2022-2023 Eastern Virginia

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What were they like? How many interviewees were in attendance / did you participate / was it interactive / did you dress up?
I scheduled my interview on a Wednesday so that I could take the full day off of work to attend the Wednesday information session beforehand. I dressed up, and most everyone there was dressed up as well. There were about 15 other applicants in attendance. It was somewhat interactive and there were plenty of opportunities to ask questions, but I myself did not speak up during the session. My interviewers were two physicians (one unsure if faculty or not and one retired) and a medical student. The interviewers were friendly enough but remained neutral throughout the interview. Questions on ethics and healthcare disparities had many highly specific follow-up questions.
 
Last edited:
Also waitlisted just now in the top tier. Interviewed 11/9. Pretty much what I expected after my interview, but not too bothered. although they were very accommodating, they left a bad taste in my mouth when rescheduling my interview due to a family emergency.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Contrary to what other posters have said, my interview felt friendly and conversational. The interviewers asked their pre-prepared questions but still allowed for a few more organic conversations. It was the most relaxing traditional interview I've had to date. Also, pro tip for the info session: don't drink too much coffee or eat anything that'll upset your stomach beforehand because that session was nearly 4 hours with only one 5 minute break.
 
Contrary to what other posters have said, my interview felt friendly and conversational. The interviewers asked their pre-prepared questions but still allowed for a few more organic conversations. It was the most relaxing traditional interview I've had to date. Also, pro tip for the info session: don't drink too much coffee or eat anything that'll upset your stomach beforehand because that session was nearly 4 hours with only one 5 minute break.
There was no opportunity to get up?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the same note of interview experience not meaning anything: I got a phone call from an adcom here post primary submission (maybe a week after in July) saying how much they enjoyed my app and “I don’t call many people at all, but yours in particular stood out to me” Interviewers and I completely gelled, laughing the whole time, swapping stories and they offered positive feedback for all of my answers ending with the faculty interviewer telling me she wishes we were in person so she could hug me because I “look so huggable” (mixed reactions telling that story irl lmao).


Waitlisted. Just do your best and know that everything else is truly so random and beyond your control.
 
Last edited:
You guys are scaring me with the "good interview experience - got waitlisted" stories 🙁 I really loved the school, especially post interview. It sucks to know it might not mean anything.
 
You guys are scaring me with the "good interview experience - got waitlisted" stories 🙁 I really loved the school, especially post interview. It sucks to know it might not mean anything.

I’m sorry I truly didn’t mean to scare you! Although to be fair, my experience isn’t unique. I think this is why so many adcoms stay stoic or neutral faced during interviews- they know so many things can change and don’t want to give the applicant too much hope. Experiencing the “you’re a shoe in! -> no A” first hand just really left me spinning so I vented.


You WILL be a physician. You WILL get into med school. Your hard work WILL pay off. The rest is confetti. Take care friend
 
interviewed 11/11, still waiting on a decision. this friday will make 4 weeks, so we will see. best of luck, everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 10/28 and haven't heard anything back yet. Interview went insanely well and I happened to meet someone on admissions prior to II. Slowly driving myself crazy trying to convince myself it may be a good thing I haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat?
 
I interviewed 10/28 and haven't heard anything back yet. Interview went insanely well and I happened to meet someone on admissions prior to II. Slowly driving myself crazy trying to convince myself it may be a good thing I haven't heard anything. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah, I’m in the same boat. People who interviewed the same week as me have already received decisions. I keep on looking back at last year’s thread trying to make sense of why I haven’t heard back yet. It looks like they give A’s & WL’s in bulk around this time of year and separately. I’m just hoping my decision comes before the holidays.
 
Yeah, I’m in the same boat. People who interviewed the same week as me have already received decisions. I keep on looking back at last year’s thread trying to make sense of why I haven’t heard back yet. It looks like they give A’s & WL’s in bulk around this time of year and separately. I’m just hoping my decision comes before the holidays.
I'm with you. It's already been 6 weeks which is typically when people hear back. Hoping no news is good news! best of luck to you with the cycle!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like they’ve been pretty conservative with giving out acceptances in November and this month. I don’t think I’ve seen one acceptance on sdn in this time period.