2021-2022 Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@CWRU.Sman I know that the secondary states that "Note that if you are applying to both the University Program and the College Program, the research response will default to the College Program required response." But just to clarify, will the University Program's admission team have access to my research essay if I am submitting my application to both the College and University program?
Yes, the University Program will see your response to the research essay. It's just that the research essay is slightly different if applying to the University Program only.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, the University Program will see your response to the research essay. It's just that the research essay is slightly different if applying to the University Program only.
Thank you for your help. For the research essay for the University Program, is it okay if I write about multiple research experiences (different research groups, sometimes different types of research---basic science/translational/public health) and what I took away from them? I did see that the College Program explicitly asks for only one.

Thank you for your help. For the research essay for the University Program, is it okay if I write about multiple research experiences (different research groups, sometimes different types of research---basic science/translational/public health) and what I took away from them? I did see that the College Program explicitly asks for only one.
You can but I would recommend not going over the character limit. If one has been more meaningful than the other, feel free to write about one. We have a lot of reading to do so keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school offer full tuition scholarships for those that need it? For the 4 year program.
We do not offer full tuition scholarships and our financial aid is distributed based on need. We did not offer merit scholarships last year and will not be offering merit this cycle.

• Sad
Hi @CWRU.Sman thank you for being so helpful in all your responses, from both this year and the past!

I plan to apply to both the University and College program this year and was wondering if the College Program can see my essays for the University Program, and vice versa? There are a few anecdotes/ experiences that I believe captures my uniqueness as an applicant, and I would like to mention them for both program's prompts. However, I don't want to be repetitive if the admissions committee for either program can see my entire secondary submission.

Lastly, would the "Additional Info (optional) essay" be sent to both University and College programs? I assume they are since it's not labeled specifically for any program. *Edit* - I plan to use this space as a "Why Us" entry. Would addressing my specific interests in aspects of each program be frowned upon, since I may not appear committed to either the University/College program?

Thank you very much!!

Last edited:
Hi @CWRU.Sman thank you for being so helpful in all your responses, from both this year and the past!

I plan to apply to both the University and College program this year and was wondering if the College Program can see my essays for the University Program, and vice versa? There are a few anecdotes/ experiences that I believe captures my uniqueness as an applicant, and I would like to mention them for both program's prompts. However, I don't want to be repetitive if the admissions committee for either program can see my entire secondary submission.

Lastly, would the "Additional Info (optional) essay" be sent to both University and College programs? I assume they are since it's not labeled specifically for any program. *Edit* - I plan to use this space as a "Why Us" entry. Would addressing my specific interests in aspects of each program be frowned upon, since I may not appear committed to either the University/College program?

Thank you very much!!
It's one set of prompts. I am pretty sure both programs see all of them, based on what @CWRU.Sman already said about the research prompt, so you should be good.

Does anyone have any insight into reflecting on your research experience?

I thought about mentioning the importance of research in advancing all fields, but I'm not sure what types of takeaways they are expecting?

Does anyone have any insight into reflecting on your research experience?

I thought about mentioning the importance of research in advancing all fields, but I'm not sure what types of takeaways they are expecting?
Just respond as you see fit. It is open for interpretation. If they had an exact way they want us to write it they would say so.

Thank you very much!!
The additional optional essay is a space that is open to you for exactly that - anything additional you'd like to share that isn't captured anywhere else in your application. CCLCM is not including this optional essay in their portfolio so only the University Program will be using it.

@CWRU.Sman how would you recommend somebody with a felony/misdemeanor showing that they’re ready for medical school. For a bit of context, I have a 521/3.99 from HYPSM but a criminal charge from about three years ago. Three of my letters of recommendation speak at length about how I have grown since the incident but I haven’t been having the cycle I was hoping for this time, so I’m getting ready to prepare for next cycle. Thanks!

@CWRU.Sman how would you recommend somebody with a felony/misdemeanor showing that they’re ready for medical school. For a bit of context, I have a 521/3.99 from HYPSM but a criminal charge from about three years ago. Three of my letters of recommendation speak at length about how I have grown since the incident but I haven’t been having the cycle I was hoping for this time, so I’m getting ready to prepare for next cycle. Thanks!
There are always sensitive topics and difficult to advise on. The greater concern is if you will be able to get a state medical license with a felony on your record.

There are always sensitive topics and difficult to advise on. The greater concern is if you will be able to get a state medical license with a felony on your record.
Not to mention, the cycle is only 3 weeks old, so it might be a little too soon to call! :cool:

I appreciate your reply. Is a misdemeanor generally easier to get a license assuming that it is not a crime a moral turpitude. I read a blog with the Dean of CWRU who had a podcast for somebody who got a dui for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on the incident

I appreciate your reply. Is a misdemeanor generally easier to get a license assuming that it is not a crime a moral turpitude. I read a blog with the Dean of CWRU who had a podcast for somebody who got a dui for example.
That determination is left up to the state medical board. We have considered applicants with a DUI conviction as have other schools.

Hi! Question for @CWRU.Sman -- for the following prompt for CCLCM "We invite you to share a specific (or notable) life or work experiences that will allow you to uniquely contribute to the diversity and inclusion mission of our medical school and enterprise."

Are you looking for a single specific experience or can we discuss multiple experiences?

Thanks so much for all your help!

hi all, what kind of applicants should be applying to the Cleveland Clinic program? How much of a research background does the program require? besides the fact that its free, what pulls students into this program and what kind of students/student interests tend to excel in this program? On average, do you need higher stats for this program than the regular CW program?

hi all, what kind of applicants should be applying to the Cleveland Clinic program? How much of a research background does the program require? besides the fact that its free, what pulls students into this program and what kind of students/student interests tend to excel in this program? On average, do you need higher stats for this program than the regular CW program?
following

You need high stats, period, but, from the secondary, it's definitely a research thing. I'm not an expert, so maybe @CWRU.Sman can weigh in, but, as an applicant, my takeaway is that they are looking for people who are VERY strong in research yet aren't looking to be MD-PhDs. I'm pretty sure that's what distinguishes it from the University Program, rather than stats.

You need high stats, period, but, from the secondary, it's definitely a research thing. I'm not an expert, so maybe @CWRU.Sman can weigh in, but, as an applicant, my takeaway is that they are looking for people who are VERY strong in research yet aren't looking to be MD-PhDs.
how high are we talking? haha.

I don't think its really a stats thing. I would read up on the program and make sure its something you are interested in. I think if you have like normal Case-level stats, you have a shot if you can explain why you would excel in the unique structure of CCLCM and why you think it is necessary to your career goals. You don't need to be a 4.0/528, in fact past a certain point I doubt stats will help you as much as ability to verbalize your goals and explain your research.

????? They don't break them out, and keep in mind that the program is TINY, so I am not sure breaking them out would be that informative, since a few skewing high or low could paint a false picture. Stats are probably commensurate with whatever research studs at T20s typically have.

Again, hopefully @CWRU.Sman will pop in and flesh this out for us. My sense from the secondary is that they are looking for the same type of people who would be competitive for MD/PhD, but for whatever reason don't want to devote the time to that.

Hi @al32341! The podcast "All Acess: Med School Admissions" (hosted by the one and only Dr. Essman!) is a great resource for your questions, and I found the podcast really helpful when I was in the process of trying to decide which schools to apply to. Here's a link to the episode where he interviews the Associate Dean at CCLM. It gave me a pretty good idea of what the program was like: Episode 36: Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of CWRU | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University . It's also on spotify and apple podcasts!

Reactions: 2 users
last question! do you need additional research mentor letters to apply/be considered for CCLM? I have one major research experience and a letter from that PI only, so I want to make sure I'm not missing requirements. Thank you to all those who answered my other questions!

last question! do you need additional research mentor letters to apply/be considered for CCLM? I have one major research experience and a letter from that PI only, so I want to make sure I'm not missing requirements. Thank you to all those who answered my other questions!
According to the CCLCM FAQ from the secondary,

"6. Can I send in the same letters of evaluation for the College Program as I would for the University Program and the MSTP?

Yes, but for the College Program, you should be sure to include a letter from a research advisor. Evaluation letters should also reflect your research background and experience."

hi, I am applying to both 4 year program the CCLCM 5 year program. At the end, there is an optional "Additional Info?" question, which typically isn't really optional (I get the feeling for this school it isn't optional to be competitive)

I want to put a "Why this school" essay here, but I am afraid that CCLCM will read it and think I'm more interested in the CWRU program than theirs (both programs get the same secondary). Should I put a "Why Case" essay?

If you've applied to both before, please lmk what y'all put in this box. Thanks!

hi, I am applying to both 4 year program the CCLCM 5 year program. At the end, there is an optional "Additional Info?" question, which typically isn't really optional (I get the feeling for this school it isn't optional to be competitive)

I want to put a "Why this school" essay here, but I am afraid that CCLCM will read it and think I'm more interested in the CWRU program than theirs (both programs get the same secondary). Should I put a "Why Case" essay?

If you've applied to both before, please lmk what y'all put in this box. Thanks!
I put a diversity essay

Edit: Sorry, I didn't apply to both! But hopefully this helps

Last edited:
I put a diversity essay

Edit: Sorry, I didn't apply to both! But hopefully this helps
thanks for your response, unfortunately CCLCM already asks for diversity so I can't use that again. I think I might just put the Why CWRU but put things that are available to both schools.

I see that Case Western has a "strong recommendation" for getting the secondary in within 2 weeks. Is this a hint that they look at demonstrated interest by checking the timeline? I was going to submit it within 15-16 days, but I do not want the adcoms to think that the Case app wasn't important to me

I see that Case Western has a "strong recommendation" for getting the secondary in within 2 weeks. Is this a hint that they look at demonstrated interest by checking the timeline? I was going to submit it within 15-16 days, but I do not want the adcoms to think that the Case app wasn't important to me
I think it's stronger than a hint. They continue in that email by saying "completing the secondary as early as possible may enhance your chances of being invited for an interview". They don't disqualify you if you are past 2 weeks, but it's likely in your best interest to get within their strongly recommended timeframe.

That said, people have gotten II after sitting on the secondary for 3 weeks and an adcom said on a previous cycle thread it was just a recommendation and that they didn't strictly keep track of 15, 16, 17 days etc....

However, it's always best to submit asap without sacrificing quality. I'm kicking myself for submitting at 15 days, but it is what it is
Totally no need to kick yourself. Other than at UCLA (and I honestly have no idea what's going on there!) I haven't heard of any schools actually enforcing this "deadline." They say what they say because they want to keep the trains moving, and spacing out when they send secondaries and then asking that they be returned within two weeks helps them with workflow.

That said, we all know some people return them right away, some not at all, and others at every conceivable increment along the way, so I'm no sure meeting an arbitrary two week deadline really helps the adcoms accomplish anything. After all, it's not like they turn around an application review in anything close to two weeks once they receive them, so it's not like they are sitting around with nothing to do if a secondary isn't returned within two weeks. :)

Tell me more sweet nothings 😌

Haha thanks for putting my mind at ease today, I think the commonly touted labor day deadline is pushing it a bit but I feel like if I get my secondaries in by August then I'm in the clear.

Are you studying at UCF by chance? Not sure how many schools out there have 'knights' as a mascot or if it's just coincidence
My pleasure!! You are totally fine. Even Labor Day is nothing more than a SDN rule of thumb, but it's a pretty good one just based on the timeline of the cycle in general, when IIs start to go out, etc.

UCF is a decent guess, and I do have an interest in their med school, as evidenced by my post history, but, no, not a UCF UG. I will point out that Rutgers (another school I am interested in) also has a Knight, as does the US Military Academy, Fairleigh Dickinson, Bridgeport, etc.

SDN is a really great resource, but I have found it's also way too easy to get caught up in all the hyper-neurotic BS that it incubates and amplifies. Med school admissions are incredibly difficult and competitive. People here love to read tea leaves and speculate about everything.

I am convinced the recommended two week turnaround in a process that literally takes months on end from first submission to ghosting to ultimate decision is nothing more an attempt to manage workflow.

Think about it -- how petty would it be for an adcom to get to an otherwise attractive application, notice the secondary wasn't returned for 3 or 4 weeks, and toss it because, even though everything looks great, the credit card payment didn't bounce back, etc., the applicant clearly isn't highly motivated because no other reason than that could possibly explain the lack of urgency in not returning the secondary within the recommended two weeks in JULY?????? Like, maybe, EC responsibilities, work, school, family emergencies, general fatigue, COVID, other applications??? I dunno. :)

That said, people have gotten II after sitting on the secondary for 3 weeks and an adcom said on a previous cycle thread it was just a recommendation and that they didn't strictly keep track of 15, 16, 17 days etc....

However, it's always best to submit asap without sacrificing quality. I'm kicking myself for submitting at 15 days, but it is what it is
I agree completely. Hopefully I did not come across as a doomsayer. I guess I just take medical schools at face value when they say "we strongly recommend that you complete the secondary application within two weeks".

That said, I can't fathom that 3 extra days would be the difference between getting accepted or not. Life happens! :) No need to kick yourself for it.

Fair :) I hate to say it but as bad as the neuroticism is for one's mental health, I do try to ride it a bit to keep me on top of things. If you do stay up an extra few hours to submit a solid essay within 2 weeks because you think everyone else is, you technically do have an edge over others in the process... It's a balance between taking the advice as a guideline for success and taking it to heart, I guess.

Found the Case adcom's comment in last year's thread:

"The 2-week recommendation is just that - a recommendation. We don't necessarily track if someone submitted on day 15, 16, 17, etc. Just don't sit on it too long and DO NOT wait until the December 15th deadline."

Thanks for tracking that comment down! That seems more in line with my impressions of Case (and in alignment with what Christian Essman and his interviewees have said on the All Access podcast). Case has seemed very reasonable and I was a little surprised by the wording of their secondary invitation. Glad to see they are flexible.

All the best on this process!

@CWRU.Sman I know that the secondary states that "Note that if you are applying to both the University Program and the College Program, the research response will default to the College Program required response." But just to clarify, will the University Program's admission team have access to my research essay if I am submitting my application to both the College and University program?
Yes

I think it's stronger than a hint. They continue in that email by saying "completing the secondary as early as possible may enhance your chances of being invited for an interview". They don't disqualify you if you are past 2 weeks, but it's likely in your best interest to get within their strongly recommended timeframe.
Correct. The point is that we (and every other med school) have WAY more interview spots available at the beginning of the season than later in the year. Therefore, if you're just submitting your application in November when we're booking interviews in January and February, then your chances of getting an interview could be much less.

The two week recommendation is just that... a recommendation. We're not tracking whether you submitted within 13 days or 17 days.

• Love
Hi @al32341! The podcast "All Acess: Med School Admissions" (hosted by the one and only Dr. Essman!) is a great resource for your questions, and I found the podcast really helpful when I was in the process of trying to decide which schools to apply to. Here's a link to the episode where he interviews the Associate Dean at CCLM. It gave me a pretty good idea of what the program was like: Episode 36: Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of CWRU | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University . It's also on spotify and apple podcasts!
Thanks - hearing from the Dean of CCLCM is a good place to get insight. Simply put, CCLCM is for students who reeeeeeeally like research and want research to be a part of their career pathway as an MD. Perhaps pursuing an MD/PhD isn't an academic or career goal (or being in school for 8-9 years), then CCLCM is for them. Their stats are pretty close to the UP students. Successful CCLCM applicants don't all have 4.0/528's. As with any data like this there is a nice range too.

Correct. The point is that we (and every other med school) have WAY more interview spots available at the beginning of the season than later in the year. Therefore, if you're just submitting your application in November when we're booking interviews in January and February, then your chances of getting an interview could be much less.

The two week recommendation is just that... a recommendation. We're not tracking whether you submitted within 13 days or 17 days.
Hi @CWRU.Sman! To follow up on this, at least at CWRU, if an application is complete early and does not receive an early II, I understand that this might mean nothing because it might not have even been reviewed.

But, if it has been reviewed and does not receive an II, does this typically mean the file has been rejected, even if the candidate is not notified, or do files really carry from adcom meeting to adcom meeting, and do files that were not scored high enough to receive an II in August sometimes receive IIs later in the cycle simply because the higher scoring applications are front loaded in the beginning of the cycle?

Also, just what determines when a file is reviewed, and how does an early applicant who hears nothing but crickets get a realistic view of how things are going, other than waiting for an II at any time from now through next Spring, or a R anytime between now and next Spring or Summers?

Hi @CWRU.Sman! To follow up on this, at least at CWRU, if an application is complete early and does not receive an early II, I understand that this might mean nothing because it might not have even been reviewed.

But, if it has been reviewed and does not receive an II, does this typically mean the file has been rejected, even if the candidate is not notified, or do files really carry from adcom meeting to adcom meeting, and do files that were not scored high enough to receive an II in August sometimes receive IIs later in the cycle simply because the higher scoring applications are front loaded in the beginning of the cycle?

Also, just what determines when a file is reviewed, and how does an early applicant who hears nothing but crickets get a realistic view of how things are going, other than waiting for an II at any time from now through next Spring, or a R anytime between now and next Spring or Summers?
For CWRU, it just has to do with volume. We already have nearly 5,500 verified AMCAS applications and 2,800 completed applications - it's like a tsunami of applications in a short amount of time. The screening process takes time, a lot of time. Patience will be a a strong virtue in this process. Crickets doesn't always mean a bad thing, it could just mean that we haven't gotten to the application yet.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
For CWRU, it just has to do with volume. We already have nearly 5,500 verified AMCAS applications and 2,800 completed applications - it's like a tsunami of applications in a short amount of time. The screening process takes time, a lot of time. Patience will be a a strong virtue in this process. Crickets doesn't always mean a bad thing, it could just mean that we haven't gotten to the application yet.
Thank you for your help on here. Was there any method/reasoning behind which students were selected to receive the first batch of secondaries before the full rollout?

Thank you for your help on here. Was there any method/reasoning behind which students were selected to receive the first batch of secondaries before the full rollout?
No. We just needed send out about 75-100 invitations to make sure there everything on the platform would work and there weren't any bugs. Nothing worse than sending out 1,000s of emails (without testing the platform) and then having 1,000s of people telling you there is a problem. Bottomline - don't read into it.

Are you willing to share how applications are stratified and prioritized for review? I'm sure it's not first in-first out, or is it? Given how bad the odds are for everyone, unfortunately, while crickets don't always mean a bad thing, they do far more often than not, so any insight you are comfortable sharing can at least allow people to set expectations other than totally blindly! :)

No. We just needed send out about 75-100 invitations to make sure there everything on the platform would work and there weren't any bugs. Nothing worse than sending out 1,000s of emails (without testing the platform) and then having 1,000s of people telling you there is a problem. Bottomline - don't read into it.
phew, thanks!

Based on this, it seems as if a high volume cycle is inevitable, as one would expect after a recession. Even if things are looking better for the economy, people are now more drawn to recession proof careers. I’m thinking it’s a good idea to submit a few extra applications. Game theory playing out in real life. Everybody would be better off if all applicants sent in fewer primary/secondaries but I can only see school lists getting larger in the future.

Based on this, it seems as if a high volume cycle is inevitable, as one would expect after a recession. Even if things are looking better for the economy, people are now more drawn to recession proof careers. I’m thinking it’s a good idea to submit a few extra applications. Game theory playing out in real life. Everybody would be better off if all applicants sent in fewer primary/secondaries but I can only see school lists getting larger in the future.
Sounds great, but your strategy is predicated on each application having a random chance of success. The reality, however, is that applications are actually reviewed by human beings, who are looking for whatever it is that they look for. Most people have around two dozen decent matches, give or take.

Beyond that, your game theory runs smack into the law of diminishing returns. As you apply to more and more schools, farther away from geographic, stat and student profile targets, you get less and less bang for your buck with each incremental application. This, as much as anything else, is probably why people settled on around two dozen applications, versus engaging in your game theory and just ratcheting up to 40, 50 or whatever, as seems to be happening with ECs and gap years.

Sounds great, but your strategy is predicated on each application having a random chance of success. The reality, however, is that applications are actually reviewed by human beings, who are looking for whatever it is that they look for. Most people have around two dozen decent matches, give or take.

Beyond that, your game theory runs smack into the law of diminishing returns. As you apply to more and more schools, farther away from geographic, stat and student profile targets, you get less and less bang for your buck with each incremental application. This, as much as anything else, is probably why people settled on around two dozen applications, versus engaging in your game theory and just ratcheting up to 40, 50 or whatever, as seems to be happening with ECs and gap years.

To piggyback off this, an increase in the number of apps does NOT mean an increase in the number of quality apps. Just because more people are applying doesn't mean the competition is necessarily getting harder, at least not yet...

Could there be tougher competition in a few years? Sure, probably. But remember, it takes years of hard work to put together a solid app for any medical school, let alone a top school like CWRU. So I wouldn't worry too much about the false "Fauci effect" you seem to be afraid of.

Thanks - hearing from the Dean of CCLCM is a good place to get insight. Simply put, CCLCM is for students who reeeeeeeally like research and want research to be a part of their career pathway as an MD. Perhaps pursuing an MD/PhD isn't an academic or career goal (or being in school for 8-9 years), then CCLCM is for them. Their stats are pretty close to the UP students. Successful CCLCM applicants don't all have 4.0/528's. As with any data like this there is a nice range too.
Is the CCLCM program friendly towards students that already have a Ph.D. but want a Research-Oriented MD experience?

@CWRU.Sman will the admissions committee look at my application less favorably if I took 3.5 weeks to complete the secondary. I didn’t even realize the invitation email had a strong reccomendation to get it done in 2 weeks, as I was going off the deadline on the MSAR. I wanted to make sure my answers were perfect or I’d have gotten it in sooner

@CWRU.Sman will the admissions committee look at my application less favorably if I took 3.5 weeks to complete the secondary. I didn’t even realize the invitation email had a strong reccomendation to get it done in 2 weeks, as I was going off the deadline on the MSAR. I wanted to make sure my answers were perfect or I’d have gotten it in sooner

This is his response to that question from a few posts ago.