2022-2023 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not so fast, friend! At my interview session, they said it takes at least 1 month to come to a decision. So don't you dare give up yet!

Also, MSU CHM publishes their decision dates on their website (linked below). Tomorrow, 12/14, was one of the dates listed. The date that you'd be more likely to hear is 1/18.

Here's the list:
View attachment 363304

Link: Application Process | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University

Edit: date
At ours, they told us most of us would find out before Christmas. And looking at previous years, they always call those accepted the night before, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get in. It sucks. This is my 2nd cycle and my only interview. It was my only hope. Nobody's fault by my own.

Members don't see this ad.

At ours, they told us most of us would find out before Christmas. And looking at previous years, they always call those accepted the night before, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get in. It sucks. This is my 2nd cycle and my only interview. It was my only hope. Nobody's fault by my own.
If you interviewed recently, you are still in the game imo. I think they take their time with As

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the A call! 11/4 Interview

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I wasn't expecting to hear back this early - based on previous A's on this thread it took at least a few weeks for most people! On my interview day they said "many" of us would hear back by the holidays but also it could very well be January. They said if you don't hear by valentine's day then something's wrong but it would be normal to take at least a few weeks

I was referred to the ABLE program. Knew it was too good to be true. Does anyone know anything else about this? Being referred doesn't even guarantee acceptance to the program and I won't know about a decision until June

I was referred to the ABLE program. Knew it was too good to be true. Does anyone know anything else about this? Being referred doesn't even guarantee acceptance to the program and I won't know about a decision until June
Were you referred pre-interview?

No, you can only be referred post-interview.
I believe if you get accepted to ABLE, it is one year of classes which you have to get some required grades in and then you automatically enroll into the med school the following year. Im not 100% sure so please check the website

As a person that almost has an identical story as yours (extreme hardship), I would be encouraged. .

I would be happy with getting into that program.

I believe if you get accepted to ABLE, it is one year of classes which you have to get some required grades in and then you automatically enroll into the med school the following year.

As a person that almost has an identical story as yours (extreme hardship), I would be encouraged. .

I would be happy with getting into that program.
Oh yeah, for sure. I mean, I'll still be a doctor. I'd take it. What scares me is the "Please understand that referral to the ABLE program does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Not all applicants referred to ABLE will be offered a position," so I may not even get in. Anxiously awaiting more information. There isn't much posted online.

Placed on alternate list today, interviewed 12/02 + IS applicant
Does anyone know what their alternate list movement looks like/rate of getting accepted off waitlist?

Idk what the movement is like. I'm WL'd too. I've tried looking and haven't found anything and no one has responded to my earlier question either
For reference, I was placed on the waitlist last year in February. Radio silence til August when ofc they said I wasn't accepted.

• Care
Oh yeah, for sure. I mean, I'll still be a doctor. I'd take it. What scares me is the "Please understand that referral to the ABLE program does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Not all applicants referred to ABLE will be offered a position," so I may not even get in. Anxiously awaiting more information. There isn't much posted online.
I read a little bit about your story on a previous comment. I think the whole idea is that since you have a lower gpa they just want to make sure you are able to handle med school. I know someone who did the program 2-3 years ago and they are doing very well in med school. You basically just have to pass a bunch of classes and you will be matriculating the following year. I do not think this is a bad news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not had any IIs from anywhere. I worked really hard for a 510. Have had an extremely difficult life which has allowed me to have greater empathy for disadvantaged people (patients).

Im starting to mentally prepare to go to the Caribbean (Ross is my top choice).

I have to move on in life and I suggest others do the same if they have gone through a few cycles like me.

Maybe Im not that great with words or perhaps I don't appear interesting but Im giving up having to sell myself to medical schools.

It should not be this hard for students when there is a shortage of physicians.

I have not had any IIs from anywhere. I worked really hard for a 510. Have had an extremely difficult life which has allowed me to have greater empathy for disadvantaged people (patients).

I have to move on in life and I suggest others do the same if they have gone through a few cycles like me.

Maybe Im not that great with words or perhaps I don't appear interesting but Im giving up having to sell myself to medical schools.

Did you apply DO? I am no expert, but managed to find success this cycle with relatively low stats. If you need someone to review PS, AMCAS app or secondaries feel free to PM me

Did you apply DO? I am no expert, but managed to find success this cycle with relatively low stats. If you need someone to review PS, AMCAS app or secondaries feel free to PM me
Yes I did. Thanks for offer, will do!

I read a little bit about your story on a previous comment. I think the whole idea is that since you have a lower gpa they just want to make sure you are able to handle med school. I know someone who did the program 2-3 years ago and they are doing very well in med school. You basically just have to pass a bunch of classes and you will be matriculating the following year. I do not think this is a bad news.
Right, I agree it's probably best I do this program before med school. BUT being referred to the ABLE program doesn't mean I'll get admitted to the ABLE program, and I don't find out if I've gotten in until June and the program starts July 1.

Idk what the movement is like. I'm WL'd too. I've tried looking and haven't found anything and no one has responded to my earlier question either
I just don't think anyone actually knows. MSUCHM doesn't do it based on rank, but someone with similar demographics has to drop for you to take their spot. This is how U of M does it too. Letters of intent really helped in that aspect, at least for a lot of my friends. I've also heard of people sending updated LOR's.

I read a thread that in previous years, there was hardly no movement on the waitlist. But I've also heard that most people who get into MSU also get into other med schools, so if there is any movement, it's not until April when people with multiple acceptances have to start narrowing down their med schools.

Sorry, I wish I had better info. I think your best bet is to write a letter of intent and an update letter. It'll show you're very interested.

I feel ya. My first cycle, I applied to 63 schools and didn't get a single interview. Honestly, and please understand that I don't agree with this, but I don't think adcom's give much leniency to people who had to overcome losing a parent/family member. It seems like a lot of people write about that and when I met with people from UM, they told me specifically not to write about it because it's not unique. Write about it in your special circumstance essay but not in your primary and don't make it the main focus of your secondaries.

Have you done a post-bacc or graduate school? Even with a higher MCAT, if you don't have proof that you can succeed in graduate-level science classes, you may struggle to get an acceptance.

I'm sorry man. I know this sucks. It's so unfair seeing those who had it so much easier than you succeed over you. :(

I feel ya. My first cycle, I applied to 63 schools and didn't get a single interview. Honestly, and please understand that I don't agree with this, but I don't think adcom's give much leniency to people who had to overcome losing a parent/family member. It seems like a lot of people write about that and when I met with people from UM, they told me specifically not to write about it because it's not unique. Write about it in your special circumstance essay but not in your primary and don't make it the main focus of your secondaries.

Have you done a post-bacc or graduate school? Even with a higher MCAT, if you don't have proof that you can succeed in graduate-level science classes, you may struggle to get an acceptance.

I'm sorry man. I know this sucks. It's so unfair seeing those who had it so much easier than you succeed over you. :(
Yes I have done a grad program at Wayne and did well in it imo.

I didn't really touch too much on the hardship but just spoke about how it made be a more resilient person.

Yes I agree with you about the last part.

Yes I have done a grad program at Wayne and did well in it imo.

I didn't really touch too much on the hardship but just spoke about how it made be a more resilient person.

Yes I agree with you about the last part.
Did the grad program have at least 25 credits of BCPM as defined by AAMCAS?

That seems to be important. At Hopkins, we were in quarters, so while I took 42 credits of BCPM, AAMCAS recalculated it to only 26 credits. I'm not sure why, but for schools that do grade replacement if you take graduate-level science courses, they require a certain number of credits. I think OUWB has the highest requirement of 25 credits.

I wish I had better advice for you. I'm sorry. This whole process stinks. If you don't get an interview invite to MSU, they're one of the few schools that offers counseling to go over your app. I'd deff do that. It'll show you're still interested if you choose to apply again.

I know you probs don't want to do another sort of post-bacc program (neither do I, it is a lot of money when you feel like. you've already proved yourself academically), but there are some that give you direct admission to their medical school if you do well in them. Maybe look into those? Case Western has one, but it is quite expensive. I fear that now that step 1 is P/F, residencies are going to start looking at med school ranks and you may be disadvantaged if you go to a Caribbean school.

Can you talk to a pre-med advisor from your undergrad institution? They may be able to give better advice than I can. Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more/just need to vent/whatever. Hang in there. Most schools typically interview until March, so there's still time. Don't lose hope.

Nice. I asked a prof for an updated LOR and plan on sending an update and letter of intent (closer to spring). I really want to go here. Thanks for the inspiring insight
As long as you've been waitlisted, you can send in an LOI. I recommend doing it sooner than spring. Come spring, they will also ask a bunch of people on the waitlist if they're still interested in MSU CHM.

Would now be a good time then? I was told by people to send an update and intent near waitlist movement time
Though I'm not sure what timing is better/worse, it looks like MSU-CHM answered your questions on their website (quoted, linked below).

"**If you are placed on the Alternate list, your file will remain under consideration for acceptance until we notify you of a change in your status. Alternates may add additional information (i.e., additional grades, new clinical, volunteer, and/or research experiences, additional letters of evaluation, letter of continued interest) to their file at any time. This is the only instance in which additional information will be accepted."

In my understanding, updates are best added when significant/notable, like publishing a paper/abstract, presenting at a conference, or gaining significant hours of volunteering/clinical experience/etc. Totally up to you, though. Rooting for you!!!

Link: Application Process | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University.

Would now be a good time then? I was told by people to send an update and intent near waitlist movement time
When I was waitlisted, I did mine right away. The consensus then when I asked around was to do it ASAP. They did also send out a mass email looking for continued interest around April, so I'd suggest just sending your LOI in now. I mean, their movement doesn't seem to have much rhyme or reason, but whatever gets you seen/nudges them earlier, the more you stand out.

Did anyone else get an email asking for an unofficial transcript update from this fall semester? If so, did anything come of it? Thank you

I agree. Do it sooner than later. I vote sometime next week or the week after so they can catch up on stuff from the holidays. Best of luck! :)

I'd do as many of these as you can, assuming you have them. It'll just show more interest!
(i.e., additional grades, new clinical, volunteer, and/or research experiences, additional letters of evaluation, letter of continued interest)

Anyone know if any more IIs are being sent out? Or should I assume a R at this point😮‍💨

Anyone complete in late August (22nd for me) and not hear anything yet?

Reactions: 4 users
congrats! What time did you receive the email? Also what dates were available?
recieved at 8:45 AM PST. They actually don't let you choose your dates lol. My interview email consisted of my date and time. However, you can go in the portal to change the date if you are not available. Because I am available for my date (mid-Feb) I did not change so I'm not sure what other dates are available.

Anyone else got an email stating that you were mistakenly withdrawn from their pool?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
wow was not expecting an interview invite but I got one!!!

Now can people guide me where I should go to prepare for the interview?

Anyone else got an email stating that you were mistakenly withdrawn from their pool?
That is a crazy crazy mistake. You should call

Im wondering if this has happened to me

Last edited:
As of right now with the crickets I feel like I'm flung far into a puddle off of the bayou and was never in the pool lmao

Does anyone know how important casper is to them? Has anyone been accepted with a lower casper?

I am IS, 504 MCAT, 3.9 GPA... complete since August, anyone similar hear anything?

I am IS, 504 MCAT, 3.9 GPA... complete since August, anyone similar hear anything?
In state, 3.56 grad GPA, 3.1 undergrad, 510 MCAT, ORM, complete since Aug 22nd.

Silence

Sorry about that. When were you complete?
yeah, i've come to terms with it, no MD II's and i guess the R's will starting rolling in now :(
i was complete a little late around 10/15 because this school is OOS for me

• Care
Pre II R. IS, 511, 3.54, Q4 Casper. Complete 10/4. Think I'm re app bound for my first cycle...

• Care