You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Massachusetts
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
lookingup_22
Full Member
Did the email about different program offerings give anyone else a heart attack this morning lol
Application to the PURCH track does not preclude you from the regular MD admissions. If the PURCH program does not consider you and the main program accepts you, then you will be accepted to the regular MD program.Does the PURCH track preclude you from regular MD admissions? I.e, if I am not a good enough candidate for and am not considered for PURCH, does that prevent me from being considered for regular MD as well?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II received just now, IS 🙂 So excited!
goatgoat4
Full Member
Congrats!! Mind telling when you were complete?II received just now, IS 🙂 So excited!
Complete 7/8Congrats!! Mind telling when you were complete?
starlight2021
New Member
II also! IS as well 🙂 complete 7/24 so on the late side, am very confused hahaha
When I booked mine, it was only Tuesday or Thursday so it’s def filling up fast. Super short notice indeed /:IS II, anyone else only have option to book for next Tuesday? seems like short notice😂
NormalUsername42
Full Member
IS, no II. My neuroticism is growing by the hour 

IS II received 8/12, ORM. Complete 7/7.
Did they change the interview format recentl? I saw that interview feedback post on sdn had questions that are usually asked during traditional one to one interviews, but this year they have MmIs only. Do they ask those questions during MmIs? Or did they change itnerview format
I asked a friend about this and she said when the MMI interviews were in person here they did let you take notes during the two minutes prior to the response. So I plan on using a pen and paper!anyone know if we can use pen and paper to take notes for virtual MMI?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II just now as well!! OOS complete 07/23.
I emailed them and they said yes!anyone know if we can use pen and paper to take notes for virtual MMI?
TheIndianMamba
Full Member
Does anyone know if they have a timer on the screen during the interview? Or do they just tell you when your 2 minutes are up for reading the scenario and your 6 minutes for answering the question
There's no timer. It is on zoom and there will be a broadcast message that appears to let the interviewer and interviewee know when the two minutes is up and when there are 30 seconds left to wrap things up.Does anyone know if they have a timer on the screen during the interview? Or do they just tell you when your 2 minutes are up for reading the scenario and your 6 minutes for answering the question
I am MD only but the entire interview is MMI. I was very impressed by their interview tbh, they really emphasized that their intention is for you to be relaxed and to just have a conversation with you. Honestly way more low-key than I expected from a med school interview (in the best way). Good luck!Has anyone interviewed for the PURCH track yet? Is their interview MMI as well? Also is the whole interview for regular MD just the MMI, or is their a part where you discuss your application as well?
All interviews, main track and PURCH, are MMIs. There is no part where you discuss your application.Has anyone interviewed for the PURCH track yet? Is their interview MMI as well? Also is the whole interview for regular MD just the MMI, or is their a part where you discuss your application as well?
Congrats!! When were you complete?!II received about an hour ago!! 😀 OOS and no ties
7/18!Congrats!! When were you complete?!
zoraktheattack
Full Member
For those of you with interview invites, were you able to schedule your interview immediately? I received an II this morning and when I went to schedule it after work, it said that there were no slots available at the moment. Has this happened to anyone else?
I didn’t experience this but when I scheduled my interview a few weeks ago there were only 2 dates available immediately after receiving the invite (literally logged on ASAP lol). So I would wait to see if more dates open up or email admissions, or both.For those of you with interview invites, were you able to schedule your interview immediately? I received an II this morning and when I went to schedule it after work, it said that there were no slots available at the moment. Has this happened to anyone else?
As an aside for people who receive IIs in the future, definitely don’t wait to schedule your interview if you can. I was told that like an hour after scheduling mine there was only one date left, so don’t delay.
zoraktheattack
Full Member
Thanks I appreciate your input. Hopefully more dates open up soon!I didn’t experience this but when I scheduled my interview a few weeks ago there were only 2 dates available immediately after receiving the invite (literally logged on ASAP lol). So I would wait to see if more dates open up or email admissions, or both.
As an aside for people who receive IIs in the future, definitely don’t wait to schedule your interview if you can. I was told that like an hour after scheduling mine there was only one date left, so don’t delay.
EDIT: I followed up with admissions and new dates were shortly added. Make sure to reach out to admissions for anyone else in my position.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
premed 2025
Full Member
How far out are interviews being scheduled?Thanks I appreciate your input. Hopefully more dates open up soon!
EDIT: I followed up with admissions and new dates were shortly added. Make sure to reach out to admissions for anyone else in my position.
zoraktheattack
Full Member
Early-mid october at this pointHow far out are interviews being scheduled?
premed 2025
Full Member
Thank you. Good luck!Early-mid october at this point
On this note, does anyone know how long it takes the PURCH track interviews to start rolling? Or when they forward you on to either the MD or MSTP program if they don’t want you?Application to the PURCH track does not preclude you from the regular MD admissions. If the PURCH program does not consider you and the main program accepts you, then you will be accepted to the regular MD program.
Did anyone who received II's attend the information session yesterday? And if so, how formal/informal was it?
I know it might sound ridiculous, but should I be worried if there is no reply to a post interview thank you letter? It was very brief one but I'm worried because I think the subtle gesture and facial expressions of interviewers and admissions were not good.. esp toward me I think. Before that, I asked for rescheduling of interview by email but no response too.
I hope that's not something to worry about because most of mine don't reply to my thank you emails lolI know it might sound ridiculous, but should I be worried if there is no reply to a post interview thank you letter? It was very brief one but I'm worried because I think the subtle gesture and facial expressions of interviewers and admissions were not good.. esp toward me I think. Before that, I asked for rescheduling of interview by email but no response too.
PURCH interviews started this month.On this note, does anyone know how long it takes the PURCH track interviews to start rolling? Or when they forward you on to either the MD or MSTP program if they don’t want you?
I am not sure if I understand your second question correctly. However, I believe the acceptance/waitlist/rejection letter includes information for each program at once. At least that is true for MD + PURCH. I am not sure about the MSTP program.
Thank you! So PURCH interviews have already begun being sent out?PURCH interviews started this month.
I am not sure if I understand your second question correctly. However, I believe the acceptance/waitlist/rejection letter includes information for each program at once. At least that is true for MD + PURCH. I am not sure about the MSTP program.
And I meant pre-interview for the second question. If PURCH doesn’t like you but still believes you competitive for your respective program, when do they send you on?
Has anyone who already interviewed for regular MD received any further communication from them? I thought we were supposed to receive an email from them a few weeks after stating if we were still under consideration or not.
I have not received anything yet as well. I thought these emails came out in October/November last year (after the first day acceptances could be released) but I may be wrong.Has anyone who already interviewed for regular MD received any further communication from them? I thought we were supposed to receive an email from them a few weeks after stating if we were still under consideration or not.
AAMC rules are that no school can give out an acceptance until 10/15.... This means yes schools could hypothetically give you an R, WL, or active consideration before then.... however I haven't ever seen or heard of a school giving out post-II decisions until 10/15I have not received anything yet as well. I thought these emails came out in October/November last year (after the first day acceptances could be released) but I may be wrong.
Yes, PURCH interviews have already begun.Thank you! So PURCH interviews have already begun being sent out?
And I meant pre-interview for the second question. If PURCH doesn’t like you but still believes you competitive for your respective program, when do they send you on?
If you applied for PURCH, you have two interviews scheduled for you. One is for PURCH, and the other one is for the Main Program. At least, this was how things were done before Covid. After you interview for both, PURCH and Main Track make decisions. You need to be accepted to Main Track to be able to attend UMass. Then if PURCH has also accepted you, you will get into PURCH. See below for what I quoted from the website:
"PURCH Interview Process:
Those applying to the PURCH Track will be reviewed for both the PURCH Track and the traditional MD program. MD/PhD applicants may also choose to be considered for PURCH.If you are invited to interview, you will participate in a 2-day interview process that involved one day at the main campus in Worcester and another day at our regional campus in Springfield, UMMS-Baystate. MD/PhD applicants interviewing for PURCH will have a third interview day at our main campus in Worcester as well.
At each campus, you will participate in the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI), meet first and second year medical students and/or residents, receive an overview of UMMS and the PURCH Track, and take a tour of each campus."
Here is the link: PURCH Track
If this year is like previous years, the interviewers are instructed to try to maintain a neutral expression, which you may have interpreted as negative.I know it might sound ridiculous, but should I be worried if there is no reply to a post interview thank you letter? It was very brief one but I'm worried because I think the subtle gesture and facial expressions of interviewers and admissions were not good.. esp toward me I think. Before that, I asked for rescheduling of interview by email but no response too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to figure that out too. It says it'll be available on the portal an hour before the MMI begins under My Confirmed Interviews.I am interviewing tomorrow—will the Zoom link be sent sometime today? Just wondering if I need to reach out to admissions for that
Nope, the Zoom link is provided in the portal.I am interviewing tomorrow—will the Zoom link be sent sometime today? Just wondering if I need to reach out to admissions for that
There should be zoom link in the interviews tab where you scheduled it. Log in to that secondary website andaee interview tab.I am interviewing tomorrow—will the Zoom link be sent sometime today? Just wondering if I need to reach out to admissions for that
It’s September.Should I still hold out hope if I haven’t received an II by now? I’m getting very anxious about not hearing anything back. I did submit my secondary a little on the later side as well.