2020-2021 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do people usually put in purgatory comments? Like can I make them aware my top accepted choice rn has a CTE date of 6/1 (ouch) and I've only got till then if they want to pull me off purgatory?
I too would love to know what sort of comments people are putting. I feel like there is no expectation of a comment? And I can't expect anything to really shift one's success in getting off the W-L, but maybe I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea what the WL movement is on a normal year?

Reactions: 1 users
What do people usually put in WL comments? Like can I make them aware my top accepted choice rn has a CTE date of 6/1 (ouch) and I've only got till then if they want to pull me off WL?

I think putting CTE date is a good thing to put in there. Not much room for detailed love letters but thats short and actionable information that is also time critical

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the net partner aid just the need based aid/loans, and if we get a merit scholarship, we get a phone call/other communication? Or is net partner aid all of it?

so did anyone get post-ii Rs? If not, does that mean less chance for the WLers?

If anyone did, it seems to be very few. I looked into threads from the past couple of years, and it seems that some years WashU will dole out both post-II Rs and WLs, while others they will give only WLs. Looks like this year is a case of the latter. And yes, I suspect that this translates into poor WL prospects for those of us on it, unfortunately.
This is quite possible. It may also be that people who receive post-II R's are less inclined to post about it.

Does anyone know when the first day of classes is for 1st-years? It looks like in the past 1st-years have started in September, but it looks like the academic calendar for 2021-2022 hasn't been published yet.

Edit: if anyone was wondering orientation is Sept 7

Last edited:
Is the net partner aid just the need based aid/loans, and if we get a merit scholarship, we get a phone call/other communication? Or is net partner aid all of it?

NetPartner is just for applying for need-based financial aid. Merit aid will show up there for you to view, but only after you get the call or email about merit scholarship. You can't apply for merit - the scholarship committee meets regularly, and all admitted students are considered for merit aid

Does anyone know the address we need to use for sending in transcripts? My undergrad doesn't do electronic transmission, so I need to give them an address. Was planning on asking the admissions office but figured I'd check here first if someone's got the answer already.

are there any current students lurking here who could speak on where students usually match to on their rank list (ie % top 1-3)? Career advising and support at WashU seems fantastic, but I just wanna feel confident about having the option to come home for residency if I want to (assuming I've put in all the work ofc) :')

Anyone know what they are shipping us? I received a shipping notification from FedEx yesterday.

Does anyone know the address we need to use for sending in transcripts? My undergrad doesn't do electronic transmission, so I need to give them an address. Was planning on asking the admissions office but figured I'd check here first if someone's got the answer already.
I'd love to know this, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I need your advice! I was thinking about applying to NJMS (state school) through the Early Decision process but wasn't sure if I should. With my stats, do you think it would be better for me to apply broadly and hope to get into a "Top 20"? Or do you think a Top 20 isn't a legit possibility and should just apply ED? I love NJMS but I wouldn't mind attending a more prestigious school like WASHU. Please help me out! Do you think a top 20 shouldn't be a realistic goal with my stats? I'm ORM.

GPA: 3.82 cGPA, 3.71 sGPA
MCAT: 518 (128,129,130,131)

Freshman: 3.57/3.4
Sophomore: 3.93/3.94
Senior: 3.89/3.89

Clinical Volunteering: 1,200 Hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 2,300 Hours

Shadowing: 240 Hours

Research: 6,300 Hours

3 Posters

*21 Publications (10 First Authors)*

Music Teacher (700+ Hours)

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, I need your advice! I was thinking about applying to NJMS (state school) through the Early Decision process but wasn't sure if I should. With my stats, do you think it would be better for me to apply broadly and hope to get into a "Top 20"? Or do you think a Top 20 isn't a legit possibility and should just apply ED? I love NJMS but I wouldn't mind attending a more prestigious school like WASHU. Please help me out! Do you think a top 20 shouldn't be a realistic goal with my stats? I'm ORM.

3 Posters

Music Teacher (700+ H

Apply broadly, I'm sure your 21 pubs will give you notable attention

Reactions: 2 users

3 Posters

As I mentioned in the Mayo Arizona school thread, this isn't the type of thread for these sorts of posts. You should post over in the What Are My Chances (WAMC) forum if you want honest feedback.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know what they are shipping us? I received a shipping notification from FedEx yesterday.

I think they are sending WUSM t-shirts to accepted students because they asked for our t-shirt sizes when registering to attend second look 👀

3 Posters

This is the SDN we all know and love

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Any current students still hanging around here? (@neurosabre and friends haha)

I would be genuinely interested to hear anyone's opinion on something that they truly dislike or feel could be improved about washu. It really does seem like a great school, but everywhere has their flaws, and with such limited ability to connect with students or learn about the school this year, I feel as though it's harder to pin down and consider these things, so I'd really appreciate the honesty!

@sr4b That's a great question and a really important one to ask. I'm going to try to not do the "our weaknesses are actually strengths" thing, but I will definitely note where things were fixed or addressed along the way and why I think that's important. Also, please keep in mind that a lot of this is a result of both being the first year of a new curriculum and of COVID and that these are just my opinions. So in no particular order:
  1. Module 1 was sort of a joke and wasn't great preparation for Module 2. It was a good reminder of basic biochemistry and genetics and cell and molecular bio, but at times it felt like a waste of time. Module 2 felt a lot harder, so the transition wasn't super smooth. That being said, we gave a lot of feedback about it.
  2. Admin has been a little tone-deaf at times. A great example is when we were starting our anatomy block. We had a mandatory session where they told us about how formative of an experience dissection would be and how meaningful it is, then told us that we wouldn't be dissecting and we'd just be watching prosections. There was some pretty serious pushback on that, and they apologized and addressed our concerns, but it does seem like they can be a little out of touch at times. However, they had a long town hall and tried to explain their reasoning. We did get to start in-person dissection this module, though, which has been good.
    1. Along with this, their communication with us can be shaky at times. There's a lot of uncertainty related to when classes will be in person or what the next few months will look like, and (likely for liability issues and because they're unsure themselves) they haven't been amazing at telling us what will happen. However, they've at least been honest about why they can't commit to anything.
  3. The Community Engagement module is awesome and it's incredible that we're talking about anti-racism, the social and structural determinants of health, and interprofessionalism and community outreach, but it's a bit frustrating that we can't actually be out in the community itself. This is less about WashU, though, and more about COVID.
  4. They can be a little too overboard with feedback. We have end of module surveys that take about 20-30 minutes and are mandatory (and actually contribute to our professionalism competency). It feels a little silly and patronizing to be "graded" on my ability to do a survey to tell them what I did and didn't like.
  5. Imo's isn't pizza and they keep telling me that it is.
That's my big list of complaints. I think you'll run into these issues at most schools, but I can only speak for WashU. They really do seem to be trying to listen to us and take our feedback into account, and I think a lot of these issues will be more ironed out as COVID winds down (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etcetera) and as they get the experience with my class and the new curriculum.

Reactions: 6 users
Do any current students know what WL movement is like this year? Debating whether to stay on or not, especially since I'm going to be re-applying.

Reactions: 5 users
@sr4b That's a great question and a really important one to ask. I'm going to try to not do the "our weaknesses are actually strengths" thing, but I will definitely note where things were fixed or addressed along the way and why I think that's important. Also, please keep in mind that a lot of this is a result of both being the first year of a new curriculum and of COVID and that these are just my opinions. So in no particular order:
  1. Module 1 was sort of a joke and wasn't great preparation for Module 2. It was a good reminder of basic biochemistry and genetics and cell and molecular bio, but at times it felt like a waste of time. Module 2 felt a lot harder, so the transition wasn't super smooth. That being said, we gave a lot of feedback about it.
  2. Admin has been a little tone-deaf at times. A great example is when we were starting our anatomy block. We had a mandatory session where they told us about how formative of an experience dissection would be and how meaningful it is, then told us that we wouldn't be dissecting and we'd just be watching prosections. There was some pretty serious pushback on that, and they apologized and addressed our concerns, but it does seem like they can be a little out of touch at times. However, they had a long town hall and tried to explain their reasoning. We did get to start in-person dissection this module, though, which has been good.
    1. Along with this, their communication with us can be shaky at times. There's a lot of uncertainty related to when classes will be in person or what the next few months will look like, and (likely for liability issues and because they're unsure themselves) they haven't been amazing at telling us what will happen. However, they've at least been honest about why they can't commit to anything.
  3. The Community Engagement module is awesome and it's incredible that we're talking about anti-racism, the social and structural determinants of health, and interprofessionalism and community outreach, but it's a bit frustrating that we can't actually be out in the community itself. This is less about WashU, though, and more about COVID.
  4. They can be a little too overboard with feedback. We have end of module surveys that take about 20-30 minutes and are mandatory (and actually contribute to our professionalism competency). It feels a little silly and patronizing to be "graded" on my ability to do a survey to tell them what I did and didn't like.
  5. Imo's isn't pizza and they keep telling me that it is.
That's my big list of complaints. I think you'll run into these issues at most schools, but I can only speak for WashU. They really do seem to be trying to listen to us and take our feedback into account, and I think a lot of these issues will be more ironed out as COVID winds down (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etcetera) and as they get the experience with my class and the new curriculum.
I appreciate this so much!

Do any current students know what WL movement is like this year? Debating whether to stay on or not, especially since I'm going to be re-applying.

We have no idea. Movement will probably start on the 15th at the earliest as people narrow their lists down to 3, but I wouldn't be shocked if not much happens until April 30/May 1 as Commit to Enroll opens. Even then, no idea how many people will withdraw.

Anyone who got a full or half-tuition merit scholarship -- how much was your award amount? I haven't received my financial aid package yet but just trying to figure out what the exact tuition is this year so I can compare to my other schools and make a final decision. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone who got a full or half-tuition merit scholarship -- how much was your award amount? I haven't received my financial aid package yet but just trying to figure out what the exact tuition is this year so I can compare to my other schools and make a final decision. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!
Tuition is $65k, so full-tuition scholarships are $65k and half-tuition scholarships are $32.5k

In case anyone was wondering, the address to send your transcripts (if electronic isn't an option for your institute) is:

Committee on Admissions
Washington University School of Medicine
660 S. Euclid Ave., CB 8107
St. Louis, MO 63110-1093

Kind of assumed they would notify about merit scholarships before April 15th. Anyone else been waiting for more than a couple of weeks?

Kind of assumed they would notify about merit scholarships before April 15th. Anyone else been waiting for more than a couple of weeks?
At the financial aid meeting last Friday they said that all merit scholarship money had been allocated as of now (things could shift in the future as people give up acceptances).

Hate to be that guy lol, but if anyone who received a scholarship withdraws, could you please let us know on this thread? Would be nice to know if there's hope for more money coming out

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm a part of the WL gang, and that WashU has been my dream school for as long as I can remember. To those of you who got accepted, you should be very grateful proud of yourselves. For everyone else on the WL like me, if this is also your dream school, I hope to see all of you there in the fall. The same goes to anyone currently in the accepted class who knows for a fact that this is where they want to spend their next four years.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that I'm a part of the WL gang, and that WashU has been my dream school for as long as I can remember. To those of you who got accepted, you should be very grateful proud of yourselves. For everyone else on the WL like me, if this is also your dream school, I hope to see all of you there in the fall. The same goes to anyone currently in the accepted class who knows for a fact that this is where they want to spend their next four years.
Oh snap, the thread is live again! Thanks for the kinds words. I'm also on the WL gang with you, and WashU is my dream school. Hoping we both get good news in the coming weeks :)

• Love
Oh snap, the thread is live again! Thanks for the kinds words. I'm also on the WL gang with you, and WashU is my dream school. Hoping we both get good news in the coming weeks :)
Gonna do everything to make sure I get to meet you in the fall my man! You'd better promise the same haha

• Love
Gonna do everything to make sure I get to meet you in the fall my man! You'd better promise the same haha
I’d love to get off the waitlist here—there are so many things to love about WashU. Can you share what types of things we can all do...write update letters, what else? I don’t spend much time on SDN or Premed Reddit so I feel kind of in the dark about this type of strategy. Thank you!

I know it's still early on 4/30, but Adcoms can see PTE results from anyone who has updated their CYMS tool. Anybody receive a call off the WL?

Accepted from the WL this morning! Could not be more excited!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
You held onto your WL spot?! That's awesome! Happy you're still here with us. What about your job commitment?
Thank you!! yeah I decided I was being stupid and kicking an opportunity away. My plan is to defer if I get in, but am still re-applying anyways. I committed to the job- could always use extra $$$ lol.

Received a the call about merit aid yesterday! It looks like some money is was freed up after the April 30 deadline.

@ accepted students: do you guys have a groupme and if so, have people left the groupme around April 30?

@ accepted students: do you guys have a groupme and if so, have people left the groupme around April 30?
There is a GroupMe. It is currently at 97 students, and that is after a decent amount of people left over the past week. I’m sure some people have forgotten to leave the GroupMe after withdrawing but also probably some accepted students never joined it. I wouldn’t give up just yet! Best of luck to everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Still in shock, but I got the A call off the waitlist from Dean Ratts late tonight!! I am so excited and can't wait to see you all at WashU this fall!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted students, can we get an update on how many people are in the GroupMe? Anyone waiting to see if they got in somewhere else? No need to say anything if you all don’t want to, but I’d personally love to know because this has always been my dream school

Received a the call about merit aid yesterday! It looks like some money is was freed up after the April 30 deadline.
Same! Got a voicemail today saying there has been some movement and they can offer me some merit aid now! So stoked!