2008-2009 Northwestern (Feinberg) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as a heads up, Northwestern is still offering interviews...I got one a couple days ago, but withdrew because I can't afford these trips anymore :laugh: Good luck to anyone still waiting for an interview invite! :luck:

i want one, complete since 8/12 with no word?! although my sister lives in chicago and said it was -27 today :scared: i dunno if i could handle that living in cali my whole life!

Members don't see this ad.

Is NW a silent rejection type of place? Does anyone know when they started rejecting last year? I feel like I should just accept my fate, but I want to be officially rejected first...

Is NW a silent rejection type of place? Does anyone know when they started rejecting last year? I feel like I should just accept my fate, but I want to be officially rejected first...
I don't think it's over yet! The possible interview days for a mid Jan invite were all in February (and even late Jan). I think there's at least a week or two of invites left.

Members don't see this ad :)

I read previous years' threads a while back and I think they sent surface mail rejections starting in January sometime.

Hey guys,

I emailed the admissions office today. This is what they told me:

"Our interview season runs mid September through the end of February. Final interview invitations will probably be out by the end of January and all decisions will be out to applicants by early March."

So they are still sending out invites -

It seems that the most recent batch of acceptances went out today? Sadly, I was not in that batch. Congrats to those of you who did get in! I'm surprised that they didn't take the three day weekend.

Do you think it would be frowned upon to drop off a pre-interview LOI in person? I work within a few blocks of feinberg and it would be quicker than mailing something.

Pre-interview as in you've been invited but haven't gone yet or pre-interview as in you haven't been invited yet? I don't think the admissions staff will care, to be honest. They seemed nice when I was there, and I'm sure they'll just take the letter and file it. As long as you don't harass them with questions like "when will I hear?", I think you're fine.

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to drop by and let you know that I declined an interview offer at Northwestern today so hopefully one of you guys will get my spot!

Good luck!

Also: I called today and apparently they haven't finished reviewing all December applicants. No decision has been made on my application, and I interviewed on 12/9. Do they send you a letter to tell you that you're deferred?

Do they send you a letter to tell you that you're deferred?

Yes, they do send one. Seems to be a little delayed from when people find out they have been accepted.

Good luck!

anyone have any idea how close NW is to giving out all of its offers of admissions? i have an interview in the third week of february and was just wondering if NW interviews for waitlist at this point, or if you know of any applicants who interviewed this late and was accepted? thanks!

When I interviewed there today they told us that they would probably finish reviewing applications around late-Feb / early-March but that we probably wouldn't be finding out until mid-March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Northwestern accepts updates? If they do, do they have a preferred way for updates? A hard copy of a letter, or an e-mail, or whatever?

I just had my interview and they encouraged us to send updates/letter of interest. Not sure what format they would prefer though.

For those of you who have interviewed at NW, what were your impressions of the curriculum/facilities/community, etc?

I didn't have any time to really hang around during my interview, so my experience was limited to the quick tour. It seemed that most of the students had a significant amount of free time.

Also, I think their histology classes don't use microscopes. They have digital slides that they look at. And that's nice because microscopes are lame.

hopefully this will cause wild and crazy neuroticism....:laugh:

but i have reason to believe that feinberg has accepted about 40 students.

and... there are 19 acceptances for 2009 on the mdapps page. and 10 acceptances on sdn's acceptance thread. so about 1/4 to 1/2 of accepted are posting on these sites???

and i have the last three posts so ill stop.

Lol how the hell do you figure that? Someone has some inside info...

lol you counted the email addresses too, eh?

haha I get it.

Last edited:

you guessed it. i actually counted lines and estimated... my powers of estimation are what got me in i think. i wanted to know what type of fraction of people are sdn posters. i think 20% seems fairly reasonable.

i wonder why they didn't blind carbon copy it...

you guessed it. i actually counted lines and estimated... my powers of estimation are what got me in i think. i wanted to know what type of fraction of people are sdn posters. i think 20% seems fairly reasonable.

i wonder why they didn't blind carbon copy it...

haha which "fermi" question were you asked during the panel

Haha, so did I...

But I'm guessing there were multiple emails because mine had all last names in the first half-ish of the alphabet. Feinberg only accepting people with last names A-K? Unlikely.

Haha, so did I...

But I'm guessing there were multiple emails because mine had all last names in the first half-ish of the alphabet. Feinberg only accepting people with last names A-K? Unlikely.

True, I didnt even notice the last names. Mine included those in the middle of the alphabet, so I'm guessing ~120 acceptances so far.

True, I didnt even notice the last names. Mine included those in the middle of the alphabet, so I'm guessing ~120 acceptances so far.

I'm glad there's more than one over-analyzer here :)

To you guys still waiting, they probably extend ~300 acceptances, so there are many more to come!

Exactly. The majority of the decisions are made in March, so its all good for those still waiting.

They never sent me the "you're deferred" letter. Wonder if they're just getting lazy because January was close to March? Did anyone get such a letter in January?

Haha, so did I...

nice catch

They never sent me the "you're deferred" letter. Wonder if they're just getting lazy because January was close to March? Did anyone get such a letter in January?

Do they send out anything? I did not get anything. I am assuming rejection by this point as I was under review since early august. I even called the office to make sure they have everything they needed.

They dont' send a letter. They just inform you if/when you get an interview. It seems like very few schools are actually willing to give you that amount of information.

Yup. A friend of mine was invited toward the end of last week, I think. And the interview is scheduled for early next week.

got the invite today. going at the very end of the month or something.

to those who got interviews recently, when were you complete? anyone early in the game?

I got an interview invite a few weeks ago, and I was complete in August! Their last day of interview is February 27th though, which I was surprised about... Good luck everyone!

Anyone know where to address the LOI to?

Will it be ridiculous to send an "in the area e-mail" if I'm traveling to the East Coast from CA. I mean it's halfway there :rolleyes:

does anyone know how fast the turnaround is post-interview? on the website it says 4-6 weeks but do they really follow it?

i'm coming up on 4 weeks and i really want to get in!! :xf:

does anyone know how fast the turnaround is post-interview? on the website it says 4-6 weeks but do they really follow it?

My decision came on the 6 week mark exactly. I think deferment notifications might come later than that. I definitely recall weeks 4-6 being extremely tense for me! Good luck!

When I interviewed in early January they told us not to expect to hear before early March. It's been about 6 weeks for me and no news yet!

I interviewed in mid-December and STILL have gotten no notice. I assume I have been deferred, but no letter has arrived. I guess I'm waiting until March.

wow, it sounds like they are pretty behind. i guess i'll try not get my hopes up to hear from them before march. good luck to you guys too! any ideas for distractions? :p i find that time passes by faster when i'm busy..

I interviewed late January and got my acceptance Feb 9.

I think it may be a little random... depending on which pile of files they happen to get through at any given meeting.

in case anyone was wondering, these guys will not offer anymore interviews this season, i called the office and asked

When I intervied a few weeks ago they told us that they probably wouldn't have the final decisions ready until early March, and that we would find out sometime around mid-March.

Status
Not open for further replies.