2008-2009 Rosalind Franklin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Secondary is in the mail (and so is my $100!). Interfolio delivered my documents electronically. Round Two with RFU has officially started (before Round One has officially ended...sad).

Members don't see this ad.

I found them on Interfolio today!
:thumbdown: Guess I'll call tomorrow and see if my snail mail submission is okay. Hopefully it is. I didn't spend $9 for nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like the atmosphere. We have a good mix of traditional and non-traditional students, as well as people from all across the country, different countries, different ethnicities, and so on. I would have to describe the atmosphere as slightly competitive and gunner-ish (but I think any med school that says otherwise is lying). However, the students are not cut-throat. People are almost always more than willing to help one another out and are quick to form study groups and such. No one goes out of their way to sabotage or hurt another student's performance.

I really like the atmosphere. We have a good mix of traditional and non-traditional students, as well as people from all across the country, different countries, different ethnicities, and so on. I would have to describe the atmosphere as slightly competitive and gunner-ish (but I think any med school that says otherwise is lying). However, the students are not cut-throat. People are almost always more than willing to help one another out and are quick to form study groups and such. No one goes out of their way to sabotage or hurt another student's performance.

How's the med school social life? It seems like some schools have their students participate in a number of social events together - is it the case at RFU as well?

Social life here is what you make it. There are plenty of things to do within a short driving distance. Each class does have social chairs that organize events after exams, but for the most part, you wind up doing things with your friends. In the end, how much of a social life you have depends on your priorities and time management.

are there requirements for their letters? Like, a humanities?

ok anyone have a clue by what they mean interprofessional environment?? i'm confused. does this mean med students have classes with people not in medical school or what is the deal.

i can't seem to type anything either in pdf. i really hope we don't have to fill this out by hand.

Don't know if anyone answered this, but use something like adobe pro. It has a typewriter feature that lets you type on it. It worked for me, but that is the backup technique.

Your school should have adobe pro, or you can buy it really cheap as a student. Its pretty useful. There might be opensource as well.

ok anyone have a clue by what they mean interprofessional environment?? i'm confused. does this mean med students have classes with people not in medical school or what is the deal.

As a physician you work with nurses, podiatrists, physical therapists, etc. That is interprofessional.

I actually thought it was a fun essay.

Yes, at RFU you are in classes with other health professional students. I think it's cool actually.

This question seemed to address the junction of physicians and research. There's a lot of ethical stuff to talk about re: challenges.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question seemed to address the junction of physicians and research. There's a lot of ethical stuff to talk about re: challenges.
I actually thought it was more along the lines...of Physicians interacting with PAs, NPs, Nurses, PTs, etc....but I guess you could tie it into research.

I actually thought it was more along the lines...of Physicians interacting with PAs, NPs, Nurses, PTs, etc....but I guess you could tie it into research.

I guess. I figured since the prompt started with "future physicians and research scientists..." that it was talking about doctors working with PhDs. That's probably a function of my surroundings; researchers at the U are pretty closely connected to the practicing MDs.

If you read their info on the prospective students page, it's talking more about what CC wrote. I think researchers can fit in there also.

Any opportunities to develop skills in developing countries at this school?

Not much info on the site :scared:

Yeah...I figured ! HAHA!

What is truly unique about this school? Is it only the inter-professional focus? I read MSAR...it doesn't give me much info either...:scared:

Is there any profound classical architecture in North Chicago? I like cities like this :D

Yeah...I figured ! HAHA!

What is truly unique about this school? Is it only the inter-professional focus? I read MSAR...it doesn't give me much info either...:scared:

Is there any profound classical architecture in North Chicago? I like cities like this :D
"life in discovery" lol
I personally have a hard time thinking nay school is unique, besides Dukes 1 year sciences program.

anyone know if we can send additional LORs beyond the 3 required? I emailed them but they're slow.

For those of you sending letters through interfolio, do you guys check the box composite letter or you pick 3 individual letters?

Also, so how did you guys fix the "autofill" in the LOR?

Sorry, I can't edit the title of the thread.

And another sorry for not posting questions sooner. Wasn't 100% sure if this was the first. Was afraid of a duplicate and flames :rolleyes:

I'm asking a moderator to change the title of this thread. You can actually ask a moderator to change the title yourself, but I'll do it for this one.

I've actually had to do this for a lot of other secondary application threads because people have not been following the format..... :(

It seems lik emany of you finished the secondaries but I am stuck, need help . I cant think of any sigfig challanges that may come baout, what can I do to think of something?

It seems lik emany of you finished the secondaries but I am stuck, need help . I cant think of any sigfig challanges that may come baout, what can I do to think of something?

Lol sigfig challenges. Opening:

Is it 2 or 3 with the decimal point? The first time I heard this I thought it was somebody's silly attempt at humor. Little did I know that it was just the beginning of the most difficult topic in all of college: significant figures.

I love it. Hilarious. Thank God they stopped tripping off that stuff after Chemistry 1. Science got so much more fun after sig figs.

Lol sigfig challenges. Opening:

Is it 2 or 3 with the decimal point? The first time I heard this I thought it was somebody's silly attempt at humor. Little did I know that it was just the beginning of the most difficult topic in all of college: significant figures.

Would it be out of line to mention how excited I am about the close proximity to Six Flags Great America? :thumbup:

How would they view listing my greatest weakness as kryptonite?

So I started typing my responses into the pdf, line by line, from a word document. After spending 30 min doing this, firefox crashed.

So I got pissed (and if you've been reading my other posts, you know I'm already no fan of Rosalind Franklin's application) and printed out the application with the essays blank. I then printed out my word doc, cut out the text portions and taped them over the lines under the questions. Made a photocopy so it was all on one sheet of paper, though it was still obvious what I did. Dropped it off in the mail 15 minutes later.

Somehow I don't think I'll be hearing from them.

Instead of using the PDF online, just save a copy onto your computer...that way you don't have to worry about internet difficulties. You can write your essays in word and then copy them line by line into the PDF file (I know it's tedious, but it at least works). You can't save any changes to the file in PDF format, but you can still print your essays. If you're really worried about it, I'd call the office of admissions and ask. Although, I highly doubt attaching additional pages will be the deciding factor in getting an interview or not.

Instead of using the PDF online, just save a copy onto your computer...that way you don't have to worry about internet difficulties. You can write your essays in word and then copy them line by line into the PDF file.

This is exactly what I did. Actually, I just left the PDF up on my desktop and only put my computer into "hibernate"; the typed info would stay on my desktop. In fact, I still have it up and I submitted my secondary last week.:thumbup:

If you're really worried about it, I'd call the office of admissions and ask. Although, I highly doubt attaching additional pages will be the deciding factor in getting an interview or not.

I'm not worried. Technically, I didn't do anything they said not to do, because I didn't attach additional sheets. I simply entered my essays via xerox machine. It was like I was in a mentos commercial.

Maybe they'll be impressed by my daring ingenuity.

So I got pissed (and if you've been reading my other posts, you know I'm already no fan of Rosalind Franklin's application) and printed out the application with the essays blank. I then printed out my word doc, cut out the text portions and taped them over the lines under the questions. Made a photocopy so it was all on one sheet of paper, though it was still obvious what I did. Dropped it off in the mail 15 minutes later.

Somehow I don't think I'll be hearing from them.

HAHAHAHAHA thats great. I was just about to post how dumb this application is... I just copied a whole essay, line by line, before I realized I messed up the spacing on a line at the top. Then I redo the thing and realize that I did the same thing again a few lines. uggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

it's a test of endurance

FYI for character limit: i did a little test with word and the pdf

i typed random crap on the first line until it fills it nearly exactly copied and pasted that line to word, and adjusted margins until it fit

basically, you can type it in word, setting your margins to 0.1 for left and right. each line should be approximately equal to one line on the app

hope that helps

Just have your word document and pdf side by side, no problems!

Anyway, does anyone know (perhaps a RFU med student) what the teaching style is ilke there? Aside from inter-pro studies, and the typical array of small labs and team-oriented learning, what else does this school offer?

someone posted a question about this earlier in this thread but i don't think anyone answered it.. well i'm having that same problem:

in the letters portion... when i fill out the name of reference in the first box, it's automatically filling out the same thing in the committee letter portion, and vice versa

am i tripping?

oh yeah, and would you guys consider a letter from my former professor/PI/graduate (MS) professor.. all 3 in one.. to be a professional letter?

I think you put graduate. Professional is like a job. Since he was your masters professor, I think that supercedes professional.

Has anyone heard anything from them? I guess it takes much longer to hear if your app has been received its sent in by regular mail.

They programmed the fields incorrectly. What they likely did was copied the Committee field and pasted it into the first of the three faculty fields... so they are linked... Im positive they must know that this is going on. I wouldnt worry at all about it. your first writer will end up in the committee field. Dont worry about it, no big deal.

someone posted a question about this earlier in this thread but i don't think anyone answered it.. well i'm having that same problem:

in the letters portion... when i fill out the name of reference in the first box, it's automatically filling out the same thing in the committee letter portion, and vice versa

am i tripping?

oh yeah, and would you guys consider a letter from my former professor/PI/graduate (MS) professor.. all 3 in one.. to be a professional letter?

Do I honestly have to use a check/money order? They don't take credit cards? Is this for real?

............. :confused::confused:

uggggggggghhhhhhh. pain in the ass

Has anyone received any notification of receipt of the secondary from RFU? BTW no status page sux.

I got a complete and under review e-mail today! The e-mail says that they will be updating us of our status like this... "CMS notifies applicants of status changes through email and/or mail."

So it looks like it could be e-mail or mail... Anyone else get this e-mail?

I got a complete and under review e-mail today! The e-mail says that they will be updating us of our status like this... "CMS notifies applicants of status changes through email and/or mail."

Didnt get that. I emailed them today abt my status though.

when did you submit ? i just turned my app in last friday so i'm just trying to figure out how long it will take

Status
Not open for further replies.