2012-2013 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so do you think they're done with the calls by now? i'm getting sad.

I've already resorted to hoping for a wait list email.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call just before 4:00. Could not be happier right now!

Congrats!

UA Phoenix would be a prime place to attend. I hope that you do well there.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate :(

Dr. Cunningham, approximately how many applicants are on the alternate list? Do you foresee UA Phoenix Med eventually accepting updates or additional letters of recommendation from alternates?

Alternate list too :(

It would be interesting to know how many remain on the alternate list and if exactly 80 hold acceptances at this time or if they over accepted.

Alternate. Can we find out where we are on the waitlist?

It would be interesting to know how many remain on the alternate list and if exactly 80 hold acceptances at this time or if they over accepted.

I think UA-Phoenix usually accepts 140~ straight off (so 140~ kids hold acceptances right now), and they'll start taking people off the waitlist once that number drops below 80~ due to accepted students deciding to go elsewhere, etc.

I am sorry to hear this. I am rooting for you.

dsoz

got my alternate status email yesterday just after 6pm... still hopeful though...

Members don't see this ad :)
At last count, if I'm not mistaken, they accepted 109. If they accepted 20 more people at the last round that's 129. And if this years turns out similar to last year, then maybe they'll take 15-16 off of the wait list. Last year they accepted 145 total. But there is no way of knowing that this year will be like last year. I just wanted to spread some glimmer of hope. 15 is way better than 5!

Entering Class of 2013
Application Update

--131 admission offers over 6 selection rounds.
--Nearly 100 post-interview rejections over 6 selection rounds.
--Over 150 considered "alternates".

The class is currently full and last year, 2 positions became open before school began. Ultimately, 4 alternates were offered admission from which 2 accepted.

Once candidates make a final decision on April 15, we will update the Alternates. Letters of intent will be welcomed once we have an update for everyone.

Entering Class of 2013
Application Update

--131 admission offers over 6 selection rounds.
--Nearly 100 post-interview rejections over 6 selection rounds.
--Over 150 considered "alternates".

The class is currently full and last year, 2 positions became open before school began. Ultimately, 4 alternates were offered admission from which 2 accepted.

Once candidates make a final decision on April 15, we will update the Alternates. Letters of intent will be welcomed once we have an update for everyone.

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Thanks for the update! I've been placed on the alternate list and was wondering what you mean by "updating the alternates". Does that mean you'll let us know how many you may pull from our group? Also, you said we should not send personal updates or letters of intent, but if there have been some significant changes to our resume, should we hold off until after April 15th?

Thank you so much for your openness about this whole process. Out of any of the schools I've applied to, your communication with everyone has been above and beyond what I could have expected. It really shows the commitment Phoenix has towards its students and it's something I appreciate incredibly. Even if this isn't my year to get into medical school, I'm 110% positive Phoenix will remain at the top of my list for next year.

Best of luck with your class,

Lauren

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

Thanks for the update! I've been placed on the alternate list and was wondering what you mean by "updating the alternates". Does that mean you'll let us know how many you may pull from our group? Also, you said we should not send personal updates or letters of intent, but if there have been some significant changes to our resume, should we hold off until after April 15th?

Thank you so much for your openness about this whole process. Out of any of the schools I've applied to, your communication with everyone has been above and beyond what I could have expected. It really shows the commitment Phoenix has towards its students and it's something I appreciate incredibly. Even if this isn't my year to get into medical school, I'm 110% positive Phoenix will remain at the top of my list for next year.

Best of luck with your class,

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I will keep the thread updated throughout the summer if/when we have movement. April 15 will be the first update and at that time, we will welcome update letters.

FYI - Our senior students receive their residency match results tomorrow! Second most exciting day on campus!

Dr. Cunningham-

Have any of the accepted applicants declined their offer in at UA Phoenix? Also have any of the "alternates" asked to be taken off the "Alternate list"?

Dr. Cunningham-

Have any of the accepted applicants declined their offer in at UA Phoenix? Also have any of the "alternates" asked to be taken off the "Alternate list"?

Fewer than 10 have declined admission and about the same have removed themselves from the Alternate pool.

Hi Tara,

Is there a way to meet with someone from the admissions office and go over my file to talk about ways to be a more competitive applicant next year?

Hi Tara,

Is there a way to meet with someone from the admissions office and go over my file to talk about ways to be a more competitive applicant next year?

Yes, but only if you've not been accepted elsewhere and after the "season" concludes. We will provide a reapplicant-focused workshop later this spring/early summer that may provide information you find helpful.

I applied only to UA Phoenix Med. By season, you mean after April 15th? Is that correct? I am currently on the waitlist, but I am working on my plan to reapply now since I know odds of moving of the waitlist are slim. Thanks again!

Tara,
Is it possible to find out some indication of where we are on the alternate list? Can we find out if we are in the top 25% or something like that? If so, should we just call for the information? Thanks!

Tara,
Is it possible to find out some indication of where we are on the alternate list? Can we find out if we are in the top 25% or something like that? If so, should we just call for the information? Thanks!

Unfortunately, we review the pool as a seat becomes available and look for similar qualities in the student pulled from the alternate list, which makes the answer to your question incredibly difficult in any terms of certainty.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to include a link to the class of 2017 FB group for those of you who are accepted and would like to join.

There are now 43 members in the group, including 6 MS1s available to answer any questions you might have. :)

Since Second Look is around the corner, some of us are trying to get together on Thursday night to hang out before the festivities. Also, the group has been a great way to meet fellow classmates and if you're looking for potential roomies, there are a few people in the group looking.

Hope to meet some of you soon!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/108027612702549/

Last edited:
hey, i'm in the FB group but if you have questions you can PM here too!

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to include a link to the class of 2017 FB group for those of you who are accepted and would like to join.

There are now 43 members in the group, including 6 MS1s available to answer any questions you might have. :)

Since Second Look is around the corner, some of us are trying to get together on Thursday night to hang out before the festivities. Also, the group has been a great way to meet fellow classmates and if you're looking for potential roomies, there are a few people in the group looking.

Hope to meet some of you soon!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/108027612702549/

We (the alternates) should be expecting our next update today, right? :)

Last edited:
Well, today was the day for people to drop UA Phoenix or all other schools, so maybe we'll see some waitlist movement in the next few days :xf:

Edit: jcdesalv beat me to it lol

Looks like no one dropped UA Phoenix based on that email :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile.

I don't understand how NO ONE could have moved from the waitlist? I am sure they didn't get exactly 80 people confirm...maybe they over accepted :/. Even less hope for us. Ugh. Time to reapply...

As shared during the Applicant Visit/Interview Day, we over-accept the class and had just 2 seats to offer in our previous application season.

Hardest decision I have ever made, but I just withdrew my acceptance from UA-Phoenix. I'm a bit upset I had to, it felt like breaking up with a significant other who I really, really loved. I had to make my buddy press "send" on the e-mail because I couldn't do it.

Anyway, I think I heard Tara mention at second-look weekend that the admissions committee meets one more time this Friday. Also, they sent an e-mail to those of who were accepted but who had yet to send in their final decision on the April 15th deadline. They said they would wait until Wednesday before automatically withdrawing us if they didn't receive our final notice. So, there's a chance there might be a few more spots open up besides myself (although there might also be a few more who solidify their position there in the same time), but I also wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one who hadn't sent in their final notice on time (I was travelling).

I'm OOS, but I'm not sure that matters in their decision who gets the spots. But anyway, I just wanted to write and say good luck. If you get in, please work really hard and represent this school well (because I would have, haha!). It is an amazing, amazing place with the most amazing staff I have seen at any medical school. I am so jealous of you!!! You have great classmates, FYI.

Best of luck!

Here's hoping that there was a mass exodus from the accepted list... Tomorrow's pretty much the last big day and as small of a chance as there is I still have hope. :/

maybe tomorrow they will pull record numbers off the waiting list??

Tomorrow is our update....the day they tell us who (if anyone) got pulled off the waitlist....at least that is what we think. Not sure. All we know is we will get an email of some sort to tell us what is going on :)

Tomorrow is our update....the day they tell us who (if anyone) got pulled off the waitlist....at least that is what we think. Not sure. All we know is we will get an email of some sort to tell us what is going on :)

Not necessarily, all we know is that an update will be given. The school will be sending a list of accepted and matriculating students to those of us matriculating for sure, but it's unknown as to whether offers to the waitlist will begin tomorrow or if there is still longer to go.

Fingers crossed for anyone still waiting, it's a long process and I know it's not a fun one! :luck:

Me neither... Maybe there was movement and they are having to make some decisions?:xf:

UA phx please update us so my life can consist of more than clicking refresh on my email!!! :)

There has not been movement to our initial roster that opens a vacancy to fill from the alternate pool.

Email a few minutes ago saying there has been no movement on the waitlist.

Dr. Cunningham,

If there are enough withdrawn acceptances tomorrow to pull from the wait list, is there a specific time of day that we could expect to be contacted and how would that invitation be sent, email or phone call? Or is contact sent throughout the day? Also, if we are one of those that are not pulled from the wait list will there be an update sent out in the coming days?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Although the deadline to declare a med school of choice is today for most schools, it will take a few days to get a good look at what, if any, room they have to fill in the class. It is not likely to happen today.

Phoenix Med has a full class, however we know these next couple of weeks can bring change. If a currently holding student is offered a position to another school, they are provided 1-2 weeks to make a decision. At this time, we do not have anyone considering an offer elsewhere.

We cannot predict when, if at all, a seat may become vacant. Trust that we have a very swift process by which a new student is identified and offered. Like you, I wish I knew when but the process is out if our hands, and yours.

Remain positive and continue working on your reapplication, taking full advantage of rewriting essays, updating letters and apply in June.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.