Weill Cornell or Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsune maison

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted at Weill Cornell and hold an offer at Mount Sinai.
There was a similar thread posted last year, however, the response to the inquiry was done as a PM...so I couldn't see it. And, any threads like Cornell vs. Mount Sinai were outdated in my opinion and I am seeking for more current opinions.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight to both schools in terms of grading, curriculum, quality of life, faculty-student interaction, etc, in order to help me decide whether or not to try to get off the WL from Cornell.

Some specifics I can come up with are
-what is the relationship between Weill's rather unique curriculum and board scores?
-I noticed tuition is significantly higher at Weill; is the difference in cost worth going to one school or the other? (The answer to this may vary, but just throwing it out.)

Thanks so much you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a similar thread posted last year, however, the response to the inquiry was done as a PM...so I couldn't see it. And, any threads like Cornell vs. Mount Sinai were outdated in my opinion and I am seeking for more current opinions.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight to both schools in terms of grading, curriculum, quality of life, faculty-student interaction, etc, in order to help me decide whether or not to try to get off the WL from Cornell.

-what is the relationship between Weill's rather unique curriculum and board scores?
-I noticed tuition is significantly higher at Weill; is the difference in cost worth going to one school or the other? (The answer to this may vary, but just throwing it out.)

Thanks so much you guys.

I was accepted at both schools and while I really liked them both I would go with Weill on this one. Weill has an awesome curriculum (classes end at 1pm or earlier) and great hospitals associated with it (HSS, Sloan).

On the tuition front, Weill has very good need based aid so if I were you I'd wait until you hear back from financial aid. I recently got back from Weill's second look and they told us that letters would be going out in the next few weeks to accepted applicants.

Good luck on your decision!

Thanks so much you guys.

Two great schools in NYC. I doubt that the curriculum at Cornell has much effect on board scores, which, really are a product of individual student initiative and motivation. Both schools have comparable students in terms of abilities. I would wait and evaluate financial aid packages. I would not pay alot more for Cornell....the education at both schools is superb. If I were in your shoes, I probably would make the decision based on lower debt load when I graduated from med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into Cornell off the Wait List. A lot of people were like, "Oh, you just got into Cornell because your dad donated a building." No. Okay. I got into Cornell because I'm smart. I'm smart enough to have a dad who donates buildings to things. --said by.........

I got into Cornell off the Wait List. A lot of people were like, "Oh, you just got into Cornell because your dad donated a building." No. Okay. I got into Cornell because I'm smart. I'm smart enough to have a dad who donates buildings to things. --said by.........

wait...this is sarcasm?:confused: right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "rather unique," but our boards score are very competitive. We get 7 weeks off for boards studying and vacation between 2nd/3rd year, so there's plenty of time to study for them and do well.

If you're referring to PBL, it's a minor part of the curriculum, and only used as an adjunct to what is taught in lecture and labs. If you're referring to finishing at 1pm, I loved it, and couldn't imagine going any longer than that every day.

I'll agree with the other post, Cornell tends to offer very good need-based aid to compensate for tuition. The tuition is actually pretty mid-level for similar schools.

Good luck with your decision, feel free to PM if you have more questions.

hey everyone, thanks for your inputs...even though the thread got really old before i knew it! time flies during these times.

i haven't gotten off the WL at cornell...i would love to because i really want to be in a pbl-environment...and get out by 1pm because i dont learn from lectures that effectively. dont know if this is a legitimate enough reason for them to consider me. figuring out how to claw myself in from the WL. ne advice from experiences?

Thanks so much you guys.
i just want to know what are your stats ?

May i know your stats ?

hey everyone, thanks for your inputs...even though the thread got really old before i knew it! time flies during these times.

i haven't gotten off the WL at cornell...i would love to because i really want to be in a pbl-environment...and get out by 1pm because i dont learn from lectures that effectively. dont know if this is a legitimate enough reason for them to consider me. figuring out how to claw myself in from the WL. ne advice from experiences?

FYI... 4.5 hours/week out of 25 total hours/week are devoted to PBL. Lectures are probably still 50-60%. If you want a really strong PBL school, you may want to look at some others. Nonetheless, I think it's a good balance here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.