. Looks like the first and second interviews are back to back for both the am and pm sessions. Looking forward to meeting some of you morning of 9/21!
See you there!

I am also 9/21 and still haven't gotten any info- should I email admissions?

Is it true they don’t send acceptances until December typically?

Hi! My interview is Monday, and I was wondering about how to convey updates to my app. Will our individual interviewers ask about updates from every applicant, or should we be prepared to hand something in or what's the deal?

Hi! My interview is Monday, and I was wondering about how to convey updates to my app. Will our individual interviewers ask about updates from every applicant, or should we be prepared to hand something in or what's the deal?
Hi there! My experience interviewing last year is that these things came up naturally during the conversation, no need for a formal write-up. If it doesn't come up they will likely ask you at the end if there is anything else you didn't cover and you could mention updates then!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone interviewing tomorrow able to see their schedule on Attendify? Mine hasn't shown up yet.

Anyone interviewing tomorrow able to see their schedule on Attendify? Mine hasn't shown up yet.
Was just about to ask the same thing - Schedule hasn't showed up for me either and mine is tomorrow at 8!

Was just about to ask the same thing - Schedule hasn't showed up for me either and mine is tomorrow at 8!
Maybe it won't show up until tomorrow. I emailed the admissions office so I'll let you know if they respond!

I talked w admissions and they said the schedules will be added tonight but not to access attendify until tomorrow morning