You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Minnesota
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Do tell how has it been for a non-trad, and which type of non-trad ? meaning did you take a gap year or are you over 35 old career changer etc ?Late to the party but if there are any questions about pre-clinical years I'd be happy to try and answer them. I can provide a non-trad perspective for those who want it.
Thank you.
Are you a good fit to the school mission? and have some meaningful experiences in your ECs that aling withe the school mission and any of the current new pathways? if yes then do it, if not then probably a very long shot.If I'm ORM and have no ties to Minnesota is there any point in finishing my secondary today? I'm guessing no lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how many applicants they interview/ how many offers of acceptance they give for the MSTP program? I see the total number of applications, but no data on how many are interviewed/offered.
That probaly changes from year to year depending on the applicant pool, that said MSTP usually gets less app so they might be more generous with interviews as long as the applicant has a strong research background.Does anyone know how many applicants they interview/ how many offers of acceptance they give for the MSTP program? I see the total number of applications, but no data on how many are interviewed/offered.
MediHopeful
Full Member
Does anyone have any good resources/strategies for preparing for the MMI at the U?
I would search up for some general questions. I did mine a few weeks ago and it wasn’t too bad.Does anyone have any good resources/strategies for preparing for the MMI at the U?
I would assume so. i submitted first day and was one of the first groups to interview.Does anyone know if Minnesota primarily reviews applications in chronological order?
lcm.md.mom
Full Member
+1 Exact same submittal date and have heard nothing. OOS applicant.Has anyone who submitted late July heard back yet? Complete 7/28 and figured I’d see people posting about getting October interviews.
I submitted 7/20 with my interview last month.Has anyone who submitted late July heard back yet? Complete 7/28 and figured I’d see people posting about getting October interviews.
ijustwannagetinT-T
Full Member
II OOS 10/11! Complete on 8/2!
Has anyone who submitted late July heard back yet? Complete 7/28 and figured I’d see people posting about getting October interviews.
Complete 7/27 and nothing
Anistole
Full Member
Sorry to be checking in late. I just wanted to make others aware. I am an OOS applicant who was complete on 7/11. I received an interview invite on 9/22 for the TC campus and will be interviewing on 10/13. I don't have any specific ties to the state other than being from a neighboring state. I also have unusually significant healthcare experience working in underserved areas that aligns well with their urban health pathway.
Last edited:
I'm an over 35 career changer with a family.Do tell how has it been for a non-trad, and which type of non-trad ? meaning did you take a gap year or are you over 35 old career changer etc ?
Thank you.
It's been a good and hard experience. The biggest challenge for me has been navigating the need to balance time on school with time for my family. I'm aiming at a mid-tier specialty so I'm not comfortable only attending classes and am working on a fairly substantial research project. This has made navigating schedules more complicated and I don't spend a lot of time on other extracurriculars. Support from the school has been good in my opinion. I believe my faculty advisor has done a good job getting me on a good path to where I want to be and admin is flexible when I need time off to handle family, home, or misc. issues in my life. I have found how much the class schedule changes challenging. It is very rare that the class schedule will stay the same for longer than two weeks which has made scheduling with my partner more difficult. Pass/Fail grading has been very helpful. In my opinion the material covered in year one isn't very important for clinical care so I took that as an opportunity to focus on things besides classes. Now in year two I'm spending more time on classes and the temptation to only pass is counter balanced by the knowledge that what I'm learning may be pertinent to a future patients care some day. Finally, there's a few other individuals in a similar stage of life as me which has made forming strong friendships easier. It's not something I thought of before starting school, but having other parents/career changers to spend time with with has been incredibly helpful.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received the email about going to these RSVP events. Anyone signing up to any of these?
I was going to see if I could attend ones based on my availability! A lot of them are 12-1 and don't work with my time difference.I just received the email about going to these RSVP events. Anyone signing up to any of these?
caffinated
Full Member
R pre-II today, complete 7/22 applied urban pathway. First R of the cycle, definitely stings more because I’m IS and my family is all around there
Has anyone who submitted late July heard back yet? Complete 7/28 and figured I’d see people posting about getting October interviews.
Looks like we’re getting ghosted [emoji28]
Naaaa there has been a healthy number of rejections.Looks like we’re getting ghosted [emoji28]
Naaaa there has been a healthy number of rejections.
Praying it’s a good sign that I didn’t hear back then
If I understand correctly, the initial round of review is completed by two independent faculty members. While apps are sent out in chronological order, review is not always completed in the same order due to variation in physician schedules. At this point in the cycle, no news is probably neutral news.
D
deleted1022805
I am in confusionCongratulations.
Comment Deleted, I was busy at work and thought it was an II, not an R... 😱.I am in confusion
😱😱
Lithium Carbonate
Full Member
OOS II 10/17, complete 8/12, LM 72
OOS II 10/17, complete 8/12, LM 72
Saw your other post today. Looks like you had a rollercoaster of a day eh? Congrats!
Lithium Carbonate
Full Member
Saw your other post today. Looks like you had a rollercoaster of a day eh? Congrats!
Thank you! Can’t complain since I somehow got an II but this cycle has definitely been a whirlwind and it’s only getting started… very best of luck to you!
D
deleted1140762
First II of the cycle at the Duluth campus a few hours ago! IS complete 7/15.
lcm.md.mom
Full Member
Pre-II R for Twin Cities campus on 10/16. OOS.
Date completed? Pathway?Pre-II R for Twin Cities campus on 10/16. OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lcm.md.mom
Full Member
Complete 7/28 for Urban pathwayDate completed? Pathway?
quintesentialy
New Member
II today! IS, LM 80, Twin Cities campus, complete 7/29!
Last edited:
OOS II today! ORM, Twin Cities, complete July
will there be a "teamwork" MMI station where we interact with the interviewer to complete a certain task?
Anistole
Full Member
will there be a "teamwork" MMI station where we interact with the interviewer to complete a certain task?
On my interview day, 2/3 of the MMI stations were a traditional question-and-answer while 1/3 were more "teamwork".
Had a dream that I got an A last night. Woke up this morning in panic, questioning what day it was hahahaha
D
deleted1145155
Had a dream that I got an A last night. Woke up this morning in panic, questioning what day it was hahahaha
I feel you.
December 9th......
This wait is killing me, complete mid August and total silence since then. So odd since I am a reapplicant and last year I submitted my secondary around mid October and received and II a month later. Anyone else been waiting more than two months to hear back??
This wait is killing me, complete mid August and total silence since then. So odd since I am a reapplicant and last year I submitted my secondary around mid October and received and II a month later. Anyone else been waiting more than two months to hear back??
Complete around same time and nothing yet, since many Pre II rejections has been sent, I think it’s a good sign? Idk just speculating
Hoping we are in the next II wave 🤞Complete around same time and nothing yet, since many Pre II rejections has been sent, I think it’s a good sign? Idk just speculating
Hoping we are in the next II wave [emoji1696]
I hope soooo
An II Tsuami 🌊 would be nice....
An II Tsuami [emoji305] would be nice....
Honestly
+1 i feel the same way as well!This wait is killing me, complete mid August and total silence since then. So odd since I am a reapplicant and last year I submitted my secondary around mid October and received and II a month later. Anyone else been waiting more than two months to hear back??
II this am, complete 7/29, OOS but strong ties
Edited to add: my secondary even had a minor typo, which was clearly forgiven!
Edited to add: my secondary even had a minor typo, which was clearly forgiven!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hotpotato98
Full Member
II invite to Twin Cities campus at 5 pm!!! Also IS. Finished secondary 8/9
maryckelly
New Member
Also complete around the same time and still nothing.This wait is killing me, complete mid August and total silence since then. So odd since I am a reapplicant and last year I submitted my secondary around mid October and received and II a month later. Anyone else been waiting more than two months to hear back??
This wait is killing me, complete mid August and total silence since then. So odd since I am a reapplicant and last year I submitted my secondary around mid October and received and II a month later. Anyone else been waiting more than two months to hear back??
This is what I've been thinking while waiting for my II:
This is the first year they're doing the new admissions process. It does seem both campuses are a little bit behind schedule compared to previous cycles.
The admissions page is pretty transparent about the process. It looks like if you haven't been rejected yet, I would assume one would have passed at least one of the two faculty screens.
The rest is speculation after getting my II:
The first batches of decisions will be released December 9. My II had only two options for dates, Tuesday 11/08 or 11/15. I'm going to guess that they won't be conducting interviews the week of thanksgiving, so it might be a bit of a lul until the next wave of II's goes out! The new process is supposed to make it more fair for applicants who applied later, so I'm not stressing as much about being in either batch. I'm not really sure I'll be in the Dec 9 drop date, but I guess I'll know soon enough.
This is what I've been thinking while waiting for my II:
This is the first year they're doing the new admissions process. It does seem both campuses are a little bit behind schedule compared to previous cycles.
The admissions page is pretty transparent about the process. It looks like if you haven't been rejected yet, I would assume one would have passed at least one of the two faculty screens.
The rest is speculation after getting my II:
The first batches of decisions will be released December 9. My II had only two options for dates, Tuesday 11/08 or 11/15. I'm going to guess that they won't be conducting interviews the week of thanksgiving, so it might be a bit of a lul until the next wave of II's goes out! The new process is supposed to make it more fair for applicants who applied later, so I'm not stressing as much about being in either batch. I'm not really sure I'll be in the Dec 9 drop date, but I guess I'll know soon enough.
Someone feel free to correct me, but I recall them saying that all interviews prior to 12/9 would be considered for that date. They’ll probably not be interviewing too close to that date because of that strict timeline, but that’s just me speculating.