2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's assuming we hear early....it might not be until August, if at all....:cool:

Optimism lajumelleali, optimism :)

it was stated earlier on this thread that applicants cannot reapply if they still have outstanding applications at even one school.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that is true, however, I would call or email AMCAS just to make sure.

Optimism lajumelleali, optimism :)

it was stated earlier on this thread that applicants cannot reapply if they still have outstanding applications at even one school.
I am optimistic, but also realistic. There's usually not much movement until May 15th when decisions "have" to be made toward one school or another, so I'm expecting to hear then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the committee even meet this month?

hello all. How are the decisions coming along? Hope you get in.
Check out why UNC thread for those who really didn't have their say on the admissions process in this thread.

Cheers!

hello all. How are the decisions coming along? Hope you get in.
Check out why UNC thread for those who really didn't have their say on the admissions process in this thread.

Cheers!

Please go away...

dude are you serious? can you be banned for hijacking threads. someone, please? jgberken, anyone?

BTW, for those here who will be going to UNC in the fall, is anyone else already in the Chapel Hill area?

I live in North Raleigh, beside 540, and it's about a 40 minute drive to Chapel Hill, less on a good day. However, I'll move closer for school. I look forward to visiting home on weekends to pick up free groceries and cash :whistle:

I only have 2 days of college classes left :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in North Raleigh, beside 540, and it's about a 40 minute drive to Chapel Hill, less on a good day. However, I'll move closer for school. I look forward to visiting home on weekends to pick up free groceries and cash :whistle:

Are you going to UNC now? You said you got a merit scholarship yes? Would you mind telling us your MCAT/GPA stats?

Haha. I went UNC undergrad and my family lives in Cary. Same benefits. :D Now I work in CH and still get free food. :cool:

Are you going to UNC now? You said you got a merit scholarship yes? Would you mind telling us your MCAT/GPA stats?

I attend Hampton University. Tomorrow is my last day of classes!

Yes, I got a merit scholarship to Chapel Hill that covers my tuition. IDK specifically what it was based on, but I am fairly positive it was not based on my MCAT because I didn't even break a 30. Yes, I KNOW my score is low. I studied on my own and didn't take a class, IDK if that would have even made a difference. Please don't let this disclosure cause an argument over UNC admission policies etc.

On a brighter note, my GPA at time of application was a 3.96 and I am a chemistry major. Other things on my application were lots of community service, as I am president of the American Red Cross Club and heavily involved with Colleges Against Cancer/Relay for Life. I interned at a cocaine treatment clinic for a summer and did neuroscience research at NYU another. I do a lot of other non-premed stuff too, like I'm a fashion writer for my school paper, it was brought up during the interview and didn't seemed to be looked down upon.

There are so many fantastic applicants to UNC I honestly have no idea how they give out acceptances or scholarships, but I'm glad they saw something in me! I think they gave me confidence I didn't even have lol. I won't let you down Mr. Keith!!!

Yes, I got a merit scholarship to Chapel Hill that covers my tuition. IDK specifically what it was based on, but I am fairly positive it was not based on my MCAT because I didn't even break a 30. Yes, I KNOW my score is low. I studied on my own and didn't take a class, IDK if that would have even made a difference. Please don't let this disclosure cause an argument over UNC admission policies etc.

On a brighter note, my GPA at time of application was a 3.96 and I am a chemistry major. Other things on my application were lots of community service, as I am president of the American Red Cross Club and heavily involved with Colleges Against Cancer/Relay for Life. I interned at a cocaine treatment clinic for a summer and did neuroscience research at NYU another. I do a lot of other non-premed stuff too, like I'm a fashion writer for my school paper, it was brought up during the interview and didn't seemed to be looked down upon.

There are so many fantastic applicants to UNC I honestly have no idea how they give out acceptances or scholarships, but I'm glad they saw something in me! I think they gave me confidence I didn't even have lol. I won't let you down Mr. Keith!!!

Congrats on the scholarship. The quality of an applicant isn't always based on numbers. It sounds like you had some really unique experiences!

Since Neil100's account is on hold, I doubt there is going to be any argument over UNC's admissions policies for a while.

Congrats! That is great :)

Did you apply URM by any chance? I just googled the Hampton University website out of curiosity for your school.

For anyone who's interested they posted the draft of our first year schedule. The link for the pdf is on the right hand column of this page:

http://www.med.unc.edu/www/education/administration/committees/firstyear/copy_of_members

For right now it looks like they only scheduled exams for molecules to cells

any other WLers get their hopes up by looking through the schedule/website? maybe it's just me....

The more I read about being an MS1 at UNC, the more I want there to be good news come May 15. :xf:

Congrats on the scholarship. The quality of an applicant isn't always based on numbers. It sounds like you had some really unique experiences!

Since Neil100's account is on hold, I doubt there is going to be any argument over UNC's admissions policies for a while.

Congrats Lauren87!

haha, I second that Aladdin. I wonder how long his account will be kept on hold?

Congrats! It sounds like it's gonna be a pretty diverse (and laid back?) class, which is awesome. I feel like I'll be the odd ball, coming from an engineering background (computers), as well as being a bit older than everyone (career changer).

I am curious to hear from others who got merit scholarships. As I understand it, they give out very few of these, and they only do it once before MS1.

Congrats! That is great :)

Did you apply URM by any chance? I just googled the Hampton University website out of curiosity for your school.

I know who lauren is, Lauren T. (i won't give away the full name for anonymity). But yes she is URM.

I know who lauren is, Lauren T. (i won't give away the full name for anonymity). But yes she is URM.

you didn't tell me you know me!!!! why not?! PM me or something...lol.

my last day of class! I'm in the math lab (where I work) now. I have analytical chem followed my bichem lab-where our Sri Lankan teacher cooked for us-and then I'm done! :clap:

Last edited:
any other WLers get their hopes up by looking through the schedule/website? maybe it's just me....

The more I read about being an MS1 at UNC, the more I want there to be good news come May 15. :xf:

The more if find out about UNC, the more I love it. Trying to not get my hopes up too high... :xf:

Hey guys...im looking for a woman roomate to cook, clean, and bake cakes for me. Hit me up if your interested

Hey guys...im looking for a woman roomate to cook, clean, and bake cakes for me. Hit me up if your interested

LOL chubbs - she's called marriage. :laugh:

(sorry to sound so sexist)

also, out of curiosity, are there alot of married folks starting this august? would love to hear the pros and cons you've thought through regarding med school and going through four years with a spouse....

The more if find out about UNC, the more I love it. Trying to not get my hopes up too high... :xf:

Good news will come...I just don't think it's healthy for me to be rummaging through med.unc.edu every single day.

also, out of curiousity, are there alot of married folks starting this august? would love to hear the pros and cons you've thought through regarding med school and going through four years with a spouse....
Yes..something like a wife..without all the negatives, haha.

also, out of curiosity, are there alot of married folks starting this august? would love to hear the pros and cons you've thought through regarding med school and going through four years with a spouse....

I'm getting married August 8th, and we start the 10th... :p

She's applying this next cycle, so we'll likely have to do some long-distance for a while.

new to sdn, + 1 on the WL and yes, the more I read about UNC the more excited I get. I am married (have been for a year now) and personally I am really glad to have had that year before starting school (hopefully!) because it was a pretty big adjustment. Everyone is different though! unfortunately for my husband, I dont spend all of my time cooking, cleaning, and baking cakes :p so don't get your hopes up too high about that one!

new to sdn, + 1 on the WL and yes, the more I read about UNC the more excited I get. I am married (have been for a year now) and personally I am really glad to have had that year before starting school (hopefully!) because it was a pretty big adjustment. Everyone is different though! unfortunately for my husband, I dont spend all of my time cooking, cleaning, and baking cakes :p so don't get your hopes up too high about that one!
Blaspheme!!!

lol jk

Blaspheme!!!

lol jk

My (all but) fiance is actually the one who does all the cooking,which will save me a lot of time in med school. Although I love to bake for fun and then give it away.

He and I picked places to apply together (he does sea turtle research so we needed to stay coastal) and he's following me wherever I go, although we're hoping to stay here. We spent the last year living together after a year apart, which has really solidified things for us and given us some good solid, low stress time together. We're planning on getting married the summer between 1st and 2nd year. I think the biggest thing for us is going to be making time together, but we both have a pretty good idea what we're getting into (I've done a premed master's and we have a few friends in med school), w hich I think helps.

Congrats Thama!

we're talking about the spouse that isn't in med school that could, arguably should, do the cooking, cleaning, baking and shakin'...haha

I'm getting married August 8th, and we start the 10th... :p

She's applying this next cycle, so we'll likely have to do some long-distance for a while.

I give long-distance new meaning. 8000+ miles.

well, I suppose it could be worse...

Congrats Thama :)

I'm married... 2 years now on Tuesday. I've been out of college for 3 years... neither me nor my husband reaaalllly cooks... we live on frozen food and take out :)

I'm glad I will have at least one person around who isn't in med school as a nice escape.

Thanks, y'all.

8000 miles? :eek: Does she live in China?

haha, well, close enough. Born in Venezuela and moved to HK ~10 years ago.

She's ready for a change of scenary (at least that's what she keeps hinting at)....kinda need to figure out where i'll be next year and what i'm doing before taking big steps. :xf:UNC waitlist:xf:

...I actually lucked out with having a 1-1 tour during my interview day at UNC with a non-trad who was married. Call me crazy, but there was this vibe I had (still do) that there was a reason why I had that unique interview experience. He really shared a lot of insight in what it is like to be in med school in a different position than most of his class (ie married), but also commented on how they adjusted to it as husband and wife. I think it's pretty freakin' awesome to be a med student and waking up every morning (at least on the nights that you get to sleep) with the person you're spending the rest of your life with supporting you in all ways through 4+ tough years. On that note, I think UNC does a fantastic job of putting each class together that not only brings together 160 hard working folks, but a diverse group in which everyone also brings something special to the table.

for you chubbs...she can cook, clean, bake and shake. :clap:

In the schedule, what is ICM? I thought classes at Carolina only went half-day? :xf:

In the schedule, what is ICM? I thought classes at Carolina only went half-day? :xf:

I guess in the interview they didn't ask you about the curriculum or what you like.

ICM = Intro to Clinical Medicine.

From what I understand, ICM isn't every day. If you look up the schedule, on exam weeks every day of ICM is labeled as an exam, which looks to me like you have a certain day of the week when you do it. Could be wrong though...

haha, well, close enough. Born in Venezuela and moved to HK ~10 years ago.

She's ready for a change of scenary (at least that's what she keeps hinting at)....kinda need to figure out where i'll be next year and what i'm doing before taking big steps. :xf:UNC waitlist:xf:

...I actually lucked out with having a 1-1 tour during my interview day at UNC with a non-trad who was married. Call me crazy, but there was this vibe I had (still do) that there was a reason why I had that unique interview experience. He really shared a lot of insight in what it is like to be in med school in a different position than most of his class (ie married), but also commented on how they adjusted to it as husband and wife. I think it's pretty freakin' awesome to be a med student and waking up every morning (at least on the nights that you get to sleep) with the person you're spending the rest of your life with supporting you in all ways through 4+ tough years. On that note, I think UNC does a fantastic job of putting each class together that not only brings together 160 hard working folks, but a diverse group in which everyone also brings something special to the table.

for you chubbs...she can cook, clean, bake and shake. :clap:

Fellow Latina wife... mine's Cuban. :D

That's a big transition though, from HK to Chapel Hill. Hopefully she likes trees. And I agree about the class diversity issue... how boring would the class be if they listened to a certain unnamed poster and just took the 160 highest MCAT and GPA kids?

I think each student has ICM one day each week. Generally, you are done by 12-1.

Fellow Latina wife... mine's Cuban. :D

That's a big transition though, from HK to Chapel Hill. Hopefully she likes trees. And I agree about the class diversity issue... how boring would the class be if they listened to a certain unnamed poster and just took the 160 highest MCAT and GPA kids?

It's called WashU :laugh:

Anyone still looking for a roommate to share a great low cost apartment near UNC?

I sure hope you live up to his expectations. For those of you who irrationally and emotionally hate what I say, I really do mean that in a good way.

:thumbup:. They probably saw something special in you, I guess!

Hi everybody. I am on the waitlist and I'm hoping that we get some good news next month. :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.