2021-2022 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
please pray for all the IS applicants who had to stay in Nola for the hurricane guys.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Anyone else unable to access their Tulane secondary at this time (it's telling me "This site can't be reached")? Could it be something to do with the hurricane?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else unable to access their Tulane secondary at this time (it's telling me "This site can't be reached")? Could it be something to do with the hurricane?
It's Sunday, a hurricane will make landfall today, and not only will the admissions office be hampered in communications with you, but probably the employees will not be able to "work from home" because they have either evacuated or will have power outages at their homes.
Turn your attentions to other schools you are applying to for now :coffee:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is it too late to add tulane to my school list? I know they like early applicants. how diminished are my chances?

is it too late to add tulane to my school list? I know they like early applicants. how diminished are my chances?
might as well, there was a glitch in their system/website so a bunch of people got secondaries late and the Hurricane is pushing everything back

Jefferson parish (next door to NOLA) is expected to be without power for at least 21 days. New Orleans main transmission tower fell into the Mississippi river. I would not expect a lot of movement from Tulane in September. Wishing well to everyone in Southeast LA.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Yup; our med school classes are canceled till Thursday at the earliest. So, I'd presume there would be severe backlogs regarding admissions.

I know this is not "welcomed news" given the high level of anxiety and stress on these forums, so hopefully, these updates can shed some light if y'all aren't hearing back.

Reactions: 3 users
Yup; our med school classes are canceled till Thursday at the earliest. So, I'd presume there would be severe backlogs regarding admissions.

I know this is not "welcomed news" given the high level of anxiety and stress on these forums, so hopefully, these updates can shed some light if y'all aren't hearing back.
Hey we were going to be anxious either way lol

I'm wishing you and your classmates well, please be safe!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any people with interviews scheduled this week? If so, what has the school told you?

Just wondering because my interview is late next week and it seems like there's a distinct possibility that my interview will be affected.

Are there any people with interviews scheduled this week? If so, what has the school told you?

Just wondering because my interview is late next week and it seems like there's a distinct possibility that my interview will be affected.
I’d assume your interview is definitely affected. Sadly, NOLA isn’t expected to have power for over a month at this point. I live down here and it’s bad. :/

• Care

I don't have an II at Tulane but another interview that I have at a Louisiana school has been rescheduled. I'd assume the same for you

Praying for those families down in NOLA. When things like this happen, the least important thing is responding to submitted secondaries.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For all the med students that have been offering advice on this forum, I hope you all are safe right now!!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Emailed the tulane office about how the weather was affecting interviews. They basically said they don't know yet (mine is next thursday) and then later sent out another email that seemed formatted for a mass audience saying the same thing.

For all the med students that have been offering advice on this forum, I hope you all are safe right now!!
A lot of us evacuated back home. A very small portion of us stayed behind (on-campus housing), so got stable power and water. Overall can't complain about what has been a very hard time for the city and school.

Should I be concerned that I submitted my secondary here on 8/1 and I’m still not under review?

Should I be concerned that I submitted my secondary here on 8/1 and I’m still not under review?

Nope. It’s September 2 and they’re currently in the middle of a huge natural disaster.

Reactions: 5 users
OOS R this morning! Best of luck to those still in the Tulane game! :D

• Care
Nope. It’s September 2 and they’re currently in the middle of a huge natural disaster.
Oh absolutely not being insensitive to that. I’m just trying to figure out if other people who submitted in august had gone under review yet

Just re-posting from before that the date in which you submit your secondary does not correlate with when your file will get under review. It depends on a whole host of factors that non-admission people are not privileged to know. In addition, we are still rebounding from a hurricane. SOM classes are delayed until September 13th (hence I have more time to check this forum). Please stay patient :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, just a heads up to y'all from an insiders perspective. I am in the Tulane SMP and also applied to them this cycle. The electric company has restored power to the medical campus (hospital and academic buildings). However, they have cancelled our classes until Sept. 13th. Even though Ida was rough the levees and risk reduction pumps worked great and so I'm hoping they are back to normal with reviewing our applications in a week or two!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations to those who secured an II! You'll do well :)

As for others waiting, unfortunately, I can't provide you with a defined timeline of when you'll hear back. Admissions is largely a black box with so many factors involved (i.e. are you with a linkage program, who is reviewing your file, how far behind your reviewers are etc). Personally, I got an II a month after submitting my secondary in middle of July 2021. So use that however it suits you.

As for the decisions after submitting the application, the most often will be a "hold". This is not me being pessimistic, but just reality, since there are way too many applicants that interview spots and eventual acceptance. Rejections after submitting a secondary (at this early in the game) are super rare.

Hope this provides some more insight.

For those who messaged me, I'm sorry for my late responses. School has been getting really busy. I'll try to respond as soon as I can, but need to prioritize my studies first.

Good luck everyone :)
I'm in Tulane's SMP physiology program. Anybody know how preferable that linkage is to TUSOM's MD program? I just started a couple weeks ago and I do not want to both anyone at the school since they are going through alot w Ida rn.

Was deferred from ED and still haven't gotten any notice since then

any 8/1 complete under review?

anyone hear anything about interviews this week? As in, are they still happening?

anyone hear anything about interviews this week? As in, are they still happening?
nvm, just got an email that my interview is happening

placed on hold (again). Complete 7/22. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Care
II today, complete 7/14, under review 8/3. LM 70, International :love:

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Any idea if Tulane cares whether the secondary is turned in by a 2-week deadline? It's been nearly a month since I was verified, not sure if it's even worth applying any more.

I'm pretty suspicious of this school's admissions procedures after getting rejected here for undergrad but accepted by T5s lol.

Tulane undergrad both a) notoriously yield protects and b) wants applicants who are a good mission fit for the school, stats aren't everything and what one school may appreciate may not be the formula to admission for another

I can't tell if the post by MDor*** is sarcastic or has a slight bit of cynicism after reading the poster's T5 comment. But, regardless, in your secondaries and interviews, you really need to describe why you are a good fit for TUSOM and why TUSOM is a good fit for you. Last year, TUSOM received 17.5k applications for 190 spots, so it's safe to say they have a lot to choose from.

Stats aren't everything. How you look on paper and stats got you the II, but that's half the battle; perform well on the interview. Different schools look for different qualities/traits; that's why people apply to a lot of schools in order to maximize chances. I got rejected by numerous schools too, but very happy to be at TUSOM :)

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing next week on 9/15!! I've been prepping for a little bit but am getting a little intimidated by the supposed "standardized patient" portion of the interview. Is this literally taking a stab at gathering patient history or is this more of an acting based ethics scenario? Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

Last edited:
Interviewing next week on 9/15!! I've been prepping for a little bit but am getting a little intimidated by the supposed "standardized patient" portion of the interview. Is this literally taking a stab at gathering patient history or is this more of an acting based ethics scenario? Any insight would be helpful, thanks!
I've been reading through last year's SDN thread and it seems like we're really not supposed to talk about the encounter itself. People have said that it's pretty chill though and is at most 10-15min so I don't think it'll be too bad

I've been reading through last year's SDN thread and it seems like we're really not supposed to talk about the encounter itself. People have said that it's pretty chill though and is at most 10-15min so I don't think it'll be too bad
Thanks so much! Definitely feeling a little more at ease now.

II today. Secondary complete 7/25. Under review 8/13. OOS

I have been under review since 8/3 and it's been complete silence. Anyone in a similar situation?

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a specific email that says "under review" or is this the same thing as the "application complete" email?
Email title line is: "Tulane SOM: Secondary Application Under Review." Got mine about 20 days after the app complete email.

Thanks so much! Definitely feeling a little more at ease now.

People participating in SP encounters signed a NDA, so we can't disclose much about it. But, I'd suggest searching up "standardized patient interview" on YouTube. This will give you some insight as to what to expect. But other than that, I can't say much more without breaching the contract.

Does anyone know how the general interview timeline for Tulane will be like?