2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where are people getting the tuition info from?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello hello. been a lurker for a bit but decided to engage here. also submitted 12/5 and waiting for a callback

Reactions: 2 users
Got an II on 12/15 and said I was ok for any of the dates provided, however haven't heard back for confirmation on my II date. Has everyone received their confirmed II date and time?

For those that already interviewed, did you send thank you notes? If so, just to the admissions email?
I didn’t see anything about that in the interview so wondering if I should bother sending them.

Reactions: 1 user
They offered an email to reach out to them if you interviewed to ask questions, but I am still waiting for a response from an email I sent.

Also, I just looked at MSAR for this school (in detail this time lmao) and its "Pass/Fail for all courses and clerkships"

I think this makes CDU the only HBCU school with true Pass/Fail (not sure if there's internal ranking) but this is huge :p:p:p

download.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know what % of URM specifically black students CDU has to accept as an HBCU? I imagine they have to &/or they'll accept some orm students too ......

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what % of URM specifically black students CDU has to accept as an HBCU? I imagine they have to &/or they'll accept some orm students too ......
Chances any ORM will be accepted through the UCLA seats, I would predict 10% or less. Rember the school's mission is to train URM.

It look like the interview day is literally just two 20 minute interviews at two different times throughout the day. When exactly would we find out more information about the school, virtual tour, tuition, rotation sites, etc?

Reactions: 1 users
It look like the interview day is literally just two 20 minute interviews at two different times throughout the day. When exactly would we find out more information about the school, virtual tour, tuition, rotation sites, etc?
Based on the thread, during the interview and probably more after an acceptance. There's a list of clinical affiliates on their website which most likely the possible rotation sites (they match up with their residency programs' sites as well).

has anyone emailed CDU to ask about how many applicants they are gonna interview this cycle? Im not sure

I believe there is an opportunity to fill out a survey once you're done with your interview. That may be a chance to suggest an "open house" or "infosession". You can also email for this info.

technically, CDU is not an HBCU. It is a HBGU (graduate university). As far as percentages, there is no set percentage, but they will be focusing on recruiting more Black and Latinx candidates. It is also important to be aware that they are committed to recruiting a diverse class, so I presume this will include candidates who are ORM.

technically, CDU is not an HBCU. It is a HBGU (graduate university). As far as percentages, there is no set percentage, but they will be focusing on recruiting more Black and Latinx candidates. It is also important to be aware that they are committed to recruiting a diverse class, so I presume this will include candidates who are ORM.
It is an HBCU. Lol. "CU" part in HBCU is "college and universities".

Example - Meharry Medical College is categorized as an HBCU but only has graduate programs. Making it a historical Black college (it only has graduate level programs so it's a college). CDU is a historical Black University as CDU in it's entirety has undergrad and graduate programs.

It is an HBCU. Lol. "CU" part in HBCU is "college and universities".

Example - Meharry Medical College is categorized as an HBCU but only has graduate programs. Making it a historical Black college (it only has graduate level programs so it's a college). CDU is a historical Black University as CDU in it's entirety has undergrad and graduate programs.
I understand what HBCU stands for. But it is not an HBCU because of the year the school was founded. They cannot categorize themselves in this manner because only institutions established on or before 1965 can be categorized this way. It is more of a political issue in my mind and it definitely affects the funding they receive. But I know this because this is always clarified by the President of the university.

Last edited:
I understand what HBCU stands for. But it is not an HBCU because of the year the school was founded. They cannot categorize themselves in this manner because only institutions established on or before 1965 can be categorized this way. It is more of a political issue in my mind. But I know this because this is always clarified by the President of the university.
Ah, just looked it up as well and I stand corrected. Thank you for the info

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II on 12/22!! However, I only have one semester of Biochem and one semester of Calculus-- wondering if I should take these in the spring?? I have other math classes and a ton of other upper-level Bio classes including grad bio classes

Last edited by a moderator:
Got an II on 12/22!! However, I only have one semester of Biochem and one semester of Calculus-- wondering if I should take these in the spring?? I have other math classes and a ton of other upper-level Bio classes including grad bio classes
Question: could you ask them please if these are hard requirements if you're unable to take the classes?

Question: could you ask them please if these are hard requirements if you're unable to take the classes?
Someone was told via email that these were indeed required. I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask again.

Someone was told via email that these were indeed required. I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask again.
yeah but they emailed applicants back saying that people will be viewed on a case by case basis

Last edited:
Got an II on 12/15 and said I was ok for any of the dates provided, however haven't heard back for confirmation on my II date. Has everyone received their confirmed II date and time?
I am in the same boat, got an II on 12/15 (responded on 12/17 since I found it in my spam folder) but I have not yet received a confirmed date or time yet. Have you?

I am in the same boat, got an II on 12/15 (responded on 12/17 since I found it in my spam folder) but I have not yet received a confirmed date or time yet. Have you?
Just keep emailing the person who sent you the email. They will eventually get back to you. You can also email the admissions department. I wouldn't stress out about it. It is a new school, and it seems like they are trying to get their scheduling system together. The entire COM department just got back from break today, so I presume you will get a reply soon.

Just keep emailing the person who sent you the email. They will eventually get back to you. You can also email the admissions department. I wouldn't stress out about it. It is a new school, and it seems like they are trying to get their scheduling system together. The entire COM department just got back from break today, so I presume you will get a reply soon.
I second this. I also got an invite on the 15th, received a “confirmation” from Rufina the same day. And then received a formal confirmation on 12/27

Primary submitted 12/21, secondary received 01/04

I second this. I also got an invite on the 15th, received a “confirmation” from Rufina the same day. And then received a formal confirmation on 12/27

Niiice, when did you submit your secondary? Or can you tell me your timeline?