2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally agree, and always allowed for the possibility of a troll.

The reason it has a thread of plausibility, however, is because if only some WL people are invited to a Zoom meeting, and if they are told they are at the very top of the list and are highly likely to be accepted, then it wouldn't be cruel, and would, in fact, serve to separate them from the unwashed masses on the unranked WL.

Yes, it would disingenuous and out of character for an admissions team that is as transparent and helpful as @CWRU.Sman's team has always been, but it wouldn't be the first time an admissions office said one thing and did another.
Yeah I think that unless there was a third, undisclosed and unknown private zoom link, theres no way there could've been a WL person at those meetings. They literally just announced that everyone in the room was accepted, no individual disclosures.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I think that unless there was a third, undisclosed and unknown private zoom link, theres no way there could've been a WL person at those meetings. They literally just announced that everyone in the room was accepted, no individual disclosures.
I'm sure. It always would have been a separate meeting just for the chosen few on the "priority" WL. It always seemed a little sus, since it was so rarely reported. But, as with @userxpy, the reports persist, so it's nice to hear it refuted directly by the adcom on the call.

Last edited:
How long are the interviews supposed to be? I haven't been able to find that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long are the interviews supposed to be? I haven't been able to find that information.
My faculty interview was just under an hour and my student was about 20-25 minutes if I remember correctly

Reactions: 1 users
What? Lol I'm not sure why my friend would lie to me about being WL. Sounded like participant list was hidden and it was just a live update. On previous year thread too.

Zoom links for accepted students only. Admin staff said that they try and keep us confused about the zoom links to make it more fun....
Oooof, they also prob asked you not to do this.. lol. We've got a whistleblower!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the email that I was placed on the alternate list. Interviewed 12/13. Good luck to you all!

• Care
Got the email that I was placed on the alternate list. Interviewed 12/13. Good luck to you all!
+1

this stung! I fell in love with the vibe of this school. definitely was my top choice, so hoping for the best. Congrats to the pending A's!

Last edited:
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R today (but it's okay, I got another II somewhere else today), just letting everyone know they're sending out decisions today

• Care
Anyone know how many students are accepted off of the alternate list on average?

When did you interview?
During my interview 1/31, I was told they were meeting last Friday, and that decisions would be coming out 2nd or 3rd week of Feb.
Interesting, I interviewed the week before you and they said last week of Feb or first week of March for us.

• Hmm
Anyone know how many students are accepted off of the alternate list on average?
+1 alternate list last Friday and I interviewed in early Jan.

I thought I saw a prior post that said last year 40 offers went out to the alternate list?

I’m also wondering, is everyone who interviews but not immediately accepted put on the alternate list, or does Case send some post-II Rs?

I was told on my interview day that decisions for my group would be released today. I have resorted to making a list of puns about bread to keep my mind off what my future may hold... I hope everything ends up like my pantry... All rye...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Does Case give any merit based scholarships?
The website says they do... but i feel like I vaguely remember the woman saying during my 1/31 interview that they stopped doing merit-based, and moved to a need-based, and have no intention of bringing merit-based aid back at this time.

If you got an interview, in your portal, there should be a Financial Aid video under the "Before Your Interview" tab

The website says they do... but i feel like I vaguely remember the woman saying during my 1/31 interview that they stopped doing merit-based, and moved to a need-based, and have no intention of bringing merit-based aid back at this time.

If you got an interview, in your portal, there should be a Financial Aid video under the "Before Your Interview" tab
Correct! They no longer do merit-based at the time cause they expanded need-based significantly. I think their thought process is that you should be getting enough need-based now that you shouldn't need any additional.

• Care
Correct! They no longer do merit-based at the time cause they expanded need-based significantly. I think their thought process is that you should be getting enough need-based now that you shouldn't need any additional.
Thank you! I’m just wondering because I know I’m not going to qualify for financial aid but I don’t want to be drowning in student loan debt so a bit disappointed that there’s no merit-based.

Thank you! I’m just wondering because I know I’m not going to qualify for financial aid but I don’t want to be drowning in student loan debt so a bit disappointed that there’s no merit-based.
Other than the uber-wealthy among us, we are all in exactly the same boat. It then comes down to a question of values.

Schools like NYU chose to raise enough money to take tuition out of the equation for everyone. Of course, the trick there is getting accepted!

Others, like Harvard, Pitt, Case, etc., have chosen to dedicate their resources to those with demonstrated current need, after taking parental financial resources into account, even though we will all earn more than enough in the future to service whatever debt we incur. And still others have chosen to dedicate resources to bringing down the cost for candidates they want, based on stats, demographics, or, honestly, whatever they think is important, without regard to parental or student wealth and income, recognizing that hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is a burden for everyone when they are starting out, no matter how rich or poor their parents are.

At the end of the day, we all make a choice based on what options are presented to us. Some will choose full pay at Harvard or Case over a vastly reduced COA elsewhere because we are impressed by a name, new building, match list, whatever. Others will be fortunate enough to have highly ranked low cost options. Others will choose the lowest cost option regardless of rank. Still others will be thrilled to have any option at all, since many won't.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Couple questions:

1. How long is each interview?

2. How long to hear back about decisions?

Thanks

I was told on my interview day that decisions for my group would be released today. I have resorted to making a list of puns about bread to keep my mind off what my future may hold... I hope everything ends up like my pantry... All rye...
The admissions committee met last night, but we won't be putting out decisions until closer to the end of the month. We love puns. Keep'em coming!

• Haha
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys. Couple questions:

1. How long is each interview?

2. How long to hear back about decisions?

Thanks
1. Faculty (HEP) interview - about 45 minutes
Medical student interview - 30 minutes

2. Not long now.

Anyone have an idea of what percentage of wait listed applicants get accepted off the wait list?

Are there any Case med students that I can talk to about the program? I’m heavily considering going there and would really like to have more information about it.

I interviewed in October/November and can't remember what Case's stance on financial aid is - did they say that they weren't planning on giving any merit-based financial aid because of Covid or something like that? I got a full-ride elsewhere and am curious to see if it's worth sending Case an email to see if they'd match?

I interviewed in October/November and can't remember what Case's stance on financial aid is - did they say that they weren't planning on giving any merit-based financial aid because of Covid or something like that? I got a full-ride elsewhere and am curious to see if it's worth sending Case an email to see if they'd match?
Correct, due to COVID, all institutional funds are going towards need-based aid! Don't think it hurts to ask tho if you have an offer elsewhere.

New changes to the curriculum for Class of 2026! Details are in an email that was sent out.

In short,
  • Mentored research occurs earlier during your time in medical school. 12 of those 16 weeks will take place during summer between MS1 and MS2 years.
  • 8 weeks of dedicated study time for Step 2 after clerkships, if needed. Not sure if there was dedicated prior to this change.

Could someone explain the difference between the new curriculum and old one? A little disappointed because wanted the first year summer to be relaxing. What are the benefits of the new curriculum?

Could someone explain the difference between the new curriculum and old one? A little disappointed because wanted the first year summer to be relaxing. What are the benefits of the new curriculum?
I believe that it's geared towards creating stronger residency applications given that Step 1 is now P/F. Totally agree with wanting a chill first summer, but the idea is that the earlier you get started working on those research projects, the more likely you'll have publications or presentations by the time you apply for residencies. With the Step 2 dedicated study time, you now have (more?) protected time to study for a scored exam that many have suggested might "replace" the importance of Step 1 in previous residency app cycles.

Would love to hear thoughts on the changes by current CWRU students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I believe that it's geared towards creating stronger applications given that Step 1 is now P/F. Totally agree with wanting a chill first summer, but the idea is that the earlier you get started working on those research projects, the more likely you'll have publications or presentations by the time you apply for residencies. With the Step 2 dedicated study time, you now have (more?) protected time to study for a scored exam that many have suggested might "replace" the importance of Step 1 in previous residency app cycles.

Would love to hear thoughts on the changes by current CWRU students.
Yes, would love to hear thoughts on it. How much time was given previously for Step 2 studying?

Would anyone who goes here be open to talking about their experiences in Cleveland? I'm seriously considering Case and I want to understand what it's like.

I second this ^ or if anyone knows anything about Beachwood/Shaker Heights

Would anyone who goes here be open to talking about their experiences in Cleveland? I'm seriously considering Case and I want to understand what it's like.
there's also an admitted students FB page!! i'm sure you can find more answers there

Why do so many people tell me that Cleveland is a bad city with nothing to do? I saw pictures and things to do and it looks like a decently nice city with a good amount of stuff to do. I've never been so am I missing something?

Why do so many people tell me that Cleveland is a bad city with nothing to do? I saw pictures and things to do and it looks like a decently nice city with a good amount of stuff to do. I've never been so am I missing something?
I’ve never been either but I also thought it was a nice city with some cool cultural landmarks. The Case student in my You Do IQ session planted a seed of doubt when they talked about the location being a negative lol.

I’ve never been either but I also thought it was a nice city with some cool cultural landmarks. The Case student in my You Do IQ session planted a seed of doubt when they talked about the location being a negative lol.
Negative is subjective. It depends where you come from and what you're accustomed to.

I've spent a few years in Cleveland and In MY opinion, it aint bad. It's not in the trenches, its just some parts might be trenches-adjacent. If you're comfortable around low income citizens literally just existing, then you'll be fine lol.

Im from Los Angeles and I've heard people say the same thing about USC. Which "suffers" from the same stigma of being trenches-adjacent. Case doesnt seem to be that much different. But again, this is just my opinion.