2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just letting everyone interested in this thread know that I sent my letter of withdrawal to EVMS. I am a OOS male so hopefully one of you here get a spot at the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I just sent my withdrawal. I am an IS Male. Hope a reapplicant gets my spot but any of you eager applicants will do. Good luck to you all.

After 3 years, I finally got my first acceptance at Ross University in the Caribbean, which was vaguely anticlimactic. At least I know I'm going to medical school, but I hope I hear from EVMS soon.... OOS female, upper 1/3

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI: I called today to get some particular info regarding 15 May and how that will work for us waitlisters.

Basically, as a student declines, the spot is filled (immediately). Thus, there is not going to be a mass email regarding acceptances off of the wait list. They said that they are not anticipating a large amount of declines--there has not been a lot of activity on the waitlist, and likely there will not be as much as in previous years. This is the case for most med schools this year (most likely in correlation with the economic downturn).

Also, it is in fact true that as an OOS male declines, an OOS waitlist male is accepted. This means that it doesn't necessarily matter where you are on the waitlist. If there are no OOS males comparable to the one who declined in the top third, they go to the middle third.

Not to discourage anyone, I just wanted to pass on what I heard. If there are any IS females thinking about withdrawing, I'll gladly take your spot!! Just let them know that I've got dibs. ;)

Thanks for the info Vanessa. It's a little discouraging that the WL hasn't moved much this year. Hopefully things will change in the coming months. :luck:

Keep the hopes up guys, was accepted last year OOS female top 1/3 in early June!

dumb question, but what do i need to do to withdraw?

sorrryyyyyyyy for asking

but on the bright side, the sooner i find out, some ISer can get my spot :)

dumb question, but what do i need to do to withdraw?

sorrryyyyyyyy for asking

but on the bright side, the sooner i find out, some ISer can get my spot :)

They sent out an email recently (this week or last) asking for withdraws... the email said to just reply directly. Here's the email address: [email protected]

That should be all you need to do! Thanks for letting us know you're releasing your spot... it keeps our hopes up! Good luck to you, friend!

Just found out that I've been accepted to EVMS!

Btw, I'm OOS. I was put on the top third of the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys! I just called them for a status check and they let me know the good news. They said that an acceptance package will be arriving by mail very soon.

I now have a decision to make....

btw, I'm OOS male.

I just sent an e-mail saying that i want to withdraw my application. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! :)

Received the acceptance letter today. OOS, upper 1/3, male. elated. Good luck to everyone.

Wow, it seems like almost all of the action is in the "OOS male" category. I'm considering gender-reassignment surgery. :)

I got the letter through snail mail yesterday!!! Sooo super excited! OOS Female, top 1/3.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I had my boss (I do psych research) send a letter and I sent an update letter telling them about my current research and publications that are in the works. I did both of these around the end of April/early May.

Good luck all of you still waiting to hear!

Last edited:
IS Female Accepted off the top 1/3 of the waitlist- 2nd time applicant.

Got the letter today- good luck to everyone!

cheydak3 - did you get an invite to 2nd look or a phone interview with Dr. Solhaug?

I did not receive a 2nd look or speak with Dr. Solhaug. I interviewed in October and was waitlisted in November. I remained on the top 1/3 of the IS waitlist all year. In January, I sent a LOI to the Dean and I called monthly to check on my status. However, this was my 2nd year on the waitlist- I think my improved MCAT score helped me. Hope this info helps :)

I withdrew today, so some lucky OOS male will get my spot. Good luck everyone!

Thanks!! really hope i can get off that waitlist. 3rd time applicant here !!!

I'll post this here and the class thread so nobody misses it.

Who's looking for housing and someone to live with? It doesn't look like UVa is going to be pulling from the waitlist, so I have to start looking. I'm a male, but I live with either sex. I'm not some weirdo, promise :laugh:

Anyways, email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

IS Female- withdrew acceptance today. G-luck everyone.

Fortunately for someone I will be withdrawing my application sometime this week. I have received an acceptance at another school that makes more sense for me to attend. I really loved EVMS as it is a great school. The biggest influence on my decision was location. Good Luck to everyone.

Hey everyone! I'll be withdrawing on Monday or Tuesday. I'm an IS male, so I hope someone here gets lucky!

Thanks UVAbme2009!!! I got a letter last Friday dated Wednesday offering me a position; IS male. Best of luck to everyone!

Did anyone hear that tuition will be increasing starting in the 2009-2010 class? IS tuition will be $25,779 and OOS tuition will be $48,539 per academic year. I wonder if this will effect people's decisions...maybe more people might get off the waitlist if there are some detered by this price increase.

yeah i got that email today... i think a lot of public schools will be raising tuition in coming weeks / years

I withdrew about an hour ago. Good luck!

greetings everyone! hope your summers are treating you well. i wanted to see if any of you (male or female) still need a place to live. A fellow M2 (female) and I (male) are looking for a 3rd roommate to live in a bomb townhouse (only 5 years old!) in the west ghent area. You will have your own bathroom, a parking spot (possibly in our garage), and of course share all the amenities with us (washer/dryer, decked out kitchen with stainless steel appliances, balcony off the kitchen). It is located at Redgate and Orapax, and the neighborhood is very quiet and nice.

Rent: $680-700/month (electric, cable, and gas not included)
Start Date: The lease starts July 15, but we can work with someone looking to start August 1.

We are looking for a roommate who is clean, considerate, relatively quiet, but can still chill and hang out for a couple drinks/dinner every now and then.

Please send me a private message if you're interested!

Does anyone know what the requirements are to switch to IS? A lot of schools let you establish residency after a year, does EVMS do that? Otherwise, this is going to kill me fiscally. I do have my fiancee moving with me, so I can probably get residency through him after a year. Any ideas?

Does anyone know what the requirements are to switch to IS? A lot of schools let you establish residency after a year, does EVMS do that? Otherwise, this is going to kill me fiscally. I do have my fiancee moving with me, so I can probably get residency through him after a year. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, Virginia is really strict about this - if you move to the state for the purpose of becoming a student here, you can not become an in state resident for tuition purposes.... pretty much ever haha. Doesn't matter if you get a job and work here, etc etc.

Hey I just gave up my seat at EVMS this morning. Good luck everyone!

Female roommate needed - Ghent House on Westover Ave
Available after the first week in August.
Security deposit = $500, and 1st and last months rent due at move-in.

rent - $475
utilities ~ $100

3-story house, furnished except for the extra room
Includes:
Updated Kitchen w/dishwasher
Laundry Room
Community area - living room/dining room/foyer
Garage area for storage
Back porch with grill

*Short walk (three blocks) from EVMS
Close to Colley Ave shops and restaurants
Easy access to mid-town tunnel off Hampton Blvd

*Currently three females living in the house, all upcoming second year students. Looking for a professional, clean female roommate. E-mail [email protected] or facebook msg Christina Funari for more details/pictures.

Hey all,
I am going to be a Medical Masters student (MS-1) this fall and am just signing a lease for a sunny 2BR/2FullBA appt across the street from EVMS that starts on August 15th. Its on Colley and Redgate, has a W/D, separate living and dining rooms, and a balcony/porch. The rent is 675 and water/trash/recycling are included. Photos are here:

http://www.cavalierland.com/properties/aberdeen.html

Private message me if you are interested in rooming with me :)

Anyone have good suggestions where to look for housing? I'm checking craigslist and thinking about a realtor. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Wooohoooo! Just received the call a little while ago! Top 1/3 OOS male, heading to Norfolk in August!

sadly i think virginia requires u pay taxes for a certain amount of years before u get IS residential status (ive heard 7 years).

Anyone have good suggestions where to look for housing? I'm checking craigslist and thinking about a realtor. Any ideas?
Thanks!

i hear pembroke towers and hague towers are nice and close by, but they are a lil pricey...

Hi everyone
I am a female M1 looking for a roommate to share a two-bedroom apartment at Hague Park apartments.
Rent is $625.00 / month including utilities. The apartment is really nice, has a balcony, is right across the street from EVMS and has a pool and gym in it.
send me an e-mail is you are interested!

[email protected]

I look forward to meeting everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.