2021-2022 Eastern Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is no II definitely a rejection? Just want to know if I should hold out hope

Nope. It's a long cycle (interviews start in September and end like March or April). They don't send every interview out on the same day (imagine getting swamped with ~300+ calls in a day).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No II either 🥲 Shocker I felt this school was the perfect fit for me..

Reactions: 1 user
I got an II on 08/26. OOS, 2.85 ugrad GPA, 3.74 grad GPA, 517, ORM, and complete 08/01.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my first R of the cycle, pre-secondary. Does anyone know what the screening criteria is? The email they sent said:
"EVMS receives numerous applications each year; however, we do not have enough seats in the class to accept everyone. After reviewing your application, the MD Admissions Committee is unable to offer you a secondary application for the Doctor of Medicine Program this admissions cycle." I assume it's not a stat screen because I have above 500 MCAT and a 3.77 cGPA/3.9 sGPA. I saw someone mention a holistic screen, but my extracurriculars are pretty nice 3,000+ clinical hours, 2,500+ research hours. Anybody know what they use to screen, nervous it's going to affect my chances at the other schools I am applying if it's something like grammer or they think my app is disingenuous.

Just got my first R of the cycle, pre-secondary. Does anyone know what the screening criteria is? The email they sent said:
"EVMS receives numerous applications each year; however, we do not have enough seats in the class to accept everyone. After reviewing your application, the MD Admissions Committee is unable to offer you a secondary application for the Doctor of Medicine Program this admissions cycle." I assume it's not a stat screen because I have above 500 MCAT and a 3.77 cGPA/3.9 sGPA. I saw someone mention a holistic screen, but my extracurriculars are pretty nice 3,000+ clinical hours, 2,500+ research hours. Anybody know what they use to screen, nervous it's going to affect my chances at the other schools I am applying if it's something like grammer or they think my app is disingenuous.
My friend received that email too. Good luck my friend with your other schools.

Me: *Sad because only crickets from EVMS*
Goku656:
If you haven't received an email, you haven't been rejected. EVMS has been handing out R's without reservation so until IIs start, no news is good news as far as EVMS is concerned.
Me: *hoards all the crickets*

Supp obtained 8/2, supp subbed 8/9, confirmation email 8/10. Here's to hoping all the EVMS cricketeers hear II's by at least Labor Day!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hello EVMS applicants!

I am a current M1, and I am posting here because this thread was incredibly helpful to me last year, especially a post from an M1 about the school. So here's some info:

General curriculum: They switched up the anatomy curriculum this year as part of a long-term updating plan and because the previous anatomy professor retired. The goal is to make it less memorization focused (though still some in there lol) and more integrative (thinking about how different groups work together or what causes a clinical presentation). This stands out in the schedule via the "case presentations," where we work in our triads (two groups of three people are assigned to each lab table) where we present both the healthy structure and function of the area we have been studying and then what's gone wrong with an assigned case. The structure of the class also is more collaborative than I anticipated going into it. Partially because of COVID, they keep our groups similar, but I have been working with the same people in dissection as in clinical skills and ultrasound. We also take a collaborative quiz at the end of the week, rather than having to do it independently. The curriculum is scheduled so that we take one class at a time. So We're taking anatomy for the first 9 weeks and foundational sciences for the second half of the semester.

Weekly schedule: 1.5 hours of anatomy M-W. 1.5 hours for case presentation/independent work in the anatomy lab T. Collaborative quiz in anatomy lab F for an hour. Every other week we have 2 hours of ultrasound. Approximately every other week 3 hours of clinical skills (work in the simulation center with a "patient" actor). There are also interspersed mandatory live lectures, no more than 2hrs work a week, and the prerecorded (COVID) lectures to do on our own time (many hours lol).

I hope this is helpful and feel free to ask questions.

PS: this post is my study break on the day before the first exam ;)

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
@LesterHallUser
Thanks so much for the info. Anatomy was definitely easier when I could integrate the information for more holistic learning so this is welcome news.

I have a small laundry list of questions:
Do you like the community there?
How easy is it to join research projects you're super passionate about?
Are you IS or OOS?
What were your stats?
When did you submit your secondary, and how long did it take to get an interview?

Thanks again and congrats on medical school! Good luck for your test tomorrow!!!

@LesterHallUser
Thanks so much for the info. Anatomy was definitely easier when I could integrate the information for more holistic learning so this is welcome news.

I have a small laundry list of questions:
Do you like the community there?
How easy is it to join research projects you're super passionate about?
Are you IS or OOS?
What were your stats?
When did you submit your secondary, and how long did it take to get an interview?

Thanks again and congrats on medical school! Good luck for your test tomorrow!!!
I do like the community--in terms of students, I've heard mention of some "gunners" in our class, but I haven't met any. The community focus admissions talks about definitely comes out in student/student student/teacher interactions. People are just nice. Not as competitive as you'd expect med students to be. Example that comes to mind is that we have an all class group message, and the former med masters current m1s and some m2s regularly post helpful websites, old lectures, and slides of practice questions that have been put together by former classes from the textbooks. The surrounding neighborhood is decent too--I am a woman student and I feel reasonably safe walking my dog at night. There are also plenty of parks, restaurants, etc.

IDK about research projects, sorry! But I have been informed by my "big sibling" (M2 mentor) that I should get involved sooner rather than later, and they told me it's fairly simple to get involved.

OOS 515 3.8. Submitted early august??? (within 5 days of receiving). Interview came in early September??? (Call right when you get the email! I was in class and waited two hours to call, and at that point all the scheduled slots were filled and so my interview ended up being maybe a month later) ***anecdotal advice on situation that may have been due to COVID*** I then sat on a waitlist until long after my SDN thread suggested the waitlist movement was done.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to ease some of your anxieties and let y’all know that I am a current M2 at EVMS and did not receive an interview invite until February of my cycle. It’s a long process but it does not mean you’re not going to be successful if you did not get an invite in the first round. Anecdotally, I’ve seen EVMS appreciate students who show they are sincerely interested in their school by sending updates, new LORs, letters of interest (message sent prior to interview invite saying how interested you are in the school) and letter of intent (after an interview saying that you’d absolutely attend if accepted). If this school seems like a good fit for you, let them know and it could definitely help your chances.

Reactions: 10 users
Just wanted to ease some of your anxieties and let y’all know that I am a current M2 at EVMS and did not receive an interview invite until February of my cycle. It’s a long process but it does not mean you’re not going to be successful if you did not get an invite in the first round. Anecdotally, I’ve seen EVMS appreciate students who show they are sincerely interested in their school by sending updates, new LORs, letters of interest (message sent prior to interview invite saying how interested you are in the school) and letter of intent (after an interview saying that you’d absolutely attend if accepted). If this school seems like a good fit for you, let them know and it could definitely help your chances.

Did you, yourself, do anything of that nature?

Members don't see this ad :)
complete early on in the process?

In state applicant, who just finished a post bacc program. I was interviewed and waitlisted at EVMS last year, but haven't received a secondary and they've had my application since 8/3. Anyone else still waiting for a secondary?

IS LM 74 and grew up 15 min from the school. Complete 7/6 and still radio silence....

• Care
Do you have a lot of community service/volunteering? If so I'm shocked you didn't get a secondary.

Do you have a lot of community service/volunteering? If so I'm shocked you didn't get a secondary.
Could be the way they reflected on their experiences. The PS might’ve skewed them too, who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

It might be the MCAT. 500 is a general cutoff for most schools that screen but I know Wake Forest for example has a screen above a 500.

probably almost 400 volunteer hours. I got to volunteer with MSF last summer which I thought was a pretty sick volunteer opportunity and would earn me brownie points. Stinks, but there are still plenty of schools left. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Pre-secondary R yesterday
- URM
- 3.6 overall gpa , 3.2 science gpa
- 507 mcat
- 2 masters degrees
- VA resident
- 6000 health volunteer
- 4000 non-health volunteer
- developed the only dc homeless vaccine campaign for a major organization this year.

Denied from all my state schools yet received competitive secondaries from oos? Completely confused

this is a weird field tbh

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yepp, all of it. EVMS was my top choice and I made sure they knew that by showing continued interested throughout the cycle
hi, how did you send updates to evms? it seems there isn't an option on the secondary portal to upload more documents after you submit your picture

pre-secondary R last week. kinda surprised considering last cycle i got an interview and waitlisted? had more to my app this year too.

• Care
Hey guys, got an II yesterday (9/9)! Scheduled it for the 24th

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone who was complete in late July/early august heard anything back yet?

I submitted my secondary 8/17 and got my interview invite 8/27. It was pretty quick for me so I am sure they will get to y’all soon.

II this morning! Was a high-priority waitlisted applicant last year and I'm feeling so excited to be given another chance!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
II first of the cycle!! Submitted 9/1 URM 512 3.9

• Love
II today, complete 7/20 ORM 509 3.85 FAP recipient, SES disadvantaged!!

• Love
Super excited for everyone who's receiving interviews in this wave -- I'm stuck in pre-secondary (probably R) territory, but I'm living vicariously through you guys :love:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know the structure of the interviews here? I believe they are ~45 minutes but I was wondering if it's open/closed file, students vs faculty, etc.

Does anyone know the structure of the interviews here? I believe they are ~45 minutes but I was wondering if it's open/closed file, students vs faculty, etc.
Current student here. Yes, ~45 min interviews. They try to have at least 3 people on a panel -- 1 will for sure be an adcom member who is usually faculty, then the other 2 will either be a student, community physician, or basic scientist affiliated with the school. However, depending on schedules, you may only have 2 interviewers. The adcom member is the only person with open file (able to see all of your metrics), whereas the other people on the panel will only get to see your personal statement, activities, and secondary essays.

Reactions: 7 users
Current student here. Yes, ~45 min interviews. They try to have at least 3 people on a panel -- 1 will for sure be an adcom member who is usually faculty, then the other 2 will either be a student, community physician, or basic scientist affiliated with the school. However, depending on schedules, you may only have 2 interviewers. The adcom member is the only person with open file (able to see all of your metrics), whereas the other people on the panel will only get to see your personal statement, activities, and secondary essays.
Thank you so much! Do you have any idea as to the response time after interviews? Can they respond with a hold until further notice?