Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I arrived there at night and saw the mercy hospital glowing with the spectacular lights... I was impressed. I haven't been inside. Any idea on the technology they are rocking?
The hospital is very nice. Parts of it are outdated, but they are working hard to update those areas (it's been there for as long as Fort Smith has been around). The two hospitals in the city, Mercy and Sparks, are drastically different. Mercy is on the wealthier side of town vs. Sparks on the rougher side (their patient populations are much different). Mercy's L&D is probably one of the nicest on this side of the state. They have a better surgery group I'd say too. Their clinics are even more impressive as of late and that's where most of their money has been pumped into. Sparks has newer ER, ICU, IR, and cath lab units. Their cardiology is top notch too. Mercy is a trauma III right now but now has a neurosurgery group working that is supposed to possibly bump them up to a level II. Sparks has every right to be a level III, and possibly level II, but had a trauma coordinator die unexpectedly and has since lost their trauma accreditation. Kind of a long way to say that you can really get whatever experience you're looking for with these two hospitals because they are polar opposites of each other.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hoping phone calls go out today!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview 10/28 got acceptance letter today dated 11/22 so happy

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm very interested in ACOM. Maybe that'll be the difference :)
Don't worry you got this I'm a reapp 2nd time applying took the MCAT twice MCAT was so low the the first time i only got 1 interview at my state school you don't know rejection until you've been rejected 20 times don't give up

Don't worry you got this I'm a reapp 2nd time applying took the MCAT twice MCAT was so low the the first time i only got 1 interview at my state school you don't know rejection until you've been rejected 20 times don't give up

Congrats. So happy for you!

Missed a call from ARCOM 11/21 but received an acceptance via snail mail today (11/28)! Interviewed on 11/4

Reactions: 3 users
Missed a call from ARCOM 11/21 but received an acceptance via snail mail today (11/28)! Interviewed on 11/4
Hopefully that means the mid November interviewees will hear something soon!

Just wanting some other opinions. If I have been accepted into both ARCOM and NYITCOM in Jonesboro which school do you believe is the better option? And why? Thanks in advance!

Just wanting some other opinions. If I have been accepted into both ARCOM and NYITCOM in Jonesboro which school do you believe is the better option? And why? Thanks in advance!
It's your personal preference ARCOM was my top choice I fell in love with the school and the location I like the idea of being the first class why be the 2nd when you can be the first. My mentor is also a adjunct professor there and he is amazing. I like the idea of having a person that I can touch teaching me (at NYITCOM some classes are Skyped from NY). I also like that there is nothing there but the medical school so I'll get all the attention literally and the parking will be awesome. It will help me be more focused and I believe because we are the only students on campus we will be like one big disfuctional family. But the same things I like you make not like.

Both have their advantages. Jonesboro and Fort Smith are similar cities. Jonesboro has a larger university associated with it, so research may be better there down the road. Fort Smith has Mercy and that allows for great job connections all over for later on. Jonesboro has Memphis near by, and Fort Smith has Fayetteville/Tulsa. ARCOM is cheaper and cost of living is lower. Neither are bad. Jonesboro's first class won't be very strong IMO. They started recruiting students halfway through the cycle last year, so they were forced to take students that they probably wouldn't have had to otherwise. This year will be much different. I imagine the board scores will be similar. Go with your gut. 4 years is a long time to be somewhere you hate.

Just declined my acceptance. Best of luck to all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone accepted heard anything about the deposit yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's your personal preference ARCOM was my top choice I fell in love with the school and the location I like the idea of being the first class why be the 2nd when you can be the first. My mentor is also a adjunct professor there and he is amazing. I like the idea of having a person that I can touch teaching me (at NYITCOM some classes are Skyped from NY). I also like that there is nothing there but the medical school so I'll get all the attention literally and the parking will be awesome. It will help me be more focused and I believe because we are the only students on campus we will be like one big disfuctional family. But the same things I like you make not like.
I was sold on the parking :laugh:

I can't stand The University of Oklahoma's parking! :caution:

I have my interview on Friday. Can anyone tell me how it's like, and what they ask?

Last edited:
I have my interview on Friday. Can anyone tell me how it's like, and what they ask?
20 Mini Medical scenarios then a panel of 6 staff with each with one ethical situation...

I'm just kidding! It's extremely laid back and like a conversation. There are structured questions, but for the most part (for me) it was fairly free flowing. Just be yourself and you'll be fine :banana:

20 Mini Medical scenarios then a panel of 6 staff with each with one ethical situation...

I'm just kidding! It's extremely laid back and like a conversation. There are structured questions, but for the most part (for me) it was fairly free flowing. Just be yourself and you'll be fine :banana:

Thanks, man. I'm getting nervous. I feel that I'll mess up answering "Why do you want to practice medicine?" by not giving an adequate answer. I like helping people, having a strong set of knowledge, and using that information to solve medical "puzzles".

Thanks, man. I'm getting nervous. I feel that I'll mess up answering "Why do you want to practice medicine?" by not giving an adequate answer. I like helping people, having a strong set of knowledge, and using that information to solve medical "puzzles".
The two interviews I've attended I haven't been asked that question. I think that's more of a committee interview question. Of course prepare a response, but a lot of the times the interviewers can extract that information from "round about" questions. I think the toughest question during my interview was a question I brought up... I took an ethics courses and brought it up :slap:

I don't things have changed, so it should be completely blind!

The two interviews I've attended I haven't been asked that question. I think that's more of a committee interview question. Of course prepare a response, but a lot of the times the interviewers can extract that information from "round about" questions. I think the toughest question during my interview was a question I brought up... I took an ethics courses and brought it up :slap:

I don't things have changed, so it should be completely blind!

Oh, man. I won't mention ethics. Is the whole day meet and greet? I'm socially awkward.

I've been asked that question on both of my interviews and wouldn't recommend that answer. Say you shadowed a doc and watched him make incredible impacts (blah blah blah) on patients and want to have the opportunity to make that kind of lasting impact everyday as a physician (something like that). Draw from personal experiences, not so generic. Answers like that get a return like "so why not become a PA/APN? It's cheaper." And then it's a scramble to be politically correct and not bash on what midlevels do for healthcare.

The interview is super relaxed. Why DO, why medicine, and why Fort Smith will be brought up in some round about way. Other than that, it's a conversation with two people to see if you're a normal human.

Oh, man. I won't mention ethics. Is the whole day meet and greet? I'm socially awkward.
Yes but they approach you from what I experienced. Ask where you're from and things like that. They tell you about themselves. They did 98% of the talking the whole day. You'll be fine!

I've been asked that question on both of my interviews and wouldn't recommend that answer. Say you shadowed a doc and watched him make incredible impacts (blah blah blah) on patients and want to have the opportunity to make that kind of lasting impact everyday as a physician (something like that). Draw from personal experiences, not so generic. Answers like that get a return like "so why not become a PA/APN? It's cheaper." And then it's a scramble to be politically correct and not bash on what midlevels do for healthcare.

The interview is super relaxed. Why DO, why medicine, and why Fort Smith will be brought up in some round about way. Other than that, it's a conversation with two people to see if you're a normal human.

Thanks for the heads up! That was my greatest fear that if I mention helping people, they'll mention why not nursing or something else. I'll spend the night before in my hotel preparing thoroughly.

I interviewed September 30th.

You arrive and are dazzled by the marble everything... It's a beautiful facility. After the dazzling you are shuffled 5 feet to the reception desk where you pick up a name tag and a cookie (I grabbed a water and some coffee). You meet the staff and dean etc.. That meeting and greeting lasted 25 minutes. It was quite nice! This is where you begin making the impression on the staff. After this your stuffed into a spacious room with 11 other applicants, for which you listen to an exciting and hilarious presentation from Dr. Fudge. I went to my interview directly after this... That was quite nice, 2 interviewers and a completely blind interview. After the interview, the stress dissipates and you can enjoy the rest of your evening! Expect, there is a pop quiz and a group activity (both were quite fun). This process (in my opinion) displays cooperation as well as "out of the box" thinking (especially on the essay/quiz). The touring of the complex and lunch is sprinkled in there somewhere... lunch is as a group. The conclusion of the day is a final goodbye with all the faculty, for which you will hopefully see again after you accept your acceptance!

You arrive and are dazzled by the marble everything... It's a beautiful facility. After the dazzling you are shuffled 5 feet to the reception desk where you pick up a name tag and a cookie (I grabbed a water and some coffee). You meet the staff and dean etc.. That meeting and greeting lasted 25 minutes. It was quite nice! This is where you begin making the impression on the staff. After this your stuffed into a spacious room with 11 other applicants, for which you listen to an exciting and hilarious presentation from Dr. Fudge. I went to my interview directly after this... That was quite nice, 2 interviewers and a completely blind interview. After the interview, the stress dissipates and you can enjoy the rest of your evening! Expect, there is a pop quiz and a group activity (both were quite fun). This process (in my opinion) displays cooperation as well as "out of the box" thinking (especially on the essay/quiz). The touring of the complex and lunch is sprinkled in there somewhere... lunch is as a group. The conclusion of the day is a final goodbye with all the faculty, for which you will hopefully see again after you accept your acceptance!
You passed on the cookies?! Man, your self-control is admirable :laugh: they were the bomb!

I have a feeling my mind will go blank, so I'll smile, thank them, and struggle to leave an impression.

I have a feeling my mind will go blank, so I'll smile, thank them, and struggle to leave an impression.

Don't doubt yourself already. Every person has something different to offer. You can't already be counting yourself out if you really want to be there. They asked you to come for an interview for a reason. Show them you're worth their time. Just relax and enjoy. You feel like a celebrity from the staff because of the excitement for the new school.

Me too! That's quite exciting, but I'm wondering what it means by more information coming in 2017 as far as classes needed etc..

I'm thinking the matriculation requirements are referring to immunizations, physicals, drug tests, and paperwork.

Anyone have any feedback on the MCAT they will accept? I took the old MCAT in Jan 2015. This is directly from their website "Students must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and have the official scores sent to AACOMAS. MCAT test scores are valid three years from the original date." However, I have seen people in this thread say they only accept the new MCAT. I haven't been able to get admissions to reply and I've been emailing them for months trying to get an answer and also schedule a visit. I never have time to call them during work hours.

Appreciate any insight.

Anyone have any feedback on the MCAT they will accept? I took the old MCAT in Jan 2015. This is directly from their website "Students must take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and have the official scores sent to AACOMAS. MCAT test scores are valid three years from the original date." However, I have seen people in this thread say they only accept the new MCAT. I haven't been able to get admissions to reply and I've been emailing them for months trying to get an answer and also schedule a visit. I never have time to call them during work hours.

Appreciate any insight.

I had a friend who only took the old MCAT and got an interview with ARCOM, so I would think that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone from 11/11 or later heard anything yet?

Does anyone has any update on the housing situation?

Declined acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you. Good luck!

Anyone put their deposit down yet?

Yup, paid mine a few days back. Anyone get an email about the next payment and when it is due? (Jan 15th?)
From email:

On behalf of the Office of Admissions at the Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM), congratulations on being offered a seat in our inaugural class! Your first step toward confirming your seat is to submit payment for your first non-refundable deposit of $500 by the deadline set forth below based on when your offer of admission was made.

• Applicants accepted prior to November 15: First, non-refundable deposit of $500 is due by December 15.
  • Applicants accepted between November 15 and February 15: Have 30 days (from offer date) to submit the first deposit of $500 and an additional 30 days to submit the final deposit of $1,500.
  • Applicants accepted after February 15: Have 30 days to pay the total $2,000 non-refundable deposit.
Deposits will be applied to your first year tuition at ARCOM. Please submit payment of your $500 deposit HERE. Once your payment has been processed (usually within 24 hours of payment submission), you will receive payment confirmation and the link to pay the final $1,500 deposit. If you would rather pay by check, you are free to do so. Please make checks payable to Arkansas Colleges of Health Education and mail to ACHE, 7000 Chad Colley Blvd., Fort Smith, AR 72916. Please make note of your name and reason for payment in the memo line of your check so funds can be easily applied to your account.

A list of matriculation requirements and policies as well as deadlines for submitting all required materials is forthcoming in early 2017.

Once again, congratulations!

Sincerely,

Mandy Keyes, Director of Admissions

ARCOM

[email protected]

Yup, paid mine a few days back. Anyone get an email about the next payment and when it is due? (Jan 15th?)
Sorry, just noticed that the email doesn't have the specific date for the final payment.

Sorry, just noticed that the email doesn't have the specific date for the final payment.

I would also think second deposit for the first group is due 1/15 (30 days after 1st deposit due date) like FedForPres said above