2021-2022 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2021-2022 Dartmouth (Geisel) Secondary Essay Prompts: (no word limit known for questions 1 & 2, correct me if you hear different!)

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2021-2022 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

3. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • Please indicate your plans for the upcoming year.
  • Please share something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application that you feel might be helpful to our Admissions committee.
  • Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the second essay question is optional? I'm in the process of pre-writing and I'm not sure I have anything useful to put for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the third prompt, are you just reflecting on the situation and what you learned or also talking about how it influenced your actions in the future ( for ex: you initiated a club to help inclusivity or something)? I was trying to do the latter as well but I don't have enough space

Does anyone know if the second essay question is optional? I'm in the process of pre-writing and I'm not sure I have anything useful to put for it.

I applied last cycle and it was required.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received secondaries for them this cycle? My app was verified 6/28 and I have not gotten anything yet but I know it's early...

I was verified day one and have not received anything yet. I think you're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS secondary received:

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2018-2019 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

*The first question academic year is incorrect for some reason.

OOS secondary received:

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2018-2019 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

Did they drop the question about diversity and social justice (a time you were the "other")?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received:

+1 OOS secondary received

So I completely forgot to include the courses that I plan to take in the fall in that first question, do you think I should email admissions?

For the prerequisites, in the department section, am I overthinking it or shouldn't it be the same as the subject listed? For example, for the Biology requirement, shouldn't I just fill out Biology for the Department?

For the prerequisites, in the department section, am I overthinking it or shouldn't it be the same as the subject listed? For example, for the Biology requirement, shouldn't I just fill out Biology for the Department?
Also confused about this and had the same thinking as you.

It might be different, say you took biostat and it was part of the biology department but you wanted to use that for the stat requirement. OChem is part of my chemistry department, there is no organic chemistry department. But for the most part I would guess it would be the same, just go with whatever department it is listed under on your transcript.

Reactions: 3 users
So I completely forgot to include the courses that I plan to take in the fall in that first question, do you think I should email admissions?
on their FAQ page, they state the following:
"If you make a mistake on your secondary, please contact the Admissions Office. We will reopen the secondary application so that you may make changes."

For those applying MD/PhD: just recieved secondary, there are no additional prompts. You just have to select the graduate programs you are interested in as well as 8 faculty.

what kind of stuff are you supposed to write for that second question? Diversity? COVID? I'm confused by the lack of guidance, haha

what kind of stuff are you supposed to write for that second question? Diversity? COVID? I'm confused by the lack of guidance, haha
I wrote a combination economic hardship/diversity essay. Covid would have been better in hindsight. You can also write something fun. Open ended purposefully I think

I wrote a diversity/why us essay... not sure if that was right but seemed open-ended!

I'm also doing diversity for that one

I put a personal challenge essay for that one. Personally, I thought it was more interesting to read than my diversity essay

Anyone know what is a good length for 2nd one? I put like a diversity + future career goals essay in there and it is about 3500 characters (567 words) and did a long gap year essay and that is about 3000 characters (497 words). Is that too long or is it fine?

Anyone know what is a good length for 2nd one? I put like a diversity + future career goals essay in there and it is about 3500 characters (567 words) and did a long gap year essay and that is about 3000 characters (497 words). Is that too long or is it fine?
The highest word count I've seen on any of my secondaries is 550 words so those should be fine.

For people still in college, what are you writing for that first question? Just outlining your classes and activities for next year or are you doing any kind of reflection as well?

I just logged in to my secondary application portal and now the third question has randomly appeared when it was not there before? Has anyone else experienced this?

I just logged in to my secondary application portal and now the third question has randomly appeared when it was not there before? Has anyone else experienced this?
Just checked and it's there for me as well... a week and a half after I submitted. Sounds like a ****show in the making

Just checked and it's there for me as well... a week and a half after I submitted. Sounds like a ****show in the making
It is there for me as well, taunting me with the 0/250 word count.

It is there for me as well, taunting me with the 0/250 word count.
So uh... how are we supposed to handle this? Geisel can't rightly hold this against us, at least not justly...

So uh... how are we supposed to handle this? Geisel can't rightly hold this against us, at least not justly...
ugh this is the second time additional requirements have been added for me after submitting a secondary this cycle. Getting frustrating

I will choose to ignore it unless they send us an email saying to write it.

Last edited:
Does anyone else now have the social justice/other third essay question now? I could have sworn when I checked the portal about a week ago there were only the first two questions.

Does anyone else now have the social justice/other third essay question now? I could have sworn when I checked the portal about a week ago there were only the first two questions.

Yep. See above^^

Wait wtf.... I submitted on 7/11 and that 3rd prompt didn't exist. are you guys emailing?

Wait wtf.... I submitted on 7/11 and that 3rd prompt didn't exist. are you guys emailing?
I wouldn't email, everyone who submitted before this question was added will have it missing, and I'm guessing that's a good chunk of people. They'll send out a mass email at some point either telling us to ignore it or, *groan*, that they'd prefer we sent in our response as an update or something

Reactions: 5 users
If I want to email I am certain that others will have as well.

We should be expecting an email from them sometime in the next 24 hours addressing it. If you do email make it something direct and professional:

“Good afternoon,

As I am sure you are aware by now, there appears to be a system issue with the secondary. At the time I submitted, only the first two prompts were available. It appears now the third prompt has been added after submission with no availability to edit. I would like to add another event to your list of those affected and would like to request guidance or information, if available, on how this will affect review of my application moving forward.

Name
AAMC ID:”

Reactions: 1 users
Super unprofessional on the part of the schools. They expect the highest standard from us, but they manage to forget an entire essay on the secondary? And no communication of any kind when they correct it? Something stinks
Wasn't this the IT crew who confidently claimed students were cheating before having any confirmation from the software vendor that the sw tool's logs actually reported what they thought? So, yeah: "Highest standards for thee, but not for me."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Same wtf this is so annoying. Should we wait for them to email us or just email them?

The sudden addition of that third prompt a week after secondary invites were sent out is absolutely ridiculous. It looks like it was one of the prompts from the past cycle, so they "forgot" to put it on there.

I sent in my diversity prompt for the additional comments question, purely BECAUSE that third "the other" question didn't show up. dartmouth better not ask us to rewrite that essay

Reactions: 4 users
this is so incredibly frustrating...i hope they send out an email to applicants about it, especially to all of us who have already submitted their secondary

Reactions: 7 users