2023-2024 NYU (Grossman)

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do yall think that building a computer with my summer income is a good non-academic accomplishment? Or for the difficulty of remaining respectful, would a brief interaction with a patient with differing views be good? For both, I can go much more in depth, of course.
What do you mean by building a computer? Do you mean you just bought parts and put them together? If so that's not really much more of an accomplishment than putting together ikea furniture or something, though maybe if it was your first job or something you could talk about saving up the money. This one's kind of a gamble because it sounds impressive to like a boomer who doesn't really know what it entails while if the person who's reading it actually knows how easy putting together a computer is it falls apart.

I think the patient interaction is stronger.
 
Yes you can include future stuff in CV (assuming everything is accepted) though it's generally advised to put them under a separate heading such as "Future Presentations and Publications" so it doesn't look like you're trying to fluff up what you already have. At least, that is what I did.

I like to add some brackets and put in the day you're expecting to see everything published so it's clear that it is in the future
I don't think there's anything wrong putting (manuscript in preparation / accepted) where the date should be. no need for a whole other section.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My NYU portal says "Your application is ready" whereas some portals say "Your application is complete." Is there any difference between the two?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any movement? Been weirdly quiet...unsure if they just send out massive batches. Even so, seems like the first batch was so long ago...
I think it looks like they send out massive batches. I believe in that first batch they filled up the interview slots out to late October and maybe even early November (think I remember one of my friends saying that’s when their interview is. I think they wrap up interviews somewhat early ish (like December or January) so if their plan is to send out a massive batch again, they can probably only do one batch with the limited slots left, so they might wait a while before doing so.
 
Interesting. July 28 is super early to have sent out over half the interviews already though, or the vast majority. They interview ~1000 people per year. Did they really sift through so many apps in the ~23 days or so between when they sent out secondaries and when they did the wave of II in the end of July to issue out well over 500 or 700 II? That's absolutely wild if so

That’s faster than Pitt and Pitt was hella fast haha
 
Interesting. July 28 is super early to have sent out over half the interviews already though, or the vast majority. They interview ~1000 people per year. Did they really sift through so many apps in the ~23 days or so between when they sent out secondaries and when they did the wave of II in the end of July to issue out well over 500 or 700 II? That's absolutely wild if so
Crazy fast if they did, but it might be the case... The website says the interview season ends in December and decisions come out in January, so if slots are already full through early November, you'd think that means over half of their IIs were sent out. Unless they're going to just have a ton of dates open in Nov/Dec to account for all of the apps sent in after 7/28 and any they want to come back to from the first wave (fingers crossed!!)
 
Does anyone know how they feel about updates? I know there's an option to upload an update, but I can't find anything specific (ie before/after II)... Although if they're moving this fast, idk if I'll have enough to update on before they send the next (final?) wave of IIs 😅
 
Does anyone know how they feel about updates? I know there's an option to upload an update, but I can't find anything specific (ie before/after II)... Although if they're moving this fast, idk if I'll have enough to update on before they send the next (final?) wave of IIs 😅
Admissions said they send your file to committee within a couple of days of your completed interview, so they encourage sending significant updates no later than a day or two after interview.
 
I remember watching an interview with Dean Rivera, where he mentions that NYU distributes its IIs evenly throughout the cycle because they know how many applicants they generally get each month in the cycle. So unless they radically changed their approach for this cycle, I think it's unlikely that they already gave out half their interview spots by July 28. I think it's more likely that they have more spots in Oct and Nov that are unfilled so far. Again I'm just another applicant and this is all speculation but based on what Dean Rivera said...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Y'all think that they'll be distributed throughout the day, or do they come all at once?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad