2019-2020 Weill Cornell

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
prob overthinking this but how did you guys address your WL confirmation email? i feel weird addressing the director by her first name but like
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
might be cause it's the weekend? honestly if you wanna call go ahead--nothing like that is gonna hurt you at this point

I replied yesterday morning when I got the email and others had gotten confirmation but I hadn’t gotten one. I ended up just calling right now and left a voicemail, don’t think it’s gunna hurt my chances but here’s to hoping lolol
 
I replied yesterday morning when I got the email and others had gotten confirmation but I hadn’t gotten one. I ended up just calling right now and left a voicemail, don’t think it’s gunna hurt my chances but here’s to hoping lolol
No reply yet for me either, let us know if they call you back!
 
From the help me decide threads:

“Hi! I matched into Dermatology last year. Go to Penn if you are interested in Derm - 100%. Penn's Dermatology program is #1-2. The research opportunities and mentorship at Penn are way above what you will get at Cornell. My friend went to Cornell and applied into Dermatology and she really struggled to find research projects/opportunities/mentors. I also know people who did a research year at Cornell and they ended up with no publications (not because they didn't work hard; they definitely worked really hard!), and in previous years, some of them did not match (read: mentors did not go to bat for them or if they did, their word did not pull enough weight). Yes, 160k is a lot of money, but going to a top medical school with well-known, prolific, well-connected mentors in Dermatology will give you a leg up in residency applications and set you up for the career that you want.”

Can any current students talk about this? Is it actually difficult to find research and match into derm from Cornell?
 
From the help me decide threads:

“Hi! I matched into Dermatology last year. Go to Penn if you are interested in Derm - 100%. Penn's Dermatology program is #1-2. The research opportunities and mentorship at Penn are way above what you will get at Cornell. My friend went to Cornell and applied into Dermatology and she really struggled to find research projects/opportunities/mentors. I also know people who did a research year at Cornell and they ended up with no publications (not because they didn't work hard; they definitely worked really hard!), and in previous years, some of them did not match (read: mentors did not go to bat for them or if they did, their word did not pull enough weight). Yes, 160k is a lot of money, but going to a top medical school with well-known, prolific, well-connected mentors in Dermatology will give you a leg up in residency applications and set you up for the career that you want.”

Can any current students talk about this? Is it actually difficult to find research and match into derm from Cornell?
Not answering your question directly, but did you end up deciding for Cornell?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an email saying my update had been received....but I haven’t sent an my recent updates. Did anyone else get this? Maybe they counted the WL continued interest email as an update?
I got the same thing and interpreted it as acknowledgment of the WL continued interest like you said.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I replied yesterday morning when I got the email and others had gotten confirmation but I hadn’t gotten one. I ended up just calling right now and left a voicemail, don’t think it’s gunna hurt my chances but here’s to hoping lolol

Hi! Did you get a response from the admissions office? I also replied to the waitlist interest email on Friday, but still have not gotten a confirmation 🙁 not sure if it means anything, but tbh I would rather not have anxiety over whether they received my email
 
Hi! Did you get a response from the admissions office? I also replied to the waitlist interest email on Friday, but still have not gotten a confirmation 🙁 not sure if it means anything, but tbh I would rather not have anxiety over whether they received my email

Yes! I got a call back this morning (gave me a heart attack cuz I thought I was about to get off the waitlist lol). They said they’re looking through the responses and are sending out confirmations as they go through them. So if you haven’t gotten a confirmation don’t worry right now. This likely means that waitlist movement here won’t happens until maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.
 
Yes! I got a call back this morning (gave me a heart attack cuz I thought I was about to get off the waitlist lol). They said they’re looking through the responses and are sending out confirmations as they go through them. So if you haven’t gotten a confirmation don’t worry right now. This likely means that waitlist movement here won’t happens until maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

Oh nice, that's a relief. Thanks for calling!
 
Stay hopefully peeps!
FB group was at a steady 170, with a lot of current students (I’d say maybe like 10+ ... more current students were added later on too).

At virtual second look - I never saw I number higher than 75 lol.

Additionally, only around 70 joined the GroupMe posted, and since 4/30, a lot of people have left the group me (around 10+ as well). A lot have been females though, so maybe Cornell might try to keep the ratio and take more females off the WL? lol idk.

can’t wait to meet more future classmates in the next couple weeks 🙂

thank you for keeping us WL-ers in the loop! it's very kind of you guys to take the extra effort to update us <3