Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone put their deposit down yet?
Not yet still out here pan handling can't believe how expensive DO schools deposits are. My family is all chipping in though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am new to this particular forum and so I have a question that I'm sure has been previously answered. I just received a secondary invite. What was the timeline for everyone from receiving a secondary to an interview invite?

I am new to this particular forum and so I have a question that I'm sure has been previously answered. I just received a secondary invite. What was the timeline for everyone from receiving a secondary to an interview invite?
It has varied greatly. This is a new school and are still ironing out the process.

5 days from secondary submission (12/1) to interview invite (12/6). I went by the school and did a tour earlier today, so that may have sped it up. Very impressed with the building!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
5 days from secondary submission (12/1) to interview invite (12/6). I went by the school and did a tour earlier today, so that may have sped it up. Very impressed with the building!
Good luck

Hi everybody. I am quite new to this thread(my first post). I am also quite behind many of you as I just submitted my primary app to ARCoM via AACOMAS just yesterday. I called the admissions office and spoke to a VERY nice lady who was very reassuring about myself receiving a supplemental application. I've not received it though so I am a bit concerned. About how long did this take for some of you? I'm sure it varies greatly.... thanks in advance and Congrats to those of you who have interviewed and been accepted!

Someone answered my question just previous to my post. I apologize! May I ask everybody is they know of applicants with under 500 mcat scores receiving interviews?

Someone answered my question just previous to my post. I apologize! May I ask everybody is they know of applicants with under 500 mcat scores receiving interviews?

I had below a 500 MCAT and I was accepted

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Received my II today! Looking into flights as opposed to driving 17 hours. Congrats on those who received acceptances!

Anyone from 11/21 interview hear anything yet?

I believe first day of orientation is July 31. Hopefully moving in mid-July as long as the Mrs. is set up with a job and we have a place to live.
Have you contacted someone regarding your Mrs. Job? I also needed help with that

I interviewed there Nov 18. Mcat 498 sGPA 3.6 Non-science GPA 3.83

I know this has probably been addressed already but what is the interview like? Also, what is the essay portion about and how is it structured?

I know this has probably been addressed already but what is the interview like? Also, what is the essay portion about and how is it structured?

The whole interview day is pretty nonchalant. They welcome you and you go into a meeting room and go over history and outlook of the school then they give you an essay prompt that basically says how will you carry out the mission of the school. Then you split off into smaller groups. Interview portion is pretty nice conversation style blind interview. Then you meet up together and do a team based activity together we made a medical student schedule

I'm slightly worried about the new school status but I'm grateful for the acceptance and just paid the deposit.

Fort Smith kind of blows as a town but I'll suck it up

Side-note: has anyone heard anything about the Dean switch? Or as to why?

The whole interview day is pretty nonchalant. They welcome you and you go into a meeting room and go over history and outlook of the school then they give you an essay prompt that basically says how will you carry out the mission of the school. Then you split off into smaller groups. Interview portion is pretty nice conversation style blind interview. Then you meet up together and do a team based activity together we made a medical student schedule

Do you know if spouses can attend?

I am not sure I don't have a spouse but in my opinion it should be okay though I imagine they'll just sit somewhere in the lobby but in the actual interview portion I don't recommend your spouse come in there with you.

I'm slightly worried about the new school status but I'm grateful for the acceptance and just paid the deposit.

Fort Smith kind of blows as a town but I'll suck it up

Side-note: has anyone heard anything about the Dean switch? Or as to why?
It was discussed earlier in the thread something about pursuing other interests.

Would you bring your spouse to a job interview? Personally, I wouldn't find it appropriate. I think after the interview day is complete, you could probably bring him/her in and walk around together. You could always call and ask though.

Have you contacted someone regarding your Mrs. Job? I also needed help with that

No I haven't. I didn't really think about calling them and asking. She is an optician so we are hoping there's a need for her somewhere around there. Needing to go house hunting too.

Would you bring your spouse to a job interview? Personally, I wouldn't find it appropriate. I think after the interview day is complete, you could probably bring him/her in and walk around together. You could always call and ask though.

To previous interviews I've attended they've certainly been welcome to attend as medical school isn't a decision that only affects one of the spouses. I also highly value his opinion and we do have to make a choice between medical schools.

Day starts with informal meet and greet (good way to destress and break the ice with professors!), followed by presentation by Dr. Fudge with school philosophy, etc. Then you split into interview groups ... It is a two on one interview with a community member and professor. It's a very casual conversation .. I think it's closed file as they didn't know my MCAT but just asked me to address my greatest weakness on my app.

I interviewed back on 10/14, so it's a little hazy now.. but don't stress it was one of the more relaxed interview days! Good luck!

To previous interviews I've attended they've certainly been welcome to attend as medical school isn't a decision that only affects one of the spouses. I also highly value his opinion and we do have to make a choice between medical schools.

Again, a job interview fits all of those areas as well, yet people don't bring their partner with them. There are ample opportunities for a partner to go check out a potential school, but during an interview day isn't the day IMO. Whatever works for you though! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

At every interview I've been at, bringing a spouse to the actual interview day is discouraged. What my husband and I did was during the interview day, he would explore the town and make sure it was a place we wanted to live if I ended up attending the school there. Our thought was that since I will be the one attending school, my opinion of the school matters the most; but, if it came down to deciding between two schools, his opinions about the city he preferred most really come into play there. Some schools host an event the night before the interview day where spouses are more than welcome to attend, or even a breakfast the day of, but as far as I know, it's usually just the candidates who can attend the interview day.

At every interview I've been at, bringing a spouse to the actual interview day is discouraged. What my husband and I did was during the interview day, he would explore the town and make sure it was a place we wanted to live if I ended up attending the school there. Our thought was that since I will be the one attending school, my opinion of the school matters the most; but, if it came down to deciding between two schools, his opinions about the city he preferred most really come into play there. Some schools host an event the night before the interview day where spouses are more than welcome to attend, or even a breakfast the day of, but as far as I know, it's usually just the candidates who can attend the interview day.
Yeah, agreed. Don't bring anyone but yourself! Treat a med school interview like a job interview.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

I guess I just had a very different experience at my other interview than what most schools are like. At my other interview, families were explicitly encouraged to attend in the invitation and many did in fact attend. I believe out of a group of 20 about 7 or 8 people had a family member with them but I definitely don't want to be the only one there with my spouse as much as I'd like him to be there. I'd also really prefer not to drive there alone at 9 months pregnant

I guess I just had a very different experience at my other interview than what most schools are like. At my other interview, families were explicitly encouraged to attend in the invitation and many did in fact attend. I believe out of a group of 20 about 7 or 8 people had a family member with them but I definitely don't want to be the only one there with my spouse as much as I'd like him to be there. I'd also really prefer not to drive there alone at 9 months pregnant

After being accepted, I took my wife to tour the school. They were very receptive to it. I am lucky enough to only live 4 hours away, though.

After being accepted, I took my wife to tour the school. They were very receptive to it. I am lucky enough to only live 4 hours away, though.

That's probably what I'll do if I get accepted. We actually only live 1.5 hrs away so not far.

Anyone interviewing tomorrow, 12/12?

Been in Fort Smith since yesterday... and wasn't expecting much after following this thread, but I like it here! I mean, it's not a NYC or a Boston, but it definitely has everything one would need (let's be real, in med school we won't have much time for anything else).

Anyone interviewing tomorrow, 12/12?

Been in Fort Smith since yesterday... and wasn't expecting much after following this thread, but I like it here! I mean, it's not a NYC or a Boston, but it definitely has everything one would need (let's be real, in med school we won't have much time for anything else).

I'm going to stay about 30 minutes away from Fort Smith when I go interview and I've been looking up the area. Totally agree, it's very rural BUT the countryside scenery looks magnificent! Totally different from the concrete jungle I'm used to in Miami.

Just want to throw out my opinion of this school for future interviewees and next years class....
I, unfortunately, will not be attending this school because I got in to my home state school.
However, I just want to say that this program is without a doubt going to be very successful. The technology is top notch, and the people were very warm and welcoming. I recommend if you get an interview here to def go! Best of luck to the inaugural class!

I'm going to stay about 30 minutes away from Fort Smith when I go interview and I've been looking up the area. Totally agree, it's very rural BUT the countryside scenery looks magnificent! Totally different from the concrete jungle I'm used to in Miami.
Ft smith is a medium sized city. I know the med school is in a rural area. But, if you go northwest 5 miles, you'll see a much bigger city than you'd expect. Tons and tons and tons of retail, food, shopping, etc.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Has any recent interviewers heard anything about financial aide? Last I heard they were expecting it by February but I didn't know if that has changed. Thanks! :)

Has any recent interviewers heard anything about financial aide? Last I heard they were expecting it by February but I didn't know if that has changed. Thanks! :)
Nope, still by February is what they said today