2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The strange thing is I've watched my fair share of raycom (funkydrmonkey - its the station on which all the UNC sporting events are broadcasted).

The strange thing is I've watched my fair share of raycom (funkydrmonkey - its the station on which all the UNC sporting events are broadcasted).

No wonder I have not gotten an interview... I know almost nothing about NC itself. My sister lives 150 miles away, which is one of the reasons I applied, and it is an awesome school with amazing clinical and research opportunities, but besides that Nada... Oops:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
No wonder I have not gotten an interview... I know almost nothing about NC itself. My sister lives 150 miles away, which is one of the reasons I applied, and it is an awesome school with amazing clinical and research opportunities, but besides that Nada... Oops:oops:
haha i don't think understanding that message is essential to you knowledge of NC. soooo acc sports are broadcasted on raycom when not on espn (which USED to be almost never during football season- till this year at least). last year at a home NC State game, a player was given a personal foul, and the ref announced it as "penalty on number so and so- player was giving him the business." its on youtube if you search the phrase. now you all know everything you need to for your UNC interviews when you get them. :)

haha i don't think understanding that message is essential to you knowledge of NC. soooo acc sports are broadcasted on raycom when not on espn (which USED to be almost never during football season- till this year at least). last year at a home NC State game, a player was given a personal foul, and the ref announced it as "penalty on number so and so- player was giving him the business." its on youtube if you search the phrase. now you all know everything you need to for your UNC interviews when you get them. :)

Dreith did it first. Bills Jets =)

@fenixwbp

can u check ur student central page and see what it says under the "medical school" option in the personal information field?:)

I went and checked it out. I don't think I can access that unless I'm a current or former student. Which I'm not. Sorry.

Someone asked for my stats too. They're nothing extraordinary.
GPA: 3.61
BCPM: 3.68
MCAT: 11/11/11

The impression I've always gotten from Chapel Hill is that the numbers get you through the door, but during and after the interview they're really looking at what you can contribute to the class and your non-quantitative qualities.

I know when my interviewer called, she commented strongly on my essays and said they were a big part of why I was given such an early acceptance.

Sorry, let me clarify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslz06J9hFw

Good luck to everyone!

good ol' marty lyons... totally off topic, i know, but he was my pee-wee basketball coach when i was in 1st grade! i went to school with one of his sons (who is a doctor now, i believe).

anyway, good luck to all of you applying to UNC this year! i'll keep my fingers (and toes) crossed for you!

Ghost:
Regarding your question...I checked my student central page, and I can access my medical school profile, but it's blank except my demographics. I'm wondering if they do this for everyone who has applied...? (I've interviewed but have not heard back.) When I click on the law/dental school it says "You are not active in the Type of Student indicated.Choose another." This is strange...

I can tell you that if you are admitted, the initial admissions column will say "Fall 2009". However, this may not be updated until after the med school registers you for classes so don't count on this site providing you with any information regarding acceptances because you probably won't be registered for classes until about 3-4 weeks before the Fall 2009 semester begins.

I can tell you that if you are admitted, the initial admissions column will say "Fall 2009". However, this may not be updated until after the med school registers you for classes so don't count on this site providing you with any information regarding acceptances because you probably won't be registered for classes until about 3-4 weeks before the Fall 2009 semester begins.

Great. Just another website I am going to obsessively check for the next 6 weeks.

I agree with 4Health, it's not probably not gonna say anything until you accept ur offer at UNC.

But I think there's something else we can obsessively check. If UNC requires you to pay a deposit for them to hold your acceptance position, then I think the "billing statement" option will show something if they give u an offer.

... or we can just wait patiently for the phone call that may nvr arrive :(

that "student personal information" thing works for me too, but does not work for law/jd or dental. i dont think it means anything

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who's interviewed gotten a response yet? If so, how long did it take after your interview? I just interviewed yesterday, and I'm thrilled at the possibility of going to this school.

Has anyone who's interviewed gotten a response yet? If so, how long did it take after your interview? I just interviewed yesterday, and I'm thrilled at the possibility of going to this school.
End of september for me...nothing yet....I thought I read somewhere 4-6 weeks and with UNC being notoriously slow maybe make that 8 weeks.

Dr. Parker said that the committee meets every other week, but no news is good news. They reject people first.

Have any more OOS applicants either gotten interview invites/rejections? I thought I read earlier on this thread that the admissions office said that they were going to contact us last week? (I understand, though, that this was probably not set in stone :) ) Just hoping for an update!

Also, I am obviously not an IS student, but I was wondering if anyone knows if UNC looks more favorably upon people with ties to the state? I know some state schools do this...? I grew up in Chapel Hill (kindergarten-hs graduation) and only established residency in another state when I (without thinking about this consequence...) took a year off. My dad and brother also live in Chapel Hill and I made sure to mention this in my secondary. Does this matter at all?

:luck::luck::luck::luck:Good luck to all!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I added UNC late, and I'm OOS. Is there any chance of me receiving a secondary at this point? (3.7BCPM/36Q)

Druzie- When I called the admissions office before receiving my secondary, they said they don't send secondaries to anyone OOS w/an MCAT under 33 and GPA under 3.5/6. Whether that means that everyone above this cut off gets a secondary, or whether they look at other factors, I don't know. Hope that helps a little!

Druzie- When I called the admissions office before receiving my secondary, they said they don't send secondaries to anyone OOS w/an MCAT under 33 and GPA under 3.5/6. Whether that means that everyone above this cut off gets a secondary, or whether they look at other factors, I don't know. Hope that helps a little!

This isn't true. I am OOS and got a secondary and an interview with one of my stats below that. Non-URM.

This isn't true. I am OOS and got a secondary and an interview with one of my stats below that. Non-URM.

Same here, i def have other factors that make my app stand out, whether this has helped me out in getting a secondary or not i dont know

Oops! Sorry guys, hope I didn't cause too much confusion. I must have either misunderstood or I wasn't told the whole story. I guess this is why the best thing to do is always to ask the actual office, not SDN! (although I'm guilty of it too...)

Today being the official eight week mark from when I received the 'We will call you about an interview' email I decided to call and see what was up. I was told that they had not made a decision on my app. yet. I was under the impression that if I was IS and received a secondary I would get an interview?

Thanks for the replies shnuffles, Morozovo, Fiko18.

Coordinating is so difficult. My partner/bf is applying for a faculty job at UNC (not the med school), which is why I added it so late. I don't know how much this will matter to them, but I suppose mentioning it wouldn't hurt.

Do y'all think calling or emailing would be more effective?

Today being the official eight week mark from when I received the 'We will call you about an interview' email I decided to call and see what was up. I was told that they had not made a decision on my app. yet. I was under the impression that if I was IS and received a secondary I would get an interview?

hmm...they might be still verifying your residency stuff? I think it took a couple of weeks for them to call me. I also I got a snail mail letter saying that even though I haven't lived here for 12 months yet, I'll be IS for the admissions process. Did you get a snail mail letter regarding your residency?

hmm...they might be still verifying your residency stuff? I think it took a couple of weeks for them to call me. I also I got a snail mail letter saying that even though I haven't lived here for 12 months yet, I'll be IS for the admissions process. Did you get a snail mail letter regarding your residency?

Yeah I received that right after I was complete. I am confused here.

wow, i just got an interview invite, im in shock

YESSSS!!! I got an interview invite today too! I must have sounded like the biggest babbling idiot on the phone :) I'm so excited!

The fact that the 15 NC votes went to Obama makes me wanna come to UNC even more... come on and invite me, please?

should the secondary essay be double or single spaced?

did anyone else interview already? I had my interview last month and thought my interview day was a bit strange compared to some schools I've seen.

To send our rec letters, do we need to do anything more than use virtualevals, like fill out a form or call to check in with them? I got the interview invite, but not the email with instructions yet.

Thanks in advance!

How was it strange?

It was short. There was no finance talk (just given a sheet of paper), no address by the dean, no package of stuff for the school, and there was three people on my interview day. Potential students also came in at different times. Just a different experience than what I was used to.

It was short. There was no finance talk (just given a sheet of paper), no address by the dean, no package of stuff for the school, and there was three people on my interview day. Potential students also came in at different times. Just a different experience than what I was used to.

My UCLA interview was like that. They did nothing to try to sell the school? Hmm... That is odd... and a bit off-putting, but UNC, I will still love you anyway, if you just freaking invite me!

does anyone know whether the essay should be single-spaced or double spaced?

Since they specified font and margins; I'm surprised they did not include this info. What has everyone else done?

does anyone know whether the essay should be single-spaced or double spaced?

Since they specified font and margins; I'm surprised they did not include this info. What has everyone else done?

Sorry for ignoring you :oops:
I did single spaced. You can call and ask if you are not comfortable, and you want to be sure...

The fact that the 15 NC votes went to Obama makes me wanna come to UNC even more... come on and invite me, please?

damn, u have like 20 something interviews, just relax. ppl don't know how to be grateful anymore

damn, u have like 20 something interviews, just relax. ppl don't know how to be grateful anymore

Eh, I am greedy:rolleyes:
By the way Fiko, when were you complete?

hey, I don't blame funkydrmonkey...after spending all that time/money on apps, AND with competitive stats, I'd sure hope the interview invites were rolling in!

:luck:Best of luck to everyone!!:luck:

hey, I don't blame funkydrmonkey...after spending all that time/money on apps, AND with competitive stats, I'd sure hope the interview invites were rolling in!

:luck:Best of luck to everyone!!:luck:

Thanks. I am guessing you are OOS. When were you complete by the way?

does anyone know the OOS interviewed/accepted numbers? Thanks!!:)

I was complete sometime in the first week of October

Status
Not open for further replies.