2021-2022 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interviewing this week? Havent heard about the social event yet so Im a little confused

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone interviewing this week? Havent heard about the social event yet so Im a little confused
They sent social and other links the day before the social. Assuming you interview Friday with social on Thursday, so hopefully you’ll get the email by end of business today. Good luck Friday and have fun!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a facebook group for accepted students?

Does anyone have any rough idea of the amount of time between the interview to the decision at the MKE campus? I just need to know what point in December or January I'm allowed to begin stressing

Does anyone have any rough idea of the amount of time between the interview to the decision at the MKE campus? I just need to know what point in December or January I'm allowed to begin stressing
Sounds like they'll tell us at the interview when we should expect decisions. People who interviewed last year told me it was pretty quick though.

Does anyone know if writing an update letter or letter of intent helps you get off the WL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if MCW responds favorably to letters of interest? I have a friend there who said she heard of people sending a LOI and then getting IIs. Has anyone else heard this (or heard the opposite)?

Does anyone know if MCW responds favorably to letters of interest? I have a friend there who said she heard of people sending a LOI and then getting IIs. Has anyone else heard this (or heard the opposite)?
If its really the school you want to go too then there's no harm. On my programming day before the interview they seemed to be really responsive and seemed to encourage us to upload thank you or update letters in our portal. I imagine they respond positively to letters of intent as well.

Does anyone know if the pre-interview social factors into the overall decision? I know it is "optional", but sometimes optional is not really optional

Does anyone know if the pre-interview social factors into the overall decision? I know it is "optional", but sometimes optional is not really optional
I actually missed mine due to work and still got an A. I really don't think anyone on the committee is actually there and that it's truly a place just to socialize.

I actually missed mine due to work and still got an A. I really don't think anyone on the committee is actually there and that it's truly a place just to socialize.
Thank you for that! I have a work-related meeting at 7:30 and have been stressing about having to leave early.

Accepted to the MD/MS in clinical and translational science program! I was accepted to the MD program on 10/15 and interviewed for the masters on 10/29. Would be very interested in chatting with anyone else in/considering this program.

I know that MCW is keep telling us that they will keep interviewing until March but realistically what percentage of interview invites are still left?

Reactions: 3 users
Current MCW M3 and student interviewer! Literally not one bit, at all. The social is run by a separate student group that has nothing to do with admissions at all. Optional here really does mean optional!

Question for people with A's for fall of 2022, and especially people who are already in MCW, specifically the regional campuses:

1. When do mandatory in person activities begin?

2. Is financial aid dispersed earlier for the regional campuses to accommodate starting classes earlier?

For Central Wisconsin and Green Bay students, orientation begins June 27th and classes begin July 5th. As a non-trad who has enough money saved up for a month before medical school, I would be hard-pressed to stretch that money out from June-September. And given the way leases work, I would likely have to move in June 1st as well because I would not be able to guarantee a landlord willing to allow me to move in a month before July. Also, it is usually advised to move in a few weeks before orientation to get acclimated to a new town, which also lends itself to the June 1st move-in date. If given the chance I will likely ask broad questions to my interviewer when I can, but I would love to hear from students who have made this transition, to best understand what it is like.

3. It appears MCW does something called a "second look day" for each of the 3 campuses, where accepted students get to join a virtual tour and get another view at their future campus. Has anyone who received an A gotten a chance to join these activities, and is there anything noteworthy to share?

Thank you for any feedback.

Current M1 at MCW-CW and you answered your first question in what you put underneath your second question. Orientation starts June 27th and it is mandatory and in person. The majority of the summer classes, and by majority I mean ALL, are mandatory and in person. You are learning how to prepare for fall clinical apprenticeships, so taking patient history, doing a basic physical exam, etc.

2. Financial aid is dispersed earlier for regional campuses, but not until July, so your first 2 months of rent (June and July) and security deposit will likely come out of your own pocket, assuming you move in June 1st. Most people in my class moved in Mid-June and most landlords around here are fairly flexible. Just start looking earlier, as you will have more options and a better chance at finding something you like around Wausau.

3. Second look day is not until the spring and I personally did not attend. There is a virtual tour of the CW campus, and I am sure there are for the other campuses as well, on Youtube.

Current M1 at MCW-CW and you answered your first question in what you put underneath your second question. Orientation starts June 27th and it is mandatory and in person. The majority of the summer classes, and by majority I mean ALL, are mandatory and in person. You are learning how to prepare for fall clinical apprenticeships, so taking patient history, doing a basic physical exam, etc.

2. Financial aid is dispersed earlier for regional campuses, but not until July, so your first 2 months of rent (June and July) and security deposit will likely come out of your own pocket, assuming you move in June 1st. Most people in my class moved in Mid-June and most landlords around here are fairly flexible. Just start looking earlier, as you will have more options and a better chance at finding something you like around Wausau.

3. Second look day is not until the spring and I personally did not attend. There is a virtual tour of the CW campus, and I am sure there are for the other campuses as well, on Youtube.
Thank you. I've definitely been doing a lot of research in the last few weeks, the office of student inclusion reached out and I met with them, communicated with finaid as well, I definitely feel on top of things at this point.. at least as much as I can be.

I'd love to hear anything else you'd want to share. I am going to be at MCW-GB, but I'm sure there are some comparison points despite the differences.

hey, does anyone have any information about the interview day playlist? I know that its a very small thing but I've been really excited to listen to it after Jordan was fangirling over P!ATD and Taylor Swift during the session yesterday.

hey, does anyone have any information about the interview day playlist? I know that its a very small thing but I've been really excited to listen to it after Jordan was fangirling over P!ATD and Taylor Swift during the session yesterday.
what are you talking about?

I think they email it about a week after interview day. That's when they sent ours from the 22nd interview day

Agree with other commenter. Our Spotify link came 1 week after the interview.

• Love
what are you talking about?
basically, all interviewees were asked to name their favorite song to be added to the interview day playlist, which will be compiled by the administrator in the meeting and sent out via Spotify link to us. It was one of my favorite parts of the interview day!

I think they email it about a week after interview day. That's when they sent ours from the 22nd interview day
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything yet because even if I don't get in, that part of yesterday was one of the best things to happen in one of my interviews :)

basically, all interviewees were asked to name their favorite song to be added to the interview day playlist, which will be compiled by the administrator in the meeting and sent out via Spotify link to us. It was one of my favorite parts of the interview day!
oh thats dope. first ive heard of this

Does it look like MCW is done sending out invites? Rest of the invites will be only available if people drop?

Does it look like MCW is done sending out invites? Rest of the invites will be only available if people drop?
based on their update email, it said they still are interviewing until spring. But yea they have slowed down.

So is that a bad sign if we haven’t heard anything?
One of my friends from undergrad submitted their app to MCW like a week or so before the deadline, got an interview in the spring, and is a current M1 (I think. Either that or M2. The last couple years have been a blur). IIs will slow down, but it’s definitely not done yet.

Just got an II at 3:23am this morning. The first and second Fridays of Dec were available. I was complete 10/14. So invites are still coming out for those worried.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Finally got my swag bag. Something to note for other folks, the lanyard they give you has a USB drive hidden in the breakaway buckle and there is a lot of cool info there.. some of which could take a decent chunk of time to track down otherwise. Some general MCW facts, groups, a TB/Booster shot page which we will likely need to fill out next spring through CastleBranch, match data for the university for the previous 3 years, etc. Also I think some campus specific things as well- I got a page of abstracts for Scholarly projects done at GB and CW for instance.

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask how competitive the 3 year MD programs here are compared to the 4 year programs? Also do the 3 year programs limit students to primary care residency only?

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask how competitive the 3 year MD programs here are compared to the 4 year programs? Also do the 3 year programs limit students to primary care residency only?
tl;dr more competitive and a focus on primary care

I really want to give space for people at the campuses to answer with their experiences, because all I have are the data. Attached are the match-results for the school overall. The regional campuses have match-results posted to YouTube where you can see where everyone matched. You can compare the data. The 3-year programs take place at either of the two regional campuses in Green Bay or Central Wisconsin, not at the main campus in Milwaukee. I'd also welcome you to look at the curriculum differences between the 3 campuses, they are posted on their website.

If you look at the Post II acceptance rate for MKE, from TheDataKing's spreadsheets, it's above 80%. That's a large difference from the post-II acceptance rates for the regional campuses. I have heard many, many times at this point that of the people they interview for the regional campuses in each interview group, only something like 25% are accepted. These are things you could really quantify yourself seeing how many people apply and realizing there are only like 25 seats for each campus. The adcoms even speak on this to give us a heads-up, to say "hey, it's not like the main campus." They say they have decent WL movement, but I have no way to quantify that.. hopefully others can for you. Either way, 25% is a long way away from 80%+, so if that's something you'd use to quantify competitiveness, then there's that. Overall it doesn't seem that much unlike other schools in regard to how many people get into 3-year programs, though an added wrinkle for MCW is that you don't get accepted first and then apply to a 3-year program, you apply from the get-go, and again the 3-year programs take place at regional campuses 100+ miles away from Milwaukee.

If you look at their mission and goals for the regional campuses, it's to create PCPs, to hit the big three: Family Care, internal medicine generalist, Pediatrician. They also discuss Psychiatry; all of this is on their webpage. These are among the least competitive residencies. It's not that you couldn't match to something competitive, but that's not the goal of the regional campuses. They were built specifically to meet the needs of the people of Wisconsin, and there's a growing need for community-focused care from people with cultural competence for the people of Wisconsin, a rural focus from what I can tell.

If you look at the match-rates for the 2 regional campuses, CW and GB, where you have the 3-year curriculum, you do see some people matching into things like orthopaedic surgery, and you do have the option common to most 3-year programs to decelerate if you cannot handle pace or if you feel you need more time. I have heard from students directly who have done this to create a more competitive app. I would like those folks to speak for themselves though, I am sure there is quite a bit I am missing looking from the outside in.

Attachments

• MCW Match Results 2018.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 98
  • MCW Match Results 2019.pdf
    101.4 KB · Views: 124
  • MCW Match Results 2020.pdf
    417.3 KB · Views: 105
  • MCW Match Results 2021.pdf
    156.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

I really want to give space for people at the campuses to answer with their experiences, because all I have are the data. Attached are the match-results for the school overall. The regional campuses have match-results posted to YouTube where you can see where everyone matched. You can compare the data. The 3-year programs take place at either of the two regional campuses in Green Bay or Central Wisconsin, not at the main campus in Milwaukee. I'd also welcome you to look at the curriculum differences between the 3 campuses, they are posted on their website.

If you look at the Post II acceptance rate for MKE, from TheDataKing's spreadsheets, it's above 80%. That's a large difference from the post-II acceptance rates for the regional campuses. I have heard many, many times at this point that of the people they interview for the regional campuses in each interview group, only something like 25% are accepted. These are things you could really quantify yourself seeing how many people apply and realizing there are only like 25 seats for each campus. The adcoms even speak on this to give us a heads-up, to say "hey, it's not like the main campus." They say they have decent WL movement, but I have no way to quantify that.. hopefully others can for you. Either way, 25% is a long way away from 80%+, so if that's something you'd use to quantify competitiveness, then there's that. Overall it doesn't seem that much unlike other schools in regard to how many people get into 3-year programs, though an added wrinkle for MCW is that you don't get accepted first and then apply to a 3-year program, you apply from the get-go, and again the 3-year programs take place at regional campuses 100+ miles away from Milwaukee.

If you look at their mission and goals for the regional campuses, it's to create PCPs, to hit the big three: Family Care, internal medicine generalist, Pediatrician. They also discuss Psychiatry; all of this is on their webpage. These are among the least competitive residencies. It's not that you couldn't match to something competitive, but that's not the goal of the regional campuses. They were built specifically to meet the needs of the people of Wisconsin, and there's a growing need for community-focused care from people with cultural competence for the people of Wisconsin, a rural focus from what I can tell.

If you look at the match-rates for the 2 regional campuses, CW and GB, where you have the 3-year curriculum, you do see some people matching into things like orthopaedic surgery, and you do have the option common to most 3-year programs to decelerate if you cannot handle pace or if you feel you need more time. I have heard from students directly who have done this to create a more competitive app. I would like those folks to speak for themselves though, I am sure there is quite a bit I am missing looking from the outside in.
Thank you so much for your response

Isn't there a big waitlist movement for the regional campuses though? I'd imagine compared to the main campus the list would move quite a bit.

Isn't there a big waitlist movement for the regional campuses though? I'd imagine compared to the main campus the list would move quite a bit.
The point I made in my initial response is that I don't know as a matter of fact, so I didn't want to say. With that understood though, I'd love to talk about it.. I would say overall as a TL;DR that MCW does have a very decent amount of waitlist movement.

From my time talking to people and perusing this forum MCW is very often the subject of "med school X vs med school Y" discussions, and the "post II acceptance rate" charts support that. ~*~*~*~ Updated Post II Acceptance Rates 2021 ~*~*~*~

We see for last year only 58% of IS accepted students matriculated, 39% for OOS accepted (this is for MCW in general, not specifically for CW or GB). While I wouldn't bet folding money that those figures carry over 100% to the regional campuses, they are significant figures either way. Compared to Wisconsin's 80% IS accepted students matriculated and 30% OOS accepted matriculated, even if you only saw half that movement from the regional campuses as those 58%/39% figures, that would mean there is substantial wait list movement.

As I said in my above post people apply explicitly to the regional campuses and rank all 3 knowing that they'll likely only be getting an interview for the school they ranked 1st.. It just seems conducive to a lower percentage of accepted applicants taking other offers, because it seems more conducive to people only applying because they want to go that route.. why else would people apply to the regional campuses with their lower post II acceptance rates when MCW-MKE has one of the highest above 80%?

Last edited:
The point I made in my initial response is that I don't know as a matter of fact, so I didn't want to say. With that understood though, I'd love to talk about it.. I would say overall as a TL;DR that MCW does have a very decent amount of waitlist movement.

From my time talking to people and perusing this forum MCW is very often the subject of "med school X vs med school Y" discussions, and the "post II acceptance rate" charts support that. ~*~*~*~ Updated Post II Acceptance Rates 2021 ~*~*~*~

We see for last year only 58% of IS accepted students matriculated, 39% for OOS accepted (this is for MCW in general, not specifically for CW or GB). While I wouldn't bet folding money that those figures carry over 100% to the regional campuses, they are significant figures either way. Compared to Wisconsin's 80% IS accepted students matriculated and 30% OOS accepted matriculated, even if you only saw half that movement from the regional campuses as those 58%/39% figures, that would mean there is substantial wait list movement.

As I said in my above post people apply explicitly to the regional campuses and rank all 3 knowing that they'll likely only be getting an interview for the school they ranked 1st.. It just seems conducive to a lower percentage of accepted applicants taking other offers, because it seems more conducive to people only applying because they want to go that route.. why else would people apply to the regional campuses with their lower post II acceptance rates when MCW-MKE has one of the highest above 80%?
Thanks for your response! Looking at the document again and running some numbers, out of 329 OOS ii, 289 were accepted. So that means 40 weren't accepted post ii split between 3 campuses. I don't know how many people the regional campuses interview, but with a hypothetical 50% acceptance rate on each regional campus (40-50 iis, ~20-25 rejected for each) and a 100% acceptance rate for Milwaukee it should add up to what the document says. This is highly dependent on the amount of interviews but the math doesn't leave much room. If there were 100 interviews per regional and only a 25% acceptance rate, that means 75 were rejected per regional campus...but that wouldn't work out with the numbers from the doc. So from what I gathered, the acceptance rate should be well above 50% for the regionals. Correct me if i'm wrong though!

Thanks for your response! Looking at the document again and running some numbers, out of 329 OOS ii, 289 were accepted. So that means 40 weren't accepted post ii split between 3 campuses. I don't know how many people the regional campuses interview, but with a hypothetical 50% acceptance rate on each regional campus (40-50 iis, ~20-25 rejected for each) and a 100% acceptance rate for Milwaukee it should add up to what the document says. This is highly dependent on the amount of interviews but the math doesn't leave much room. If there were 100 interviews per regional and only a 25% acceptance rate, that means 75 were rejected per regional campus...but that wouldn't work out with the numbers from the doc. So from what I gathered, the acceptance rate should be well above 50% for the regionals. Correct me if i'm wrong though!
Yeah the math is pretty tight you are right. I wonder if the numbers pulled from USNWR includes the regional campuses? Would it have to? I'd assume so..

There is some interesting topics being discussed in the previous years thread...

As with most things we discuss here on SDN, it's important to remember anecdotal evidence may not be fact, and we certainly do not represent the entire population so it's best to just stick with data and whatever their adcoms tell you directly. That said, I've heard that MCW admissions are quite responsive to inquiries, though it's probably wayyy too early in the game to be asking them anything. It's a fun added wrinkle though.