2021-2022 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shoot lol...Do y'all think they'll just remove the prompt or force us to resubmit the secondary?
I like to think they'll just remove it, since, as someone mentioned before, the lack of a diversity essay may have led people to write about it for the extra essay. That's partially what I did.

But then again, no schools really care about applicants. So we'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I like to think they'll just remove it, since, as someone mentioned before, the lack of a diversity essay may have led people to write about it for the extra essay. That's partially what I did.

But then again, no schools really care about applicants. So we'll see.
At the same time, they made a conscious effort to add it after well over a week. I do not see why they would add it just to have it removed again. What makes me mad is that it is one of the most expensive secondaries ($130). If you expect us to pay that much you better have your **** together. Not a good look.

This is ridiculous... I'm seeing the third question too and it definitely wasn't there before. My only concern with us not emailing is that they might not realize how many people this has affected and I don't want to give anyone something to hold against my app especially after paying so much to submit :( What is the downside to sending them an emailing asking about this?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is ridiculous... I'm seeing the third question too and it definitely wasn't there before. My only concern with us not emailing is that they might not realize how many people this has affected and I don't want to give anyone something to hold against my app especially after paying so much to submit :( What is the downside to sending them an emailing asking about this?
There is no downside. I sent an email and encourage others to do the same. If they see multiple people had this issue then they will make note of it and address everyone rather than responding to every single person individually. I did this with UCSD too, a few dozen of us emailed to clarify their letter requirements and they ended up changing the letter requirement.

Don’t feel shy, send a respectful email. Change can’t happen with inaction.

Reactions: 7 users
There is no downside. I sent an email and encourage others to do the same. If they see multiple people had this issue then they will make note of it and address everyone rather than responding to every single person individually. I did this with UCSD too, a few dozen of us emailed to clarify their letter requirements and they ended up changing the letter requirement.

Don’t feel shy, send a respectful email. Change can’t happen with inaction.

I agree! I emailed them this morning.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't imagine that the one prompt will ever be a deciding factor for selection. They will almost certainly just not use it. Imagine the absolute nightmare of them having to open up a 10 + year old portal to allow some few thousand applicants to submit. This is gunna be a nightmare

I can't imagine that the one prompt will ever be a deciding factor for selection. They will almost certainly just not use it. Imagine the absolute nightmare of them having to open up a 10 + year old portal to allow some few thousand applicants to submit. This is gunna be a nightmare
Agreed logically they will know that all applicants before July 17th didn't have this, and will send out an email apologizing for updating the secondary questions (probably saying its an accident) and that no one has to answer the question.

However, someone in power might just say something like, "oh, yeah thats annoying, but they can just send in their responses as updates and those will get attached to their applications. I really think its important we get their answer on this topic". Because **** us.

So we're just gonna have to wait and see. I wouldn't think any more about it until they send out a mass email, enough people have been affected that they're going to have to address everyone at some point

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed logically they will know that all applicants before July 17th didn't have this, and will send out an email apologizing for updating the secondary questions (probably saying its an accident) and that no one has to answer the question.

However, someone in power might just say something like, "oh, yeah thats annoying, but they can just send in their responses as updates and those will get attached to their applications. I really think its important we get their answer on this topic". Because **** us.

So we're just gonna have to wait and see. I wouldn't think any more about it until they send out a mass email, enough people have been affected that they're going to have to address everyone at some point
I guess they could technically just unsubmit all of our applications

As someone who looked at this thread during prewriting and saw that they took the prompt out, so completely deleted everything I had written for it.....I really hope they just decide not to use it

Reactions: 3 users

Do they even have an update option on their app? I think they say that if we have to update them on what we're doing next year we are supposed to email them. I don't think they have the patience to go through thousands of emails just to attach a short paragraph on why we're diverse to each application (at least I wouldn't)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Do they even have an update option on their app? I think they say that if we have to update them on what we're doing next year we are supposed to email them. I don't think they have the patience to go through thousands of emails just to attach a short paragraph on why we're diverse to each application (at least I wouldn't)
Isn’t the missing prompt “when you were the other” not a diversity essay?

they do have an update option, but the missing prompt was the diversity essay. I (and im sure many others) put our diversity essay in for the "additional comments" because that third essay wasn't available. they would have to allow resubmissions if they wanted to address that aspect of the problem

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t the missing prompt “when you were the other” not a diversity essay?
I may have interpreted it wrong but I though it was a diversity prompt just worded differently. Especially because they mention social justice and diversity at the beginning of the prompt

I may have interpreted it wrong but I though it was a diversity prompt just worded differently. Especially because they mention social justice and diversity at the beginning of the prompt
Its like slightly different, you shouldn't just copy and paste a diversity prompt because you have to make sure you're talking about being "the other", but yeah it will hit on many of the same themes as a typical diversity response

they do have an update option, but the missing prompt was the diversity essay. I (and im sure many others) put our diversity essay in for the "additional comments" because that third essay wasn't available. they would have to allow resubmissions if they wanted to address that aspect of the problem
I took a different approach for that question since I had to address something but that does seem to be an issue. Do people who already wrote a general diversity essay but not the one for the prompt have to write another one? This is definitely going to be a big mess for the admissions office

I added my long version of the diversity essay into the "additional comments" section, but I don't think it's exactly framed in a way that would fully reflect a "the other" prompt.

I added my long version of the diversity essay into the "additional comments" section, but I don't think it's exactly framed in a way that would fully reflect a "the other" prompt.
Sameish. I used it as a combination adversity/diversity, but being Low SES/first gen really isn’t an “other” type of essay. My other topic is completely different.

We making bets on when the email gets sent out?

Administrative assistant probably arrives in 10 minutes, reads the first few emails and dismisses the stupid premeds and their stupid mistakes, gets to the tenth one and realizes this is some serious “we messed up” type of territory. Takes maybe a half hour to get the admin involved, maybe another half hour for a brief lawyer consult just to make sure they are wording things in a way which won’t cause downstream backlash, another hour or so for IT consultation so they can get ITs input on how they should go about things, another hour to integrate everything and make sure all the ducks are in a row, then send.

My bet is on 11 AM Eastern time is when we get the email. IDK what will be on it, but that is my bet. Any other hypotheses?

Administrative assistant probably arrives in 10 minutes, reads the first few emails and dismisses the stupid premeds and their stupid mistakes, gets to the tenth one and realizes this is some serious “we messed up” type of territory. Takes maybe a half hour to get the admin involved, maybe another half hour for a brief lawyer consult just to make sure they are wording things in a way which won’t cause downstream backlash, another hour or so for IT consultation so they can get ITs input on how they should go about things, another hour to integrate everything and make sure all the ducks are in a row, then send.

My bet is on 11 AM Eastern time is when we get the email. IDK what will be on it, but that is my bet. Any other hypotheses?
I dunno. I think maybe a NYT article will be needed before it gets their attention.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

I like your timeline but also things don't take that fast in these admission offices so I would give it at least an hour or two more (if not 3 weeks)

1626708912903.jpeg

Yeah, maybe calling will be more effective?
I emailed them over the weekend and called just now with no answer. I think as many people as possible should contact them so that they know this isn't just a couple of us who are affected.

I don't understand why people are freaking out so much over this.... Calling them a million times is not a good look, just relax and wait for them to correct their mistake. TBH whoever they marked complete before they added the 3rd prompt should be exempt from having to write that diversity essay.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't understand why people are freaking out so much over this.... Calling them a million times is not a good look, just relax and wait for them to correct their mistake. TBH whoever they marked complete before they added the 3rd prompt should be exempt from having to write that diversity essay.
Yeah, I agree. I think it would be an administrative nightmare to ask all the applicants to write the third essay considering that
  1. Many used their (longer) diversity essay in the "additional information" essay so many would complain about redundancy and the need to rewrite BOTH
  2. What are they going to do, reopen the portal? Would our application be put on hold as they review the later submitted secondaries? Alternatively, they could pause ALL app reviews (which they wouldn't do) until people could submit the third essay to keep it fair. I can't imagine how much admin heat they would get for that.
Personally, I sent them a gentle email Saturday in case they, at that point, couldn't tell it was such a systemic issue. Calling will send you to voicemail--their voicemails always go to their email accounts anyways.

Might be in the minority here, but I actually want to write that third prompt. The more the adcoms can read about us the better our chances of standing out from the crowd.

Might be in the minority here, but I actually want to write that third prompt. The more the adcoms can read about us the better our chances of standing out from the crowd.
Perfectly fine with writing it, but would not want to be put back into queue for application review!

I submitted July 10th. On 'Status' it marks my secondary as having been submitted, but when I check the portal, I have the option to edit my essays (including the new one) and submit again! Lmfao anyone else having this problem? What to do?

I submitted July 10th. On 'Status' it marks my secondary as having been submitted, but when I check the portal, I have the option to edit my essays (including the new one) and submit again! Lmfao anyone else having this problem? What to do?
Interesting, my essays are still locked, and I cannot edit them. Not totally sure to be honest

Edit: I am now able to edit my essays

Last edited:
Interesting, my essays are still locked, and I cannot edit them. Not totally sure to be honest
I'm not going to touch it at the moment. I think the best course of action is to just wait until we have some concrete communication from the school.

Submitted 7/7, mine is now open again too. I'm guessing they're gonna send us an email soon telling us they reopened the portal so we can all do the new essay...

• Sad
Submitted 7/7, mine is now open again too. I'm guessing they're gonna send us an email soon telling us they reopened the portal so we can all do the new essay...
Just checked mine too, I can now write the essay too

Edit: status is the same too since submission

Are you guys just gonna do the essay right now and submit? Or wait for an email from the school.

Wait for directions, everyone. Wait...for.....directions.

We are writing to let you know that, due to a technical error, a question was omitted from your secondary application for Geisel. We have re-opened your secondary to allow you to answer this question. Please log back in to your secondary, complete the prompt below and re-submit:

• Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”.

Thank you for your attention to this matter and we’re sorry for adding one more step to an already stressful process. Please note that answering this question will not change your application completion date.
You have got to be kidding me.

• Love
Write the essay, if you need to change the anything else essay then do so while you can, resubmit, won't change your place.