2019-2020 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompt:

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 words)

Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine? (150 words)

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (100 words)

The following question is optional. Declining to answer this question will not negatively impact your application in any way.
Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background. (60 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Tulane University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Was hoping to get some advice on Tulane's ED program.
There are a lot of reasons why I am doing this, and as a result, I am taking my MCAT June 29th, and planning to submit my primary the week after (by July 6th latest). That being said, I am not sure when my primary application will be verified, and if it will be verified on time for me to apply. Here is what the website says for Tulane:
Tulane participates in AMCAS' Early Decision Program. Successful applicants to this program do not offer any different profile than the successful applicant during the general admission cycle, however the applicant is only eligible to apply to TUSOM. You must apply for Early Decision through AMCAS. You will only be able to submit your application to Tulane University School of Medicine. The deadline for submitting your application to AMCAS is August 1. All application materials must be submitted no later than September 1 and you must be available for interview September 1 through September 15. This includes your secondary, AMCAS application, MCAT scores, and letters of recommendation. You will be notified of acceptance the first week of October.
Now, I am not sure what that means. Does that mean I have to be verified by August 1st? As a result, I am looking through and seeing the verification timelines for other people, and it seems to be almost a month later if I submit in July... and I am afraid I will be too late to apply by then. Can someone please give any advice/clarity to this? I am very nervous now that I am too late to even apply for Early Decision, and if not, I will have to do my best to submit it ASAP. I know I wasn't on the ball with this, but I was hoping to get any clarity on this.
Thank you

Yeah I would contact the admission's office. I will say though that if you are applying ED, I have heard that AMCAS seems to jump those people up to the front of the line and verify quickly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming T1 at Tulane University School of Medicine here - more than happy to answer any of your questions, especially the ones about the secondary application and interview. You can also pm me if you have any questions! Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone,
Was hoping to get some advice on Tulane's ED program.
There are a lot of reasons why I am doing this, and as a result, I am taking my MCAT June 29th, and planning to submit my primary the week after (by July 6th latest). That being said, I am not sure when my primary application will be verified, and if it will be verified on time for me to apply. Here is what the website says for Tulane:
Tulane participates in AMCAS' Early Decision Program. Successful applicants to this program do not offer any different profile than the successful applicant during the general admission cycle, however the applicant is only eligible to apply to TUSOM. You must apply for Early Decision through AMCAS. You will only be able to submit your application to Tulane University School of Medicine. The deadline for submitting your application to AMCAS is August 1. All application materials must be submitted no later than September 1 and you must be available for interview September 1 through September 15. This includes your secondary, AMCAS application, MCAT scores, and letters of recommendation. You will be notified of acceptance the first week of October.
Now, I am not sure what that means. Does that mean I have to be verified by August 1st? As a result, I am looking through and seeing the verification timelines for other people, and it seems to be almost a month later if I submit in July... and I am afraid I will be too late to apply by then. Can someone please give any advice/clarity to this? I am very nervous now that I am too late to even apply for Early Decision, and if not, I will have to do my best to submit it ASAP. I know I wasn't on the ball with this, but I was hoping to get any clarity on this.
Thank you
I would recommend only applying to ED at Tulane if you are fully committed to Tulane and you have an extremely good reasoning for coming.

Reactions: 3 users
Incoming T1 at Tulane University School of Medicine here - more than happy to answer any of your questions, especially the ones about the secondary application and interview. You can also pm me if you have any questions! Best of luck everyone.
Incoming T1 also here to help!

Hey thanks to both of you for being willing to answer questions. I'm really excited about Tulane, and had a couple questions as I finish up my secondary:

1. During your interview, did global health come up specifically? This is a big reason I'm interested in the school.
2. How did you find the culture of the students during your visit? I know the undergrad has a bit of a bro-y (?) reputation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me but I was wondering if this translated over to the med school student body.

Has anyone received a secondary yet or a receipt of application email yet? AMCAS completed processing very early in June, but I haven't heard anything from Tulane yet.

Hey thanks to both of you for being willing to answer questions. I'm really excited about Tulane, and had a couple questions as I finish up my secondary:

1. During your interview, did global health come up specifically? This is a big reason I'm interested in the school.
2. How did you find the culture of the students during your visit? I know the undergrad has a bit of a bro-y (?) reputation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for me but I was wondering if this translated over to the med school student body.
1. Yes, global health and public health are important aspects of Tulane's mission. If you have any experiences in that area (i.e. volunteering in the medical field abroad), be sure to mention it and explain how that experience impacted your decision to come here and can help you in the future as a physician.

2. The culture is amazing. Everybody is willing to help each other and everyone says it is like a family-culture. It is pass/fail curriculum so that also reduces some of the competition. The night before my interview, I stayed with a host, and we met up with a bunch of other T1 and T2. Everyone seems to know each other and were willing to answer my questions all night. One of the T1's there told me that when she was studying for an exam in the library, a T2 came over and asked if she needed any help and was willing to help her with her study if she needed it.

Has anyone received a secondary yet or a receipt of application email yet? AMCAS completed processing very early in June, but I haven't heard anything from Tulane yet.

Primary applications have not been released to schools yet.

This might be a silly question... but for the secondary, when it says list, should we just literally make a list or they want it in sentence format?

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a silly question... but for the secondary, when it says list, should we just literally make a list or they want it in sentence format?
Either is fine, but I did list.

hi, congrats on getting into Tulane. On the secondaries, where it asks to list hobbies and leadership positions, should I still list those that appeared in my AMCAS primary application? I included most - if not all - of my positions in the primary. Also, for the interview where you have to interview a patient, how is that like? Do you have any tips? I've never had to interview a patient before

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet?

hi, congrats on getting into Tulane. On the secondaries, where it asks to list hobbies and leadership positions, should I still list those that appeared in my AMCAS primary application? I included most - if not all - of my positions in the primary. Also, for the interview where you have to interview a patient, how is that like? Do you have any tips? I've never had to interview a patient before

Yes, you can list them and then maybe include a short description.

I signed a NDA for the interview, so I can't tell you too much about it, but my tips would be to be the most empathetic you have ever been, don't make any assumptions, and think of how you would react if you were in their shoes. If you have any friends or family members that can help you with mock interviews, I would suggest doing that as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, Everyone! I have just applied to Tulane's online MPH via SOPHAS and I was wondering if anyone who has applied to this program has receive either an acceptance or rejection letter yet....

Just got the secondary. I'm ED.
Somebody please help me tag a mod — this is my first post.

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 words)​
Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine? (150 words)​
List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words)​
Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (100 words)​
The following question is optional. Declining to answer this question will not negatively impact your application in any way.​
Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background. (60 words)​

Just got the secondary. I'm ED.
Somebody please help me tag a mod — this is my first post.

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 words)​
Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe how community service contributed to your education and your passion for medicine? (150 words)​
List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words)​
Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (100 words)​
The following question is optional. Declining to answer this question will not negatively impact your application in any way.​
Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background. (60 words)​

@PapaGuava

Just got the secondary, not ED.

On a side note, TFW you pre-wrote but they added a new essay. :”(

Last edited:
Secondary too!

Just got the secondary, not ED.

On a side note, TFW you pre-wrote but they added a new essay. :”(
Well, I'd imagine you can modify a little one of your other essays =). And don't forget to give them your CASPER results!

OOS, verified 6/28/19, received 7/3/19

Uh oh... no secondary received. I must have failed CASPer.

• Haha
  • Sad
Secondary received and submitted 7/2. I’m ED!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I had heard previously that this school is very early in the way they do things. Can someone explain to me if that is true and what it means exactly? LIke should this secondary be my first priority?

I had heard previously that this school is very early in the way they do things. Can someone explain to me if that is true and what it means exactly? LIke should this secondary be my first priority?

They send out early interview invites..so yes! Try to send your secondary in early. They love early applicants apparently.

They send out II earlier than most schools (starting around 7/12ish). So you will want to be complete before then if possible. But from past years' threads, it seems some people get II before others get secondaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
still waiting on a secondary as well. knowing my luck, it'll be the last secondary I get even though it was the first secondary I prewrote

Also still waiting on a secondary. I know Tulane is big on early apps so I am reaaally itching for this one to come in...

I literally got it right after posting that. They must be reading us

Secondary received this morning!! Glad the word counts are short for these essays :D

I literally got it right after posting that. They must be reading us

please send me some of that energy, still impatiently waiting

Yes this is true, prioritize your secondary to Tulane - would recommend getting it back to them 1-2 days after you receive your secondary application.

Where it says "Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests," are you guys just listing or adding brief descriptions too?

Secondary received and submitted 7/03! OOS and not ED!

Secondary received, OOS and not ED as well!

Just submitted. Anybody else's letters of rec have a red exclamation mark, despite forwarding a committee letter? Concerned because the 'Details about Application Process' tab notes:

"A committee letter packet is required. A pre-health or a pre-medical committee will suffice."

However, on the website, the letters of recommendation page says:

"Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows:
1) A committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet from your pre-medical advising committee..."

Any advice or co-equal experiences would be greatly appreciated :)

Does Tulane not send out secondaries until after completing CASPer?