University of Maryland College Park vs UMBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school is easier to succeed in? Which school has better pre-med?

Members don't see this ad.

Which school is easier to succeed in? Which school has better pre-med?

As a UMCP grad, I'm biased, but even so I will say that UMCP is stronger than UMBC, especially if you get a chance to participate in the honors program. Some of the premed courses at UMCP can be tough, but getting through them with some success is a positive thing that is viewed very well by admissions committees. I also felt like my courses at UMCP prepared me pretty darn well for the MCAT (still had to study, of course).

As a UMCP grad, I'm biased, but even so I will say that UMCP is stronger than UMBC, especially if you get a chance to participate in the honors program. Some of the premed courses at UMCP can be tough, but getting through them with some success is a positive thing that is viewed very well by admissions committees. I also felt like my courses at UMCP prepared me pretty darn well for the MCAT (still had to study, of course).

do you think it's a lot harder to get A's in CP than UMBC?

Members don't see this ad :)
You do realise that they're not even remotely the same place, right? Because some people screw that up...

UM is a regular old state university in Prince George's county. They think very highly of themselves and I'm sure they have good programmes.

UMBC- University of Maryland, Baltimore County, is its own school. They have a different aim.

If you're looking for university and all that jazz, go to UM. If you're trying to finish your degree, go UMBC.

UMCP. no question.

I agree with the above poster though. If you're coming from high school and want a more "traditional" university experience, come to college park. If you're just trying to get a degree, go to UMBC.

Also, UMCP has a lot of opportunities for pre-meds and the classes are pretty good at preparing you for the MCAT (not that I would really know this, never having taken pre-med classes at another school, but they did help me a lot). I'm not sure how UMBC compares in this regard, but they do have the medical center.

UMCP. no question.

I agree with the above poster though. If you're coming from high school and want a more "traditional" university experience, come to college park. If you're just trying to get a degree, go to UMBC.

Also, UMCP has a lot of opportunities for pre-meds and the classes are pretty good at preparing you for the MCAT (not that I would really know this, never having taken pre-med classes at another school, but they did help me a lot). I'm not sure how UMBC compares in this regard, but they do have the medical center.

thanks for the responses

i'm aware that the colleges are in completely different area's - that isn't much of a factor for me; i'm looking for the place that produces the most successful pre-med's with the least attrition rate, and has an overall enjoyable and nonaggressive academic atmosphere

are the classes and competition at umcp harder than the classes at umbc?

im a very good student but don't want to be dealing with hellishly exhausting professors

i'm aware that the colleges are in completely different area's - that isn't much of a factor for me; i'm looking for the place that produces the most successful pre-med's with the least attrition rate, and has an overall enjoyable and nonaggressive academic atmosphere

are the classes and competition at umcp harder than the classes at umbc?

im a very good student but don't want to be dealing with hellishly exhausting professors

Maryland and UMBC have completely different aims. UM is for regular college students. UMBC is for professionals- people who are going for business, tech, whatever. You won't find any of the asinine pre-med bs at UMBC, because it's not geared for that. Quit calling it UMCP, you make it sound like Penn State. UMaryland and UMBC are completely different, they're not campuses of the same school. They serve completely different populations.

In conclusion, if you are a premed go to UMaryland.

i really appreciate the responses, but no one has answered my question of whether the classes at UMaryland are harder and more competitive than at UMBC

i really appreciate the responses, but no one has answered my question of whether the classes at UMaryland are harder and more competitive than at UMBC

It's like comparing apples and oranges, kiddo.

Or Juilliard and MIT.

They don't compare in terms of harder/competitive, they're polar opposites.

It's like comparing apples and oranges, kiddo.

Or Juilliard and MIT.

They don't compare in terms of harder/competitive, they're polar opposites.

I don't understand your response, how can they not compare? Are you saying that, say, a Chem 101 or an intro biology course at UMaryland is so qualitatively different than an intro course at UMBC such that no comparisons in terms of difficulty can be drawn? If so, what makes them so different (and im talking in a strict curricular sense, i am aware that UMBC is lacking socially)???

I don't understand your response, how can they not compare? Are you saying that, say, a Chem 101 or an intro biology course at UMaryland is so qualitatively different than an intro course at UMBC such that no comparisons in terms of difficulty can be drawn? If so, what makes them so different (and im talking in a strict curricular sense, i am aware that UMBC is lacking socially)???

The content may not be so different, but the delivery is. The goals of the schools are different, so their curricula are different. The level of education, if you will.

Maryland is your standard, run of the mill D1 (one of them, maybe there's an A, IDK) state school.

UMBC is kind of a blend between a focussed technical school, and a liberal arts college.

The content may not be so different, but the delivery is. The goals of the schools are different, so their curricula are different. The level of education, if you will.

Maryland is your standard, run of the mill D1 (one of them, maybe there's an A, IDK) state school.

UMBC is kind of a blend between a focussed technical school, and a liberal arts college.

does this difference make the classes at UMBC harder?
also - what do you mean by "maybe there's an A" - what does that mean..?

Reactions: 1 user
does this difference make the classes at UMBC harder?
also - what do you mean by "maybe there's an A" - what does that mean..?

UMBC is more for people who won't need to know science intimately. So, maybe not harder, but also maybe not the right foundation for med school.

The "A" thing is about its NCAA division. I forget if UMD is D1 or D1A.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMBC is more for people who won't need to know science intimately. So, maybe not harder, but also maybe not the right foundation for med school.

Gotcha. Thanks so much!
Do you go to UMaryland?

By default "NCAA Division I" signifies Division I-A. Division I-AA is a distinction given to [often times] smaller schools.

All the schools in the big conferences (Big Ten/SEC/Big 12/Pac-10/etc) are "Division I-A." Schools like the Patriot League schools are Division I-AA.

Go to College Park, but prepare to have your butt handed to you by the rest of the ACC every year...

No. Prince George's is a turn-off for me. :D

No kidding. The area around College Park is horrible. I spent half a dozen weekends there and the I felt none too safe walking around in the middle of the night. Not to mention everything seems dirty.

No kidding. The area around College Park is horrible. I spent half a dozen weekends there and the I felt none too safe walking around in the middle of the night. Not to mention everything seems dirty.

If the area sucks, is it really worth it to go there?

If the area sucks, is it really worth it to go there?

Compared to UMBC? I think so. Its not all that bad to be honest, its just not the best compared to other college campuses. Its a great school academically too. Not to mention it can give you an advantage when applying to UM medical school.

Compared to UMBC? I think so. Its not all that bad to be honest, its just not the best compared to other college campuses. Its a great school academically too. Not to mention it can give you an advantage when applying to UM medical school.

I'm gonna call bullsh** on that comment, but I think it was just the way you phrased it. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful and I felt plenty safe on campus. However, College Park is not a college town. It is a poor suburb of DC with the resulting run down look and urban crime.

Alright. So from what I gather, UMaryland is the place to go.
That said, would I be losing out on ANYTHING by NOT going to UMBC that I should be aware of?

ALSO:
What if the choice is in between UMBC HONORS and UMaryland Regular ?

if you'd be missing anything by not going to umbc.

Honestly, I'm kind of leaning towards UMBC, for a number of reasons. I feel the small size of UMBC makes it easier for one to stand out and make himself known. Also, while there may not be as many opportunities as UMaryland, I think the opportunities that UMBC does have would be easier to access due to the fact that at a smaller university there will be less academic bureaucracy and pre-med competition that may prevent you from getting such a position at a huge state school like UMaryland. Lastly, I'm the type that makes friends easily, so I'm sure there will be ample social opportunity at UMBC, maybe not as intense as at UMaryland, but sufficient enough to ensure maximum social satisfaction while safeguarding academic success. That said, UMaryland still does have a tremendous pull, and it definitely will be a hard decision. The desicion may be contingent upon whether I get into the Honors program, which, from what I hear, is really excellent; is this true? do u think acceptance into the honors program at umbc would make it a better idea to go to umbc?

Honestly, I'm kind of leaning towards UMBC, for a number of reasons. I feel the small size of UMBC makes it easier for one to stand out and make himself known. Also, while there may not be as many opportunities as UMaryland, I think the opportunities that UMBC does have would be easier to access due to the fact that at a smaller university there will be less academic bureaucracy and pre-med competition that may prevent you from getting such a position at a huge state school like UMaryland. Lastly, I'm the type that makes friends easily, so I'm sure there will be ample social opportunity at UMBC, maybe not as intense as at UMaryland, but sufficient enough to ensure maximum social satisfaction while safeguarding academic success. That said, UMaryland still does have a tremendous pull, and it definitely will be a hard decision. The desicion may be contingent upon whether I get into the Honors program, which, from what I hear, is really excellent; is this true? do u think acceptance into the honors program at umbc would make it a better idea to go to umbc?
UMD has honors too.

I'd try going to both to have a look-see if you like both equally. Look into random things that mean something to you- does one have a better offering in it?

UMD has honors too.

I'd try going to both to have a look-see if you like both equally. Look into random things that mean something to you- does one have a better offering in it?

I'm aware that UMD has honors, but it's much harder to get in as a transfer student. I think I'd be really happy at either place (unlike where I'm at now) which is what makes it such a difficult decision.. I hope in the end it will turn out to be more than a coin-flip!

I'm aware that UMD has honors, but it's much harder to get in as a transfer student. I think I'd be really happy at either place (unlike where I'm at now) which is what makes it such a difficult decision.. I hope in the end it will turn out to be more than a coin-flip!

where are you now?

Ok, coming from the area, I've analyzed this argument before. I have friends that attend both UMBC and UMD.. (keep in mind that I go to neither of the schools) and.. here's what I think.

I have friends who argue that because they chose to attend UMBC on full ride, they can easily step over the general rather lazy non-hard working population and maintain a rather high gpa.. (I'm not trying to mock anyone here, but it's generally true.. my friend drank every single day and took 12 credits and still got a 3.5)

On the other hand, I also have a handful of friends who chose to attend UMD, and well.. yes it's definitely harder, no doubt. Not only are the people generally more hard working compared to UMBC, but you also have to compete with the Gemstone and Honors program kids who, as you may or may not know, can perform at a caliber of a top tier school student.

So what I'm trying to say is that if you really want that easy GPA, go for UMBC. If you don't agree with me on the discrepancy of rigor between UMBC and UMD, consider this situation. Orgo, which is a 300 level course at UMBC, gives exams that are MULTIPLE CHOICE, whereas orgo at UMD is a 200 level course and yes, its all open ended.

Here's the downfall though. I've done my research and some "statistical" reasoning, and it turns out that if you go to UMBC, well... they send about... maybe 30 kids to EITHER medical school OR dental school each year out of the entire class (which I believe is around maybe 1400 to 2000?? not sure). And from other data which I've been exposed to, you need to get at least a 40 on the MCATs to even have a good shot at the top med schools (HMS, other ivys, stanford, etc)

Whereas.. if you go to UMD, they continue to send at least 1 to HMS, 2-3 to JHU, and couple others to maybe Penn med, vanderbilt, etc.. and about 30 to UMB med school.

If you are that confident that you'll do super well and stand out at UMBC, then go for it. But remember, if you slip at UMBC, the consequences are far worse than if you choice to attend UMD and slipped once.

Also, do remember that UMD also has HHMI student research grant funding, whereas UMBC.... I'm not really sure.. maybe they have something too???

Good luck!

Ok, coming from the area, I've analyzed this argument before. I have friends that attend both UMBC and UMD.. (keep in mind that I go to neither of the schools) and.. here's what I think.

I have friends who argue that because they chose to attend UMBC on full ride, they can easily step over the general rather lazy non-hard working population and maintain a rather high gpa.. (I'm not trying to mock anyone here, but it's generally true.. my friend drank every single day and took 12 credits and still got a 3.5)

On the other hand, I also have a handful of friends who chose to attend UMD, and well.. yes it's definitely harder, no doubt. Not only are the people generally more hard working compared to UMBC, but you also have to compete with the Gemstone and Honors program kids who, as you may or may not know, can perform at a caliber of a top tier school student.

So what I'm trying to say is that if you really want that easy GPA, go for UMBC. If you don't agree with me on the discrepancy of rigor between UMBC and UMD, consider this situation. Orgo, which is a 300 level course at UMBC, gives exams that are MULTIPLE CHOICE, whereas orgo at UMD is a 200 level course and yes, its all open ended.

Here's the downfall though. I've done my research and some "statistical" reasoning, and it turns out that if you go to UMBC, well... they send about... maybe 30 kids to EITHER medical school OR dental school each year out of the entire class (which I believe is around maybe 1400 to 2000?? not sure). And from other data which I've been exposed to, you need to get at least a 40 on the MCATs to even have a good shot at the top med schools (HMS, other ivys, stanford, etc)

Whereas.. if you go to UMD, they continue to send at least 1 to HMS, 2-3 to JHU, and couple others to maybe Penn med, vanderbilt, etc.. and about 30 to UMB med school.

If you are that confident that you'll do super well and stand out at UMBC, then go for it. But remember, if you slip at UMBC, the consequences are far worse than if you choice to attend UMD and slipped once.

Also, do remember that UMD also has HHMI student research grant funding, whereas UMBC.... I'm not really sure.. maybe they have something too???

Good luck!

thanks so much for the thoughtful reply!

do you think that perhaps the reason for the discrepancy is simply that less students at UMBC are interested in med school, or rather that UMBC graduates just aren't looked upon so well so you need to have flawless stats from there to get accepted? also, how many students does UMaryland send to med school every year? i definitely hear what you're saying about it being easier to maintain a higher gpa at UMBC, but there too you are competing with your fare share of meyerhoff scholars and honors students.

im really appreciating all of this input, but i think im just getting more confused about where i should go :confused:

thanks so much for the thoughtful reply!

do you think that perhaps the reason for the discrepancy is simply that less students at UMBC are interested in med school, or rather that UMBC graduates just aren't looked upon so well so you need to have flawless stats from there to get accepted? also, how many students does UMaryland send to med school every year? i definitely hear what you're saying about it being easier to maintain a higher gpa at UMBC, but there too you are competing with your fare share of meyerhoff scholars and honors students.

im really appreciating all of this input, but i think im just getting more confused about where i should go :confused:

As for your question, well.. I do believe hearing from my friend currently attending that many of her friends are pre-med right now. But since I don't actually go there, I cant give you a certain answer. Yes, you are competing against meyerhoffs, but meyerhoff consists of rather smaller number of students and some of them (from what I've seen) don't enter college with mind blowing stats. (my friend who entered full ride honors only had 3.4 gpa in hs.. and my other friend who just got a full ride to UMBC got waitlisted at UMD :eek:).

Overall, gpa is the most important factor. But do keep in mind that the status (i.e. ranking) of the school does play a even a small role in admissions. For example, med schools do know that it's definitely easier to excel at an easier school vs. is you went rather competitive school.

Oh, and I think UMD sends about maybe 150 to med school each year.. but you might want to check upon that.

As for your question, well.. I do believe hearing from my friend currently attending that many of her friends are pre-med right now. But since I don't actually go there, I cant give you a certain answer. Yes, you are competing against meyerhoffs, but meyerhoff consists of rather smaller number of students and some of them (from what I've seen) don't enter college with mind blowing stats. (my friend who entered full ride honors only had 3.4 gpa in hs.. and my other friend who just got a full ride to UMBC got waitlisted at UMD :eek:).

Overall, gpa is the most important factor. But do keep in mind that the status (i.e. ranking) of the school does play a even a small role in admissions. For example, med schools do know that it's definitely easier to excel at an easier school vs. is you went rather competitive school.

Oh, and I think UMD sends about maybe 150 to med school each year.. but you might want to check upon that.

Where would you personally go if it was between these two schools?

Haha. I'd go to UMD, just because my bf goes there and he has 3.98 + HHMI :scared::D

Remember, you'll do well at either of the places as long as you can make the best out of the available resources.

Haha. I'd go to UMD, just because my bf goes there and he has 3.98 + HHMI :scared::D

Remember, you'll do well at either of the places as long as you can make the best out of the available resources.

Nice!

Would you happen to know which place has better philosophy courses?

I'm gonna call bullsh** on that comment, but I think it was just the way you phrased it. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful and I felt plenty safe on campus. However, College Park is not a college town. It is a poor suburb of DC with the resulting run down look and urban crime.

To each his own my friend.. Maybe I'm just a little biased since I went to a college where there was one murder in like 35 years.

How about this: I go to Maryland Med and I have classmates from both UMBC and UMCP but I have more from UMCP. However, that's probably because there are just more people from UMCP applying to school. Applying here, I don't think UMBC vs UMCP will matter as much as the individual applicant's credentials. Outside the state I don't know. Take it for what its worth.

For me, I think the biggest difference between UMBC and College Park is the college environment. College Park is like many other large universities, people live on campus, delve into college life, etc. From my experience, many UMBC students are commuters and this makes it harder for students to really enjoy the college experience fully.

As far as competitiveness and course difficulty goes, I think alot of this stems from the different environments. Many UMBC students work full time and commute so they just don't have the time or the desire to be full-time pre-meds. College Park on the other hand, has many very dedicated pre-med students who have more time to study, etc. I think that College Park is more competitive and thought to be more difficult as a result of this.

If you want a fuller college experience, go to College Park. If UMBCs environment sounds more like something you like, go there. Either way you can get into medical school.

For me, I think the biggest difference between UMBC and College Park is the college environment. College Park is like many other large universities, people live on campus, delve into college life, etc. From my experience, many UMBC students are commuters and this makes it harder for students to really enjoy the college experience fully.

As far as competitiveness and course difficulty goes, I think alot of this stems from the different environments. Many UMBC students work full time and commute so they just don't have the time or the desire to be full-time pre-meds. College Park on the other hand, has many very dedicated pre-med students who have more time to study, etc. I think that College Park is more competitive and thought to be more difficult as a result of this.

If you want a fuller college experience, go to College Park. If UMBCs environment sounds more like something you like, go there. Either way you can get into medical school.

Where would you personally go?

haven't u made your mind yet? Go with your gut feeling! Whichever school you go to, study hard and look for opportunities. Do not let your environment define who you become. Maryland is a great school and has a strong premed program but I can tell you that you have to know what you want. The advising system was not as good as I would have liked it.

Anyway, if you want more info, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.