2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am actually in state and FYI this was my third application cycle, so maybe that played a role?
Would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Ya I applied regular MD (MD/PhD would be too gnarly haha). Ya we were told it was most likely going to be in March, so I was absolutely shocked to get the call! Third times the charm for applying to med school I guess 😅
Lol hey! I’m a third times a charmer too 😂

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we think at this point it’s just a waiting game til March 15? Do we know if the U releases a decent amount of acceptances on March 15?

Reactions: 2 users
I’m sure interview season has concluded but is anyone else pre-II waiting for the formal rejection?

If we don't hear about the final acceptance by March 15th does that mean either waitlist or rejection?

Gotcha. Yeah I interviewed in September so it’s just been such a long wait haha. Hoping for good news!
My friend last year interviewed in September, got waitlisted in March, and got in April 28th..so definitely still hope. I interviewed November and am hoping as well. 😂

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they not send any acceptances on March 15th then?
I don’t think so but there could be exceptions. They have rolling admissions so they send acceptances within a few weeks after interviews to those who score well.

There are some people in March who get accepted that either interviewed in Jan/Feb or people who interviewed earlier and ended up making the cut off with their scoring system (if they were kind of on the edge of the cut off after their interview and what not) :)

Per some friends who are MS1s and MS2s who work in the admissions office:

Only about 25% of the total acceptance offers they make go out BEFORE March. There's still time, don't stress yet!

Reactions: 6 users

Only about 25% of the total acceptance offers they make go out BEFORE March. There's still time, don't stress yet!
Idk what to believe anymore

I mean if there’s already like 60 people in the fb group then this can’t be true..

I’ve heard it’s about 1/3 of acceptances go out before March. And accepted students Facebook groups aren’t a good indicator always since there are usually plenty of current med students in those

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard it’s about 1/3 of acceptances go out before March. And accepted students Facebook groups aren’t a good indicator always since there are usually plenty of current med students in those
The Facebook group is for the incoming class. You can join it after getting an acceptance. There is potential for people who got their acceptances to Utah earlier to join the group but then still hold out for other schools. Then they get into other top 30 programs or programs they think are better fits for them and they turn down their Utah acceptance and go there. It's not a great indicator because as someone noted earlier they got in early decision and just joined it in the last few weeks.

The Facebook group is for the incoming class. You can join it after getting an acceptance. There is potential for people who got their acceptances to Utah earlier to join the group but then still hold out for other schools. Then they get into other top 30 programs or programs they think are better fits for them and they turn down their Utah acceptance and go there. It's not a great indicator because as someone noted earlier they got in early decision and just joined it in the last few weeks.
Lol thank you for mansplaining how accepted student facebooks groups work. There are usually med students and admins in there too. To your point, not everyone who is accepted joins, so maybe it cancels out.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Lol thank you for mansplaining how accepted student facebooks groups work. There are usually med students and admins in there too. To your point, not everyone who is accepted joins, so maybe it cancels out.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk, i was putting together all the information that's been put out by different people through the last couple of weeks. I didn't know how it worked until someone asked a couple of weeks ago. So I'm grateful for the person who "mansplained" it to me. Sorry about that again, really didn't mean to offend you.

I think this used to be the way they did it but I’m not sure anymore. I know the Utah med website used to say they do not do rolling admissions, but now it says they DO rolling admissions.

None of us knows for sure how they are operating their admissions process. I’m just going off my experience last year, Dr. Chan discussing in the opening session of interviews that accepted applicants will receive a call ~a month after, and their rolling admissions process.

if you don’t hear back a few weeks after your interview, it’s probably more likely you will be in the WL or R group that hears back on/ around March 15, BUT you could still certainly be accepted in March. It does happen!

Last edited:
I think this used to be the way they did it but I’m not sure anymore. I know the Utah med website used to say they do not do rolling admissions, but now it says they DO rolling admissions.
Interesting. Yeah I’m definitely going off of hearsay on this, so you are probably right.

I’d guess that they have to accept at least ~170-180 to fill their class of 120. And this year there will probably be more favorable waitlist movement.

The idea that all March decisions are either WL or R is wrong though. I personally know multiple people accepted last year in March.

Interesting. Yeah I’m definitely going off of hearsay on this, so you are probably right.

I’d guess that they have to accept at least ~170-180 to fill their class of 120. And this year there will probably be more favorable waitlist movement.

The idea that all March decisions are either WL or R is wrong though. I personally know multiple people accepted last year in March.
Yes I know people accepted in March as well. I’m just trying to say they wait until around the March 15th date to send post-II rejections or waitlist :) which is mean imo put me out of my misery already haha

Yes I know people accepted in March as well. I’m just trying to say they wait until around the March 15th date to send post-II rejections or waitlist :) which is mean imo put me out of my misery already haha
Haha agreed. And just looking at the stats, the vast majority of interviewees won’t get accepted. We have to be realistic and know that an interview =/= an acceptance for most people.
BUT some will get As, and some will get WL, which could very well result in As.

Reading the comments above regarding how the admission process is probably working makes me more nervous. I've been waiting since mid September so it's most likely an R in March :cryi:

The moral of the story is if you think there will be lots of acceptances in March, and that is how you deal with the wait, then great! If you think it's only rejections and waitlists from now on, and that helps you deal the wait, fantastic. I guess we don't definitively know, so just do whatever makes it easier for you to make it until March 15.

Reactions: 4 users
So my best guess, using MSAR data (which can change from year to year and is prone to some errors) and some estimations of what we know from facebook group #s (again, as we hashed out earlier on this thread, could be especially unreliable) here it goes:

According to This post there were 57 admitted students on Feb 3, which may not be the most reliable as some students don't have facebook or joined way after their acceptance . There was also at least one other acceptance (probably more) later in February. So let's assume 90 acceptances have gone out so far. Again, this is an estimation based off SDN and Facebook data, so take it with a few grains of salt.

So that leaves 35 more offers of admission to go out during the week of March 15. MSAR data indicates that they interview 560 applicants. If we are saying 90 have been accepted, that means 470 of us are still waiting to hear our fate. This means about 7% will be accepted outright on or around March 15 (which falls on a Monday this year).

So if 35 of the 470 receive acceptances, then that leaves 435 of us to fight for the 90 waitlist spots that MSAR says they will be grant - about 21%. I suspect that there may be more waitlist movement, and therefore more waitlist spots granted, but that is pure speculation on my part. Let's just leave it at 21% chance of getting a WL spot. So about a 28% chance of either an A or a WL spot.

Of the ~90 WL spots, 75 are eventually granted acceptance off of the WL (MSAR). According to last year's thread, WL movement happened as soon as early April, into late April, and quite a few into May. Waitlist rejections were sent out in late May.

According to last year's SDN thread the first acceptance went out on March 10 (Tuesday) & continuing on March 11 (Wednesday, and also the day Rudy Gobert shut the world down) nothing on Thursday March 12 (hence, Rudy Gobert shutting the world down the night before). The last acceptance calls appear to have gone out on Friday, March 13.

The majority (if not all) of the Rejections and WL were sent on March 13 as well. Friday the 13th. Go figure.

Tl;dr By my estimations, about 110 of the 470 remaining interviewees will get an A. 35 on or before March 15, and 75 off the WL sometime in the following months. Thats a 23% chance. That is much better odds than we started this process off with :) Best of luck and I hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 11 users
So my best guess, using MSAR data (which can change from year to year and is prone to some errors) and some estimations of what we know from facebook group #s (again, as we hashed out earlier on this thread, could be especially unreliable) here it goes:

According to This post there were 57 admitted students on Feb 3, which may not be the most reliable as some students don't have facebook or joined way after their acceptance . There was also at least one other acceptance (probably more) later in February. So let's assume 90 acceptances have gone out so far. Again, this is an estimation based off SDN and Facebook data, so take it with a few grains of salt.

So that leaves 35 more offers of admission to go out during the week of March 15. MSAR data indicates that they interview 560 applicants. If we are saying 90 have been accepted, that means 470 of us are still waiting to hear our fate. This means about 7% will be accepted outright on or around March 15 (which falls on a Monday this year).

So if 35 of the 470 receive acceptances, then that leaves 435 of us to fight for the 90 waitlist spots that MSAR says they will be grant - about 21%. I suspect that there may be more waitlist movement, and therefore more waitlist spots granted, but that is pure speculation on my part. Let's just leave it at 21% chance of getting a WL spot. So about a 28% chance of either an A or a WL spot.

Of the ~90 WL spots, 75 are eventually granted acceptance off of the WL (MSAR). According to last year's thread, WL movement happened as soon as early April, into late April, and quite a few into May. Waitlist rejections were sent out in late May.

According to last year's SDN thread the first acceptance went out on March 10 (Tuesday) & continuing on March 11 (Wednesday, and also the day Rudy Gobert shut the world down) nothing on Thursday March 12 (hence, Rudy Gobert shutting the world down the night before). The last acceptance calls appear to have gone out on Friday, March 13.

The majority (if not all) of the Rejections and WL were sent on March 13 as well. Friday the 13th. Go figure.

Tl;dr By my estimations, about 110 of the 470 remaining interviewees will get an A. 35 on or before March 15, and 75 off the WL sometime in the following months. Thats a 23% chance. That is much better odds than we started this process off with :) Best of luck and I hope this is helpful!
Wow! Only thing unaccounted for is they said this year there was a 33% increase in applications... idk what that means for interviews and what not but thought it was worth mentioning. But there is definitely still a chance for us! (I hope)

Wow! Only thing unaccounted for is they said this year there was a 33% increase in applications... idk what that means for interviews and what not but thought it was worth mentioning. But there is definitely still a chance for us! (I hope)
Definitely. These are rough, I tried to account for that by potentially more WL spots granted and then more movement. I’m not really sure how that plays out though.

by chance does anyone know if they still interviewed the same number of people despite the increase in applicants?

Definitely. These are rough, I tried to account for that by potentially more WL spots granted and then more movement. I’m not really sure how that plays out though.

by chance does anyone know if they still interviewed the same number of people despite the increase in applicants?
I’m not sure but I think it’d be fairly close to the same number since they say they interview 4x the amount of people as spots available, right?

You’re a such a rockstar for giving all of us a little more hope at this time when many may have lost it by now and are possibly starting to plan to reapply. Thank you for taking the time to make this post :)

Reactions: 4 users

I appreciate this. Gives me more hope that there's still a chance! Thanks for taking the time to put that all together haha

I got a spam call this morning at 7:50 as I was driving to work. You guys can imagine what went through my head when my phone first started ringing... I’m scared for the final decision coming in the next couple of weeks

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
hi! does anyone know when we will hear about fasfa offers? thx

make countdown GIF
T-minus 2 weeks until my R! 🥳🥳🥳

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
T-minus 2 weeks until my R! 🥳🥳🥳

If I wanted to bet on it, my guess is we will get final decisions on the 12th. IDK, it's just a hunch.

If I wanted to bet on it, my guess is we will get final decisions on the 12th. IDK, it's just a hunch.
I think that’s what happened last year too because the 15th was a Sunday. They sent decisions Wed-Fri the week before.

I think that’s what happened last year too because the 15th was a Sunday. They sent decisions Wed-Fri the week before.
Ugh my birthday is on the 15th, the chances are higher for a really crappy birthday this year after being rejected from my top school☹️

Just got the call from Dr. Chan!! SO unexpected... I interviewed mid December, so was right there with you all just waiting for that bummer of an email in the next couple weeks. KEEP BELIEVING!!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Just got the call from Dr. Chan!! SO unexpected... I interviewed mid December, so was right there with you all just waiting for that bummer of an email in the next couple weeks. KEEP BELIEVING!!!
Congrats! No calls today?

@wyhomeing is part of the WICHE applicant pool, so maybe they just haven't gotten to the other pools yet, right?? please??
Soooo, not to further complicate the situation, but I'm actually not part of the WICHE pool (confusing, I know-- WWAMI and WICHE have different criteria). I confirmed with Dr. Chan yesterday that I was admitted as OOS, so I don't think my call yesterday has any bearing on the WICHE cohorts.

• Haha
Soooo, not to further complicate the situation, but I'm actually not part of the WICHE pool (confusing, I know-- WWAMI and WICHE have different criteria). I confirmed with Dr. Chan yesterday that I was admitted as OOS, so I don't think my call yesterday has any bearing on the WICHE cohorts.
I thought they used to take 5 combined from Wyoming/Montana, but now I don't see anything about that on their website? Did I totally make that up in my head or something?

As far as I know, that info is still accurate! My residency situation is just complex, so I don't qualify as a WICHE applicant (even though I do qualify as WWAMI for UW-- don't ask 😂 it's been a bit of a nightmare!)
No matter what the nightmare was, you overcame it and got accepted! So congrats to you on that!