U of IL vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody share opinion which seems to be more optimal decision? Thanks in advance!

Both seem to be well established, solid programs.

U of IL (not sure yet which campus though)
+ In state tuition
+ More familiar as I grew up here
+ Family support
+ If I get Chicago campus, Chicago is great city
+/- Outstanding/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
+/- more prestigious in Midwest, or more students match into Midwest residencies

Tulane
- OOS tuition, COA costs ~$50000/4 yrs more
+ NOLA, very unique city
+ MD/MPH 4 yrs program
+ Pass/fail
+ More relaxed and happier students
+/- more prestigious in South, overall match list seems to be stronger

Not sure about in terms of research though. I want to get involved with research and although U of IL at Urbana-Champaign undergraduate is a good research institution, not sure about the medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

IL is not cheap for in state tuition...not quite 50k/year but it's close because they count their summer tuition separately. Being in Chicago would be nice.

I personally think the pass/fail is a huge plus and Tulane has a strong reputation overall.

What is the likelihood you will get to be at the Chicago campus if you pick U of I? If its not greater than a 50% chance idk if I would be willing to take that gamble, at least with Tulane you know for sure you'll get to live in a fun exciting city.

Also, do you have any idea of where you might want to end up for residency? This might play into your decision too!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your motivation for getting the MPH? The 4 year combined programs add difficulty to an already very trying experience.

I would strongly suggest you revisit the IL tuition issue again.

Sounds like you need to decide between familiar and family, versus fun and warmth. You feeling adventurous? Or do you have it out of your system by now?

Both schools are good. Both will advance your career. Hard to say more unless we know a little more about you and what you want in life now.