2022-2023 Michigan

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have two questions that are unrelated to each other.

1. For the secondary prompt in the section that asks for experiences, how are we supposed to consider two separate activities that fit in the same categories? For example, I have worked in a research lab for 1.5 years and in another lab for 1 year. I worked in both labs at the same time. Would I consider that 1.5 years of experience, or do I specify each one separately?

2. For the people who may have gotten II's or accepted (from any cycle, not just this one) without doing gap years, what did it take? I plan on graduating in December (4.5 years of undergrad as a CS major at UM) and I want to know how I compare to others.
 
might be a dumb question but for the "Activity/#years" portion do we just put a numerical answer or also the name/brief description of that activity....?
 
might be a dumb question but for the "Activity/#years" portion do we just put a numerical answer or also the name/brief description of that activity....?
I tried doing the name/description approach but there was just not enough space for that, so I just listed the years I did that category of activity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
like literally ... "Research - 2.5 years" ? It looks really wrong lol
Yeah that's what I did HAHA I figured they're just trying to get an idea of what boxes you check off maybe? Like "oh they did 2 years of research, now let me look at their AMCAS and see what specifically they did"
 
any of yall hear about the walk out during the white coat ceremony yesterday? Do you think it will delay II?

edit since people are pming me: the university chose an open anti-abortion/ republican doctor, Kristin Collier, to keynote at the white coat ceremony and students signed a petition to get it changed. The university did not listen so a majority of the students walked out during their ceremony yesterday.
 
Last edited:
any of yall hear about the walk out during the white coat ceremony yesterday? Do you think it will delay II?

edit since people are pming me: the university chose an open anti-abortion/ republican doctor, Kristin Collier, to keynote at the white coat ceremony and students signed a petition to get it changed. The university did not listen so a majority of the students walked out during their ceremony yesterday.
I saw that this AM- i was lowkey shook. I think they might delay II, but at the same time who know how admissions work
 
In the experiences section, for the number of years, should I include the upcoming year until August 2023 if I'm sure that I'll be continuing that activity?
I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I wanted to let you know that I really appreciate the reference in your username
 
A little confused by this secondary. Do they not have a specific "Why Us" essay? Is that what essay 1 is meant to be?
 
I wasn't sure whether the Roe decision would be part of in the interviews...but given this, I think it's fair game.
I expect that the consequences of Dobbs on access and training would be fair for discussion. Including candidate questions to med school students, staff, administration,
and faculty.

But given the situation, it would be fair to ask what would you do: Walk out or stay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve heard they usually start with OOS for II’s, does anyone know how true that is?
It’s true, at least it was when interviews were in person. A mentor of mine is on the admissions committee and they do send OOS IIs first to avoid unnecessary snowy winter travel for those coming from far away. Not sure if that still holds given the virtual format these days.
 
Does anyone happen to know how this works if it is a Michigan Monday? Like if they announce that it is, are all the invites sent at once where we'd know either yes or no, or are we like gonna be waiting all day hoping that we're included in that and could get an email any time throughout the day?
 
OMG this anxiety is killing me 🙁 based on their Twitter history it seems most Monday twitter gone out like 8-9 AM. Maybe it will happen next week bc of the walk out that caused the delay?
 
anyone else unable to log into their portal? Telling me I have the wrong username or pw though I’m sure I’m using the right one
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are online courses still accepted? thanks
Most schools don't accept pre-req courses taken online. However, if the courses were only offered online due to COVID, they will accept. Same thing for pass/fail (as many schools only offered mandatory pass/fail for the Spring of 2020). Hope this helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad