You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Geisinger Commonwealth
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How often does the committee meet? I was put on the defer list. Super disappointed.
Anxiously waiting.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II on 8/2, interview on 9/15, ORM, LM 77, IS
Accepted, email received at 1:37
Accepted, email received at 1:37
Do you find out at the time of your acceptance about the Abigail Geisinger program too ?
I think every month based on last year's thread!How often does the committee meet? I was put on the defer list. Super disappointed.
Curious, too. I have not.Any 9/27 interviewers hear back yet?
Has anyone that interviewed on or before sept. 15th not received a decisions yet?
Also were there any rejections or did they only send out As and deferrals?
Also were there any rejections or did they only send out As and deferrals?
I interviewed on the 15th and haven’t heard anything 🙁Has anyone that interviewed on or before sept. 15th not received a decisions yet?
Also were there any rejections or did they only send out As and deferrals?
One of my friends hasn't either, same day no decisionI interviewed on the 15th and haven’t heard anything 🙁
Just found out my app was deferred to the next committee meeting. Really bummed but trying to hold out hope.
How did you find that out?Just found out my app was deferred to the next committee meeting. Really bummed but trying to hold out hope.
I got an email this morningHow did you find that out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
siloaddict
Full Member
Is Geisinger a true P/F in the preclinical years or is there an internal ranking?
Internally ranked. Someone just asked this question in the virtual visitation day!Is Geisinger a true P/F in the preclinical years or is there an internal ranking?
My friend currently attends Geisinger and he was told there is no internal rank, which was a major reason he chose it. Is there only internal rank in the clinical years, and no internal rank in pre-clinical? Perhaps that's where the confusion is.
Edit: So I talked to my friend at Geisinger, and it seems M1/M2 are definitely pass/fail with no internal rank. However, M3/M4 have grades, so perhaps Geisinger does internal rank from M3 and M4 grades, which is conveyed through MSPE letter wording.
Edit: So I talked to my friend at Geisinger, and it seems M1/M2 are definitely pass/fail with no internal rank. However, M3/M4 have grades, so perhaps Geisinger does internal rank from M3 and M4 grades, which is conveyed through MSPE letter wording.
Last edited:
My friend currently attends Geisinger and he was told there is no internal rank, which was a major reason he chose it. Is there only internal rank in the clinical years, and no internal rank in pre-clinical? Perhaps that's where the confusion is.
Edit: So I talked to my friend at Geisinger, and it seems M1/M2 are definitely pass/fail with no internal rank. However, M3/M4 have grades, so perhaps Geisinger does internal rank from M3 and M4 grades, which is conveyed through MSPE letter wording.
Michelle Schmude, the Associate Dean for Admissions, specifically said today that both preclinical and clerkship grades will be used to determine internal rank and be reflected in your MSPE letter. She used the example that one student may have a 79% average and another a 92% and the MSPE letter should distinguish between the two.
medapp9897
Full Member
Pre II hold, OOS, complete 9/20
Well... that's definitely a problem for me.Michelle Schmude, the Associate Dean for Admissions, specifically said today that both preclinical and clerkship grades will be used to determine internal rank and be reflected in your MSPE letter. She used the example that one student may have a 79% average and another a 92% and the MSPE letter should distinguish between the two.
Thanks for the info.
Virtual visitation? That was the most interview-like four hour experience I've had yet.Internally ranked. Someone just asked this question in the virtual visitation day!
my friend was wondering if they use events like this to subtly gauge who to take off the waitlistVirtual visitation? That was the most interview-like four hour experience I've had yet.
I thought it was relaxed and informative.Virtual visitation? That was the most interview-like four hour experience I've had yet.
I would agree, with the exception of the two active learning group sessions. Scrambling around like rabbits over two community-based case studies for tenish minutes at a time with your assigned small group, then feeling compelled to present our findings to 140-ppl as a means to impress admissions--was not 'relaxed and informative'. I enjoyed it and it rung home quite well their active-learning curriculum. But like I said, it felt more like an interview than anything else.I thought it was relaxed and informative.
I genuinely think it was just an exercise to demonstrate how classes are structured within their curriculum, so people can see whether they like that style. No one was evaluating us.I would agree, with the exception of the two active learning group sessions. Scrambling around like rabbits over two community-based case studies for tenish minutes at a time with your assigned small group, then feeling compelled to present our findings to 140-ppl as a means to impress admissions--was not 'relaxed and informative'. I enjoyed it and it rung home quite well their active-learning curriculum. But like I said, it felt more like an interview than anything else.
Red_Thorne
Full Member
Yeah, I can verify this as I got my A without having attended one (stating this so that anyone else deciding to attend the virtual event can take a breather and relax). But sheesh that sounded stressful.I genuinely think it was just an exercise to demonstrate how classes are structured within their curriculum, so people can see whether they like that style. No one was evaluating us.
Edited to say: Well I guess the stress level depended on how one perceived the event as it was put in the email that it was optional. So if one really internalized that I could see how it would lead to being more informative rather than stressful. Oh and congrats on your A too!!!
Just wanted to say there must have been some confusion in wording as the Phase 1 curriculum (first 18 months of preclinical work) is 100% True P/F and not reflected in MSPE, only in Phase 2 and 3 is there a ranking system Honors/High pass etc that counts for MSPE, honors societies etc. There is no overall class rank. I've confirmed this with multiple faculty here and I am a student here.Michelle Schmude, the Associate Dean for Admissions, specifically said today that both preclinical and clerkship grades will be used to determine internal rank and be reflected in your MSPE letter. She used the example that one student may have a 79% average and another a 92% and the MSPE letter should distinguish between the two.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was at the infosession today as well and there wasn’t any ambiguity in her response. P/F on the surface, but always an untold grade on the backend, during all phases. I’m leaning toward her response. Also, how is a person ever targeted for tutoring during Phase 1 if it’s true P/F? The person needs to fail an exam first? Ouch if that’s true.Just wanted to say there must have been some confusion in wording as the Phase 1 curriculum (first 18 months of preclinical work) is 100% True P/F and not reflected in MSPE, only in Phase 2 and 3 is there a ranking system Honors/High pass etc that counts for MSPE, honors societies etc. There is no overall class rank. I've confirmed this with multiple faculty here and I am a student here.
Meanwhile my friend who is also a med student at Geisinger, believes that the entire curriculum, including Phase 1, 2, and 3 has no internal rank. Many of his peers share his belief.Just wanted to say there must have been some confusion in wording as the Phase 1 curriculum (first 18 months of preclinical work) is 100% True P/F and not reflected in MSPE, only in Phase 2 and 3 is there a ranking system Honors/High pass etc that counts for MSPE, honors societies etc. There is no overall class rank. I've confirmed this with multiple faculty here and I am a student here.
What is going on here lol. Clearly Geisinger has had a major miscommunication.
I will put the disclaimer that I can confirm true P/F for the current first year class, and I'm not 100% it isn't being changed for the incoming class. It does seem like there is miscommunication here then, but I have it in writing for the 1st year class very explicitly that there is no internal class ranking and preclinical years are true P/F. The exams need to average out to 70 for passing, and 75 for a warning, so disciplinary action can still occur if you do not reach those benchmarks, but if you improve you could potentially still get your overall exam average above a 70 or have to remediate over the summer. Very few students are even in consideration for this.
Another disclaimer - policies on grading have changed within the past year, including for how things like AOA are given out. The curriculum has also changed considerably in the past year, so it's not unreasonable different people may not have up to date information.
Do you mind sharing how AOA is determined for your class?Another disclaimer - policies on grading have changed within the past year, including for how things like AOA are given out. The curriculum has also changed considerably in the past year, so it's not unreasonable different people may not have up to date information.
I can't quite remember the specific wording from when it was talked about in person other than it won't be strictly off top percentage of scores. In terms of writing, we're told you need at least one Honors on an M3 clerkship and to otherwise exhibit certain traits (preclinical faculty are polled too for nominations). Should be more inclusive.
My application was complete on 6/28 and I have not heard anything from them. OOS, ORM, 3.70, 512, very strong ECs
+1My application was complete on 6/28 and I have not heard anything from them. OOS, ORM, 3.70, 512, very strong ECs
I am suppose to attend the visitation day on Monday 10/25 but I haven't received any link, How did you sign on and did they send you an email ahead of time?I was at the infosession today as well and there wasn’t any ambiguity in her response. P/F on the surface, but always an untold grade on the backend, during all phases. I’m leaning toward her response. Also, how is a person ever targeted for tutoring during Phase 1 if it’s true P/F? The person needs to fail an exam first? Ouch if that’s true.
They should email you a zoom link a few days beforeI am suppose to attend the visitation day on Monday 10/25 but I haven't received any link, How did you sign on and did they send you an email ahead of time?
My interview is in January, does interviewing so late put me at a disadvantage?
Generally yes, as the more seats are filled, the less spaces there are to accept less people. The adcoms here generally phrase it as "the more time goes on, the more standards increase".My interview is in January, does interviewing so late put me at a disadvantage?
If you're a solid candidate it won't affect you much, my guess is it mostly hurts those on the borderline, and even then I wouldn't say its a major factor- your interview performance and ECs and stats matter much more.
palmtree137
Full Member
Attending the virtual recruitment day this coming Monday (the 25th). For those that completed one already, what was the dress code? Not sure if interview day attire would be overdoing it but definitely don't want to be under-dressed either .
Also, what was the general feel of the whole day? I figured it was supposed to be casual and informative, but I've seen a few people in this thread saying it seemed like another evaluation process. Thanks in advance!
Also, what was the general feel of the whole day? I figured it was supposed to be casual and informative, but I've seen a few people in this thread saying it seemed like another evaluation process. Thanks in advance!
I attended the recruitment day on 10/18. The majority of people were wearing blazers/interview attire but were definitely others that were more casual. The day felt pretty casual with the exception of one presentation/group activity that people were referencing. However, I don't think the goal of the presentation/activity was to be an evaluation. It was more of a demonstration of small group/collaborative teaching that Geisinger uses.Attending the virtual recruitment day this coming Monday (the 25th). For those that completed one already, what was the dress code? Not sure if interview day attire would be overdoing it but definitely don't want to be under-dressed either .
Also, what was the general feel of the whole day? I figured it was supposed to be casual and informative, but I've seen a few people in this thread saying it seemed like another evaluation process. Thanks in advance!
siloaddict
Full Member
Definitely not an evaluation. There were about 150 of us, so I don't think it means that much considering like ~50 students also kept their cameras off during it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got rejected pre-II
Pre-II R, complete Oct 6, OOS
caffienefiend
Full Member
Pre-II Hold OOS, no ties. Does anyone know if this is a soft R?
peneloperun
New Member
I got an email saying I was deferred, is this the same as a hold?Pre-II Hold OOS, no ties. Does anyone know if this is a soft R?