2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hypnix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an email with a link to the PDF for their secondary. For anyone who has applied there, was it always to be filled out by hand?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I can post the .pdf link because its password protected. They send you a username and pw to get to it. Anyway, here are the prompts.

1. Future physicians and research scientists are expected to work in an inter-professional environment,and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

2. What do you believe will be your greatest strength as a physician? What will be your greatest weakness?

3. Chicago Medical School promotes a diverse learning environment, including diversity in the student body. Keeping a broad definition of diversity in mind, how would you contribute to student diversity?

4. Why do you feel Rosalind Franklin University is the “best fit” for your learning style and personality?

Use only the space available on the form.

Members don't see this ad :)
last year when i did it, you could type your response into the pdf. but the formatting is messed up. once you finish typing a line, you have to press enter to start the next line (it wont transfer to the next line itself). and so if you decide you want to go back and add something, then it becomes a bitch and a half to redo the spacing.

:barf::barf::barf:
I don't think I can post the .pdf link because its password protected. They send you a username and pw to get to it. Anyway, here are the prompts.

1. Future physicians and research scientists are expected to work in an inter-professional environment,and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

2. What do you believe will be your greatest strength as a physician? What will be your greatest weakness?

3. Chicago Medical School promotes a diverse learning environment, including diversity in the student body. Keeping a broad definition of diversity in mind, how would you contribute to student diversity?

4. Why do you feel Rosalind Franklin University is the “best fit” for your learning style and personality?

Use only the space available on the form.

i can't seem to type anything either in pdf. i really hope we don't have to fill this out by hand.

OP can you rename the thread as 2008-2009 xxx Secondary Application?

Helps keep things organized!

wowww shemarty already got this linked...

Too many all at once! I still need to finish Tulane and Case Western.

Yes, so is anyone handwriting the essays?

For anyone that has completed the application, can we get an estimate of how much space we have to work with based on how much you were able to fit (ie 1000 chars, 1500, 5000)?

Could you post the character limit for each prompt

not really a character limit....just whatever fits into that form. it's just like George Washington Univ.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate it when a question or interviewer asks for your greatest weakness. i mean, what can you possibly say that doesn't make you look bad?

OP can you rename the thread as 2008-2009 xxx Secondary Application?

Helps keep things organized!

Sorry, I can't edit the title of the thread.

And another sorry for not posting questions sooner. Wasn't 100% sure if this was the first. Was afraid of a duplicate and flames :rolleyes:

Could you please tell me about your strengths?

I'd actually like to begin by talking about my weaknesses...

I just asked you about your strengths why would you want to talk about your weaknesses?

Because my weaknesses are my strengths...

- The Office

So does anyone know how to fill this out? Are we going to have to hand write it? I own a Mac and in Preview it does not allow me to type... Anybody else having any luck yet?

How about a character limit, anyone deduce what that is yet?

So does anyone know how to fill this out? Are we going to have to hand write it? I own a Mac and in Preview it does not allow me to type... Anybody else having any luck yet?

How about a character limit, anyone deduce what that is yet?

I cant type in it either...and I could type in GW's.....looks like we have to hand-write.....which sucks b/c my handwriting is HORRIBLE

Sometimes I'm a workaholic.

I've been to 2 premed seminars that specifically told us not to answer with I'm a perfectionist/workaholic because it's by far the most common answer is is clearly a strength disguised as a "weakness".

I've been to 2 premed seminars that specifically told us not to answer with I'm a perfectionist/workaholic because it's by far the most common answer is is clearly a strength disguised as a "weakness".

yeah, i've heard that from various sources and i'm assuming that an answer like that is not going to get past an admissions commitee. perhaps being honest and answering with something that is not permanent is the best way to go about it.

If you have adobe professional, you can put in textboxes and then type into them on the application. I'm fairly sure adobe offers a trial version of professional, try that at least 'cause handwriting sucks (although, bad handwriting IS indicative of a good doctor isn't it?? Maybe they have an ulterior motive here:D)

If I have to handwrite this thing, I know imma be rejected:(

Umm, I can type on the application. Not sure what's wrong with all of your's. I'm using an older version of Firefox and work. Maybe try IE or Safari?

Sanity check--Email filed is super tiny compared to the res tof the app for everyone else right?

Also when filling out the committee letter part of the app is autofills it into the individual section--wth is that about?

Wow, seems like RFU is trying to cut down on the number of applications they receive this year. Last year, there was only one essay.

I just worked out that each essay is about 1900 characters long. In reality, it's a little longer than that (~120 char/line, 16 line/prompt = 1920 char), but 1900 is a nice round figure to work with.

Foxit Reader worked really well for me when I was filling out other PDF secondaries.

it has a typewriter function where you can insert and adjust the size of text anywhere on the PDF. it was a great tool for me when doing the GWU secondary.

its a free download at download.com

Foxit Reader worked really well for me when I was filling out other PDF secondaries.

it has a typewriter function where you can insert and adjust the size of text anywhere on the PDF. it was a great tool for me when doing the GWU secondary.

its a free download at download.com

I did that and now it says Edited by Fox it Reader blah blah at the top. They want me to buy it in order to get rid of it.

Is anybody sending through Interfolio? RF's site makes it seem as if they accept electronic deliveries, but they aren't in Interfolio's database (so you can only input the address yourself and have them physically mailed).

Is anybody sending through Interfolio? RF's site makes it seem as if they accept electronic deliveries, but they aren't in Interfolio's database (so you can only input the address yourself and have them physically mailed).

I will probably call them next week and see- I want to submit through interfolio but I am not sure my letters are on letterhead because my teachers just uploaded them to the site and we don't have like school letterhead that goes onto word...:confused:

does any one else think its sort of funny that of all the threads, the one about Chicago Medical School is misspelled?

Why does it keep autofilling stuff in the LoR section? My school's committee letter is nto an individual letter and I dont want to be friggin disqualified because their application made me disobey their directions....

Can we get a title change? I'll never find this :(

I'm having trouble finding information on the curriculum at this school. I know there's a section on their website, but it doesn't really mention the teaching method. Is it mostly didactic lectures, any PBL at all??

I'm having trouble finding information on the curriculum at this school. I know there's a section on their website, but it doesn't really mention the teaching method. Is it mostly didactic lectures, any PBL at all??
I love how they ask why their school's learning style is a fit for you but then do not tell you about their curriculum at all.

Most of the lectures are didactic, but most, if not all, of the courses incorporate clinical correlations and PBL into them. Molecular and cell bio has specific days for IPBL each term, as well as biochem. Physiology depends on the professor teaching the section. Some do more than others. As far as finding stuff on the website about the curriculum, I know there was some stuff on the old website, but the school just finished the new site in May, so I'm not sure where any of it is. Hope this helps a little.

It does help. Thanks so much!!!
Another question, what about the atmosphere? Is there a lot of collaboration between students and such? I'd like a school that is not super competitive between students and they actually help each other...

and I agree...this question is one of the hardest questions I've had to answer yet...just 'cause the website is so uninformative and I have no personal experience with the school

I think I will say it is a good fit because I will come out of there a doctor...and well...that's what I want to do....the square block fits in the square hole...PERFECT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.