2021-2022 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In-state II received on 8/5!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did the email about different program offerings give anyone else a heart attack this morning lol

Does the PURCH track preclude you from regular MD admissions? I.e, if I am not a good enough candidate for and am not considered for PURCH, does that prevent me from being considered for regular MD as well?
Application to the PURCH track does not preclude you from the regular MD admissions. If the PURCH program does not consider you and the main program accepts you, then you will be accepted to the regular MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
II received just now, IS :) So excited!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II! Received it just now. IS Complete 7/10/21.

II also! IS as well :) complete 7/24 so on the late side, am very confused hahaha

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
IS II, anyone else only have option to book for next Tuesday? seems like short notice😂

IS II, anyone else only have option to book for next Tuesday? seems like short notice😂
When I booked mine, it was only Tuesday or Thursday so it’s def filling up fast. Super short notice indeed /:

anyone know if we can use pen and paper to take notes for virtual MMI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they change the interview format recentl? I saw that interview feedback post on sdn had questions that are usually asked during traditional one to one interviews, but this year they have MmIs only. Do they ask those questions during MmIs? Or did they change itnerview format

anyone know if we can use pen and paper to take notes for virtual MMI?
I asked a friend about this and she said when the MMI interviews were in person here they did let you take notes during the two minutes prior to the response. So I plan on using a pen and paper!

II received just now! My first MD II of the cycle, so excited! Complete 7/22, OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they have a timer on the screen during the interview? Or do they just tell you when your 2 minutes are up for reading the scenario and your 6 minutes for answering the question

Does anyone know if they have a timer on the screen during the interview? Or do they just tell you when your 2 minutes are up for reading the scenario and your 6 minutes for answering the question
There's no timer. It is on zoom and there will be a broadcast message that appears to let the interviewer and interviewee know when the two minutes is up and when there are 30 seconds left to wrap things up.

Has anyone interviewed for the PURCH track yet? Is their interview MMI as well? Also is the whole interview for regular MD just the MMI, or is their a part where you discuss your application as well?

Has anyone interviewed for the PURCH track yet? Is their interview MMI as well? Also is the whole interview for regular MD just the MMI, or is their a part where you discuss your application as well?
I am MD only but the entire interview is MMI. I was very impressed by their interview tbh, they really emphasized that their intention is for you to be relaxed and to just have a conversation with you. Honestly way more low-key than I expected from a med school interview (in the best way). Good luck!

All interviews, main track and PURCH, are MMIs. There is no part where you discuss your application.

II received about an hour ago!! :D OOS and no ties

II last thursday! OOS, no ties, super average stats, complete 7/10

For those of you with interview invites, were you able to schedule your interview immediately? I received an II this morning and when I went to schedule it after work, it said that there were no slots available at the moment. Has this happened to anyone else?

For those of you with interview invites, were you able to schedule your interview immediately? I received an II this morning and when I went to schedule it after work, it said that there were no slots available at the moment. Has this happened to anyone else?
I didn’t experience this but when I scheduled my interview a few weeks ago there were only 2 dates available immediately after receiving the invite (literally logged on ASAP lol). So I would wait to see if more dates open up or email admissions, or both.

As an aside for people who receive IIs in the future, definitely don’t wait to schedule your interview if you can. I was told that like an hour after scheduling mine there was only one date left, so don’t delay.

I didn’t experience this but when I scheduled my interview a few weeks ago there were only 2 dates available immediately after receiving the invite (literally logged on ASAP lol). So I would wait to see if more dates open up or email admissions, or both.

As an aside for people who receive IIs in the future, definitely don’t wait to schedule your interview if you can. I was told that like an hour after scheduling mine there was only one date left, so don’t delay.
Thanks I appreciate your input. Hopefully more dates open up soon!

EDIT: I followed up with admissions and new dates were shortly added. Make sure to reach out to admissions for anyone else in my position.

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate your input. Hopefully more dates open up soon!

EDIT: I followed up with admissions and new dates were shortly added. Make sure to reach out to admissions for anyone else in my position.
How far out are interviews being scheduled?

Application to the PURCH track does not preclude you from the regular MD admissions. If the PURCH program does not consider you and the main program accepts you, then you will be accepted to the regular MD program.
On this note, does anyone know how long it takes the PURCH track interviews to start rolling? Or when they forward you on to either the MD or MSTP program if they don’t want you?

Did anyone who received II's attend the information session yesterday? And if so, how formal/informal was it?

I know it might sound ridiculous, but should I be worried if there is no reply to a post interview thank you letter? It was very brief one but I'm worried because I think the subtle gesture and facial expressions of interviewers and admissions were not good.. esp toward me I think. Before that, I asked for rescheduling of interview by email but no response too.

I know it might sound ridiculous, but should I be worried if there is no reply to a post interview thank you letter? It was very brief one but I'm worried because I think the subtle gesture and facial expressions of interviewers and admissions were not good.. esp toward me I think. Before that, I asked for rescheduling of interview by email but no response too.
I hope that's not something to worry about because most of mine don't reply to my thank you emails lol

On this note, does anyone know how long it takes the PURCH track interviews to start rolling? Or when they forward you on to either the MD or MSTP program if they don’t want you?
PURCH interviews started this month.

I am not sure if I understand your second question correctly. However, I believe the acceptance/waitlist/rejection letter includes information for each program at once. At least that is true for MD + PURCH. I am not sure about the MSTP program.

PURCH interviews started this month.

I am not sure if I understand your second question correctly. However, I believe the acceptance/waitlist/rejection letter includes information for each program at once. At least that is true for MD + PURCH. I am not sure about the MSTP program.
Thank you! So PURCH interviews have already begun being sent out?

And I meant pre-interview for the second question. If PURCH doesn’t like you but still believes you competitive for your respective program, when do they send you on?

Has anyone who already interviewed for regular MD received any further communication from them? I thought we were supposed to receive an email from them a few weeks after stating if we were still under consideration or not.

Has anyone who already interviewed for regular MD received any further communication from them? I thought we were supposed to receive an email from them a few weeks after stating if we were still under consideration or not.
I have not received anything yet as well. I thought these emails came out in October/November last year (after the first day acceptances could be released) but I may be wrong.

I have not received anything yet as well. I thought these emails came out in October/November last year (after the first day acceptances could be released) but I may be wrong.
AAMC rules are that no school can give out an acceptance until 10/15.... This means yes schools could hypothetically give you an R, WL, or active consideration before then.... however I haven't ever seen or heard of a school giving out post-II decisions until 10/15

Thank you! So PURCH interviews have already begun being sent out?

And I meant pre-interview for the second question. If PURCH doesn’t like you but still believes you competitive for your respective program, when do they send you on?
Yes, PURCH interviews have already begun.

If you applied for PURCH, you have two interviews scheduled for you. One is for PURCH, and the other one is for the Main Program. At least, this was how things were done before Covid. After you interview for both, PURCH and Main Track make decisions. You need to be accepted to Main Track to be able to attend UMass. Then if PURCH has also accepted you, you will get into PURCH. See below for what I quoted from the website:

"PURCH Interview Process:​

Those applying to the PURCH Track will be reviewed for both the PURCH Track and the traditional MD program. MD/PhD applicants may also choose to be considered for PURCH.
If you are invited to interview, you will participate in a 2-day interview process that involved one day at the main campus in Worcester and another day at our regional campus in Springfield, UMMS-Baystate. MD/PhD applicants interviewing for PURCH will have a third interview day at our main campus in Worcester as well.
At each campus, you will participate in the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI), meet first and second year medical students and/or residents, receive an overview of UMMS and the PURCH Track, and take a tour of each campus."

Here is the link: PURCH Track

If this year is like previous years, the interviewers are instructed to try to maintain a neutral expression, which you may have interpreted as negative.

I am interviewing tomorrow—will the Zoom link be sent sometime today? Just wondering if I need to reach out to admissions for that

I am interviewing tomorrow—will the Zoom link be sent sometime today? Just wondering if I need to reach out to admissions for that
I'm trying to figure that out too. It says it'll be available on the portal an hour before the MMI begins under My Confirmed Interviews.

Nope, the Zoom link is provided in the portal.

There should be zoom link in the interviews tab where you scheduled it. Log in to that secondary website andaee interview tab.

Should I still hold out hope if I haven’t received an II by now? I’m getting very anxious about not hearing anything back. I did submit my secondary a little on the later side as well.
It’s September.