2021-2022 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this normal to see on my status page? I submitted my application successfully but it still says application not ready?
Application Submitted
icon_complete.gif
Application submitted on 07/26/2021.
Fee Paid Status
icon_complete.gif
Received on 07/26/2021
Application Processed
icon_incomplete.gif
Your application is NOT ready.
Mine says my application has been processed and it has a green checkmark. Maybe make sure all of your LOR's have been received. When I submitted it took a few days for my LORs to be marked complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you check whether your LORs are complete on the AMCAS primary application portal? I definitely have that as a green checkmark over there. Or is there somewhere else you are talking about that is specific to Wash U?
Try looking under document status and see if there is a "Y" under "approved by admissions office" for your LORs. Someone has to manually go in and verify they're all there. If you submitted recently it will probably take a few business days, nothing for you to do on your end

Is this normal to see on my status page? I submitted my application successfully but it still says application not ready?
Application Submitted
icon_complete.gif
Fee Paid Status
icon_complete.gif
Received on 07/26/2021
Application Processed
icon_incomplete.gif
Could be LORS

Members don't see this ad :)
Application Submitted
icon_complete.gif
Fee Paid Status
icon_complete.gif
Received on 07/26/2021
Application Processed
icon_incomplete.gif
probably bc u just submitted today, give it a sec

Application Submitted
icon_complete.gif
Fee Paid Status
icon_complete.gif
Received on 07/26/2021
Application Processed
icon_incomplete.gif
I just checked because Ir ember this too and in their first email once you submit, it says:
"Please note that your letters of recommendation will not appear as received until they have been verified to meet the requirements outlined in the application instructions. Please allow 15 business days for processing of application materials."

But it only took 3 days for mine to be processed so I wouldn't worry too much. You haven't done anything wrong.

Hey yall I'm a recent wash u grad. feel free to hmu with any q's.

Do you guys think it's ok to put a diversity essay in the optional prompt or better to leave blank?

Hey yall I'm a recent wash u grad. feel free to hmu with any q's.
How do I convey this is my top choice school without sounding super desperate or ready to write a letter of intent during interviews. I still want to shoot my shot at all the schools I am applying to and money is a big factor for me, but WashU is my dream school and has been for a long time. I made sure to submit the secondary the moment I got it, but any interview advice you have, I am sure this whole thread would appreciate it.

Also noticed they have one standardized video interview (SVI) along with 2 1v1 interviews. If you have any tips or know anything about the SVI, since no other school I am applying to has anything like it, please share <3

So WashU just outright sent me an email telling me to apply because my high MCAT got flagged. So now they're buying AAMC data to increase their MCATs?

What a joke of a school lmao. So glad I didn't apply here. This is some immature undergrad rank-gaming type of garbage. Why is WashU stooping to levels this low? They already have the second highest MCAT median in world.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So WashU just outright sent me an email telling me to apply because my high MCAT got flagged. So now they're buying AAMC data to increase their MCATs?

What a joke of a school lmao. So glad I didn't apply here.
They've been sending those out all cycle. I'm surprised it took so long to get to you! :)

Anyway, why does this make it a joke of a school? Do you really think Mayo, Penn, Chicago, NYU, etc., care any less about high MCATs, just because they realize they don't need to spend money soliciting these candidates? Are they all jokes too? WashU's MCATs are already though the roof -- it doesn't get much higher than a 521 median. I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this.

By the way, stay close to your mailbox, because the email is going to be followed by a very lovely full color, hard copy, heavy card stock brochure. :)

All of the stat wh***s have a very well deserved reputation earned over many years. I don't think the fact that someone at WashU thought it would be a good idea to buy a list from AAMC this year makes them any worse than any of their peers. If anything, just a little wasteful with their money. After all, the solicitation certainly failed to induce you to throw your hat into the ring. OTOH, I'm sure they have more 520+ applicants than they know what to do with, and would undoubtedly have them them with no mailing at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
They've been sending those out all cycle. I'm surprised it took so long to get to you! :)

Anyway, why does this make it a joke of a school? Do you really think Mayo, Penn, Chicago, NYU, etc., care any less about high MCATs, just because they realize they don't need to spend money soliciting these candidates? Are they all jokes too? WashU's MCATs are already though the roof -- it doesn't get much higher than a 521 median. I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this.

By the way, stay close to your mailbox, because the email is going to be followed by a very lovely full color, hard copy, heavy card stock brochure. :)
No idea. But I didn't apply to Penn either and haven't gotten an email.

Also it's pretty late in the cycle and it seems kind of pathetic to send out emails asking for a primary at this point. Like what, do they just want to create a new metric "highest applicant MCAT" ????

I seriously don't get it. For a school of WashU's caliber they should care less about MCATs and more about holistic EC evaluation especially considering the population(s) they serve. But yeah I just don't see a reason for this, it's not like they can even climb the rankings much more on an academic front. Just makes me mad tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
No idea. But I didn't apply to Penn either and haven't gotten an email.

Also it's pretty late in the cycle and it seems kind of pathetic to send out emails asking for a primary at this point. Like what, do they just want to create a new metric "highest applicant MCAT" ????

I seriously don't get it. For a school of WashU's caliber they should care less about MCATs and more about holistic EC evaluation especially considering the population(s) they serve. But yeah I just don't see a reason for this, it's not like they can even climb the rankings much more on an academic front. Just makes me mad tbh.
If this pisses you off check out WashU Undergrad median family income. It's disgusting, and I come from an upper-class background.

• Wow
  • Sad
If this pisses you off check out WashU Undergrad median family income. It's disgusting, and I come from an upper-class background.
Their undergrad is hilarious. Nearing 40% acceptance rate for early decision (meaning you get in you go) and they take like 80% of the class from ED because they know top applicants won't pick them over literally any other top school lmfao.

Christ.

I never knew this but wow...just wow...

Their undergrad is hilarious. Nearing 40% acceptance rate for early decision (meaning you get in you go) and they take like 80% of the class from ED because they know top applicants won't pick them over literally any other top school lmfao.
They feed of the elitist, yet desperate; social-climbing incarnate.

Just wanted to put my two cents in here: Coming from a Northeast low-tier school, I hadn't heard much about WUSTL but I ended up applying there for a summer internship and had an amazing experience. Yes, they definitely care a lot about stats, but this doesn't mean they aren't a phenomenal school! I come from a lower/middle-class background and at least in my experience, the faculty and students were incredibly welcoming and so eager to teach! I went to a school with pretty sparse opportunities to shadow, and after emailing asking to shadow, almost every single physician was willing to allow me to shadow. When I started applying for medical school, my advisor from WashU offered to have a zoom meeting with me just to discuss how he could best advocate for me through his letter. In addition, he's kept in touch throughout the past couple years, updating me on how the lab is doing!

The whole median income stats are definitely terrifying, but for most low or low-middle-class med students, I've heard that the scholarships are pretty great - I'm definitely hoping for that :)

I don't say this to take away from any of the previous comments, they are super valid. Just wanted to add my experience.

Reactions: 9 users
Just wanted to put my two cents in here: Coming from a Northeast low-tier school, I hadn't heard much about WUSTL but I ended up applying there for a summer internship and had an amazing experience. Yes, they definitely care a lot about stats, but this doesn't mean they aren't a phenomenal school! I come from a lower/middle-class background and at least in my experience, the faculty and students were incredibly welcoming and so eager to teach! I went to a school with pretty sparse opportunities to shadow, and after emailing asking to shadow, almost every single physician was willing to allow me to shadow. When I started applying for medical school, my advisor from WashU offered to have a zoom meeting with me just to discuss how he could best advocate for me through his letter. In addition, he's kept in touch throughout the past couple years, updating me on how the lab is doing!

The whole median income stats are definitely terrifying, but for most low or low-middle-class med students, I've heard that the scholarships are pretty great - I'm definitely hoping for that :)

I don't say this to take away from any of the previous comments, they are super valid. Just wanted to add my experience.
To be clear I'm definitely not dishing the school, academically wise at least. Obviously, they're a superb medical school.

Personally, a lot of other factors pushed me away from that place back when I was making my list in May. But nonetheless, numbers don't lie, and for both undergrad and MD, WUSTL seems to have other priorities.

How do I convey this is my top choice school without sounding super desperate or ready to write a letter of intent during interviews. I still want to shoot my shot at all the schools I am applying to and money is a big factor for me, but WashU is my dream school and has been for a long time. I made sure to submit the secondary the moment I got it, but any interview advice you have, I am sure this whole thread would appreciate it.

Also noticed they have one standardized video interview (SVI) along with 2 1v1 interviews. If you have any tips or know anything about the SVI, since no other school I am applying to has anything like it, please share <3
I dont think you will sound desperate if you have legit reasons it's your top choice. I made a big deal about my family connections in the area and I think it helped. FWIW I literally wrote them like 4 personalized update letters to continue showing my interest. Dunno if that actually helped or hurt but in my experience interest means a lot to them, especially if you know the STL area bc a lot of people have no experience with the place. I wouldn't talk about any special research opportunities or whatever unless you're md/phd. I genuinely think wash u is the best med school in the world to train at. get the combo of county hospital + only quaternary center in a huge region of the US. get really rural folks and really urban. extremely diverse. all in an extremely livable city (and the cwe is the best neighborhood i've ever been to).

I dont have any tips for the video interview. Didn't have those when i was there. as always, it's more about how you answer than what you say. they want leaders. stay calm/cool/collected. know, or seem to know, something about what youre getting yourself into.

edit: only downside is exposure to primary care is limited. it's actually worse if you do the "longitudinal primary care track", but y'all don't have to worry about that now.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
To be clear I'm definitely not dishing the school, academically wise at least. Obviously, they're a superb medical school.

Personally, a lot of other factors pushed me away from that place back when I was making my list in May. But nonetheless, numbers don't lie, and for both undergrad and MD, WUSTL seems to have other priorities.
You called this school a joke, said you were happy that you didn't apply and then went on to talk negatively about their undergrad in this forum... like it feels like, from my perspective, that you are dishing the school and clearly don't like it.

I had a long talk with someone on the admissions committee for this medical school weeks ago, specifically about this email and holistic review. The email about MCAT is sent to everyone they feel may be interested (regardless if your score was good) - it is a marketing campaign to encourage all students to apply even if they don't feel confident about their score. It is actually the opposite of what you think, but I understand the confusion and I was also confused. There are also many schools with similar MCAT averages (Columbia/NYU/Stanford/Hopkins/Mayo/UChicago/UPenn/Vanderbilt/Yale - just to name a few).

Also, the medical school launched a huge scholarship campaign in 2019 that I also suggest people look at because it is incredible. They committed over $100 mill to MD scholarships in order to provide free or reduced tuition to the majority of incoming students.

Furthermore, I looked into the whole median income of their undergrad institution and I now recognize that this number and comparison to other schools comes from a 2017 article from the NYT and the data used from the article is from the class of 2014. Not to say this isn't a problem, but context is important.

I think this reddit post summed it up well responding to a similar post about the median income and NYT article:
Now, this is not to say that WashU doesn’t still have areas to improve upon on the front of socioeconomic diversity and supporting lower/middle income students. As a low-income student myself, and friends with many others, not here to contest this. What I can say is that WashU WOKE UP to the fact that NYT called them out SPECIFICALLY in an article attached to the awesome data project you linked. Created entire new programs, more than doubled Pell Grant student numbers, partnered with QuestBridge and other orgs for first gen/low-income students, dedicated more funding, built out new offices, etc etc.

Sure, now, we’re about average amongst our peers, at least on the Pell Grant number anyway. Not to say we should accept this and carry on, but we hit our target of 15% at least a couple of years before our expected date. Again, not to say that attendance all of a sudden means a perfect experience. It can be a mixed bag at times, but what I know for sure is that WashU has made it possible for me to be at WashU in ways that it HAD to. And having worked directly with SFS staff, they really wish they could do the same for every last person they hear from. Please, do not let this post suggest to you that WashU doesn’t care. If you want, you can say the Trustees don’t, but every other person I’ve talked to at least pays lipservice (but also puts significant $$ relative to our peers) behind trying to improve.

Keep in mind that prior to the beginning of Wrighton’s chancellorship 25ish years ago, we were at best a top tier REGIONAL institution. Sure, Danforth did a lot, but Wrighton built out infrastructure and MONEY. We’re fortunate to have a top-tier MBA program and med school to get rich alums, but that didn’t really exist for us prior to relatively recently. We don’t have centuries of deep-pocket/well-connected alums that Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc do. Yes, the endowment is significant, but we still draw significant portions of our yearly budget from tuition due to our public service hospital and the fact that earnings from that endowment haven’t been around all that long. We provide a TON of opportunities for students (academic, extracurricular, graduate, etc) despite some relative limitations, and higher income students are relied upon to in part help cover the expenses to make that possible for everyone, including those with lesser funding. This is part of why there have been so many. Unfortunately, that ends up falling at times on folks that truly cannot afford it, and frankly I hate that. I hate that college costs at all, let alone what costs it does. But I guess I’d argue the system is a lot more to blame than the people that keep WashU going day-to-day.

This has been rambling, but I get so frustrated every time I see this posted because it lacks context, and frankly it scares away people like me from ever thinking they could find success at a place like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You called this school a joke, said you were happy that you didn't apply and then went on to talk negatively about their undergrad in this forum... like it feels like, from my perspective, that you are dishing the school and clearly don't like it.

I had a long talk with someone on the admissions committee for this medical school weeks ago, specifically about this email and holistic review. The email about MCAT is sent to everyone they feel may be interested (regardless if your score was good) - it is a marketing campaign to encourage all students to apply even if they don't feel confident about their score. It is actually the opposite of what you think, but I understand the confusion and I was also confused. There are also many schools with similar MCAT averages (Columbia/NYU/Stanford/Hopkins/Mayo/UChicago/UPenn/Vanderbilt/Yale - just to name a few).

Also, the medical school launched a huge scholarship campaign in 2019 that I also suggest people look at because it is incredible. They committed over $100 mill to MD scholarships in order to provide free or reduced tuition to the majority of incoming students.

Furthermore, I looked into the whole median income of their undergrad institution and I now recognize that this number and comparison to other schools comes from a 2017 article from the NYT and the data used from the article is from the class of 2014. Not to say this isn't a problem, but context is important.

I think this reddit post summed it up well responding to a similar post about the median income and NYT article:
Now, this is not to say that WashU doesn’t still have areas to improve upon on the front of socioeconomic diversity and supporting lower/middle income students. As a low-income student myself, and friends with many others, not here to contest this. What I can say is that WashU WOKE UP to the fact that NYT called them out SPECIFICALLY in an article attached to the awesome data project you linked. Created entire new programs, more than doubled Pell Grant student numbers, partnered with QuestBridge and other orgs for first gen/low-income students, dedicated more funding, built out new offices, etc etc.

Sure, now, we’re about average amongst our peers, at least on the Pell Grant number anyway. Not to say we should accept this and carry on, but we hit our target of 15% at least a couple of years before our expected date. Again, not to say that attendance all of a sudden means a perfect experience. It can be a mixed bag at times, but what I know for sure is that WashU has made it possible for me to be at WashU in ways that it HAD to. And having worked directly with SFS staff, they really wish they could do the same for every last person they hear from. Please, do not let this post suggest to you that WashU doesn’t care. If you want, you can say the Trustees don’t, but every other person I’ve talked to at least pays lipservice (but also puts significant $$ relative to our peers) behind trying to improve.

Keep in mind that prior to the beginning of Wrighton’s chancellorship 25ish years ago, we were at best a top tier REGIONAL institution. Sure, Danforth did a lot, but Wrighton built out infrastructure and MONEY. We’re fortunate to have a top-tier MBA program and med school to get rich alums, but that didn’t really exist for us prior to relatively recently. We don’t have centuries of deep-pocket/well-connected alums that Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc do. Yes, the endowment is significant, but we still draw significant portions of our yearly budget from tuition due to our public service hospital and the fact that earnings from that endowment haven’t been around all that long. We provide a TON of opportunities for students (academic, extracurricular, graduate, etc) despite some relative limitations, and higher income students are relied upon to in part help cover the expenses to make that possible for everyone, including those with lesser funding. This is part of why there have been so many. Unfortunately, that ends up falling at times on folks that truly cannot afford it, and frankly I hate that. I hate that college costs at all, let alone what costs it does. But I guess I’d argue the system is a lot more to blame than the people that keep WashU going day-to-day.

This has been rambling, but I get so frustrated every time I see this posted because it lacks context, and frankly it scares away people like me from ever thinking they could find success at a place like this.
WashU med school is fine...the undergrad being need-aware is dubious and un-meritocratic. The admin clearly made a 'business decision' in that regard.

I absolutely don't like the school and gladly will dish it, as clear by my post lmao. I'm not hiding anything. However, nothing I said was false especially about their undergrad. I can't tell if you're a student or not and are personally offended, but their admissions practices are, in fact, a hilarity. No need to defend them.

I absolutely don't like the school and gladly will dish it, as clear by my post lmao. I'm not hiding anything. However, nothing I said was false especially about their undergrad. I can't tell if you're a student or not and are personally offended, but their admissions practices are, in fact, a hilarity. No need to defend them.
I’m not a student, just thought the information I had and what I found in my research was worth mentioning for greater context and an alternative opinion. That’s all I will say in here because I recognize that the majority of people following this thread are anxiously awaiting news about IIs and I don’t want to keep disturbing them.

Hoping for the best for everyone through this process.

Reactions: 3 users
Have they started sending out IIs yet?

Have they started sending out IIs yet?
I haven't heard anything from anyone - this seems to be a little later than they usually send out IIs, fingers crossed tomorrow at noon we'll hear back :)

I haven't heard anything from anyone - this seems to be a little later than they usually send out IIs, fingers crossed tomorrow at noon we'll hear back :)
Does noon tomorrow have some sort of significance? or just that its Friday?

MSTP II have already started a few weeks ago, so regular MD will probs come soon

Does noon tomorrow have some sort of significance? or just that its Friday?
I just noticed in the past Fridays at noon seems to be the time they send out the first wave of IIs :)

• Hmm
  • Love
Got an MD II at 3:05 today, complete 7/14, LizzyM 82.2, OOS but I go to their undergrad

Reactions: 6 users
Reg MD II
OOS
78 LM
S WARS
URM
Complete July 12

I applied MSTP but just got an MD II. Is this a subtle way of telling me that I didn't make it for MSTP?

I applied MSTP but just got an MD II. Is this a subtle way of telling me that I didn't make it for MSTP?
I'm in the same boat. I know they are already sending out rejections for the MSTP, so since we haven't been rejected, I hope they're still considering us? Their website says that you may get invited for an MD interview before the MSTP, and later on if you get the MSTP interview, you won't need to repeat the MD interview portion.

Not sure if this is a dumb question but there's only 3 available interview dates in Sept now and I can't do those 3 days so will they add new ones or will later interview slots only be for people who received an invite later?
I would email them, when I signed up there was only 5 available dates total and that was 5 minutes after getting interview invite

Hi friends, back again for another admissions cycle! I'm a current M2 at WashU and an admissions liaison. Feel free to reach out with questions about the school or the application process, and good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II received!! So so happy!! OOS, ORM, complete 08/15!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
II this morning! Complete 7/14, interviewing 10/19

II earlier today! Complete 7/13. Absolutely shocked to get an invite from my dream school.

So is there no general interview session ? We just log into the AMP when it’s time for our interview?

So is there no general interview session ? We just log into the AMP when it’s time for our interview?
They have a few events at the end of the day: admissions leadership, financial office, virtual tour and meet the students. But yeah, otherwise, you just have to log in to amp before each interview