2022-2023 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
100% same. gonna have to reapply
Strength in numbers... lots to think about in these next few months. Best of luck to you and all who remain!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre II R. IS, 511, 3.54, Q4 Casper. Complete 10/4. Think I'm re app bound for my first cycle...
Good stats! Im sure you will get in next year! If I don't get in now, Im doing DO or Carib and just study my ssa of for Step 2s

100% same. gonna have to reapply
Strength in numbers... lots to think about in these next few months. Best of luck to you and all who remain!
For what it's worth, you're definitely not alone. This was my second year applying MD. Last year was a struggle, but I felt much better prepared this year. Whatever happens, I'm sending good vibes and wishing you the best of luck!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Anybody know what the dress code is for the accepted students first look day? Business casual? More casual than that? Thanks!

Anybody know what the dress code is for the accepted students first look day? Business casual? More casual than that? Thanks!
That sounds like a great question to email admissions about. I'm suspecting business casual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if our mcat score is blind to those on interview day and/or during the final decision?

Got the pre II R today. Got an interview last year, was waitlisted until the first day of class. Couldn't do the self assessment because I was on the alternate list the entire time. Really spent time redoing my entire app., had more volunteer/clinical hours. Just not really sure anymore. This was my top choice school.

• Care
Got the pre II R today. Got an interview last year, was waitlisted until the first day of class. Couldn't do the self assessment because I was on the alternate list the entire time. Really spent time redoing my entire app., had more volunteer/clinical hours. Just not really sure anymore. This was my top choice school.
I really wonder if they even read the apps . I also got the pre II R today.

It is an unfair process imo

I really wonder if they even read the apps . I also got the pre II R today.

It is an unfair process imo
It really is. I put my all into this and it just seems like a huge chunk of well deserved candidates are being overlooked. This is my 3rd time applying and it's taken my life from me. Not to mention the months long waiting game. There needs to be a more efficient way about admissions. We are already facing an immense predicted physician shortage in the very near future and these headgames are turning people off from the whole thing. Sorry about your R. I'm hoping you get some love from your other schools.

• Care
Pre II R. IS, 511, 3.54, Q4 Casper. Complete 10/4. Think I'm re app bound for my first cycle...
I got the pre II R too. I have similar stats which I thought would get me an II here (im not excellent)

Im baffled at how they select IIs. I have seen people with lower MCAT and Casper scores getting IIs. I thought Casper was an important screening method for them .

It makes no sense to me.

I got the pre II R too. I have similar stats which I thought would get me an II here (im not excellent)

Im baffled at how they select IIs. I have seen people with lower MCAT and Casper scores getting IIs. I thought Casper was an important screening method for them .

It makes no sense to me.
What I got from this school was that your essays and experiences were weighted heavily, since this is a mission-based school.

It makes no sense to me.
I had a similar thought process stats wise with other schools as well. The pre II Rs have been a big slap in the face to remember:

1) We are not owed or guaranteed anything

and

2) Stats are really just part of the bigger picture

I’m sure you have a few schools left as well, so I’m wishing us both luck in the last phase of this year’s cycle. Chin up!

Okay this may be a stupid question, but for M3/M4 do you move around to the 7 different campuses for clinicals or do you stay at one campus for the entire year. I know that M1/M2 is all either EL or GR. ALSO, does anyone know if there is like preference for married students to be able to stay near their families??

Okay this may be a stupid question, but for M3/M4 do you move around to the 7 different campuses for clinicals or do you stay at one campus for the entire year. I know that M1/M2 is all either EL or GR. ALSO, does anyone know if there is like preference for married students to be able to stay near their families??
And yes they said at the admissions day last week that if you have a reason to pick one campus they take that into consideration! Dunno if it's 100% for sure but he did make it seem like they genuinely do their best to accommodate

And yes they said at the admissions day last week that if you have a reason to pick one campus they take that into consideration! Dunno if it's 100% for sure but he did make it seem like they genuinely do their best to accommodate
When is campus placement determined ?

It makes no sense to me.

It makes no sense to me.
For starters congrats on your high stats! Super commendable. I will say that while metrics play a role, they only get you to the door. What really opens the door is your essays. I can’t stress just how important one’s story is. It’s not what you go through nor what activities/experiences you have but it’s how you convey them in your writing and show what your takeaways are from each. You want to tell adcoms a story through your writing. I really encourage you to do some self reflection because I found that helpful for myself when approaching my activity descriptions, personal statement, and secondary responses. I also want to emphasize that one should show equal importance to all writing pieces. Sometimes applicants edit and perfect a personal statement only and fail to do the same for the other essays. You don’t want inconsistency in your writing as it has the potential to come off as disingenuous and forced imo.

With all that said, the cycle isn’t over and there’s still other schools, so don’t lose hope! You mentioned in previous posts that you are considering applying DO next cycle. Check to see if any DO programs are accepting new apps right now. Some still do and you might surprise yourself and get an interview. Best of luck!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I’m wondering if anyone has experience or knows of anyone that was missing a pre req but was still accepted? Or if they required them to take it before matriculation or waived it.

The essays are a standard for all schools I believe

For starters congrats on your high stats! Super commendable. I will say that while metrics play a role, they only get you to the door. What really opens the door is your essays. I can’t stress just how important one’s story is. It’s not what you go through nor what activities/experiences you have but it’s how you convey them in your writing and show what your takeaways are from each. You want to tell adcoms a story through your writing. I really encourage you to do some self reflection because I found that helpful for myself when approaching my activity descriptions, personal statement, and secondary responses. I also want to emphasize that one should show equal importance to all writing pieces. Sometimes applicants edit and perfect a personal statement only and fail to do the same for the other essays. You don’t want inconsistency in your writing as it has the potential to come off as disingenuous and forced imo.

With all that said, the cycle isn’t over and there’s still other schools, so don’t lose hope! You mentioned in previous posts that you are considering applying DO next cycle. Check to see if any DO programs are accepting new apps right now. Some still do and you might surprise yourself and get an interview. Best of luck!
I agree with this 100%, and thats why the admissions committee kept highlighting when they called for the A. "Your story and experiences were X,Y,Z,". I am a second time applicant, and this cycle I really focused on my personal statement and secondaries and it has been the best cycle thus far.

• Love

Thanks for your input.

I will just say sometimes it really is a roll of the dice. The process is too subjective and I truly hope some objectivity returns to it in the next decade for the sake of quality patient care.

Thanks for your input.

I will just say sometimes it really is a roll of the dice. The process is too subjective and I truly hope some objectivity returns to it in the next decade for the sake of quality patient care.
I hear ya. Not too sure what this means because I don’t think putting emphasis on one’s story takes away from our future patients’ quality of care. If anything I think it will lead to better patient care. Also I don’t think stats are super objective, if that’s what you’re referring to, they’re more so a constant. Regardless you’ll find the perfect program for you and I wish you all the best! Commend yourself for coming this far!

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with this 100%, and thats why the admissions committee kept highlighting when they called for the A. "Your story and experiences were X,Y,Z,". I am a second time applicant, and this cycle I really focused on my personal statement and secondaries and it has been the best cycle thus far.
Congratulations on all your successes!! Future doc loading 🪫…🔋

I’m wondering if anyone has experience or knows of anyone that was missing a pre req but was still accepted? Or if they required them to take it before matriculation or waived it.
From what I’ve heard they expect you to have completed all pre reqs prior to matriculation even if accepted

From what I’ve heard they expect you to have completed all pre reqs prior to matriculation even if accepted
Agreed. Their website states: "Applicants and Subsequent Matriculants to the MSU College of Human Medicine must: . . . Have completed all premedical requirements, including a bachelor's degree earned in the U.S. or Canada."

They have four prerequisite models, so it looks like they try to be as flexible as possible. If you're missing a class, it looks like they accept AP/CLEP credit. You may be able to take a CLEP and test out. For required labs, you can also: "meet lab credit with the lab sections of advanced science courses or practical experience, such as documented relevant experience in a research lab."

Source: Requirements | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University

I asked about this. You can send a thank you to the general admissions email and they will forward to the appropriate people if you choose to do individual ones.
I don’t have the names of all my interviewers. Is that something admissions can provide me with? How did you or anyone else approach this?

I don’t have the names of all my interviewers. Is that something admissions can provide me with? How did you or anyone else approach this?
After I interviewed, I emailed admissions and asked for the correct spelling of my interviewers names (one student, one faculty). They sent the names over and then I sent my thank yous back to admissions and they forwarded it.

After I interviewed, I emailed admissions and asked for the correct spelling of my interviewers names (one student, one faculty). They sent the names over and then I sent my thank yous back to admissions and they forwarded it.
So you didn’t send one to all 8 of the mmi interviewers?

So you didn’t send one to all 8 of the mmi interviewers?
My interview was during the pandemic and I only had a student interviewer and a faculty, no MMI. But the office should be able to give you all the names, in your case I'd send to all.

Wondering if any current students are lurking and can answer a few questions:

-In terms of the in person / group activity requirements - how hefty are they? I have a dog and am wary about having to be on campus excessively - obviously expect some, but I've seen other students say that it's a lot of in person requirements?

-On the same topic of a dog - do you know of med students who successfully have one for the first few years of MSU? I know of other schools where it's super easy to have one (other students willing to hang out with a pup to dog sit and what not) and some where you're shooting yourself in the foot.

-Campus choice - do we actually get to choose between EL/GR for the first two years? I know they split it 50/50 but do they take our prefs into account at least a bit?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone's conditional acceptance changed to a formal acceptance?

My CBC was sparkling clean, finished processing on 01/10/2023, and I released it to the school on 01/10/2023.

My CBC was sparkling clean, finished processing on 01/10/2023, and I released it to the school on 01/10/2023.
Mine hasn’t changed either

Wondering if any current students are lurking and can answer a few questions:

-In terms of the in person / group activity requirements - how hefty are they? I have a dog and am wary about having to be on campus excessively - obviously expect some, but I've seen other students say that it's a lot of in person requirements?

-On the same topic of a dog - do you know of med students who successfully have one for the first few years of MSU? I know of other schools where it's super easy to have one (other students willing to hang out with a pup to dog sit and what not) and some where you're shooting yourself in the foot.

-Campus choice - do we actually get to choose between EL/GR for the first two years? I know they split it 50/50 but do they take our prefs into account at least a bit?

Thanks in advance!

Currently a lurking M4 with too much free time before match so I'm happy to answer this and anyone else's questions! My experience at CHM has been great and I encourage any of you with acceptances to strongly consider CHM, very underrated school in my opinion especially when comparing my own and my friends' experiences to those of friends at other med schools.

1. First and second year is heavily in-person, this is a fact but is not as bad as it sounds. I went back and looked at my calendars from M1 and M2, we had in-person classes pretty much daily (this changed with COVID but I think it's back to mostly normal). One large-group activity Monday from 8-noon, one simulation lab Thursday 8-noon, and a couple small group activities + path lab + anatomy lab scattered throughout the week. As M1 progresses you have 1-2 clinical days per week that are 4 hours each and where you are basically an MA for a PCP office. The whole MA thing was fun at first especially if you have never had a clinical or patient-facing job previously but got tedious towards the end of the year. Altogether, if you had a full-time job before medical school this will feel incredibly light with regards to demands on your time, if not then it will probably seem like a lot. You will have a TON of time to study / go to the gym / hang out with friends / whatever you like during M1 and M2. Additionally, the only "grades" you get are on 2 board-style exams and 2 clinical skills exams per semester, so essentially the in-person aspect is just for attendance and you can spend your entire time in class doing Anki and studying for Step 1. You will have more time to study for Step 1 than just about any other medical school I've heard of simply because you only have to pass those 4 exams a semester, with the bar for passing being incredibly low during M1 and M2.

2. I know a few people who had dogs and brought them to med school, and others who got a dog during med school. Not sure about figuring out dog sitting with other students but you will not be away from home for more than 4-5 hours most days. On the other hand there are probably infrequent days where you will be gone for 8 hours, so take that into consideration.

3. You get to "choose" EL/GR in the sense that you submit your preference for GR and then get told to go to EL. IIRC something like 70-80% of our class preferenced GR, obviously they cannot accommodate that. If its more than 50% it goes to a lottery. I got placed in EL and honestly it was a blessing in disguise. Cost of living MUCH lower, cool Big10 campus vibe I didn't get to enjoy at my undergrad, beautiful nature in the city and nearby. EL is very underrated and honestly it is what you make of it but I'm glad I was in EL and wouldn't change it if I could go back. FWIW the vibes of the students in EL are much more chill and the GR vibes are much more gunner-y.

Reactions: 6 users

Same here.

Same here.
+1.

They aimed to start processing formal acceptances late last week when I called, but looks like they didn't get to it. Hoping they do this week and all of us get our preferred campus placements.

• Love