You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Case Western
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Complete 7/9, LM 75. It was a bit surprising since I have a research heavy background but oh well, on to the next one!sorry to hear that 🙁 when were you complete?
D
deleted1068730
R, LM 84, not a good start to the cycle 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
sorry to hear about the Rs :/ keep your head up everyone!
did anyone with an R have significant research experience? i know that is something case values
did anyone with an R have significant research experience? i know that is something case values
I did! But low stats compared to their median. Oh well!sorry to hear about the Rs :/ keep your head up everyone!
did anyone with an R have significant research experience? i know that is something case values
NaKATPase413
ORM, CA RESIDENT, LM 76.7, WARS 79 (Readjusted)
R. OOS, ORM, LM of 76.6. Not surprising since I did not have super heavy research experience.
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
has anyone complete after 7/20 received an R?
D
deleted1075526
Sorry to hear about the R's. Anyone care to share complete date?
D
deleted1025488
EDIT: wrong school thread disregard my post
frogdogdizzly
Full Member
R today, was my top choice and top reach school... it sucks but also oh well, was a long shot anyway. Complete 7/9, 510 mcat, 3.7 gpa.
**Edit - research heavy app
Does anyone know if an R from the university program automatically means an R from the college/Cleveland clinic program?
**Edit - research heavy app
Does anyone know if an R from the university program automatically means an R from the college/Cleveland clinic program?
They have separate adcoms, so I doubt anything is automatic, but, given that the university program is the larger, less competitive, more expensive program, I'd think the odds are not good.R today, was my top choice and top reach school... it sucks but also oh well, was a long shot anyway. Complete 7/9, 510 mcat, 3.7 gpa.
**Edit - research heavy app
Does anyone know if an R from the university program automatically means an R from the college/Cleveland clinic program?
frogdogdizzly
Full Member
Very true very true very trueThey have separate adcoms, so I doubt anything is automatic, but, given that the university program is the larger, less competitive, more expensive program, I'd think the odds are not good.
It's easy for me to say, but, if you are like most of us, you applied to a lot of schools, so try not to let an early setback get in your head. It's a long cycle and you knew it was a reach, so, you did the right thing by taking your shot, and the most productive thing you can do now is just focus on all your other schools, including the college program until you hear from them. None of us is going to bat 1.000 here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
brainperson1
Full Member
I know that this has been discussed previously a bit, but you can get into both the university and Lerner programs, correct?They have separate adcoms, so I doubt anything is automatic, but, given that the university program is the larger, less competitive, more expensive program, I'd think the odds are not good.
Absolutely. Many people (of those admitted to Lerner) do. Totally separate adcoms. One doesn't look at the other.I know that this has been discussed previously a bit, but you can get into both the university and Lerner programs, correct?
I'm not sure it's that relevant, though. Lerner is such a unique opportunity, and the only way to receive merit money from Case, so I doubt that the people turning down Lerner do so to go to the university program.
Maybe @CWRU.Sman can address whether candidates strong enough to be admitted to the college program tend to be resource protected out at the university program. I doubt it, but would love to hear his thoughts, since he's in a position to know while I am merely speculating. 🙂
Last edited:
Yes, you can totally get accepted to both programs.I know that this has been discussed previously a bit, but you can get into both the university and Lerner programs, correct?
doctorhalstead
Full Member
Congrats!! would you mind sharing stats and when you were complete?II received for the University Program!
writingsucks101
Full Member
II for UP received this morning! IS, complete 07/10
I'm quite surprised I have not gotten an R just yet, although I'm heavily expecting it soon enough. Secondary submitted 8/5, stats aren't great but I have great experiences. I've got no lab based research thus far (pandemic ruined that for me) but I'm starting some in my gap year, at Lerner no less. It's a reach school for a reason though, I would kill for stats like some of you :/
gogomed0000
Full Member
OOS interview this morning but with connections to the state. Keep your heads up my friends, those IIs will be coming your way!
Do you mind sharing stats? Also what day you submitted your secondary/got the interview invite? Also congrats! Hoping you get in 🙂OOS interview this morning but with connections to the state. Keep your heads up my friends, those IIs will be coming your way!
aliceinscienceland
Full Member
Keep your head up! Stats aren't everything, and I'm sure for every high stat interview invite on here there is also a lower stat interview invite that isn't posted. It's definitely nerve-wracking to wait around, but try to remember that you will eventually get into the program that's the best fit for you. Good luck, you got this!I'm quite surprised I have not gotten an R just yet, although I'm heavily expecting it soon enough. Secondary submitted 8/5, stats aren't great but I have great experiences. I've got no lab based research thus far (pandemic ruined that for me) but I'm starting some in my gap year, at Lerner no less. It's a reach school for a reason though, I would kill for stats like some of you :/
gogomed0000
Full Member
Sure! I have a 521/3.95, submitted on July 11th, and got the II this morning. And thank you same to you 🙂Do you mind sharing stats? Also what day you submitted your secondary/got the interview invite? Also congrats! Hoping you get in 🙂
Thank you qqKeep your head up! Stats aren't everything, and I'm sure for every high stat interview invite on here there is also a lower stat interview invite that isn't posted. It's definitely nerve-wracking to wait around, but try to remember that you will eventually get into the program that's the best fit for you. Good luck, you got this!
mdphd63627
Full Member
MSTP II recieved!
pharmabro11
Full Member
MSTP II received, complete 7/23, LM 76.5
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1115418
University Program II 8/18, OOS with family ties, 3.92/523. Interview scheduled for 8/30. Sorry about the delay, just made an account.
mm_premedstudent
Full Member
They say UP interviews are only offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays but there was one Friday available on the calendar...is this a mistake or just a one-off thing?
Current M1 at the University Program happy to answer questions about Case!
The work-life balance, facilities, opportunities, and strong class bond that's already formed in my M1 class has made me really glad I ended up at Case.
One thing I want to say (as someone who's not on the admissions committee) is that I don't think Case is as ultra-focused on research as some of the posts here suggest? While a little bit of research is likely a soft requirement, you definitely don't need thousands of hours and multiple 1st authors pub to get into Case (I certainly did not). Case's curriculum is very group-learning focused, and as a result, I think admissions is looking for people who demonstrate that they enjoy working in groups and work well in groups. Overall, I think it's more important to the admissions committee to be well-rounded and show that you have interests/talents outside of medicine (i.e. music, arts, sports, lived experiences, etc.).
Regarding the University Program vs. Lerner discussions that I've seen, I think the main difference between UP students and CP students is the research experience and desire to pursue research in their careers. My classmates in Lerner are already spending dozens of hours a week in lab. Most of my Lerner friends say that if not for Lerner, they'd probably have gone MSTP. If I had to guess, their MCAT average might be 1-2 points higher, but I don't think the UP and CP students are that far apart statistically.
The work-life balance, facilities, opportunities, and strong class bond that's already formed in my M1 class has made me really glad I ended up at Case.
One thing I want to say (as someone who's not on the admissions committee) is that I don't think Case is as ultra-focused on research as some of the posts here suggest? While a little bit of research is likely a soft requirement, you definitely don't need thousands of hours and multiple 1st authors pub to get into Case (I certainly did not). Case's curriculum is very group-learning focused, and as a result, I think admissions is looking for people who demonstrate that they enjoy working in groups and work well in groups. Overall, I think it's more important to the admissions committee to be well-rounded and show that you have interests/talents outside of medicine (i.e. music, arts, sports, lived experiences, etc.).
Regarding the University Program vs. Lerner discussions that I've seen, I think the main difference between UP students and CP students is the research experience and desire to pursue research in their careers. My classmates in Lerner are already spending dozens of hours a week in lab. Most of my Lerner friends say that if not for Lerner, they'd probably have gone MSTP. If I had to guess, their MCAT average might be 1-2 points higher, but I don't think the UP and CP students are that far apart statistically.
No, not a mistake. We have two Thursdays this season with signficant conflicts that we had to switch to Friday.They say UP interviews are only offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays but there was one Friday available on the calendar...is this a mistake or just a one-off thing?
Average MCAT between UP and CP was actually the SAME! Thanks for chiming in!Current M1 at the University Program happy to answer questions about Case!
The work-life balance, facilities, opportunities, and strong class bond that's already formed in my M1 class has made me really glad I ended up at Case.
One thing I want to say (as someone who's not on the admissions committee) is that I don't think Case is as ultra-focused on research as some of the posts here suggest? While a little bit of research is likely a soft requirement, you definitely don't need thousands of hours and multiple 1st authors pub to get into Case (I certainly did not). Case's curriculum is very group-learning focused, and as a result, I think admissions is looking for people who demonstrate that they enjoy working in groups and work well in groups. Overall, I think it's more important to the admissions committee to be well-rounded and show that you have interests/talents outside of medicine (i.e. music, arts, sports, lived experiences, etc.).
Regarding the University Program vs. Lerner discussions that I've seen, I think the main difference between UP students and CP students is the research experience and desire to pursue research in their careers. My classmates in Lerner are already spending dozens of hours a week in lab. Most of my Lerner friends say that if not for Lerner, they'd probably have gone MSTP. If I had to guess, their MCAT average might be 1-2 points higher, but I don't think the UP and CP students are that far apart statistically.
thefinalletter123
Full Member
Has anyone else not received a secondary even? Added this school early August lol. From what I can tell, they don't even have a screen right?
No screen. Check your spam filter, and then check to make sure AMCAS actually lists the school as having been added. (You wouldn't be the first person this cycle who thought they added a school when they didn't! 🙂) If none of that works and you triple check your inbox, I'd then send them an e-mail asking if maybe there is a glitch in their system.Has anyone else not received a secondary even? Added this school early August lol. From what I can tell, they don't even have a screen right?
thefinalletter123
Full Member
Just checked, and I did add this school. I'm a reapp and changed the email I'm using from last cycle, so maybe that's it? Gonna call them on Monday, thanks for the help!No screen. Check your spam filter, and then check to make sure AMCAS actually lists the school as having been added. (You wouldn't be the first person this cycle who thought they added a school when they didn't! 🙂) If none of that works and you triple check your inbox, I'd then send them an e-mail asking if maybe there is a glitch in their system.
If you're a reapp from last cycle and you still have the link from then, why not try clicking on it and seeing what happens?Just checked, and I did add this school. I'm a reapp and changed the email I'm using from last cycle, so maybe that's it? Gonna call them on Monday, thanks for the help!
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
Any IIs or Rs recently?
goatgoat4
Full Member
+1 complete 7/21I just received an II this morning (complete 7/15)! There were also plenty of nearby dates available, so I was surprised.
Purely out of curiosity, what dates are being offered at the moment?There were also plenty of nearby dates available, so I was surprised.
Also....CONGRATSSS go rock it!
doctorhalstead
Full Member
Congrats! Do you mind sharing stats?I just received an II this morning (complete 7/15)! There were also plenty of nearby dates available, so I was surprised.
Thank you. They had dates ranging from mid september to mid octorber.Purely out of curiosity, what dates are being offered at the moment?
Also....CONGRATSSS go rock it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received R for the CP program.
Hi guys, random question from an applicant who is super behind: For the additional information section, what kind of information did you guys put? Would writing a ~3500 character essay about why Case Western SOM be appropriate? Would leaving it blank look bad?
I made mine about why Case Western!Hi guys, random question from an applicant who is super behind: For the additional information section, what kind of information did you guys put? Would writing a ~3500 character essay about why Case Western SOM be appropriate? Would leaving it blank look bad?
+1I made mine about why Case Western!
I don't necessarily know if it would look bad, but it seems like it wouldn't do any harm--they could just not read it. Honestly, I just saw that everyone else was doing it on here so I did it too lmao
II today for UP! Complete 7/20. LM 76, OOS with no ties.
Edited with more info
Edited with more info
Last edited: