2021-2022 Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I got a call and am expecting an email next week. And also last name T lol
I'd advise against sharing that many details about your application in a public forum. It's best to share those details in private messages. If someone is bitter, they can use that kind of information to try to doxx you. Just something to be mindful of.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd advise against sharing that many details about your application in a public forum. It's best to share those details in private messages. If someone is bitter, they can use that kind of information to try to doxx you. Just something to be mindful of.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll still leave the info up in hopes that it helps other pre meds!

• Care
Hey Guys!

Wanted to share my II with you all, not to brag, but because I was in the same boat as so many of you waiting for your first II, just two days ago. Like many of you, I was slowly starting to doubt myself, despite knowing that we are too early in the cycle to hit the panic button. Now, I hope I can add some perspective for you by sharing a bit of my own experience. I graduated from undergrad with a sub 3.0 GPA and a track record that I was incredibly remorseful to have serving as a reflection of my capabilities and character. Over the past couple of years, I worked intently to show schools that I am capable of more than what my teenage self was able to show at the time. After a master's program and taking my MCAT, my LizzyM score is maybe a 68; probably far lower than the average student that is fortunate enough to receive an II from Tufts. My point is, when schools claim that their admissions review is holistic, TRUST THEM. Sure, our stats play an undeniably important role; but I think we can all agree if it were only stats that mattered, my uGPA would have been an easy reason to toss my file in the trash.

It's easy to try and compare ourselves to others, but there is so much more to our apps than can be shared on a public forum. Just hang in there guys! Our premed journey has taught us to think logically and pragmatically... let's try to tame our emotions and anxieties and remember that there's so much time left; both in this cycle and for us to apply in the future, if need be. I truly wish nothing but the best for you all; I know how hard we have all worked to make it this far and how much we have emotionally invested. Trust that your hard work, sooner or later, IS GOING TO PAY OFF.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
Hey Guys!

Wanted to share my II with you all, not to brag, but because I was in the same boat as so many of you waiting for your first II, just two days ago. Like many of you, I was slowly starting to doubt myself, despite knowing that we are too early in the cycle to hit the panic button. Now, I hope I can add some perspective for you by sharing a bit of my own experience. I graduated from undergrad with a sub 3.0 GPA and a track record that I was incredibly remorseful to have serving as a reflection of my capabilities and character. Over the past couple of years, I worked intently to show schools that I am capable of more than what my teenage self was able to show at the time. After a master's program and taking my MCAT, my LizzyM score is maybe a 68; probably far lower than the average student that receives an II from Tufts. My point is, when schools claim that their admissions review is holistic, TRUST THEM. Sure, our stats play an undeniably important role; but I think we can all agree if it was only stats that mattered, my uGPA would have been an easy reason to toss my file in the trash.

It's easy to try and compare ourselves to others, but there is so much more to our apps than can be shared on a public forum. Just hang in there guys! Our premed journey has taught us to think logically and pragmatically... let's try to tame our emotions and anxieties and remember that there's so much time left; both in this cycle and for us to apply in the future, if need be. I truly wish nothing but the best for you all; I know how hard we have all worked to make it this far and how much we have emotionally invested. Trust that your hard work, sooner or later, IS GOING TO PAY OFF.
As someone getting ready to hit the panic button waiting to hear back, I really needed this. Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I don't know if admissions are holistic, my sense is that there is more of a randomness to it than a holistic sense. There are so many random factors at play rather than all factors being holistic.

As someone getting ready to hit the panic button waiting to hear back, I really needed this. Thank you!
Happy to hear it! I guess this is an opportunity for us to further develop patience and stress management.. both of which are going to be important to have moving forward! We just gotta keep our heads up.. surely they can't say no forever..... right??? :oops::lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Think more calls are going out today? I think I remember them saying they might spill into Monday/Tuesday for the September interviewees but I want to make sure I’m not imagining that.

Think more calls are going out today? I think I remember them saying they might spill into Monday/Tuesday for the September interviewees but I want to make sure I’m not imagining that.
I believe on my interview day they said that calls would spill into this week and doesnt seem like that many people got calls on Friday.

Accepted to the Maine Track today via email! I am so stoked for such a cool program, especially after what I thought was my worst interview

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to the Maine Track today via email! I am so stoked for such a cool program, especially after what I thought was my worst interview
Did you happen to get a call as well? Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got deferral of decision email. IS. Anyone know anything about outcomes with a deferral here?

im wondering this too...I think ~40/200 students (~20%) in tufts entering MD class are maine track students. I also know that they give out around 900 interviews total (both maine track and non), but I don't know if they have those specifics. Maybe 180ish interview spots because that's 20% of 900. I really don't know tho haha
I'm a current Maine Tracker! On my interview day a couple years ago I was told that they get less than 400 applicants for the program, interview about half, offer acceptances to about 80 students, and then ultimately end up with the 40 matriculants from there. I was deferred and then ultimately admitted off the waitlist, but I'm not sure how many MT applicants get waitlisted. I don't know what the breakdown is for Mainers vs non-Mainers within that, but I'm from a non-Maine New England state. I'd say probably just over half my class is Mainers, most of the rest are other New Englanders like myself, and off the top of my head the majority of the remaining handful fits into either (a) from/lived in a rural area outside New England, and/or (b) got their Bachelors degree in Maine.

The MT application process is completely separate from Boston admissions; I never even saw the Boston campus once during the application/interview process. That separation does give the Maine Trackers somewhat of a distinct vibe as a cohort compared to the Boston Track, in my personal opinion, though.

complete 7/6 and silence. just fyi, for fellow early july submitters, on 9/29 they sent me an email asking for official documentation regarding my (very very minor) IA, which makes me think they didn't even get around to reviewing my app until then. idk if it means anything but who knows

What were your stats, did they say anything about interview stats this year??

Does anyone have any interview advice? I'm a bit worried for all the MMI's since last year when I interviewed it was mostly just regular interviews

Watching the thread but not getting any notifs from it for whatever reason, hopefully this message does the trick. No Tufts II just yet but I'm joining the club with high spirits!

Reactions: 5 users
hi! any advice for someone who has been deferred? do people ever get accepted after deferral, or is this a soft rejection?

hi! any advice for someone who has been deferred? do people ever get accepted after deferral, or is this a soft rejection?
Looks like you'll probably end up on the waitlist, and their waitlist movement is pretty variable from year to year. MSAR says the size of their waitlist changes a lot from year to year, and there's no data on how many people get in from the waitlist.

Looks like you'll probably end up on the waitlist, and their waitlist movement is pretty variable from year to year. MSAR says the size of their waitlist changes a lot from year to year, and there's no data on how many people get in from the waitlist.
That's not necessarily true, I was deferred in November last year before getting rejected in May. Honestly would have preferred that than getting put on the waitlist because at least I knew

Does anyone have any interview advice? I'm a bit worried for all the MMI's since last year when I interviewed it was mostly just regular interviews
I found all the prompts to be on relevant topics and interesting to think about/discuss. The interviewers were kind, and it was far more conversational than some other MMIs I've done. Hope this helps!

Just to clarify - I thought Tufts’ website says they do traditional interviews? Is it MMI? For the Boston track in particular

Just to clarify - I thought Tufts’ website says they do traditional interviews? Is it MMI? For the Boston track in particular
It is two individual one-on-one interviews. I believe one is with faculty and one is with an MS4, but not 100% sure that's always the case. Definitely two one on ones though. Good luck!

Is it like way too late to apply now? Just realizing I want one more Boston school. MCT 513/ GPA 3.80 OOS

Is it like way too late to apply now? Just realizing I want one more Boston school. MCT 513/ GPA 3.80 OOS
I would say go for it if it gives you peace of mind that you at least tried.

Technically, you can still meet the deadlines: Nov 1 for AMCAS submission to them and Jan 15 for completion of their secondary.
I'm not sure though whether they hold a later submission against an applicant?

Just a friendly heads up for other interviewees, lots of movement happening with interview dates if you're looking to reschedule! was able to move mine from January to November. just thought I'd share in case anyone else has been looking to move their date forward

Reactions: 2 users
I have my interview for Maine track next week. Basically if I get in I am going I don't really care about other places. I would assume I am a little away from the typical averages but for those who have been accepted what are you stats right now? I am a 510 mcat and a 3.72 gpa (3.8 science). Nothing too special but I was wondering if those who have had success are seeing number like that as well. Once again, I just want to ball park my stuff because I don't have any demographics on my side as a south asian kid of two doctors. Just let me know that I am trying to get a sense of how these things usually go.

anyone else submit in late June and not hear back? Is this a sign of rejection

Reactions: 6 users
Do we think there will be another wave of IIs soon?
Looking at last year's thread, there seemed to be a wave of IIs and As on the last Friday/Saturday of October. If that tracks for this year as well...I can hope that we may start getting some more movement tomorrow?

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone. Tufts alum MD20, current resident. I was a repeat applicant initially deferred. There tends to be a handful of deferred applicants who come off the list each year. I didn’t, but reapplied the next year and was accepted.

Typically deferred means you have 1 or 2 things in your app that might have given caution about pulling the trigger, but a good enough app to stay on the pile. If at the end of the day you still feel like Tufts is the program for you, around Feb/March I would contact the deans office with any updates and let them know you want to be there. If you don’t have any other A’s I would also suggest in that email asking if you can speak with the Dean or an AdCom about areas they felt you could improve. This worked for me, but obviously that was 6 years ago and things do change. Best of luck.

And for those wondering, I loved my time at Tufts. I matched into my top program as did a vast majority of my class.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
If you don’t have any other A’s I would also suggest in that email asking if you can speak with the Dean or an AdCom about areas they felt you could improve. This worked for me, but obviously that was 6 years ago and things do change. Best of luck.
Would you recommend this only for people who had an interview, or could you do it even if you don't have an interview?

complete 7/6 and silence. just fyi, for fellow early july submitters, on 9/29 they sent me an email asking for official documentation regarding my (very very minor) IA, which makes me think they didn't even get around to reviewing my app until then. idk if it means anything but who knows
I was complete 8/4 and they asked me for additional documents on 8/25. It's been silent since then though so I'm guessing it's going to be an R in the spring

Does anyone know if Tufts has a history of sending pre-II R's ? If not I wouldn't lose hope until March 2022!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Tufts has a history of sending pre-II R's ? If not I wouldn't lose hope until March 2022!
The certainly do! They had R waves throughout the second year (aka 2022 for us). I remember because my friend got an R and I didn’t until the last wave of the cycle a few months after.

They also interviewed until march!

Source: reapplicant

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted Maine Track, no ties to the state of Maine or New England.

Letting the cycle pan out, but overall this is my number one MD only school and I am enthralled!

(Sorry for the repost, I meant to edit to remove something, accidentally deleted)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted Maine Track, no ties to the state of Maine or New England.

Letting the cycle pan out, but overall this is my number one MD only school and I am enthralled!

(Sorry for the repost, I meant to edit to remove something, accidentally deleted)
Congrats! When did you interview?

if you don't get an interview for Maine track, will they consider you for the regular program as well?